Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2020 7:45 AM
Jul 2016
Trypo said:
Im speechless. After all the speculations and diagrams ive made from promotional art and pvs and stuff it was still worse than what i thought it would be. But then again I am very biased because Ive grown up with Studio Gallop. What I dont understand is why they dont atleast try to emulate the ygo style its known for. Studio Bridge copied the Saint Seiya artstyle before so they should be able too. I cant stand the over the top chibi expressions in this especially when their mouths take up all the space on their faces...

that was toei production
Bridge was just helping like they did with fairy tail.
Apr 10, 2020 8:40 AM
Dec 2018
killuaxgon said:
Zerockman said:
I never watched Yugioh before, I tried watching it for the first time and I kinda liked it a lot actually. Maybe this isn't the best season to start but I figured since it's independent from other shows in the series I could watch it. As a fan of anime like Digimon and Inazuma Eleven I really liked the "childish" stuff that will possibly in the future get into something more mature and dark. I'll gladly keep watching for now

Just watch the first Duel Monsters episode, it's so much better and epic than this shit. And the second episode is dark af

I probably will try
Apr 10, 2020 9:18 AM

Oct 2011
So basically it's a totally different card game with a totally different card design. They only used the name "yugioh" to be able to show the Blue-Eyes White Dragon without copyright infringement

Apr 10, 2020 4:58 PM

May 2012
I find it kinda hilarious that the original series starred Yugi who had a 7* dark element magician as his ace card and this one stars Yuga who has a 7* dark element magician as his ace card.

Also these new rules actually seem kinda interesting. So long as they don't totally replace the original ruleset (though I haven't actually played in years anyways) I don't see any problems with it. Though my friends and I never really worried too much about sticking to the vanilla ruleset anyways. We tried all sorts of modified rulesets, though our goto was basically vanilla still. (Only difference is we'd just keep going after someone won for the hell of it.)
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
This is really not the first time i feel the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise is plagued by nostalgia fags who can't stop jerking to the original series and properly enjoy the new stuff because "muh childhood"

Personally I haven't watched the series at all since the original and I enjoyed the first episode. I'm not sure I've ever seen any episode of the other series before. Actually enjoyed it a ton more than I was even expecting since I just decided to watch it on a random whim with basically zero expectations from it, lol.
Apr 10, 2020 7:06 PM

Nov 2009
ROFL, what did I just watched?

This is like Zexal all over again...

And that's interesting how the Duel Disk apparently can change shapes regardless of whatever the next "king" duelists comes up with...

But it also pretty much ruins the game for everyone that doesn't immediately adept to the new game... since I doubt you can revert the disk manually and duel other ppls with older disks... lol (I know if this happened in RL, I'll be pissed if my Duel Disk suddenly changed shape and ruined my game, especially if I was in the middle of one)

___ ___ ___

Anyways, I'll watch a few more episode, but if it start to get weird and too kids-ly... I might skip this like I skipped Zexal.
amlgApr 10, 2020 7:53 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 12, 2020 7:02 PM

Jul 2017
The whole "saving the world with card games" skit was dumb so I'm glad it's gone. In my head, Yu-Gi-Oh should be a slice of life show about people playing card games and having a good time. If you wanna go the serious route, you can make it so that a few lives are at risk like in Selector, but card games don't need to be taken that seriously.

Honestly, I think the change is good for the series. I only wished it wasn't so kid-friendly. I mean, I can count with one hand the number of kids I have seen at my local game shop. But who knows, maybe it'll turn into Madoka Magika somewhere down the line xD

The rules I'm not completely on board with. Sure, Konami handled the card game about as well as their videogame IPs, but they didn't need to regress that much. At the very least it will make for some funny memes.

-Did you just summon a bunch of monsters in one turn?
-Yeah, so?
-That's against the rules, isn't it?
-Not anymore
-I knew- wait what?

Even if you kill me, even if you kill anyone, even if you reset science… There’s always an idiot who will try anything, and the shiny monkeys will inevitably create a technological civilization.

