Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 18, 2020 6:54 PM
May 2018
It seems like this club has a pretty rigorous definition of KDEG, which is good. It also says on the front page that anyone can suggest new characters, which I presume will then be evaluated based on the objective criteria. But there's no indication of where exactly one may make such a suggestion. Since there's no evidence of activity in the forums in the past 1.5 years, I'm just going to make a new thread to suggest several characters, mostly from seasonal anime since 2018. The first three are from fairly popular shows, but some of these are relatively obscure, and may not have been seen by any of the admins who are allowed to nominate new characters.

Re=L Rayford (149808) from Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records:
I've seen her included in several lists of prototypical kuuderes, and I'm not sure how or why she's not in this club since the show aired in 2017.

Mia (146625) from Death March kara Hajimeru Isekai Kyousoukyoku:
Seems to fit the definition of dandere pretty neatly. She has like three words of dialogue despite being one of the main characters, and her facial expressions are also pretty much nonexistent.

Rachel Gardner (138442) from Satsuriku no Tenshi:
She's emotionless (type B), but she's also the main character, so there's some character development that maybe causes her to drift from the trope towards the end? It would be kind of silly in my opinion if that was a disqualification though.

Saginomiya Shiori (168494) from Joshikousei no Mudazukai:
Minakami Mai, but in high school. Her nickname is "robo" because of how emotionless she is. Textbook type D emotionless girl. Though, like Mai, she does give a shallow smile a couple of times when it's part of her act.

Igarashi Yukio (174609) from Rifle Is Beautiful:
Meets all five basic criteria for kuudere.

Gripen (163456) from Girly Air Force:
Emotionless type A/C, but with character development.

Saotome Yakume (176030) from Val x Love:
Has both tsundere and kuudere/dandere traits, but the latter is pretty clearly dominant. I'd call her a sadodandere.

Chiyoda Momo (170467) from Machikado Mazoku:
Starting to get a little bit less certain, but she definitely qualifies for 3 and arguably 4 of the 5 basic kuudere traits.

Sophie Twilight (147019) from Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san:
This one seems borderline kuudere because she's rarely alone, but that's just because Akari and Elly won't let her be.

Yuzuha (164334) from Conception:
Not so confident about this one, but I thought I would mention her. It's been a little while since I've seen this show, but I recall her being a borderline type B emotionless girl. She basically has one episode to herself so it wouldn't be difficult to assess.

I've been seeing a lot of people complaining that there aren't many kuuderes in recent seasons, but I think they're just being overlooked due to being in unpopular shows. If you watch 15+ shows each season, you'll find them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 18, 2020 9:35 PM

Jan 2009
Thanks for bringing these characters to our attention, let me address some of the cases:

the girl from Akashic Records: the character is inconsistent, definitely someone suggested this one at some point, had me watching about 1/3 of that anime just to see if she would complete her characterization, I personally can't agree on her belonging to any particular group, sparse traits end up in the EL list, decided against it.

Death March: didn't watch, but dandere is a bit of a uncharted territory right now.

Rachel was a huge "non-indexable" case a few years back, she didn't have an anime then, now I really didn't take the time to watch Satsuriku no Tenshi, but if the story plays out in the same way as the game did, she would get a yes from me right now, unless the VA just botched her performance badly.

Saginomiya Shiori (168494) This one looks interesting. (very recent too, might be why it went under the radar)

Igarashi Yukio (174609): Not sure, doesn't look like one at first glance.

Gripen (163456): Not sure.

Sophie Twilight (147019): Saw that one, suspected she might be -- didnt like what I saw.

Chiyoda Momo (170467) Now this one doesn't even remotely seem to be one of our girls.

Yuzuha: Definitely took the time to read the novel just for this one, she is gloomy and depressive, but not one of our girls by definition, I think it's one of those things that people immediately associate with kuudere, the hair and mannerisms, but just like tomboy doesn't equal cool, gloomy doesn't equal EG. Her voice is spot on most of the time, I'll give you that.

