Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 17, 2020 2:58 AM
Jun 2020
love this series overall definitely gonna read the manga after this and yeah 8/10

and i wanna shipppp nikaidou x kaiman!! lmao
Oct 25, 2020 3:54 PM

May 2019
9/10.

Adult Swim, the Anime

It is almost a perfect example of the same dark humor of american series from the golden age of Adult Swim, BUT with a plot, a good anime plot and narrative.

The best of 2 worlds, just like the Hole x Wizard realm.

Now, about the story, what we may guess at this point:

- Kaiman IS that Risu's friend. The voice and the hability with knifes denounced everything.

- Risu and his friend got envolved with the guy who was cutting heads from En's Family.

- Risu's head got discarded, so maybe his body was taken by the guy who cut heads.

- Now, after the fight with En, it seems like Kaiman body is keeping "The guy who cut heads" inside, until he finds who he is looking for. Probably the magic of Ebisu prevented him to take control of the body of Kaiman.

Nov 18, 2020 5:41 AM

Sep 2014
Kinda weird show, not bad, but not really good either. The animation is kinda disgusting too, great background art, but the dynamic scenes and characters. Pure uncanny valley. I seriously hope MAPPA doesnt do this CGI character shit for AOT.

The show reminded me a bit of blood blockade battlefront, Im kinda confused by the story though, ngl.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 10, 2020 3:54 AM

Jul 2017
Good episode. I won't say it's close to being the best episode of the show but it was a nice seeing how Nikaido named Caiman in the past, and seeing them reconcile with each other despite Caiman knowing that Nikaido is a sorcerer, let alone one with a special ability that En and others could potentially want if aware. Asu was a real one too in helping Nikaido escape with Caiman.

Overall, I was underwhelmed with the adaptation when seeing it weekly but after rewatching it at night with the right atmosphere, I loved the hell out of it the 2nd time. So many entertaining moments, so much creativity and absurdity, and some great and enjoyable characters too. Nikaidou, Noi, Shin, Ebisu, En, Caiman are all fucking great. I had a blast with this rewatch and I can say this show is the first MAPPA-exclusive show that I like (exclusive since not counting Hajime no Ippo S3), and it's the 2nd best anime of the year for me (#1 of the year if not counting sequels).

MAPPA did incredibly well with the Dorohedoro material here. I consider Dorohedoro to be one of the most difficult manga out there to animate and adapt due to how detailed and gruesome the art is and turning it into animation on paper sounds extremely challenging and easy to fuck up, and the dark humor and gore has big chances of not translating well if not treated the right way. I felt both of that a bit when I first saw it weekly but with a binge at night and a refreshed mind, I felt like MAPPA killed it with this. It's not perfect, some minor stuff was removed and a couple things felt a bit fast but overall, to take Q Hayashida's art and humor style that's really challenging to animate and bring the best out of it and make it work in anime form is really special from them. I've criticized MAPPA a ton as they just never seem to be able to produce a good anime for me, whether its due to the mediocre material they chose to adapt or the studio falling short. But they did a super job here. 9/10 overall.
animejasDec 10, 2020 3:59 AM
Dec 26, 2020 1:41 PM

Jul 2015
Dammnit cliffhanger. Pretty great season, Asu true mvp for saving Nikaido there despite it probably breaking some devil rules he has to adhere to. Really think Caiman's body perhaps belongs to Aikawa considering their similiar build, really curious to what happened. Can't wait for a second season to see more of the duos Nikaido & Caiman, Shin & Noi and Johnson & cockroach.

Jan 5, 2021 6:58 AM
Apr 2016
This was great, now i have to read the manga to know how the story unfolds no way i'm waiting till a second season gets released xD
Jan 6, 2021 4:05 AM

Mar 2015
Great anime I loved every moment of it and I'm really looking forward to a second season if one is in the works!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 30, 2021 1:30 PM
Dec 2018
I'm dissatisfied with the ending, i wanted more things on caiman's past ;-;
Jan 30, 2021 1:30 PM
Dec 2018
charlieman999 said:
This was great, now i have to read the manga to know how the story unfolds no way i'm waiting till a second season gets released xD

Lol thats exactly what i was thinking of doing, could you tell me the chapter i should start reading from if you read the manga?
Jan 30, 2021 1:32 PM
Dec 2018
Comander-07 said:
Kinda weird show, not bad, but not really good either. The animation is kinda disgusting too, great background art, but the dynamic scenes and characters. Pure uncanny valley. I seriously hope MAPPA doesnt do this CGI character shit for AOT.

