Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jun 11, 2020 12:20 PM

Jun 2017
Ahahah! I thought it was a tape that Ishigami and Shirogane were pulling off! It was only a toilet paper! That sure looked sturdy!🤣 And it looked like it was stretching!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jun 27, 2020 4:55 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, this is it, the season 2 continuing what it left in the 2019 sceneries. Its better late than never, so here i am to see the continuations over their relationship. Was Kaguya's wished become true here? Lets see how far the shit goin on in this season.

The sweet moment in the first scenes. Nice! I believe its an okay method to attract more audiences, and put more misunderstanding. That narrator godly narration comes back! Ah, Hayasaka in her first action figures. She kept her nice and ellegant style, there. Great. Her changed of tone never missed the chance to made me smile. Its such a great little action there, and put some warmth welcomed to me. In the end, not much happening. Ah, a bit dissapointing. But, yeah, next scenes!

That accidental couples kept holding some surprising moment. Idk if i am happy to look at them or like Miyuki and Yuu feel there. Lmao. The train references was good, and Kaguya flustered really adorable. Chika's game in the third sections? I called it an absurd game. And ofc Yuu got catched very easily, there. The moments of Kaguya, Miyuki, and Chika's played so far still kept the same joke from previous season. Chika's banter actually kinda lame. Fortunately there was some sweet moments came to closed that silly game. Its an okay segment to me.

Birthday plan was an okay too. The narrator kept his best to give that narration into the great momentum. The end was predictable, so, yeah, thats it. I found not much new thing appeared there. Its only that lucky couples in the second season that interested me. The rest was okay. The amount of comedy kept their best like previous season. Unfortunately there was no brand new to their banter. So, yeah, i hope i can get something else in the next episode, rather than just the same battle, execution, result blurry, next battle, and repeat. An okay introduction to me, no more....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 3, 2020 11:02 PM

May 2020
Great first episode. If this season is on par with quality as the last, its going to be great!
Jul 5, 2020 1:18 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
What a comeback, really cool to head and see the characters after so long, the fact that they start off by Hayasaka is saying a lot.
Jul 10, 2020 1:06 PM

May 2013
I love and missed this anime so much <3

Also, the ED song is AMAAAAAZINGGGGGG!
Jul 20, 2020 7:45 PM

Jun 2019
Glad I'm finally catching back up with this one. Loved the first season and the card game had me laughing so much.

"if you marry Fujiwara, it will drive you to depression." Very good and sound advice.

Intro with Hayasaka was also great. Like having different intro's. Overall, very satisfied with how this episode played out and excited for the rest of the season, and how much it adapts from the manga.
Jul 26, 2020 10:34 AM

Jun 2009
Oh HELL yeah I'm shipping Kaguya x Chika.
Sep 7, 2020 3:55 AM

Oct 2012
That life game was definitely the pinnacle of this episode, so hillarious! :D

Also, plenty of incredibly animated parts, wonder if they keep it for the next episodes too.

Kinda sad that this time Chika was reduced to comedy relief character only (well, I know she is but here it was over the top, even more than before). But it's still true she basically carries this show.

New OP was nice but not on the level of the last one.
Sep 26, 2020 8:07 AM

Jun 2020
omg i almost died laughing when they were spying on nagisa and her bf that was HILARIOUS

LOL @ ishigami losing chika's game almost immediately & then warning them that her game sucks LOL!!!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 7, 2020 5:45 PM

Mar 2008
Sums up the whole episode

Nov 29, 2020 7:59 AM

May 2015
i ship kaguyax chika
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 8, 2020 8:01 PM

Aug 2020
Really loved the first season of this and I watched this one dub unlike the first one and I honestly didn't care too much for it but I absolutely love Austin Tindle so I'll probably continue to watch it dubbed anyway..