As you can see most of your nominations were already discussed or reviewed before, besides Rachel, I don't think there's a perfectly eligible candidate. But I can tell you that at the very least that purple haired girl is worth checking.
DrMondaiNashiMay 18, 2020 10:10 PM
May 20, 2020 7:58 PM
May 2018
Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply! I can't argue with Sophie or Yuzuha; I thought that they were pretty borderline, but worth mentioning. Momo... probably falls short as well, but not by as much as you might think if all you've seen are the memes that show generated. I won't be pushier about Yakume either because the show is just bad enough it would be unreasonable to ask anyone else to watch it to find out. But I definitely have to push back against Mia, Shiori, Yukio, and Gripen. I really don't think it's fair to these girls to dismiss them without giving them a proper evaluation.
May 20, 2020 10:45 PM

Jan 2009
It's good that people are taking some time to post some possible candidates (and also explaining why they would be a good fit), I'd recommend taking some of these to kuuderes_shadow and see what's her/his opinion on them, shadow is the only one admin who has been consistently active for as far as I recall, he/she might feel like checking some of them if you can convince her/him

Worth a shot, all I'm saying.
May 20, 2020 11:19 PM

Dec 2011
DrMondaiNashi said:

Chiyoda Momo (170467) Now this one doesn't even remotely seem to be one of our girls.

She's a LOT closer than her appearance would suggest. I was actually considering a thread for her for quite a few episodes, but I'm pretty sure she could only fall into the EL category - she only has 3 of the kuudere traits and only one of them (trait 2, so quite a weak one) isn't borderline, and describing her as outright emotionless would be way too much of a stretch, although there are hints of possible weak EG class B traits (we see almost none of her backstory in the anime, though).

Regarding the others...

I gave my thoughts on Re=L at the time, but the fact I can't find where I did suggests it was probably in the KDEG of the Year nominations thread for that year. Suffice to say that I don't think she counts.

I'm not familiar with any of the others on the list.

I do have the first volume of the Death March novels, though, which I've never gotten around to reading. I'll probably bump it up on my reading list, and if she shows up and looks to have potential then I'll check out how the anime portrays her. Joshikousei no Mudazakai also definitely looks worth watching, for its own sake as well as for the character.
kuuderes_shadowMay 21, 2020 12:05 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 21, 2020 10:21 AM
May 2018
Thanks for taking the time to reply, even if I can't convince you to check all of them out even just a couple is better than nothing.

kuuderes_shadow said:

I do have the first volume of the Death March novels, though, which I've never gotten around to reading. I'll probably bump it up on my reading list, and if she shows up and looks to have potential then I'll check out how the anime portrays her.

Mia doesn't show up until the second novel unfortunately, and she's unconscious for most of her appearance until the third novel when she's integrated into the main party. The anime kind of glosses over the first novel so she shows up earlier, but definitely check out the light novel because it's significantly better than the anime.
I get that dandere is kind of hard to define, but Mia is just so very dandere that there isn't really any question about whether or not she belongs here. After she joins the main party, she gets just as much screentime as any of the other main characters, but she just kind of sits there expressionlessly and silently the entire time. She doesn't react to anything unless she really has to, and when she does, it's usually a one- or two-word reply given with a straight face. She goes off once or twice under extreme pressure, but otherwise the only way you can tell she has any emotions is because she's constantly clinging to the MC.

It sounds like I don't need to say anything more about Joshikousei no Mudazukai, which is good because it really is a good show. If you were to write a continuation of Nichijou in a high school setting, that's exactly what you'd get.

I'm still going to keep backing Gripen and Yukio, since not only am I positive they belong here, but their shows aren't bad either. Gripen belongs to the emotionless robot category, kind of like Ikaros but less infantile and in a military/combat setting, and Girly Air Force was one of the only seasonal anime I really looked forward to coming out every week. I can't say that Rifle is Beautiful is the best thing I've ever watched, but I think it's better than average for slice of life in a real-world setting. You can get a decent feel for Yukio just from episode one. Her entire character is built around the kuudere trope, though a little bit more toned-down than you'd see in most shows that aren't in a real-world setting.

