Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2020 12:28 AM
Jun 2020
So I've just finish Lost Butterfly. My enjoyment of Heaven's Feel until now is quite low. I'm not very familiar with Fate just so you know, i've watch only Fate/Zero, play some amount of the original VN, and a few episodes of Deen FSN (i dropped it cuz, totally horrible shit). Back then i thought i should watch UBW before HF but since i kinda like film format than episodic one (also the highly recommended review from people) i decide to watch this first. And after i watched it, somehow it's... kinda meh. The first one, Presage Flower is lowkey just show you the story by saying, hey this happen and then that happen (I get that the story is told from Emiya's perspective and this dude is totally not the one who knows wtf is actually going on with the war but then they should've show less those side story that have nothing to do with him at all, it just increase the confusing aspect) and hence, poorly building up the tension, without letting you know why thing happen at all (perhaps that's why i should've watched UBW beforehand?). SO, as a consequence, i got very little emotional attachment to the characters. There's literally little to none at all mystery or stressful feeling that a "dArK" theme movie (as people say it is) should have, most of the foreshadowing in this movie just don't really work. I predicted like 9/10 times any event or important plot point happened thanks to the very obvious hint they gave. Now about Lost Butterfly, in the first 2/3 part of the film it got the same problem but less serious than PF, still i don't feel much interested in the story, but the remain 1/3 part is actually very interesting. Putting Shirou in the place where he has to decide to kill Sakura or not is a very interesting part to see, with how his core personality always was towarding justice and how close he is to Sakura. The building to his decision to me is, very impressive and attractive, it engages me into the film more than anything before. Will he follow Kiritsugu path, save the majority or follow his feeling, save the one he loves. I admit the character development in the trilogy 'til now is somewhat interesting to see. But since the story itself is already predictable, the character development suffers the same issue. Like when Shinji or Sakura goes nut, I don't really feel much. Basically what i'm trying to say is i can feel this can be a great story, they have a pretty interesting cast of character with a decent depth of personality. It's just not very attractive in presentation, it got a lot of unnecessary exposition that i would like to figure it out instead of straight forward acknowledging it, so that even if the story is predictable, it still can be engaging. That's why i don't feel very invested in things at all. I got a feel like this film is made for people who already know what happened and they change a little bit at some point to see the altered result cuz, a large amount of obvious hint. If that's the case why did they still try to remain these already-not-a-secret secrets, like the naive-and-insane scenario of Sakura, i meant who doesn't know her back story when speaking of the Fate franchise. I should've like this film very much, but i can't. Or in a overly negative view, this film is a total confusion mess thanks to some hidden materials but you still manage to know partly what the hell is going on because of the predictable story (i don't know how but they achieved this state, congratz Ufotable)
The animation is still stunning (as expected from this studio), the color palette is beautiful, although glitzy at times. The fight scene is very well done, i just can't say a word when Berserker and corrupted(?) Saber goes head to head, anytime something explode it looks like what Michael Bay would jerk off to. Slow-mo is a little bit overused but I'm okay with it. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing. I love all the ending song, Aimer has never let me down, her work is just always amazing. Afterall, all the issues i got with HF is from the presentation of the story, of how Ufo approach the storytelling. It just... uninteresting .-.
Is it my fault though, cause i haven't watch UBW or spend like 1000 hours hardcore reading the visual l novel. I planned to watch Spring Song later this year that's why i try these 2 but now but after experienced it i'm kinda unsure about my decision cuz, i don't even know if i'm liking this trilogy or not so far, my brain now is just as confusing as the series itself.
Huyen_Thanh_27Jun 27, 2020 12:54 AM
Jun 27, 2020 1:13 AM
Jun 2020
Like, i get it this trilogy is a much more slow pacing, go deeply into the characters, featuring gore and violence instead of supernatural force fighting for glory/ a wish for anything but man, the slow build to a thing everyone know about the fact that Sakura will go insane, murdering people brutally, it seems not so interesting. Like the side detail of dark shit like the part where Sakura eat people is a pretty great presentation, it does show how bad shit insane she is at that moment despite remains pretty naive. Sadly, the other part didn't get that much great effort. Some detail are just.. there? Like Rider's love with Sakura, literally came out of nowhere and only talk about it once and then pff, never heard about it again. Or the guy who called Assassin???? Literally killed by another Assassin??? (i thought there's only one hero per class???) and then guess what, his death does nothing to the plot? then what's the point of showing it? Like the Caster one i can understand but what about this dude??? There are so much details that just do nothing to push the plot forward, it really just there to confuse people or so??? Also, some dialogue are not very organic, it sounds really cringe and awkward, it feels more like a somebody fantasy than something an actual human being would say (well, at least sounds far more better than Deen FSN that's a relief). To be honest, there's a lot of psychological focused anime/manga that did this aspect far more interesting than Fate attempt to do it.
Jun 27, 2020 1:50 AM

