Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Is irregular good r bad
Jul 31, 2020 12:35 AM
Jul 2020
Irregular magic high I watched upto 13 EPs
Now my interest was gone. It's so boring nthg intrested thing's happened I'm thinking should I continue r leave it
Anime going slowly
I give irregular magic high school 4/10
If I continue irregular may be my opinion change
Irregular really irregular and it's getting season 2 😪
Jul 31, 2020 12:39 AM

Feb 2018
nothing special, science fiction makes me confused but it's okay.
Jul 31, 2020 12:49 AM

Nov 2011
You make a thread for every anime you watch, do you ?
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 31, 2020 1:00 AM
Jul 2019
I got cancer by reading your post. But anyway, I'm currently reading the light novel and it's way better than the anime. As for the anime itself, I wasn't bored in the slightest. I enjoyed it.
Jul 31, 2020 1:01 AM

Nov 2019
It's fucking terrible, on par with Code Geass and Konosuba (that bad), probably one of the worst anime I've ever seen. You better drop it, you won't miss anything of value.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Jul 31, 2020 1:15 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I think it's a series that you have to be willing to ignore the pro-nationalist, pro-authoritarian, anti-Chinese overtones to enjoy, and even then you have to like stuff like edgy, OP protags, incestuous over and undertones, and magic high school settings.

Oddly enough, that cross fits right with me. I like the worldbuilding - which is easily the most interesting, creative, and consistent within the magic high school settings I've read/watched so far - and I like a lot of the characters. I find the aesthetic fun. I actually thought Tatsuya was so ungodly OP and the way he curbstomped everyone was so direct that it was kind of fun in its own way. Pretty much every character had a somewhat unique power/ability (or at least a unique way of using them) that really kind of just added to their personality and really made them feel distinct from one another. That was great. Miyuki is one of my favorite characters, period. She's just awesome. And hot. Really hot. But also awesome.

I think it would've been a 10/10 if it wasn't for the fact that it is pro-authoritarian. Which it has an entire arc dedicated to being pro-authoritarian, where Tatsuya literally starts whispering all of these pro-authoritarian sweet nothing into Miyuki's ear, and it's portrayed as a realistic and truly understanding assessment of why the protesters - which are actually second class citizens, in a fucking section established as being second class prior in the narrative - are angry. And that's not actually because they're marginalized. They're just opportunistic vultures selfishly ignoring the student council government. The student council has a better grasp on the situation than the protesters have, and have only set it up to where the Weeds are marginalized because it's best for the whole, and the protesters need to get over that and accept it for how it is. Just fucking lovely, really.

Of course, that's all followed by an arc that is very jingoist and pretty racist against Chinese folk, like, shockingly so. And all of these things are more or less overt themes of the narrative itself that it hopes to communicate to the audience. I can put that aside because of how much I like about Mahouka, but not to where I'm unwilling to acknowledge that it exists, either, so I docked a point or so from it. It's not a huge penalty because I was able to ignore it somewhat and I loved everything else about it, but...yeeesh. It was really over the head.

Which is sad. I love magic high schools, and this is what I honestly feel to be the best magic high school setting I've found so far. It drove me to paying for the LNs to find out more about it, and I wasn't disappointed in it. I love incest, it's fucking spicy. I'm down with edgy, OP MCs. I'm down with pretty much everything about Mahouka. It should be a 10/10. Then it slams me with all of this Imperial Japanese tier thematics and well, ree.
ManabanJul 31, 2020 1:41 AM

Jul 31, 2020 1:28 AM

Apr 2013
It's an alright show, the protagonist is hella boring and annoyed me a bit. One of the worst overpowered protagonists which is a trope I usually enjoy a lot. 6/10
Jul 31, 2020 1:34 AM

Nov 2016
PraiseTheSun123 said:
It's fucking terrible, on par with Code Geass and Konosuba (that bad), probably one of the worst anime I've ever seen. You better drop it, you won't miss anything of value.

