Forum Settings
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 28, 2020 5:25 PM

Jul 2017
Well, and this is the end... The journey is finally over, and i want to cry because i was enjoying this so much xd but like the saying goes: all good things must come to an end..

We got more backstories from more characters before they turned into spirits, mainly Mukuro and Natsumi (the past of these two made me shed a tear or two ngl), Miku, Kaguya/Yuzuru.. It was amazing to get to know more details about these characters that have been taking part of this story for so long. Fantastic.

The "date" vs Beast continues as well, and Shido, with the help of everyone else and their recovered angel powers, manages to reach out to her in a parallel world.

Now, what caught me by surprise was during the last chapter entitled Yatogami Tohka. I wasn't expecting Beast to be from a parallel world where the events, while having simmilarities to the world Shido lives in, were slightly different. Shido ended up dying in Beast's world, while Tohka ended up disappearing in Shido's world (the world we all know). And because he died, Beast (Tohka), went on a rampage and destroyed her own world. And the reason she appeared on the world we all know, is that she managed to catch his scent? (i think that was it). Anyways, i wasn't expecting Beast to be another Tohka, but the real one xd Also, i thought their dialogue was really nice, and why she refused Shido's proposal to go to his world.. Great answer from her. Parallel world Tohka then meets Kurumi (from that world as well), who asks her if she wanted to change the world.. (just like how Shido did with Kurumi's help in the real world during that time vs Mio).

And then we reach the end, the gang goes to 1st year of university or high school (like Muku, Natsumi, Yoshino), everyone is happy, everyone living with Shidou, it was great to see and that makes me happy as well. And that final scene... i just knew it, the big surprise :D Tohkaaaaaaa! In that cherry blossom scenery where Shidou was reminiscing about the old times with her and when she met her... I must say, I got sentimental, and went through a trip down memory lane thinking about the very 1st volume of this story, and so on.. And seeing that final pannel of Tohka's full figure and smiling, man, i couldn't help but shed some tears of joy. Wonderful ending indeed imo. I will miss this novel so much... And i'm really looking forward to the 4th anime season!

Wanted to point out something else as well. The afterword from Tachibana, was really powerful. The gratitude towards his team that helped him through this wonderful work, his point of view about each character of the story, and thanking ALL OF THEM (even the villains ahah), it was really a privillege to read! And most important of all, he did enjoy writing this story a lot, and that's what makes me happy as well, he seems fullfilled, and me, as a reader, i am fulfilled as well and i can clearly say that what he created here, was a tremendous success. Taking off my hat to Tachibana.

10/10 material without any doubts.
WaterLordJul 28, 2020 5:32 PM
Jul 28, 2020 6:54 PM

Feb 2018
Hold on sec, When April 10 Shidou met with Tohka? From what i know the star we see is actually Tohka from a different timeline, where the events that occur are very different from Shidou's worl

While called the Y timeline. At Y, Tohka has never been to Arubi Island, his picnic is to Okinawa, and Tohka competes with Yamai's sister to eat here. The clothes the girls wore when selling books competing with Nia were no longer rabbit girls, but nurse clothes ... And the biggest difference, was that Shidou in Y was dead, so Tohka had just turned into a "Beast" and killed all the spirits in the Y timeline.

We will call the X chronology at this time, and Tohka at X has completely disappeared. Shidou lost Tohka in X, and Tohka lost clarifying things. Shidou now lived for 2 months in Y with Tohka's white hair. Kurumi then appears to meet Tohka. Tohka now said that this was impossible, because Kurumi was supposed to be killed by Tohka. After a while of speaking, the last question Kurumi Tohka asked was: "Hey, Tohka-san. Don't you want to repeat this world?" Shidou at Y, finally met again. And after the fight scene in X, Shidou chases Tohka through Y, kisses Tohka.

Return to Shidou's world: The will of the world has decided to restore the existence of someone who has been destroyed into several pieces back to their original form. But usually, it can take up to several hundred, or maybe several thousand, some ten thousand years. Therefore the will of the world invokes a similar existence originating from a parallel world. As a foundation to shorten the time needed. As the conversation got here, Kotori thought that the will of the world was a certain person.