About the anime itself it was pretty good! I loved when they played the board game. :)

Jan 4, 2021 3:36 AM

Mar 2015
Thought it was a cute episode to bring things back!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 16, 2021 9:55 AM
Jun 2020
This was a really amazing start for 2nd season I really enjoyed 1st episode it's hilarious as hell and Hayasaka intro the ninja girl got a chance to show her skills, overall brilliant the same comedy and love war as season 1 😊.
Apr 8, 2021 9:22 PM

May 2017
that was pretty much the worst episode so far lol. Not a great start for the 2nd season.

also felt like this episode was 40 minutes long
Apr 28, 2021 4:10 PM
Mar 2021
Honestly, i just thought this anime was kinda cute but mostly funny. I'm sure it'll get better, but i prefer to leave it on hold until I finish assasination classroom
Jun 25, 2021 5:49 PM

Jan 2021
This dude comes in with a hole new look and gloats about his summer vacation then to add insult to injury he feels sorry for the prez

Jul 29, 2021 11:33 PM

Jul 2009
Enjoyed the opening! Love Stealth Hayasaka :)

Lol that Boyfriend/Girlfriend has gone a long way since S1.
Aug 19, 2021 12:22 AM

Dec 2020
dont know why but i seem to be enjoying kaguya more than the last season lmao, its still basically the same but this episode was nice ! them playing fujiwara's game was hilarious
Sep 14, 2021 1:44 PM

Mar 2019
Nice opening episode, seems like it started right from where season 1 ended. Gotta say, I still love Kaguya's "ice queen" appearance a lot, it's too badass. The opening's nice as well (knew it already) but not as amazing as the first opening, still great tho!
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Oct 17, 2021 10:10 AM

Jun 2021
They came back as if they'd never left. Amazing.
Oct 23, 2021 3:24 PM
May 2020
Since s3 got announced I finally decided to watch this season. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner, this shit was pretty funny
Nov 11, 2021 4:36 AM

Dec 2020
forgot how much i loved the chracters, great to see them again. ishigami is funny as always lol
Jan 27, 2022 9:53 PM

Apr 2021
Usually I take a break after watching a particular season of a show, but in this case it can't be helped cause some shows are just too good to watch later.....

That said Season 2 is off to a good start......This episode had quite a lot of interesting things starting off with Hayasaka being all cool, almost like a spy lol

And it's good to see Ishigami and Chika again :)
Lol Chika and her board game session was really funny, they even got married!!!!.....
But of course it's as the narrator said "If you marry Fujiwara, it will drive you to depression"
Overall this was an awesome episode!!! Can't wait to see the others!!!

Also that ending song was not actually the Ed, by the looks of it, it was probably the OP......and yes it's so much better than season 1's OP....I'm listening to it again and again :)

Feb 3, 2022 2:21 AM

Aug 2018
Nice nice nice start of another season, very nice seeing some improvements in technical parts of the show
Apr 7, 2022 2:44 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So when I first watched this I almost binged it all in one sitting, so both seasons basically felt like one single season to me. Re-watching it, I'm trying to differentiate the two to see which season I like more.

For now what I can say for sure is, hot DAMN season 2 starts off with a BANG. ALL GAS NO BRAKES

Also that is some strong-ass toilet paper. Ishigami really looked like he was putting his back into pulling it apart.

S1's highlight was easily them taking Kaguya to see the fireworks at the end. Duh. What I'm looking forward to now is what I think most consider to be S2's highlight which is

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 7, 2022 2:06 PM

Jan 2022
Episode was a great start to a new season, whole episode was hilarious and super enjoyable. Loved the opening bit with Hayasaka especially
Apr 17, 2022 1:38 PM

Apr 2013
A strong first episode as expected, Ishigami is still a poor soul, the girls really are making this not easy for him.
Jun 18, 2022 4:30 PM
Apr 2022
Nice first episode it still funny
Aug 30, 2022 5:01 AM
Jul 2022
i love it. give me more
Sep 1, 2022 4:56 PM
Mar 2022
it was cool i liked it it was funny :)))))
Sep 29, 2022 12:37 PM

Apr 2018
LOL the first part made me laugh so much
Oct 8, 2022 7:20 AM

Feb 2020
Unlike some series in 2022, I'm glad they kept the same vibes the show had in S1. Hope for a great continuation of this story.
Oct 11, 2022 10:56 AM
Dec 2017
foda. eles são muito virjões <3
Oct 15, 2022 9:13 AM
Nov 2012

“I swear I’ll make you say it. The words I love you.”