The show reminded me a bit of blood blockade battlefront, Im kinda confused by the story though, ngl.

The story seems better than the animation tbh. Like at first I also thought that animation was too plain since i'm used to seeing detailed stuff but I got used to it as the show progressed. Caiman's mysterious past keeps the story going.
Jan 30, 2021 2:22 PM
Apr 2016
Dotxyz said:
charlieman999 said:

Lol thats exactly what i was thinking of doing, could you tell me the chapter i should start reading from if you read the manga?

I think from Chapter 40, but some manga readers say it's better to start from the beginning because some chapters were not adapted and it's better to start from the begining to get used to the different art style of the manga and to to read those unadapted chapters, that's what i'm doing.
Jan 30, 2021 2:23 PM
Dec 2018
charlieman999 said:
Dotxyz said:

I think from Chapter 40, but some manga readers say it's better to start from the beginning because some chapters were not adapted and it's better to start from the begining to get used to the different art style of the manga and to to read those unadapted chapters, that's what i'm doing.

Oh alright! thank you for telling me :)
Jan 31, 2021 5:34 AM

Sep 2014
Dotxyz said:
Comander-07 said:

The story seems better than the animation tbh. Like at first I also thought that animation was too plain since i'm used to seeing detailed stuff but I got used to it as the show progressed. Caiman's mysterious past keeps the story going.
its just too all over the place for me, combined with the garbage animation its like a fever dream.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 31, 2021 5:37 AM
Dec 2018
Comander-07 said:
Dotxyz said:

its just too all over the place for me, combined with the garbage animation its like a fever dream.

I think they made it confusing on purpose so that they can make s2 a lot better and fill in the gaps, keeps the suspense going :P
Though it obviously isn't that confusing that you get lost in the story and don't even know what is happening anymore.
Feb 7, 2021 9:58 PM

Sep 2018
Uwahhhh!!! I thought they will reveal something huhuhu I need to read the manga but I hope there's season 2! I really enjoy this series a lot. I love the comedy part of this series, the villain is not annoying.. I even love them! I love En's family.. they're really a family, not just a boss and underling. I love Noi and Shin partnership, I ship them a lot. I'm curious with Caiman, I think Caiman and Risu is different people but I'm still clueless about their identity :( it's a good show, I love the animation of fight scene, the character designs are unique, it's CGI but not annoying to watch. 10/10
erenmeiiApr 3, 2021 1:53 AM
Feb 13, 2021 3:29 PM
Aug 2020
Wow, what a shit ending, prime example of a "go read the manga now" ending, nothing got resolved.
Mar 2, 2021 12:12 PM
Jan 2018
Looking forward to reading the manga now will eventually start it but now that I have all the volumes I won't need to worry.

Didn't see much wrong with animation apart from slow motion in a few areas but don't know if that was intentional or not and alot of it looked smooth especially the fights in many of the epiosdes

It's to be expected when nowdays when a anime dosent have a ending or resolves nothing and is a "go read the manga" complaining about it isn't going to change anything and pretty much every anime is like that

Anyway liked this series alot as well as the characters I'll give it a 8 for now untill I read the manga
Mattinator95Mar 2, 2021 12:20 PM
Mar 9, 2021 11:45 PM
Apr 2020
Really thought this will be bad at first since Netflix always ruined the story and rushing it when they're in charge, but MAPPA did pretty great. Everything on the animation is great as expected and the CGIs was done pretty decent (just like on Beastars). Although there's so many plot holes (thanks to Sh*tflix rushing it) but it's still pretty understandable.

