Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 26, 2019 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The tennis matched continued into the series' finale. However, I think one important thing to take away from this episode is how much fun the tennis club is having on the court. Maki and Touma build themselves for this moment and it's paying off. Even the crowd got hyped up.

The match itself imo lives up to expectations. That knife scene though. No season 2 announced with a weird ending.
Stark700Dec 26, 2019 9:14 AM
Dec 26, 2019 9:06 AM

Jul 2017
Like No Guns Life, this aired earlier too.

While Rintaro is on the run to find his biological mum, Maki and Toma face the Itsuse brothers in a final match. This match won't come easy...but with their strategy paying off, both broke ground and equalize with the former champions while the rest of the Shijo Minami boys team cheer on for them for their surprise wins with confidence.

The final game...and the Itsuse champion brothers are slowly losing momentum against Maki/Toma, just like the teams before which totally lost their footing and confidence, but with the brothers, a slap is what it seems for them to wake-up their idea and get back in the groove to win the finals.

Unfortunately, what was feared ended up to be true...the family drama got totally lost in the fun of the match itself...but not without:
- Toma FINALLY knowing the truth of him and Rintaro being brothers while Ryoma was ONE STEP TOO LATE...
- Maki attempting murder on his dad...soon?

THAT'S ALL FOLKS...what a series finale for a show.

I think that we alll agree that we REALLY NEED A SEASON 2 / 2ND COUR TO ANSWER ALL THIS, although what was accomplshed can be seen towards its ending.
KANLen09Dec 26, 2019 10:02 AM
Dec 26, 2019 9:10 AM

Dec 2017
LOL? why? why would you end the show on this note? yikes...
you had a possibility to end it on a positive note, to conclude this whole "drama is diluted in soft tennis" and you double down with this ending? fucking hilarious

Dec 26, 2019 9:12 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was cool to watch but too much drama which made it felt like a parody...
Dec 26, 2019 9:20 AM

Feb 2013
Akane Kazuki (director) posted in his twitter account that the series was initially slated for 24 episodes but changed to just 12 last April.

machine translation:
""Starry Sky" ended broadcasting on TV in today's 12 episodes. However, the story still continues, and the dramas of the characters will move further after this. Originally it was a story of 24 episodes, and it was planned to complete another course three months later, so there are 13 episodes directly connected to 12 episodes. In the spring of this year, it was suddenly changed to broadcast of 12 episodes, but since this work has been made over 2 years and the drawing work of the main part has been advanced, we will make it 12 episodes from now"

https://twitter.com/Akane2514af/status/1210245903849644032
Dec 26, 2019 9:25 AM

Dec 2017
Chij said:
Akane Kazuki (director) posted in his twitter account that the series was initially slated for 24 episodes but changed to just 12 last April.

machine translation:
""Starry Sky" ended broadcasting on TV in today's 12 episodes. However, the story still continues, and the dramas of the characters will move further after this. Originally it was a story of 24 episodes, and it was planned to complete another course three months later, so there are 13 episodes directly connected to 12 episodes. In the spring of this year, it was suddenly changed to broadcast of 12 episodes, but since this work has been made over 2 years and the drawing work of the main part has been advanced, we will make it 12 episodes from now"

no wonder all the drama bs wasn't developed at all and felt raw; it's because it wasn't meant to be developed in this cour...
i'm legit thinking the drama at the end of episode 1 and this last scene were just done for the shock effect to keep the buzz about this anime going

Dec 26, 2019 9:28 AM

Jul 2017
Chij said:

machine translation:

To expand upon that, his following tweets seem to imply that an actual Season 2 is still up in the air as he asks for fans to support the series so the other half can be realized.

In other words, for anyone reading this that wants clarification, from what I can gather:
The show was originally planned for 24 episodes, got cut short to 12. There is a planned storyline for a potential 2nd season, but the production itself is not confirmed.