Kaguya-sama: Love is War is a freight train barreling through the anime season defying all expectations of the romantic-comedy genre. Like a Gatling gun, it infinitely fires off perfectly timed visual gags with an expert presentation. The entire show is a cacophony of over-the-top hilarity and manic energy, this is one hell of a ride. Frankly, if you’re not laughing you probably have a broken jaw.

Watching Kaguya-sama’s second season is like witnessing an elaborate symphony. The woodwinds, brass, strings, and percussion all play in harmony. There’s hardly a shot that doesn’t utilize an imaginative technique involving the shot composition, editing, sound design, or staging. Kaguya-sama did not invent all of the tricks it employs, but it’s the only anime to use nearly every single one in the book. It's a visual feast, from the mesmerizing transitions, the art style swaps, to the vast spaces conveyed through the staging. Director Shinichi Omata has an authentically genuine view of human behavior, which he expresses in crisp, introspective, and sometimes startlingly heartfelt close-ups. Omata’s signature technique is his well-timed close-ups, but his greatest contribution to this material is his storyboarding. Regardless of the punchline he adapts, he always turns it into gold. Each shot flows into the next connected with his unique aesthetic. From an eye to a cup of coffee, to a nighttime city landscape.

The thrill of seeing Kaguya and Miyuki’s mind games never ceases to excite me. This season, the secret conflict between Kaguya and Shirgane intensifies to the point of hysterics. Coupled with feverish voice performances, the eccentric soundtrack, and the murderous precision of the director and you get a picture functioning at maximum capacity. Yet it somehow one-ups itself with each episode. The real battles they wage are won by fighting dirty. Watching their smoldering spats devolve into mudslinging and bitter posturing is hilarious. Underneath the thin veneer of sniveling politeness for a public appearance lies pure rage between rivals. Ultimately both fighters become so wrapped up in their self-centered minds they stupidly destroy him—or herself. Both of them have tightly-plotted game plans, but they never go the way you anticipate. Kaguya is frighteningly stoic and exuberantly self-absorbed. Aoi Koga kills it once again as Kaguya. Her range is phenomenal, she sells her role like none other. Despite her inherent absurdity, she is believable. As we see during the election arc, she will stomp you to a pulp if you get in her way. Kaguya’s life is consumed in hyperbolic ambition to win over Shirogane. Miyuki is, as ruthless as ever, an overachiever striving to overcome his modest upbringing. Gradually they both begin to accept their feelings of love for one another, but neither can act on it.

Unlike your typical comedy anime, none of the characters are joke dispensers. They’ve been developed into real people with individual personalities, backgrounds, and senses of humor. For that reason, when Ishigami lands a cynical zinger, it doesn’t feel like the writers are using a B-plot character to tell their latest puns. He’s cleverly commenting on the harsh truth under his breath—a joke no one but him would tell. Ishigami’s delightfully deadpan personality distinctively sets him apart. Every other side-character is so unique they could carry an entire show on their own. The supporting characters are as vivid and vital to the show as the leads. During the election arc, Miko Iino joins the fray winning unexpected popularity with the audience due to her relatable struggles with anxiety and her willingness to overcome it. Her moments on stage hit close to home. The execution of her arc earned her a permanent spot on the cast roster. Hayasaka, once again, is the voice of reason. She earned more screentime this season and she devoured every second of it. She calls out Kaguya internally and plays games with her. It’s always clear what she’s thinking, this girl is crazy. Her idiosyncrasies are so bizarre compared to the others, her kind of humor is unpredictable.

Comedy is a highly subjective genre, as such Kaguya-sama gets a lot of criticism. Much of it is fair critiques which I respect. But some of the ‘criticism’ is just nonsensical whining from pretentious elitists who don’t realize comedy has evolved since the 1990s. Rather than responding to each negative review individually, I thought I’d give you a list of contrarian talking points and the arguments debunking them.

One common critique of Kaguya-sama is the use of a narrator, which baffles me. Oftenly third-person narrators are used as a writer’s crutch for exposition and explaining jokes, but here that isn’t the case at all. The omniscient narrator is like a sports announcer, perfectly complimenting the high stakes war games with his booming voice and over-the-top commentary. He creates a metatextual connection with the audience by giving instant reactions to the action and rapidly reviewing the battle’s results. You’d expect him to be a reliable link to reality for a breath of fresh air, but his perception of love is suitably insane.