Apr 13, 2020 11:36 PM

Dec 2015
I came for a 20th anniversary celebration of YuGiOh but it's still a kids hobby turned "serious" scifi anime (more on the hobby /less on the serious here, but a conspiracy is surely to expect), now promoting a beginners speedy format. Maybe it is better suited to wannabe newcomers that would discover it on TV (just like what WøC tried years ago).

Nice opening (apart from a few pictures)

3/5 (but I won't go further)

@divineiniquity Constant hand renewal + no basic summon limit: seems a good choice to prevent the old "2-4 eps/match" that plagued all the series. Also, it helps the accent on monsters fictional Ygo always had.

@FuyuSakura Why would nt Konami try to get this new system in the West? Seems like a good initiation product to grab children young enough to "indoctrinate" them.
Oh, I see how redundant it might seem. I had no idea "speed duel" was a thing outside of videogames (like the one I found on 3DS with special events through the year). The "community" (brrh, I really can't stand that word), if you mean by that the mass of already acquired players ("players base", in english?), should have nothing to say against something overtly not targeted at them. Especially if it aims at introducing younger peoples, helping to sustain the consumers base, etc (the same way I appreciated that Pokémon then YGO led peoples foreign to game shops to take a look at Magic). Plus, it even gives current players a new set of alternative rules: in the end, everyone gets something or not but nobody's losing anything. I remember early players joking about those overpriced "duelist booster packs" sold at the dawn of GX, like they were the intended customers... Is this new cards canvas definitive or is it extension/card specific?

@Keredna It's just a "table game" you play with friends, nobody minds that you keep playing the same way you were. I didn't bother changing my Magic deck's structure when rule changing made it non viable after 15years. In YGO, where they like to create entirely new rulesets now and then, you can't feel obliged to follow strictly one if you dislike it.
Rei_IIIApr 14, 2020 4:35 AM
Apr 14, 2020 3:47 AM

Nov 2019
Rei_III said:

@FuyuSakura Why would nt Konami try to get this new system in the West? Seems like a good initiation product to grab children young enough to "indoctrinate" them.

One of the most popular reasoning for that is Konami of America deemed it unnecessary because physical speed duel exists and they're afraid that rush would clash with it.

Though, after seeing the community's kneejerk reaction to sevens I think they made a wise decision there. Perhaps they'll import rush later (most likely the digital version of the game) when things are settled down a bit.
Apr 18, 2020 1:21 AM
Dec 2018
They're so tiny its funny XD
May 26, 2020 5:27 AM

Jan 2016
SpeedRoidGenm said:
Glad I did enjoying it. From now on I'll keep watching the show since Zexal, ARC-V and Vrains became dull and stupid.

This one looks nice and fresh.

ZeXal wasn't dull and stupid, was nice and fresh. pls
Jul 22, 2020 7:11 PM

Jan 2016
amlg said:
ROFL, what did I just watched?

This is like Zexal all over again...

And that's interesting how the Duel Disk apparently can change shapes regardless of whatever the next "king" duelists comes up with...

But it also pretty much ruins the game for everyone that doesn't immediately adept to the new game... since I doubt you can revert the disk manually and duel other ppls with older disks... lol (I know if this happened in RL, I'll be pissed if my Duel Disk suddenly changed shape and ruined my game, especially if I was in the middle of one)

___ ___ ___

Anyways, I'll watch a few more episode, but if it start to get weird and too kids-ly... I might skip this like I skipped Zexal.

>"This is like Zexal all over again..."
But have you at least watched ZeXal for the entirety?

Mod Edit: Removed 2nd half.
KuniiJul 23, 2020 2:03 AM
Oct 1, 2020 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
I've never seen any Yu-Gi-Oh before this one, and I'm not planning to either.

Personally, I love the start of Sevens. Has a lot of charm and was very fun. I really like its style too. Very strong beginning. They seem to be under some totalitarian regime where dueling is controlled and restricted. Yuga wants to walk on his own road and rebels against the system by creating his own rules which are full of potential and possibilities. Also there is a whole numerology motive going on, with Gohda being obsessed with the number 6 while Yuga with 7.