I haven't watched it but if it's as bad as Code Geass I better skip it then xD
Jul 31, 2020 1:41 AM

May 2013
Super boring show as an anime. Overpowered MC, instant harem of girls fawning around him for the slightest feats of showing how overpowered he is. No challenge or tension in the show. It gets boring with Tatsuya simply eliminating foes left and right. The MC's character is a pseudo rip-off of the Hindu god Shiva/Maha Shiva/Maheshvara.

If you have a particular itch of seeing ants getting crushed, try it out.

It has some positives too : a very interesting take on how magic works in that universe. There is some degree of shady family politics in the background but nothing ever comes out of it.

Maybe it's a series best enjoyed as an LN.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jul 31, 2020 2:03 AM

Nov 2019
Pixel_Vapour said:
PraiseTheSun123 said:

I haven't watched it but if it's as bad as Code Geass I better skip it then xD

Yeah you better do that. To give you a quick summary: Remember those Code Geass filler episodes? Well that's basically the plot of the series over the 26 episodes. Add to that some incest undertones, swap the mechas with magic and an even more OP protagonist and you have Mahouka.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Jul 31, 2020 2:05 AM

Sep 2018
Its similar to SAO for me. Maybe slightly better, but not that much. Both shows are shows i will still probably watch because both are just pretty entertaining despite the bad writing.
Jul 31, 2020 4:11 AM

Jun 2020
"Irregular really irregular and it's getting season 2" - God

Anyways, it's really bad. Imagine having a really cool character who can do cool shit but not showing any of that shit and instead showing us characters we don't care about. I couldn't care less about the side characters who have a whole other thing going on for them. Also I hate every anime where the MC is OP but he needs to hide his powers, dude is basically country level OP but he still needs to keep his powers a secret, and not even that, he refuses to do anything that'll make him stand out, and I hate this anime already. And I hate how the dude gives all the credits to the side characters, like dude will destroy the whole planet alone but he'll still be "Oh I did nothing, it was all because we worked together, without them I could've never done this. All the credits go to them". Normally I like every anime that has an OP MC, but this anime was really bad, almost as bad as One-Punch Man season 2, I'd say on par with it because both of them have an OP MC who's cool but both of them don't give the MC enough screen time.
Arin-sanJul 31, 2020 4:15 AM

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 3, 2020 4:21 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been moved from the Anime Discussion Board

"Anime/Manga specific threads should go into their respective sub-boards."
Nov 23, 2020 2:52 AM
Oct 2020
For me mahouka is good because:
- Tatsuya is OP
- incest is wincest

But the anime skip so much material from LN.
Jan 24, 2021 4:08 AM
Jan 2021
The fact that Tatsuya is prodigy is what I hate the most
other students work hard in order to become acknowledged
whereas tatsuya is just a born genius with high potential
I would this anime a big failure
Jan 29, 2021 7:22 AM
Dec 2020
It was kinda boring but i really do appreciate the efforts of the animators,but what made me hate it more is the Incest they've put between the siblings ,which i hated the most. . .So yeah i'm not planning to watch the season 2 QwQ👌 🖤🥀
ZennichieJan 29, 2021 7:32 AM
Feb 7, 2021 9:59 PM
Jun 2019
Raxy123 said:

Tatsuya is born genius...hahaha lol best joke i have read today.

Well if i say tatsuya past is much worse than levi... maybe you can get a hint.
Feb 23, 2021 10:14 PM
Jun 2019
Raxy123 said:
who says??? Tatsuya is prodigy huh?? Don't judge him without knowing his past ..so based.
May 12, 2021 11:11 AM
May 2021
The mc is too boring, normally the tournament is the best phase of an anime but this anime makes even that boring,bad start ,worse in between and wait the ending is worst,mc is op literally does everything but doesn't take credit,not a single joke,waste of time I beg you not to watch it.
May 21, 2021 11:47 AM
Aug 2020
It's so bad and it shoudn't even deserve a season 2, it had a decent premise but incest + most boring mc + lame ass characters + horrible story development reallly ruined the show, I don't even want to read the light novel and I usually read the source material of a show I don't like
May 26, 2021 9:48 AM
Jan 2021
I lost my interest when MC joined in student council and over powered MC....
Jun 1, 2021 2:23 AM