That said, I wonder if the change influenced the pacing of the show. Some have mentioned how some aspects of the show were paced too quickly, so I wonder if some elements were introduced earlier than originally planned due to the ambiguity of a 2nd season. Then again, a few months may not have been enough time to make a change like that.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 26, 2019 9:56 AM

Jun 2014
Wait....hold up, I did not watch the episode yet, but I did see someone posting the image of our main boy smirking while holding a kitchen knife, you are telling me we are ending the season (with hopeful tones from previous episodes) to this horror cliffhanger? Really?!
SmilingBeginnerDec 26, 2019 1:27 PM
Dec 26, 2019 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
zamandzoe said:
Chij said:

machine translation:

To expand upon that, his following tweets seem to imply that an actual Season 2 is still up in the air as he asks for fans to support the series so the other half can be realized.

In other words, for anyone reading this that wants clarification, from what I can gather:
The show was originally planned for 24 episodes, got cut short to 12. There is a planned storyline for a potential 2nd season, but the production itself is not confirmed.

That said, I wonder if the change influenced the pacing of the show. Some have mentioned how some aspects of the show were paced too quickly, so I wonder if some elements were introduced earlier than originally planned due to the ambiguity of a 2nd season. Then again, a few months may not have been enough time to make a change like that.

I think that's what it infers because for a production like this, it made sense to cover 24 episodes, but for it being 12 episodes, it was a very cut-throat decision to lose seemingly major plot points behind.

I mean, the story obviously still has a ways to go (and is evidenced by the final moments of Episode 12), but taking a risk in the anime industry is like the last decision for any changes involving a lot of money and resources, and then IMO assuming that even prodgies like Akane Kazuki himself would've bore all the grunt of making significant changes to a landscape he couldn't control. So right now, looking towards the dedicated audience that have watched this show is a gamble, but if it justifies the reasoning and question for a sequel, he'd gladly do it in opportune time.
KANLen09Dec 26, 2019 10:01 AM
Dec 26, 2019 10:13 AM

Nov 2012
A damn shame this reduced to 1 cour, it become increasing obvious as the show went on that they were cramming too much into it. It was still an okay show but damn wasted potential, unless of course the potential 2nd season does end up happening.
Dec 26, 2019 10:20 AM
Jul 2013
Man im rly sad this is gonna get bad reviews now (bc it got axed) since overally it was a nice watch Tbh i wish ppl knew that it was supposed to be a two cour. Like i saw the reviews and while i do agree with some i wish they knew it wasnt interntional per se bc it was supposed to be addressed in the 2nd cour.....
Dec 26, 2019 10:41 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
SmilingBeginner said:
Wait....hold up, I did not watch the episode yet, but I did someone posting the image of our main boy smirking while holding a kitchen knife, you are telling me we are ending the season (with hopeful tones from previous episodes) to this horror cliffhanger? Really?!
Yeah it's so weird wtf, I don't understand why the end is that depressing
Dec 26, 2019 10:43 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Context to what this ''final'' actually was.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1210255800997949441

This is exactly the story progression the director Kazuki Akane had in mind, nothing was rushed here. It should have been a two cour anime.

Now the special problem here is that they got informed way too late into production that the two cour plan witll be axed and they have only 12 episodes instead to work with.

So late in fact that they decided to have this air like it was supposed to be cause there was not enough time left to make significant changes to the anime.

First time i see something like this happen and since this is an original anime, we won't see the second half of the story unless maybe good sales happen and the commitee decides to give Kazuki Akane the second cour.
SmudyDec 26, 2019 10:47 AM
Dec 26, 2019 10:51 AM
Sep 2015
The very interesting thing about the dark post-credit scene. Cliffhanger? Yes. Bad End? No, at least for now. Despite this episode could be definitve ending with artful style, I believe it is not the true ending yet. In fact, if all of sequel project get greenlit I predict we'll see the good ending at the very end of the story.

The decision to have such a cliffhanger is definitely to boost a sequel demand (they know the last scene can create social media trending and probably adapted into internet meme), let's see if it will work or not. Competition in making anime is very fierce.
Dec 26, 2019 10:59 AM

Oct 2017
The final match was exciting, they put up a good fight but the result was expected. They had very little chance of winning against the champs.

Overall this was a joke of a sports anime, they cut actual sports scenes to put more useless drama. At first the drama was good but it was overused. Like wtf every player in the club has family issues, totally bullcrap.

The end was dark and now I hear there wont be any more episodes. So GREAT we are stuck with an eternal cliffhanger since this is an original anime.
MegamiRemDec 26, 2019 11:05 AM
Dec 26, 2019 11:11 AM

Jul 2017
So now my actual thoughts on the episode...