As for the core cast, they are decent from first impressions. Rook and Romin in general seem very mysterious and like they have bigger plans than they show at first.
Also there seem to be people possessing supernatural abilities If I have to judge from Rook's Demon electrical powers.
removed-userOct 1, 2020 5:30 AM
Jun 9, 2021 6:46 PM

Jun 2015
I don't really like how this show criticizes the game, calling it "old and rigid" and stuff. Rush duels could've been introduced in a way that doesn't tread on the real game. Otherwise it was a fine first episode

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Mar 10, 2023 4:35 AM

Dec 2012
A kid is dreaming.
The kid wakes up.
Yuga Ohdo.
He got 5 penalties.
Goha city.
Seitokaicho appears.
His duel bicycle?
Whoa! What do we have here? Her name is Romin.
Sougetsu Gakuto.
Install new rules?

An ok start. I finished VRAINS in September 2020. I thought I was done with the Yugioh anime after the reveal of SEVENS (I followed the pre-release news)and its change of direction, but I decided to watch it now. The OP song is great and catchy, but it feels weird at first for a Yugioh song like ZeXal's first OP. Yes, there's "Kawaita sakebi ga" from the 1st Yugioh series, but that was the 1st OP ever and sets the tone. I had to rewatch it multiple times for it to win me over and it did. The ED song is ok. Let me start this off by saying that Romin's design is top tier. She's slays her outfit or any outfit she wears as shown in the OP in the orange-ish outfit. I can't help but love her design. She design is attractive as fock. She is best girl. Continuing... I see Yuga has a catchphrase "Boku no roudo da!". I see that they kept the "Sore wa dou kana" line that started with Yami Yugi. They even kept the "I bet it all on this 1 draw" line from Yami Yugi. Though, in the manga, he says "I bet my life on..." because the manga is darker, so they used the tame version of Yami Yugi from the DM anime that says "I bet it all.." iirc. Interesting that Goha Corp is basically Kaiba Corp. They copied Kaiba Corp's Crystal Cloud Network from Transcend Game/The Dark Side of Dimensions that takes all duel disk data and sends it to the servers. Another interesting thing is that Goha Corp has taken over everything. You can't even trade a card without being supervised by Goha. It was interesting seeing the computer summon OG cards from as early as 1999 like Lesser Dragon. Blue-Eyes being CG hurts to see. Also, there's a lot of 7. With that said...

Before I clicked on the thread, I made a bet with myself that none of you would mention this 1 thing about the rules in Rush Duel and as expected (because majority of you only watch the anime)... none of you mentioned it. What could I be referring to? In the original Yugioh manga, during Duelist Kingdom, Kaiba and Yami Yugi face each other using the prototype Duel Disk. During this duel, they were using the Expert rules. The rules for this game were different from the standard rules. Two rules from the Expert rules state: 1. The Duel Disk has room for only 5 cards. 2. On every turn, players draw as many cards as necessary to keep their duel disk filled with 5 cards. So the max you can draw is 5. Now... what happened in Yuga's duel? He had no cards in his hand so he drew until he had 5 cards. Did the anime staff look back at the Yugioh manga and insert 1 of its rules for Rush Duels? or is this just coincidence? Either way, once again, the spinoff series does something the original series already did. Takahashi is a tensai. It'd be nice to know if a staff member was cultured enough to read the manga. Well, Hikokubo is doing the duel layout and he's the only one on the staff from the DM anime and if I recall, Hikokubo did read the manga in order to change some of Takahashi's manga duels in the DM anime.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 29, 2023 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
Have to say that this was a really strong start compared to Vrains or Go Rush. The characters were full of personality for once.Very strong GX vibes.
Dec 12, 2023 4:57 PM
Jul 2022
I loved this episode
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 92 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2022

11 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 28, 12:38 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 87 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2022

5 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 27, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 67 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

6 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 26, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 66 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

2 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 26, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 65 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

4 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 26, 1:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.