Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Should they call SAO an isekai?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 27, 2020 9:04 AM

Jul 2020
It is like saying why does everyone call One piece,My hero academia,Bleach, etc a shounen.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 27, 2020 9:06 AM

Aug 2018
It involves a character going to another world so yes it is a isekai
_______I like rocks__
Nov 27, 2020 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
I don't like having Isekai as a genre but one thing's for sure, Angel Beats is an Isekai and nothing can make me say otherwise
Nov 27, 2020 10:08 AM

Apr 2013
Chiibi said:
Zefyris said:
Shana's cannon height is nowhere near as short as many characters in anime.

凛々しいまたは可愛らしい顔立ちと称される東洋系の少女。見た目の年齢は11

Are you sure you have the right Shana? She's described with "the appearance of an eleven-year-old girl". In that case, Hestia would have to look like an EIGHT-year-old...and....uh...she clearly doesn't.

she's officially 141 cm after checking. Also was speaking about heigh, not age appearance. But regardless, Hestia is slighty smaller than her as she's around 140, which is Victorique de Blois's height. Hestia is a loli with big breasts, that's just it.
ZefyrisNov 27, 2020 10:12 AM
Nov 27, 2020 10:26 AM

Oct 2010
currently it's 273 - 98 for isekai
I don't see any problem is tagging it isekai and sf, that way you know the other world is a sf construct, but the action will happen in that world (game world).
shows like el hazard should be isekai but they aren't sf, they have phantasy, magic, ecchi etc.
this thread lasted for too long
Nov 27, 2020 10:38 AM

Mar 2020
Because it's an isekai. A video game world is still another world.
Nov 27, 2020 12:59 PM

Apr 2013
Catalano said:
I don't see any problem is tagging it isekai and sf, that way you know the other world is a sf construct, but the action will happen in that world (game world).
shows like el hazard should be isekai but they aren't sf, they have phantasy, magic, ecchi etc.

isekai can be fantasy, SF, or whatever your want. But that still requires the world to have another world.

And since a game world isn't another world (otherwise we live in an isekai right now), SAO isn't an isekai, regardless of some uninformed opinion ~
Nov 27, 2020 4:49 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread moved to the series sub-board.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Nov 28, 2020 5:47 AM

Oct 2010
Zefyris said:
Catalano said:

isekai can be fantasy, SF, or whatever your want. But that still requires the world to have another world.

And since a game world isn't another world (otherwise we live in an isekai right now), SAO isn't an isekai, regardless of some uninformed opinion ~

when you play games on your pc it's just that but in sao their brains have an experience through avatars from their pov, they are in a game world which is part of sao world, but in aincrad physics laws do not apply etc. imo, the setting is isekai for it is a different world. now, we just can't settle if the game world is a diffent world or not. I don't think this is its major tag, I feel we should keep it at SF.
you say uninformed but we don't have a clear explanation as to what isekai anime is, japanese say just ''a different world''. anyways, I am no expert, these are just my theories.

why was this moved? sao has how many mal entries? and the movie is not LN material. so now we're discussing what exactly? thanks mods for destroying another discussion, now no one will see it, who the fvck is checking sao forums?
Nov 28, 2020 9:04 AM

Apr 2013
Catalano said:
Zefyris said:

when you play games on your pc it's just that but in sao their brains have an experience through avatars from their pov, they are in a game world which is part of sao world, but in aincrad physics laws do not apply etc. imo, the setting is isekai for it is a different world. now, we just can't settle if the game world is a diffent world or not. I don't think this is its major tag, I feel we should keep it at SF.
you say uninformed but we don't have a clear explanation as to what isekai anime is, japanese say just ''a different world''. anyways, I am no expert, these are just my theories.

why was this moved? sao has how many mal entries? and the movie is not LN material. so now we're discussing what exactly? thanks mods for destroying another discussion, now no one will see it, who the fvck is checking sao forums?

that's still just a game server on earth. Isekai clearly doesn't fit at all.
Feb 26, 2021 10:08 AM

Apr 2015
I don't think SAO is isekai. Just as Goblin Slayer, Redo of Healer aren't isekai, despite feeling like isekai.

In SAO they use technology to travel to the virtual world. It is something man-made, something man can control (Administrator or whatnot). We have VR in our age and playing VR games isn't considered isekai. Maybe we can one day actually create games like in SAO where your mind is actually transported to the game. It is something we could consider possible. I can't see it, however, as isekai.

Or should we consider time travelling to be isekai? Because they are basically travelling to another/alternate world. Hell, then even dreams are isekai. Because our minds are transported to another world and we are kinda trapped there till we wake up. So do you think dreams are isekai?

In my opinion, SAO is sci-fi with elements of isekai. That doesn't make it a isekai though. Just as it doesn't make many fantasy anime isekai just because they share many similar elements.
Jul 23, 2022 6:02 AM

Apr 2020
deg said:
The Matrix is an isekai today i learned

So is The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland :)
I don't know how signatures work

Apr 14, 6:44 PM
Aug 2015
Reply to SignsOfSuicide
Well Isekai means like "another world" and the game as the setting fits that role. I'm not too big a fan of using Isekai as a genre myself but a lot of people do it cause it is convenient.
@SignsOfSuicide when you learn what a isekai is sao counts as one 100%, more so if you take the game Memory Defrag into context, there was a collab in that game with Persona 5 where the cast of SAO where in a dungeon and met the cast of Persona 5 who said aincrad is like a palace, its another reality and another world, so sao classifys as a isekai since they are in another reality, virtual or not it dosent matter. Main Kirito is in the real world while a copy of him is in alicization as the Star King and is immortal.
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to OneAutmmLeaf
@SignsOfSuicide when you learn what a isekai is sao counts as one 100%, more so if you take the game Memory Defrag into context, there was a collab in that game with Persona 5 where the cast of SAO where in a dungeon and met the cast of Persona 5 who said aincrad is like a palace, its another reality and another world, so sao classifys as a isekai since they are in another reality, virtual or not it dosent matter. Main Kirito is in the real world while a copy of him is in alicization as the Star King and is immortal.
@OneAutmleaf "Well Isekai means like "another world" and the game as the setting fits that role." I agree with you lol
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Apr 21, 7:12 PM
Aug 2015
Reply to SignsOfSuicide
@OneAutmleaf "Well Isekai means like "another world" and the game as the setting fits that role." I agree with you lol
@SignsOfSuicide Yeah idk I think people just try to find things to argue/get mad about, doesn't help that alot of kids frequent the forums lol.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - Apr 27

39 by Hango-Man »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.