Forum Settings
Forums

'Tenki no Ko' Wins 43rd Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year

New
Mar 7, 2020 12:17 PM

Jan 2017
Makoto Shinkai's fantasy romance anime film Tenki no Ko (Weathering With You) won the prize for Animation of the Year award at the 43rd annual Japan Academy Prize ceremony on Friday.

The film was nominated alongside Sora no Aosa wo Shiru Hito yo (Her Blue Sky), Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire, Lupin III: The First, and One Piece: Stampede.

Tenki no Ko premiered in Japan on July 19 last year where it earned 14 billion yen domestically and 186 million dollars worldwide so far. A manga adaptation drawn by Wataru Kubota has been serialized in Kodansha's Afternoon magazine since July 2019. Yen Press released the novel adaptation of the film written by Shinkai in December 2019, which debuted a day before the film's premiere in Japan.

RADWIMPS took home the award for Outstanding Achievement in Music for their performance in Tenki no Ko. The pop rock band won the same award at the 40th ceremony in 2017 for Kimi no Na wa. (Your Name.).

Hideki Takeuchi won the Director of the Year award for his work on the live-action adaptation of Mineo Maya's Tonde Saitama (Fly me to Saitama) manga. The live-action adaptation of Yasuhisa Hara's historical action manga series Kingdom received ten nominations including Picture of the Year.

Animation director and character designer Youichi Kotabe received a Special Award for lifetime achievement, along with scriptwriter Kouji Takada (Future War 198X-nen) and Tetsuo Kaneko (Koukaku Kidoutai).

The late veteran actress Etsuko Ichihara (Kimi no Na wa.), who tragically suffered a fatal heart attack on January 12, 2019, received a posthumous Chairperson's Special Award for lifetime achievement.

Source: Comic Natalie
SnowMar 8, 2020 12:06 AM
Mar 7, 2020 12:22 PM

Nov 2017
This really makes me excited for the release in may. Can't wait to watch it!

plz @ me
Mar 7, 2020 1:12 PM

Sep 2011
024 said:
This really makes me excited for the release in may. Can't wait to watch it!

I got to see it at a weekend showing and it's really good. I think it's my favorite Shinkai film.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Mar 7, 2020 1:49 PM
Apr 2016
Surprising, said no one during the ceremony.
Re:formed
Mar 7, 2020 2:09 PM

Jul 2019
I want to see this movie fast!!! I loved
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Mar 7, 2020 10:36 PM
Apr 2019
It was released last year in my region. Phenomenal animation, amazing soundtrack, really loved it.
Mar 8, 2020 6:57 AM

Feb 2007
More proof that Shinkai and Yoshiura are our anime gods.

More topics from this board

» New 'Keroro Gunsou' Anime Project Announced

DatRandomDude - Mar 31

13 by LuminousXstar »»
19 minutes ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for June

Aiimee - 2 hours ago

0 by Aiimee »»
2 hours ago

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - May 31

13 by 210200 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mayonaka Punch' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by RobertBobert »»
12 hours ago

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses [Update 5/31]

Snow - Apr 5

3 by Snow »»
Yesterday, 10:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.