Yakume is just SOL because her show is so unwatchable, I think recommending it to anyone would constitute attempted murder via aneurysm. Plus she's a relatively minor character and most of her screentime comes in just a couple of episodes. I mentioned her because she was very recent and I do think she'd count, but I can't in good conscience ask anyone to watch it to find out.

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss these. It seems like this club has been quite inactive for a while, but I think it's important to keep the list updated so that people don't think KDEG have disappeared from new anime.
May 24, 2020 8:22 AM

Jul 2019
Ok so...

Arisa Kuroda (136699): As from the description she has already, she is good at sports. She is also very expressionless and doesn't show much emotion, (e.g. she was tickled and she still maintained a pokerface) though she has been seen embarrassed (from panties peek??)

Rio Futaba (163452): How she isn't here is kinda surprising. As from the description she has already, she is cool and calm, and very intelligent.

Sanae Tsukimoto (140925): She is cool and calm, rarely (maybe never) has shown any expression. She pinches Mina's cheeks whenever she does something that annoys her. She is also really good at running.

Yachiyo Nanami (166761): Not too sure with this one. But she is like Akemi Homura only she is nicer and thinks a lot about others. She is usually cool and calm and doesn't show much expression. She also likes to distance herself from others.

Yukino Yukinoshita (67067): Not here???

Shizu Delta (118349): I haven't seen Overlord in a while but she is cool and calm if memory serves well.

Vanilla (123343): Dunno how she isn't here already but, again, she has already, "Quiet, calm and very stoic. She rarely expresses her emotions"

Blake Belladonna (134541): Not too sure from later series onwards but, as from the description "cool and collected characters"

Ena Ibarada (165460): Not too sure with this one ngl.

Rein Kashiwagi (124358): Great marksmanship, as well as cool and calm, she also cares much about the people around her.

Rizu Ogata (148393): Smart as hell in maths, also is cool and calm most of the time. But I'm not too sure about her since she can get flustered easily sometimes, (maybe dandere side).
May 24, 2020 12:39 PM

Jan 2009
NextUniverse said:
Rio Futaba (163452): How she isn't here is kinda surprising. As from the description she has already, she is cool and calm, and very intelligent.

Previously rejected.

Not a high enough score on kuudere traits.

NextUniverse said:
Sanae Tsukimoto (140925): She is cool and calm, rarely (maybe never) has shown any expression. She pinches Mina's cheeks whenever she does something that annoys her. She is also really good at running.

suggested by tsubasalover as well, determined to have a role which is too minor, with sparse and sporadic appearances which give no insight about her character and/or personality, whatsoever .. sadly, we have a number of those examples.

NextUniverse said:
Yachiyo Nanami (166761): Not too sure with this one. But she is like Akemi Homura only she is nicer and thinks a lot about others. She is usually cool and calm and doesn't show much expression. She also likes to distance herself from others.

This one is obscure. Since she only appears on that sequel.

Does this character have at least one episode centered on her? this is important to know.

NextUniverse said:
Yukino Yukinoshita (67067): Not here???

There was an attempt.

I mean, I tried to get some of the staff to give her a chance .. I'm personally not sold on her .. but how many seasons of Oregairu are there? maybe there's something in her characterization that can lead us on the right direction. We don't take a character for granted just because her nickname is "Ice Queen"

and I guess most of the staff don't care much about that anime.

NextUniverse said:
Shizu Delta (118349): I haven't seen Overlord in a while but she is cool and calm if memory serves well.

I think we have a winner. Thanks for letting us know, as you can see, no one here watched Overlord.

I guess it will depend on how much is actually revealed about her .. but she's looking good at first glance.