Nov 2019
Huyen_Thanh_27 said:
Like, i get it this trilogy is a much more slow pacing, go deeply into the characters, featuring gore and violence instead of supernatural force fighting for glory/ a wish for anything but man, the slow build to a thing everyone know about the fact that Sakura will go insane, murdering people brutally, it seems not so interesting. Like the side detail of dark shit like the part where Sakura eat people is a pretty great presentation, it does show how bad shit insane she is at that moment despite remains pretty naive. Sadly, the other part didn't get that much great effort. Some detail are just.. there? Like Rider's love with Sakura, literally came out of nowhere and only talk about it once and then pff, never heard about it again. Or the guy who called Assassin???? Literally killed by another Assassin??? (i thought there's only one hero per class???) and then guess what, his death does nothing to the plot? then what's the point of showing it? Like the Caster one i can understand but what about this dude??? There are so much details that just do nothing to push the plot forward, it really just there to confuse people or so??? Also, some dialogue are not very organic, it sounds really cringe and awkward, it feels more like a somebody fantasy than something an actual human being would say (well, at least sounds far more better than Deen FSN that's a relief). To be honest, there's a lot of psychological focused anime/manga that did this aspect far more interesting than Fate attempt to do it.
Huyen_Thanh_27 said:

It's not necessary but watching one of the fate/stay night routes can enhance your experience and explains the assassin problem you have and helps you understand the plotholes. It's not actually a hard set rule that it can only be 7 servants. Caster, borrowing the power of the Greater Grail, was able to obtain fake Command Spells and summon a fake Servant.
All the points you bring up are completely valid criticism. I myself agree there are problems with the story as you stated. Saber vs berserk fight was pretty boring as it had no weight behind it and was there as eye candy.

Ufotable crammed everything into 3 movies while not ideal I think they did a decent job of it. The last 2 movies were kinda like a buildup to the last installment of the movie. While reading the visual novel. I never really like heaven feel route and personally heavily preferred fate/zero. The last third of the visual novel was amazing probably even better than fate/zero. The ending is by far the best in the fate route in my opinion. Also it explains the ending of fate/zero and who angra mainyu is Hopefully, ufotable adapts the last installment well.
Southerntop7Jun 27, 2020 2:02 AM
Jun 27, 2020 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
Imagine reading the Epilogue of a book after skipping everything else and wondering why it doesnt make any sense and is underwhelming.

Heh.
Jun 27, 2020 6:03 AM
Jun 2020
ssjokg said:
Imagine reading the Epilogue of a book after skipping everything else and wondering why it doesnt make any sense and is underwhelming.

Heh.
I know, that's why i've said is it my fault cuz tbh, i've not even interested in Fate until recently
If the Epiloque is confusing and messy but the rest of the book is like god tier literature, it doesn't make the Epiloque instantly better just because hey, the other part is much better
Now i know that i chose the confusing part to watch first, it is 100% my decision, my fault i admit it so i'm really appreciated when u gave me the order list there, it might come in handy. Thank you.
Is it your own list cuz i see the same username?
Jun 27, 2020 6:24 AM
Jun 2020
Southerntop7 said:
It's not necessary but watching one of the fate/stay night routes can enhance your experience and explains the assassin problem you have and helps you understand the plotholes. It's not actually a hard set rule that it can only be 7 servants. Caster, borrowing the power of the Greater Grail, was able to obtain fake Command Spells and summon a fake Servant.
So that's how it is, i see. Welp, another thing to learn. Actually i'm researching for pc version of the game but seems like they're not on Steam, yikes.