Then on April 10th, Shidou was on his way to school, and then suddenly met a certain girl.

Maybe the conversation is like this, I forgot a little.

Shidou: You, are ...

Girl: .. Name, huh. My name is Yatogami Tohka.

A valuable name, that I get from a valuable person, isn't that good?

the last scene happens in X the will of the world itself, implied is Reine, bringing Beast / Tohka-Y to X for use it as a template for reinventing Tohka-X The final scene is Shido-X meeting Tohka X is re-created, with both of them thinking / saying that they are the most important people 'to each other.
Aug 5, 2020 3:24 AM
Jul 2019
And that concludes the Date A Live series. Honestly, what a wonderful journey that was. I enjoyed every bit of it. Now this actually is one of the most important writing I've ever read because this made me realize how fun reading light novels and reading in general are. I was never bored when reading this. I remember just sitting in my classroom, reading then realizing that I just finished two volumes unconsciously. So this novel holds a special place in my heart. You gave me so much happiness, thank you.

The reason why I like this series so much is because of the characters. The protagonist, Shidou and the heroines are just so likeable that you want to see them everytime thus making this more enjoyable to read. Every girl is so great that I was hoping that the ending is a harem ending. Well we didn't get that but what we got instead is what everyone desires, for Tohka to come back.

Now it's kinda open-ended. It left some questions unanswered. Like the parallel worlds and Kurumi appearing before Tohka. Also Tohka appearing at the end and literally end there. We will never know who Shidou will pick, which made me happy and irritated at the same time. I'm happy that Shidou didn't pick someone, it makes me feel like his relationship with everyone will remain the same and everyone is smiling, which makes me smile as well. But also irritated that I will never know who is the girl...or girls he will pick.

I really love the Afterword. I thought Koushi will thank just the main heroines and Shidou, but I never expected him to thank every character he created. I really love that, I felt all the emotions he gave in writing this series in those paragraphs.

Like I said before, Date A Live holds a very special place in my heart and I will remember it forever as my first ever novel that I got into while also being one of the best harem series out there with very likeable characters.

10/10.
SomeGuyWithHairSep 23, 2020 8:58 AM
Aug 14, 2020 5:23 PM
Jan 2016
Welp, DAL has finally come to an end. This was my first light novel to read and that was because of the anime. I'm gonna miss DAL a lot. I sorta took a break from the series at volume 14 because I was busy and getting ready for a new school. I mainly kept up with DAL with summaries but then got back to it in volume 20. While I'm not really into open endings, DAL's ending gave a nice send off with Tohka smiling. DAL will always have a special place in my heart and I nothing can replace this series.
Sep 18, 2020 7:24 AM
Apr 2020
This wasn't too bad of a show, get to see some good cast and bad cast to find more anime. And this have a decent ending too.
Aug 29, 2021 1:37 AM

Jun 2021
So.. Shido doesnt end up with someone?

My favourite will be Tohka always 💜 atleast we saw that Tohka smile at the end
Sep 13, 2021 11:36 AM
Jan 2021
erjata said:

I'm happy he didn't end up with anyone, because the author left us the "choice" of imaginating it. Even if not shown, i believe a polygamy ending, and that makes me really happy. This holds a special place in my heart.
Dec 2, 2021 4:24 AM
Oct 2021
goldfishluke said:
erjata said:

I'm happy he didn't end up with anyone, because the author left us the "choice" of imaginating it. Even if not shown, i believe a polygamy ending, and that makes me really happy. This holds a special place in my heart.

yah, a polygamy ending, i love it too.
Dec 20, 2021 11:45 AM

Jun 2021
goldfishluke said:
erjata said:

takadabaka said:
goldfishluke said:

yah, a polygamy ending, i love it too.

For me, this was a nice ending for Tohka and Shido

Shido in Volume 20 he professes his love for Tohka before she dies , but after she is resurrected in Volume 22, the Volume ends with both meeting under cherry blossom, highly implying that he ends up with Tohka right?
Dec 20, 2021 4:24 PM

Jun 2021
1563309514410937 said:
Anime_Addicter_ said:

For me, this was a nice ending for Tohka and Shido

Shido in Volume 20 he professes his love for Tohka before she dies , but after she is resurrected in Volume 22, the Volume ends with both meeting under cherry blossom, highly implying that he ends up with Tohka right?