Gonna leave this with an 8/10 score. Since the conclusion has a cliffhanger, I hope the new season will be made in the near future (considering that many animes get a new sequel this year). I'll be waiting cause there's still many unanswered questions...
Apr 12, 2021 5:49 PM
Apr 2021
The anime was surprisingly good.
I easily prefer the manga, but I can't forget how difficult it is to adapt Dorohedoro and they did it well. They've a great understanding of the source humour & atmosphere.
May 9, 2021 8:55 PM

Jul 2020
Dman we were really ended on a cliffhanger didn't we; but anyways, I really enjoyed this show and I'm definitely looking forward to a second season, overall it's an 8.5-9/10 for me
Zackack99Jun 27, 2021 12:51 PM
May 10, 2021 12:53 PM
May 2019
Brutal , Amazing world building , extremely likable characters.
May 12, 2021 10:56 PM
Dec 2018
Now I kinda regret I didn't watch it while airing I was watching a lot of seasonal anime that time so I never check this one. And I would say, I enjoyed the anime love the gore scenes, the characters, and especially the unique story. There's still a mystery regarding what happened in "that alley". I hope MAPPA will make another season.
8/10
VaineeeeeeMay 15, 2021 3:52 AM
Jun 14, 2021 9:07 AM

Mar 2017
I can't believe how much I loved this anime. I put off watching it for ages because of the extreme violence and gory but tbh it's not that bad because the characters within the anime don't react to it like it's something horrific... in fact, they carry on like it's so normal that after a while it feels normal to the audience too haha

The plot is so intricate and the mysteries that pop up throughout the season keep you hooked... like to the point that you find yourself trying to work it all out ALL THE TIME! Overall though, I'd say the thing that shines the most in the anime is the characters. Despite what 'side' they were on, I loved them all equally.
Jun 18, 2021 3:05 PM

Jun 2019
My 95th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Oct 21, 2021 8:58 PM

Mar 2015
I didn't thought I'd like Dorohedoro. it's full of CGI and I heard that it's mostly comedy, but once I started watching, I ended up loving it! the CG, the comedy, the action, everything blended well.

It's a very unique anime and I hope we get a season 2.
Nov 6, 2021 4:10 PM

Mar 2020
Great anime, even though thr CGI wasn't so great. But what the hell is this cliffhanger.. Instantly ruined the good mood I had.
Nov 14, 2021 8:08 AM

Dec 2008
This was in short one of the best anime out there, with a more concluding end I would have given it a solid 10/10. Sure the gore was hard and really in your face, but the mixed in comedy made it bearable. Most damage was fixed again by medicine and magic, so it was not shocking when some dear characters were blown up. The world building was excellent, aside from all the dirt Hole looked like an interesting place. It was visually inviting and a really cool story with good dialogues.

The voice acting was on a very high level, I really liked Caiman and Nikeido.

It was nice that there was no black and white about villains and heroes, sure the sorcerers were a crazy bunch, but they also were portrayed in an interesting way. Shin and Noi are nearly a better couple than the main protagonists I dare to say.
I liked that there also were a few deep connections between a few Hole citizens and sorcerers.

Ebisu was too weird for me, maybe she became mentally challenged but so weird lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2021 10:28 AM
Nov 2020
need a season 2. I know that MAPPA is already working on chainsaw man,jjk and AOT, cant wait, the epic trilogy of dorohedoro.
Dec 29, 2021 7:41 AM

Mar 2021
This was surprisingly great! A few months ago I started reading the manga but paused a few chapters later. The anime has now rekindled my interest in the manga :)

My only complaint is that it's mostly CGI, but even that is not a big issue, as it does look very good most of the time. ANYWAY:

The wacky but interesting plot, the characters, the villains, the setting, the locations, the powers, the comedy, the fast pacing, the music, the voice acting, all of it is impeccable! MAPPA really poured love into this adaptation. And of course, big props to the mangaka for this bizzare story :D

Hopefully we will get a season 2, in a reasonable time, as MAPPA is definitely working on too many shows at the moment! I NEED SEASON 2!!!!