NextUniverse said:
Vanilla (123343): Dunno how she isn't here already but, again, she has already, "Quiet, calm and very stoic. She rarely expresses her emotions"

Not sure how is that a way to describe her, does not qualify in the game, and didn't even bother to look at the anime.

I always remember how the guys from Euphonium define Reina as "stoic" .. baffles me, but I don't know. Some people have a weird concept for what stoic is (I don't use that word very much)

(just watched some cliips .. they gave her a nice voice, that's for sure, not enough to be an EG I'm afraid)

NextUniverse said:
Ena Ibarada (165460): Not too sure with this one ngl.

She is what they call a loli hag, or nojaloli, her voice is the stereotypical voice for such characters, very smart and normally a loner, but if she can't fulfill the voice criterion it's not good enough.

Can't be entered as EG for many reasons.

NextUniverse said:
Rein Kashiwagi (124358): Great marksmanship, as well as cool and calm, she also cares much about the people around her.

I remember seeing her once. I don't remember why I didn't look any further into her character.

NextUniverse said:
Rizu Ogata (148393): Smart as hell in maths, also is cool and calm most of the time. But I'm not too sure about her since she can get flustered easily sometimes, (maybe dandere side).

Not a match in voice, emotional lability, high compliance .. she's a normal girl.
Albeit a smart one.

Thanks for your input, it will be considered for future nominations.
DrMondaiNashiMay 24, 2020 12:49 PM
May 26, 2020 12:00 AM

Dec 2011
Regarding Yukinoshita... her inclusion or otherwise depends entirely on whether you can align her with trait 3 on the kuudere scale. She has traits 1 and 5 so clearly that even if she only has a very weak trait 3 I'd be willing to suggest her, but I've never been able to make my mind up about whether or not she does.

Delta doesn't come across that way at all to me in the novels... She's opinionated, jealous and spends most of the time hugging things she considers cute. I don't remember her ever being described in lanuage to suggest emotionlessness either, but that may just be me not really registering it. It'd take a fairly radically different interpretation of her character in the anime for me to even consider her, but it's not inconceivable.

@DrMondaiNashi - Yachiyo is very definitely a main character of the series. I'm already watching it (gradually) but probably won't make my mind up until the end.
kuuderes_shadowMay 26, 2020 12:04 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 26, 2020 4:45 PM

Jan 2009
kuuderes_shadow said:
Delta doesn't come across that way at all to me in the novels... She's opinionated, jealous and spends most of the time hugging things she considers cute. I don't remember her ever being described in lanuage to suggest emotionlessness either, but that may just be me not really registering it. It'd take a fairly radically different interpretation of her character in the anime for me to even consider her, but it's not inconceivable.

That's interesting, I remember something similar happening to Hitagi.

I'm going under the assumption we have a C type EG here, she doesn't appear on every episode, that is going to make it hard for me, because it will take longer to find every reference, but she makes at least one appearance on every season, there has to be something, I feel that if it is there, it will be obvious.

Now, I agree with you on Yukinoshita, no matter how you look at it, she's always missing something, it could be that some people believe that being cool is about being an insensitive jerk, not sure who started this trend, it's never been like that before, even if some girls were snarky, it was never a defining trait, just an occasional finding.

We have that blue-haired girl from Ryuu no Oshigoto, she has everyone claiming she's cool, and I don't know why, she's clearly some form of tsundere with way too much tsun and a glass of femdom thrown in, since when did this become a defining trait for kuudere? You want dominant EGs? look at Sheffield, dominant kuudere? look at Hitagi, they don't need to be temperamental or say you're worthless in order to prove themselves superior to you, that's just how it works for cool girls in general, they don't tend to show any form of "affectiveness", be it animosity or love, it always harms their performance, even when they're being honest, their "affectiveness" never clouds the way they express themselves.

This however, cannot be said about Yukinoshita or that other-girl-whose-name-I-dont-remember.