May 2021
piece of shit show what the fuck was this

Jun 8, 2021 3:07 PM
Nov 2020
this show didnt make a bit of sense to me.ok,I know that sci fi huge ass explanation shows aint my thing;but I couldn't even comprehend it.I literally felt like like a gorilla staring at a magical girl show wondering whys the other gorilla inside the screen so small and hairless.fk it,watched 22 eps and destroyed 2 of my 3 remaining brain cells.
thou shalt call me onii chan
Jun 14, 2021 1:06 PM

Oct 2020
I like the worldbuilding. It was all ruined by having an emotionless and overpowered MC with a sister complex , I can like some harem , but the elements are just useless in this work , not even for comedic relief and just serve to make him look cooler because he's clearly a Gary Stu
Jun 18, 2021 3:17 PM
Jul 2020
is it worth watching ?
Jun 21, 2021 1:05 PM
Jul 2014
I was bored. I tried to give it another chance (because I like some series where the MC is op) but still got bored. I guess this will be a series I will never finish.
Jun 21, 2021 7:58 PM
Oct 2020
Raxy123 said:

But he wasn't born a prodigy exactly though and he goes through a lot of shit because of his power or lack there of conventionally.
Jul 8, 2021 7:17 AM

Apr 2016
It's little bit fell off, especially during the episodes where competition among the schools, the games aren't that interesting to me, even it makes me wondering what the heck am i just watching, except for that monolith battle. And also there are way too many dank scientific explanations that aren't necessary for the character/plot itself. Does not cover shiba's background story really well when there's something about it (didn't read ln). Overall, it's still good to watch 7/10.
Mar 6, 2022 11:54 PM

Jul 2015
It's a trash of the highest caliber with both MC's as interesting as Kirito.
If you have trouble falling asleep, it might be good, because it is that boring.
And it is without me even mentioning incestuous relationship.

Mar 26, 2022 2:04 AM

Sep 2018
I'm twenty episodes in and have binged this show during the last couple of days.

It's not too bad, definitely as shit as people make it out to be, kind of like SAO in that regard.

- The long, pseudo mambo jumbo exposition for the magic systems may or may nor make sense, some of it definitely goes over my head, but it's not that big of a problem to deter my enjoyment of the show.

- The MC who is literally the same guy from Classroom of the Elite, I don't have that much of a problem with him. It's purely a matter of taste here. Some people can't enjoy a show with a Mr perfect who gets all the chicks wet, not much stake involved in his fights, etc. I usually do not mind this trope, though the other aspects of the anime have to be somewhat interesting.

- The incest undertone in this series is unnecessary, but pretty trivial overall when it comes to my enjoyment.

It's either a 7/10 or 8/10 right now, I don't really take it seriously, even if it may do so itself.
Aug 25, 2022 7:20 AM
Dec 2019
Piromysl said:

And it is without me even mentioning incestuous relationship.

wdym, that's the best part
Jan 15, 2023 9:47 AM
Apr 2020
Absolute crap
Slow and every time u start a new arc it has the same pattern as the previous one
Jan 16, 2023 9:35 PM

Jul 2013
Every discussion I've seen about this series (across a handful of different forums and review aggregators) is negative. Why does it have such a high rating?
Jan 20, 2023 4:25 AM

Jul 2015
toxicsmurf said:
Every discussion I've seen about this series (across a handful of different forums and review aggregators) is negative. Why does it have such a high rating?

Because it works as a gateway anime and nothing else. Newcomers might watch it and enjoy it. But if you watch it as a seasoned anime fan, you'll notice glaring flaws this show has like two main leads being flat and story being boring.
SAO has exact same problem and not that different score, yet we all know how 5/10 that series is.
PiromyslJan 20, 2023 4:28 AM

Feb 2, 2023 8:02 AM
Mar 2020
One of my personal favorites. The thing it does better than most other anime is it’s worldbuilding. While Tatsuya is a physically strong guy, he doesn’t carry the weight of the show all on his own. He’s just one guy in a world full of politics and espionage, and is handicapped by his family and society.

Also unlike other anime, Tatsuya’s friends and other magicians are no slouches. Every character gets a chance to shine and show their skills, becoming a team of people who work towards a desired outcome rather than Tatsuya soloing everything he comes across.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.