To those who find the comedy repetitive, it continually iterates on its premise neverendingly. The second season maintains the same simplistic setup, but why make a drastic change when the creators can consistently keep it fresh and entertaining? I've heard many critics of Kaguya-sama say “The romance doesn’t progress,” but it does. The whole show revolves around their relationship progressing at an intensely slow pace, it’s the point. There are social lines Miyuki and Kaguya can’t cross such as sharing personal information, physical contact, informal conversation, etcetera. Throughout the series, as they cross these lines, their romantic advances become increasingly suggestive. Respective to normal relationships their romantic interactions are immeasurably subtle, but at the moment they feel larger than life due to the context. Anyone whose been in love knows the first move is always the most difficult. It is blisteringly painful to cross the line into unknown territory. This show captures that once-in-a-lifetime feeling on the precise line between youth and maturity.

In a normal rom-com, this ultra-fine progression would feel forced, but here it makes so much sense because of their complicated relationship. One of the central themes, class disparity, prevents Kaguya from acting on her feelings because Shirogane is in a lower socio-economic class, her father would never allow them to date. Being an affluent business conglomerate, her father wants her to marry someone powerful and wealthy. Shirogane explicitly confirms this in an internal monologue when backed into a corner, “This is a matter of pride. Shinomyia and I come from different backgrounds. I thought it was necessary to have her confess to me before we could date as equal.” This class disparity is visualized in incredibly minor ways, such as Miyuki’s sister counting how many newspaper deliveries it’d take to buy a shirt. Seamlessly we now know she’s a hard worker without being bogged down by exposition. Juxtapose this moment with Kaguya curiously wondering why due to her privileged ignorance, and you get a nuanced class divide between real people. Pair this nuanced character writing with stunning direction and you have a masterpiece.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War is a passion project. These days TV anime are quickly made on the assembly line to maximize profit, and I understand why many people are dubious of a series as popular as this one. The small studio that created this knew their time and budget limitations. They worked around them not with flashy sakuga, but by employing every creative filmmaking technique they could. Every episode pushes the limits of the TV anime medium further and further—it never ceased to amaze me. When those final credits rolled each episode, all I could do was sit back, inhale, and realize I had been smiling the whole time. Kaguya-sama is packed full of mania and true love. Every twist and turn adds more depth for the next time you watch it. I can safely say this is the most fun I’ve ever had with an anime. I’m ready for more.
Nov 30, 2022 10:23 PM
Mar 2020
The first episode has me dying lol.
Dec 18, 2022 10:06 PM
Aug 2021
the board game was so funny
Mar 3, 2023 3:48 AM

Dec 2022
A very awesome start to this season and Hayasaka is definitely one of my favs here alr yuh.

May 8, 2023 7:05 AM

Nov 2010
I'm curious about who will end up confessing first.
Very nice. We are starting the season with the hottest chick in this show, Hayasaka! I want to marry her!
1:38 WTF. With that kind of daily routine, I'd be amazed if he could live past his 30s. lol
3-6 mos? That's too slow. I reached stage C with my first GF within a few weeks, and I'm still considered slow. lol
Those train scenes were hilarious!
14:25 Even their baby has Fujiwara's ribbon. lmao
That board game chapter was so funny! Anyway, I'd rather be old and super-rich than be poor and have a family. Of course, having the best of both worlds is preferable.
May 13, 2023 12:22 PM
Jan 2023
Extremely funny with hilarious jokes that are very relatable to everyday relationships that in these episodes seemed like in a big concentration. Best episode so far.
Jan 2, 7:55 PM
Mar 2019
the masterpiece comedy is back bro
Feb 25, 12:15 PM
Jun 2017
The production value and creativity in animation has really taken a step up since the first season. Really feels like a strong start to the season/making a case for itself as worth enjoying distinct from the manga, moreso than the first season.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2020

367 by Temho »»
Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

256 by sainazrb »»
May 9, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Jun 20, 2020

665 by aoo-kun »»
Mar 31, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - May 23, 2020

304 by ZeStark »»
Feb 21, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 2, 2020

296 by Kier_Reference »»
Jan 31, 7:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.