As for Yachiyo, good to know, and well since shadow is already on the case I don't need to look into it, if shadow considers that she is one of our girls I'll make sure to do some research later.
May 28, 2020 5:19 AM

Jul 2019
Was scrolling through anime-planet to make a list when I saw a kuudere tag and thought there could be some new additions here. What I got was:

Nanami Tokou (78515): Wouldn't know since I haven't seen. Just a suggestion.

RyuZU (99733): ^

Sargatanas (164513): ^

Ayano Fujimoto (172200): ^

Sakura (145463) : ^

Rea Himuro (136752): ^

Kae Hiiragi (172310): ^

Mirea Mizushima is actually on here despite not being in any animated media. Not sure if she is one of those 1 in 1000 cases or if the admins here missed her out somehow. But I just wanted to point that out.

There were other kuuderes listed that aren't even on MAL's database, but I don't think they are worth the addition since:

Kirana Chandra (no anime adaption)
Yuri So (no anime adaption)
Syoco (very minor role?)
May 28, 2020 5:26 AM

Jul 2019
DrMondaiNashi said:
Some people have a weird concept for what stoic is (I don't use that word very much)
Not sure if you even care, but there was a stoic tag for anime-planet listing too, if there could be something to add from there:
https://www.anime-planet.com/characters/all?gender_id=2&include_tags=464
May 28, 2020 1:19 PM

Jan 2009
oh THAT ONE Nanami, yes, of course I remember, everyone was going crazy for Astarte and at some point this girl who only appears on like 2 episodes and then dies comes up, I was this close, I mean SO very close to adding her (back then admins could just add characters on the spot) and I swear I had to rewatch these two episodes at least 2 times, and I still couldn't decide.

we didn't have EG categories at that point, I was just unable to decide whether she would be filed under EG or kuudere, the fact that she barely said anything on those two episodes doesn't help, that moment when she smiled felt like a stab on my foot, I probably physically flinched when I saw that.

Oh man, what memories.

Extremely borderline case, with very obvious EG .. possibly B? flags, and wanna know what's the worst part? if someone were to create a thread for her these days, I would have to rewatch the two motherflipping episodes again, and I would feel the same way about her sadly.

RyuZU was suggested by .. someone, and I rejected her.

Rea from Sankarea, not a chance bud.

Mirea was probably added by Zettai, I know for a fact that both he, and Gpg, loved to add manga only characters, that's why we have a handful of those.

I'll leave the rest for later but, that Sargatanas .. it's not the first time I've heard that name.

and that girl Sakura is looking good too, like one of those from the dandere side with A traits -- I don't watch CGDCT, sorry about that.

But hey, we could do this all day, add the girls from vndb and anidb, type sunao cool on the search bar, this is never going to end, as you can see, we have been and still are understaffed, and checking all of these cases manually is too much for only 2 people, we don't do that here, now what I would recommend is, either keep an eye out for those girls in the shows that you normally watch, or just suggest characters from works that you're familiar with, anime you've already watched because you already know a lot about them, so you can provide more information about these characters than anyone else .. unless you're one of those people who watch anime at x2 speed, you should be able to tell us everything about this character without having to spend a whole day trying to remember.

Now that would be helpful.

Further inquiries will be redirected to the respective thread intended for character suggestions
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Kuudere, dandere, introverted and logical female love stories romance

kiwi0fruit - Sep 4, 2020

12 by kiwi0fruit »»
Apr 17, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Are robot waifus acceptable in this club?

Lennuh - Sep 12, 2023

3 by DrMondaiNashi »»
Sep 17, 2023 8:21 AM

» Kuudere is (Not) a Personality

DrMondaiNashi - Nov 29, 2022

0 by DrMondaiNashi »»
Nov 29, 2022 8:41 AM

» The Neglected Group: Dandere

DrMondaiNashi - Jan 13, 2018

12 by DrMondaiNashi »»
May 31, 2022 6:02 PM

» Who are your favorite kuudere or dandere character(s)? ( 1 2 3 4 )

EtherSword - Mar 22, 2009

164 by Spicelit »»
May 15, 2021 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.