Jan 25, 2022 8:44 PM

Jul 2012
Given that the sewer sorcerer fanboy said that when he came out of the hole with Caiman, he saw Nikaido.

Which surprises Caiman who was told it was during the time period in the hole *when he had a normal face.

Sewer guy had a small story... but the key piece from him is that he saw Nikaido together when Caiman had a normal face.

-------
I'm guessing she used her time control powers in the future.
------

Caiman says the name "Caiman" rings a bell when Nikaido suggests it at the hospital in this episode.

Also in some earlier episode, according to the subtitles, we hear Nikaido's voice **declaring* or telling him that his name is Caiman. I think. It's different than at least what the show presents as Caiman's naming in this episode. His distorted memories in that earlier episode gave a more direct Nikaido telling him what his name is.

At least from what I remember. I cooked my brains out while watching this. That intro. Gyoza all the way!! I watched this show, learned how to cook, drink and eat + smoke!

<3
That being said, ebisu bestgirl x fingers crossed for season 2 !! x

Nikaido got a faced with birdman's palm cinch. Poor Nikaido nose. -_- en en EN!!. He hid that sly face there. What a character he is. Wondered if he intentionally palm smacked Nikaido, at least half so I bet, then I noticed... she wasn't even talking to have to shush her like that.

Waiting for the promises between Nikaido and Caiman to be put to the test! Always be Caiman best boy's friend. Never use her magic. I smell a time loop though !!!

Her door has those fast forward re wind symbols, wonder what happened to her old friend. Did she age him up, send him back in time, opposite or something in between?!
kUshPandA_ENJOiJan 25, 2022 9:13 PM
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Feb 14, 2022 6:03 AM

Aug 2020
Pretty good. Looking forward for season 2

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jun 5, 2022 10:18 AM

Jun 2019
Ahhh... it's over. What now? I think I should read the manga. Who's that man in the dark? I'm guessing the real enemy. I hope En will be distracted from the fake Nikaido. Caiman and Nikaido made up in the end and they're still friends. Cute.

A really good show overall. I really enjoyed it. The CGI was really well done and the soundtracks were really good as well. As for the banger OP and constantly changing EDs, they were freaking amazing.
Aug 5, 2022 2:19 PM

Oct 2013
Kaiman vs. Nikaido looked great. I'm glad they end up killing each other, haha.

This show was awesome. Really fun ride with unique atmosphere and beautiful CGI visuals.
Aug 9, 2022 6:21 PM
Sep 2020
incrivel pra caralo
Sep 29, 2022 10:45 PM
May 2020
Second time around please Satan give us a season 2!
Sep 29, 2022 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
alpo42ab said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/44511/Chainsaw_Man

Enjoy the watch.
Nov 12, 2022 9:51 AM
May 2020
I hope it gets a second season eventually! I heard that this show was REALLY underrated, under the radar.
Nov 17, 2022 3:59 AM
Dec 2019
great great love!!!
Nov 18, 2022 7:41 AM
Oct 2015
Grusomhed said:
alpo42ab said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/44511/Chainsaw_Man

Enjoy the watch.

As an anime only viewer I can say these two series got A LOT in common, with the essence of it is the similar vibe they both have.
Hope we will see full adaptation of both.
Nov 19, 2022 10:56 AM

Sep 2011
NOOOO! I was watching the time and kept thinking “there is no way they can wrap up the series…NO WAYYY” and well I guess there will be another season. Which is actually a good thing cause I wanna see more of this anime anyways.

Aikawa…Risu in the mouth…headless Caiman walking through a magic door when he fought EN..I need answers! I need to see Nikaido’s magic in action and well, I just need to see more of her alone.

Loved the series. Started off a bit slow but makes sense once you keep watching it through. It’s different kind of anime and while the world isn’t one that I would like to be a part of, I do like the story and just randomness that it has. The characters are different and their personalities are something I wouldn’t be able to come up with myself.