The tennis match was great - and despite losing it still felt fulfilling.

That ending though... Wow. Just wow.
I know the production decision supposedly didn't influence the actual writing of the show, but... I'm having a hard time believing this episode would have ended with Maki finding his father with knife in hand otherwise. I feel like the natural end to the episode would have been right after Maki talking to Shou.
Logically speaking, if any changes could have been made to the show, it would have been in the final episode.

Is the ending a bit extreme? Maybe.
Is it a pretty blatant attempt at garnering interest for a 2nd season? Yes.
But if it were to work and we got another season of Hoshiai no Sora, I'd forgive it.

Honestly, I really did love this show. While the pacing may have held it back from being a 10/10 show, I still feel it deserves a 9/10 - from my personal perspective at least.
Sequel or not, AOTS for me. And probably the best anime original of the year, out of what I've seen at least.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 26, 2019 11:13 AM

Sep 2018
KANLen09 said:

While Rintaro is on the run to find his biological mum, Maki and Toma face the Itsuse brothers in a final match. This match won't come easy...but with their strategy paying off, both broke ground and equalize with the former champions while the rest of the Shijo Minami boys team cheer on for them for their surprise wins with confidence.

The final game...and the Itsuse champion brothers are slowly losing momentum against Maki/Toma, just like the teams before which totally lost their footing and confidence, but with the brothers, a slap is what it seems for them to wake-up their idea and get back in the groove to win the finals.

Unfortunately, what was feared ended up to be true...the family drama got totally lost in the fun of the match itself...but not without:
- Toma FINALLY knowing the truth of him and Rintaro being brothers while Ryoma was ONE STEP TOO LATE...

I think that we alll agree that we REALLY NEED A SEASON 2 / 2ND COUR TO ANSWER ALL THIS, although what was accomplshed can be seen towards its ending.

Where in the episode did Toma found out Rintaro is his brother? Did i miss something?
well that's just my opinion.....
Dec 26, 2019 11:14 AM

Sep 2018
That ending was intense!!! I love how this anime plays with the contrast of the happy, friendly atmosphere in the soft tennis club and the darker stuff happening in the students' lives. Despite reading the bad news about this project being backstabbed, my hope for season 2 will live on. :(
Dec 26, 2019 11:15 AM

Jul 2017
Farmaceut said:
KANLen09 said:

Where in the episode did Toma found out Rintaro is his brother? Did i miss something?

I think the post-credits scene in Episode 11 hinted at that.

- Me

Dec 26, 2019 11:18 AM

May 2019
The match was so heartwarming that I forgot I was watching Hoshiai no Sora. What the heck was that ending? Why did they make such a cliffhanger fine while the second season wasn't even confirmed?

There were a lot of still images in this episode which decreased the quality a little.

Overall, it was a really nice anime but they went overboard with too much drama and the thing I feared happened, they rushed the ending. It should've had at least one more episode. I initially gave it a 9 but might switch it to 8 for these reasons.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Dec 26, 2019 11:23 AM
Apr 2018
The opening... was it cut on purpose?
Dec 26, 2019 11:24 AM

Aug 2013
The match was exciting and a close one.

8/10 for this.
The drama was a bit too much, however, I enjoyed seeing the matches. That ending though. :O Why do they have to end it like that.
I'm hoping for a second season.

Dec 26, 2019 11:30 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
yvanedisco said:

Wow, now that i think of it, this could be interpreted as a shot against the commitee.

It would make some sense for the ED which was also cut for additional effect to the following events but the OP?

Only wild speculations here :D
Dec 26, 2019 11:37 AM

Sep 2018
zamandzoe said:
Farmaceut said:

Yeah i remember that,but thats only hint, neither Toma nor Rintaro know that....
well that's just my opinion.....
Dec 26, 2019 11:37 AM

Apr 2009
zamandzoe said:
Farmaceut said:

It's clearly not possible, they are the same age and Touma's mother was in a completely different place.

Also this episode was a clusterfuck. Should have gone full school day for the lulz.

Dec 26, 2019 11:43 AM

Jul 2017
Jin_uzuki said:
zamandzoe said:

It's clearly not possible, they are the same age and Touma's mother was in a completely different place.

Also this episode was a clusterfuck. Should have gone full school day for the lulz.