We get a glimpse past the end of volume 22 in the volume 10 of the Encore series and there isn't any commitment shown theb.

However, I would argue that it is implied that Shidou holds Tohka in a special place in his heart - beyond mere friendship. Of course, this doesn't hold only for the ending novels but for the 22 novels rather. I feel like people claiming it is a harem ending are turning a blind eye to this bond between the two.

So yeah, no commitment but if it were to happen eventually, I know which ship I will be sailing. Here hoping the new Encore novels develop past the ending of the main serie.

I want to read more about Tohka and Shido <3 They are one of my favourites couples ever :')

Tohka is my "dream girlfriend" haha
Dec 27, 2021 7:31 AM
Oct 2021
Anime_Addicter_ said:
1563309514410937 said:

We get a glimpse past the end of volume 22 in the volume 10 of the Encore series and there isn't any commitment shown theb.

However, I would argue that it is implied that Shidou holds Tohka in a special place in his heart - beyond mere friendship. Of course, this doesn't hold only for the ending novels but for the 22 novels rather. I feel like people claiming it is a harem ending are turning a blind eye to this bond between the two.

So yeah, no commitment but if it were to happen eventually, I know which ship I will be sailing. Here hoping the new Encore novels develop past the ending of the main serie.

I want to read more about Tohka and Shido <3 They are one of my favourites couples ever :')

Tohka is my "dream girlfriend" haha

Yah, maybe that why author used a open ending, for me, who love all girl Reine, Tohka, Yoshino, Origami... want they get happy together, it is the best ending which Shido wants. But for someone, like you, prefer Tohka and Shido, will ship only them.
And I love Tohka too much (awww) but its not why i neglect other girls, I think I have the same thoughts as Shido.
Finally Tohka and Reine is my waifus and i love all girl <333 teehee
takadabakaDec 27, 2021 7:38 AM
Apr 11, 2022 8:32 PM
Jan 2021
WaterLord said:

everyone is happy, everyone living with Shidous.

Including mio and every girl??
Also did tohka gain her memories back?
Please sir I need to know this
Jun 2, 2022 11:42 AM
Mar 2019
Man after i read the novel, im feeling very satisfied. But they will release the true end, Encore 12 this month. So look forward
Aug 17, 2022 7:20 PM
Jul 2021
Did reine came back?
If you remember correctly, the last sentence from chapter 0 of 22 volume.
Oct 19, 2023 1:54 PM
Nov 2019
Reply to Mrinb
Did reine came back?
If you remember correctly, the last sentence from chapter 0 of 22 volume.
@Mrinb
She was taken by kurumi
Plus reine was a clone of original spirit mío takayami
Oct 19, 2023 1:57 PM
Nov 2019
Honestly after season 3 I finished the novel and the last chapter
Before the beast time line

I was sad when Tohka disappeared

But it ended well!!

I don’t get why date alive gets bad reputation for being a generic harem or generic anime…

It’s not…

I’ve even read people say world god only knows is better…
It’s not a bad anime

But storyline and plot twist wise

Date Alive wins hands down

Plus the anime for god only knows stopped after season 3

More topics from this board

» Will there be anymore Date A Live?

AceMin - May 12

4 by Laplace_kun »»
Yesterday, 12:44 AM

» Why do people like Tokisaki Kurumi?

ZeroMajor12 - May 9

3 by Laplace_kun »»
May 10, 10:45 PM

» Why does this have a higher score than the anime (no spoilers)

BigBowlNoodleBoi - Sep 19, 2021

12 by icefirestone23 »»
Aug 19, 2023 7:58 AM

» Date a live LN

ShadowOnyx01 - Jun 20, 2022

8 by mizunos404 »»
May 14, 2023 8:15 AM

» Last Day Alive

Syureria - Mar 20, 2019

4 by Roch2001 »»
Jun 24, 2022 7:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.