Southerntop7 said:
All the points you bring up are completely valid criticism. I myself agree there are problems with the story as you stated. Saber vs berserk fight was pretty boring as it had no weight behind it and was there as eye candy.
Thank you, i actually has to make a new account just to speak about this else my hardcore Fate fanboi friends are gonna kill me cuz they gave me the BD disc and i was just confused af ( i was too scared to ask them :( ) Still, holy moly those eye candy are sweet af,throughout the whole series the actual action scene are quite simple but Ufo still manage to make them looks absolutely stunning

Southerntop7 said:
The last third of the visual novel was amazing probably even better than fate/zero. The ending is by far the best in the fate route in my opinion. Also it explains the ending of fate/zero and who angra mainyu is Hopefully, ufotable adapts the last installment well.
You actually just make me rethink about seeing it. Spring Song got delayed to August(?) so i still got plenty of time to dig in this franchise xD (Also a big yikes that it's true i don't understand that mainyu part of FZ but if the answer is in SS, shiet i'm interested)
Jul 13, 2020 7:03 AM
Oct 2018
Should have watched UBW first. Vastly increases the enjoyment and understanding. This is the best fate franchise has to offer. Final movie will be a masterpiece. Might even surpass zero.
Jul 30, 2020 10:40 AM

Apr 2018
>Started with F/Zero
>Skipped Saber's route (whether from VN or anime)
>Skipped UBW (both VN and anime)
>"Lol, why does this final chapter make no sense, guise?"

Yeeeeah sorry, but your opinion on Heaven's Feel holds absolutely no weight here.
Aug 10, 2021 1:39 PM

Apr 2020
Stygian_Prisoner said:
>Started with F/Zero
>Skipped Saber's route (whether from VN or anime)
>Skipped UBW (both VN and anime)
>"Lol, why does this final chapter make no sense, guise?"

Yeeeeah sorry, but your opinion on Heaven's Feel holds absolutely no weight here.

fr this guy is just plain stupid
Oct 4, 2021 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
I've read the VN back in 2015, I used to be a huge Fate fan. I have gradually began to hate Heaven's Feel, I hate that Shirou ditches his ideals for wormslut Sakura. Also just hate the entire Fate franchise at this point, just cute girl gacha bait with pretentious plots.
Aug 21, 2022 1:56 PM

Dec 2020
Yeah it's just animation with many complicated things ! Better than the other two routes btw
STSayebDec 9, 2022 11:57 AM

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Dec 9, 2022 8:11 AM
Jul 2022
STSayeb said:
Yeah it's just animation with many complicated things ! Better the other two routes btw

Agreed.
Yo! Glad to meet a Bangladeshi here. I'm from BD, too đź‘€
Dec 9, 2022 8:21 AM

Oct 2021
IMO Heaven's Feel is the best route of the 3, but the anime adaptation is the worst (Unlimited Blade Works is the best).
Dec 10, 2022 11:12 AM

Dec 2020
Badonkers said:
IMO Heaven's Feel is the best route of the 3, but the anime adaptation is the worst (Unlimited Blade Works is the best).
UBW plot was all over the place with a dumb prota

Jan 24, 2023 4:47 PM

Jan 2021
STSayeb said:
Badonkers said:
Both UBW and HF are bad adaptations which is why you may think that way
Read the visual novel nerd
Jan 27, 2023 3:11 AM

Dec 2020
salad_farded said:
STSayeb said:
doesn't change the fact that Emiya is shi*

Jan 27, 2023 4:02 AM

Jan 2021
STSayeb said:
salad_farded said:
doesn't change the fact that Emiya is shi*

it does change that fact
his character was ruined in the anime
Read the visual novel nerd
Apr 25, 2023 12:26 AM
Feb 2020
The VN got a enforced play order for a reason which is Fate-UBW-HF.It doesn't allow you to jump into directly into HF just because 3 timelines are Alternative of each other.Starting from Fate Zero is like IMO starting with Phantom Menace and then wondering what so special about Empire strikes back?It's all twist are given beforehand.Imo you are starting with a prequel and complaining about it
Sep 7, 2023 11:28 PM
Jul 2021
Yes absolutely agreed. Fate Zero is by far the only good thing this franchise has to offer.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - II. Lost Butterfly Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Jan 15, 2019

487 by ToG25thBaam »»
Apr 15, 6:35 PM

» Anyone find Sakura Matou annoying or It just me? [Spoilers] ( 1 2 3 4 )

PrideRoyalIvy - May 21, 2019

187 by Adatius »»
Mar 15, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Why do so less people like Sakura in comparison to Saber and Tohsaka? Which do you like?

Shizokami2 - Apr 8, 2020

49 by _PEAK »»
Mar 15, 3:32 AM

» If I hear "senpai" one more time....

ColCasey - Sep 20, 2023

18 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:57 PM

» Help

Ginsoka - Aug 4, 2021

1 by TheDeadmanII »»
Aug 4, 2021 10:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.