Excited to see the next season! (Hopefully there is one)
Vandelay Industries, this is George Can’t-Stand-Ya speaking, how may I assist you?
Jan 15, 2023 11:34 AM
Aug 2022
oh maan what a wild ride!! i am completely head over heels for this enchanting world and mesmerizing characters. keep them coming mappa. 
May 2, 2023 5:07 PM

Sep 2017
Maaaan it's unfortunate they had to end it at such an uneventful spot. I guess there was no great point in the manga around what 12 episodes would make up to feel like a good ending spot for a season. This was a super fun series. Sucks there's still no season 2 but I'll probably end up checking out the manga at some point.
May 17, 2023 3:11 AM

Oct 2022
I'd say the thing that shines the most in the anime is the characters. Despite what 'side' they were on, I loved them all equally.
May 27, 2023 1:24 AM
Feb 2022
Hmm, this one was a little hard to score. There are some annoying things about this show. It overall feels very shonen with seinen themes of violence and other more adult like scenes. There is too many flashbacks and other jumping around in time. The story is already confusing enough, and it’s no wonder that it progressed slowly given half of the show was in the past and the rest had tons of filler in it. Also I agree with some other commenters that main girl is uggs and to me looks fake with plastic eyes. Maybe it was intentional to make her look so bad but whatever it is what it is.

Having said all that rant, and being certain going into the show and even throughout it that there is no way Im giving it an 8 like it’s currently sitting at, I ended up doing that anyways. It is one of the most original, creative shows I’ve seen. It was entertaining and funny. Most of all I enjoyed it more than the ever growing group of 7s i’ve handed out, so okay fine it deserves an 8. Can’t give it more than that though.
Jun 20, 2023 4:48 PM

Jan 2021
I think I have to drink a mushroom tea in order to really get this show, other than this, it's a solid 8/10
Jun 26, 2023 6:19 AM

Nov 2021
this anime was pretty simple and fun to watch...
mystery around Kaiman's identity, has intrigued me and has become my sole motivation to read the manga.
Jul 20, 2023 4:35 PM
Aug 2010
It started off really great and I thought it has great potential and the worldbuilding is pretty unique, but for some reason after a few episodes it felt like the story and anime doesn't know what it wants to be anymore. Everything felt super random like this Baseball match for example (almost an entire episode of it) everything felt out of place and sometime very filler like and the plot pace was all over the place as well after they started visiting the sorcerer world for the first time. It got sadly worse and worse for me and I couldn't enjoy it anymore at the end. Still it was pretty okay-decent overall it had a great start at least 6,5/10 for me
Aug 4, 2023 4:12 AM
Feb 2020
Not even tryna be funny this entire series had some of the most convenient story telling in history. Trash writing. It was carried by the characters which were actually pretty good. I genuinely don't know how this is rated so high. It's not bad or offensive but it's by no means even good
Aug 4, 2023 4:15 AM
Feb 2020
Can't lie not a great show. I don't know what I'm missing that everyone else saw but between the convenient writing, mediocre plot, and the 3d animation which was worse in the beginning but was pretty alright by the end. I honestly don't see the hype. The characters were the only good part but they were good enough for me to watch till the end. Solid 5 or 6 out of 10
Sep 23, 2023 2:49 PM

May 2020
It has to be some cliffhanger ending after all, with a lot of questions still to be addressed. But I like how despite hinting us one thing after another, it's still kind of difficult to see the whole picture, to what exactly happened to Caiman and then with Risu. Anyways, with that Aikawa dude in the picture, I'm guessing that used to be the true identity of Caiman.

A bit of Caiman's past, and how it was Nikaido who named him Caiman. Liked that, and their reconciliation too in the present. Thumbs up to Asu by the way, man's doing a "god's" job for our duo despite being a "devil" by nature lol.

Liked this one with its super dark cum chaotic atmosphere, and then there are such likeable characters too. Though it feels like the story has just now picked up, but to our disappointment, this is all we've for now.

A season two would come someday, or atleast that's what I want to believe. After all this wholly deserves that much.

8/10
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

112 by Suckmypokeballs »»
May 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

66 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 28, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

70 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 27, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

99 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 26, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

70 by FarCritical »»
Mar 26, 9:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.