That logic is indeed correct, but I recall Ryoma saying "They're both my precious little brothers."
Maybe he's referring to something else? Regardless, it was implying something even if it wasn't necessarily Rintaro-related,

And you're right about School Days. I was just making comparisons to that over at AniList.

- Me

Dec 26, 2019 11:47 AM

Mar 2014
Pfffft hahahahaha, what was that ending, anyway?

Also, ABYSMAL animation work this episode. So many inconsistencies and errors.

I feel bad for the production team, really.
Well, it is what it is.
Dec 26, 2019 11:57 AM
Apr 2018
Despite the animation inconsistencies in the final episode and the "overused drama", I'm still giving it an 8.
Dec 26, 2019 12:02 PM
Apr 2018
Smudy said:
yvanedisco said:

Wow, now that i think of it, this could be interpreted as a shot against the commitee.

It would make some sense for the ED which was also cut for additional effect to the following events but the OP?

Only wild speculations here :D

Cut the OP but wasted how many seconds of screen time on twins staring at the sky. Lmao.
Dec 26, 2019 12:15 PM
May 2017
YIKES at the end.

Overall this was a really good anime with a lot of cool matches and huge amount of tearjerking drama. not to mention all the great representation it had. I'm rating it 9/10 And It barely gets into my top 10.
Dec 26, 2019 12:26 PM

May 2018
Seeing this episode feels bad, the first half of the anime looks good to me but the last half to be clearly the family problems of the characters seems more uneffective to me. Especially seing how this anime end, surely a bad way to end the anime, but ofcourse it's not that I hate it. Now I hope they will continue this.

Dec 26, 2019 12:26 PM

Nov 2015
wtf was that end, no way this is not getting a second season or at least a movie/ova sequel

also, the match was a fun watch, I liked it
Dec 26, 2019 12:28 PM

May 2018
Seeing this episode feels bad, the first half of the anime looks good to me but the last half to be clearly the family problems of the characters seems more uneffective to me. Especially seing how this anime end, surely a bad way to end the anime, but ofcourse it's not that I hate it. Now I hope they will continue this, just need a few episode more so I can enjoy this like the first half does.

Dec 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Nov 2018
It doesn't feel like an end of season at all, but it still leaves us excited for next season.Good realistic anime about being misunderstood and mistreated.

Of course, lots of idiots understood nothing(as always).Seriously, why did you even watch it?It has 'sports' tag, but it doesn't have 'shounen' tag, go watch Kuroko no basket or Haikyuu, that is your level.
I hate everyone equally
Dec 26, 2019 1:06 PM

Nov 2016
I was actually more or less satisfied with this episode until the credits song cut, that's where it seriously took a turn for the worse. I'm actually quite baffled and equally disappointed that a series with so many strengths ended on such a note.

Was overall still a great watch for me. Loved the tone and music, especially the theme songs were among the best this year.

7.5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 26, 2019 1:17 PM

Feb 2011
First of all I want to start this by saying that I am aware of the fact that the director got screwed over by the production committee and he was forced to cut the show in half now then, with that out of the way let's dive into this episode:

1. I appreciate the show not giving the win to the Maki pair, but you're actually trying to tell me that Maki, that started playing tennis for 3 months, was so good that he was able to push the TWIN champions into a mental breakdown they couldn't get out of until they were nearly defeated ? Bullshit. I refuse to believe that the chemistry between the two twins was that fragile, for they have probably played for much longer and have solidified their teamwork for much longer than Maki and Touma. But holy hell is Maki an absolute Mary Sue.

2. The matter of fact is, this show is still incomplete. The are loose ends everywhere and the way they decided to end the show makes 0 sense. Again, I am aware that the show has basically been cut in half, but what was the thought process behind the decision to just roll with that ending ? The ED song also just awkwardly stops because they have to end the show lol. Just so bad. If it DOES get a second season then I'll come back and tweak the score, but until then this does not deserve anything higher than 6/10

Good effort from the staff, i guess.

Dec 26, 2019 1:23 PM

Jan 2017
For a last episode it felt anti-climatic, was my initial opinion until I found out that the show was meant to be 24 episodes and not 12. I don't feel like I can properly judge the show for only knowing half of the story. A lot of issues were left unsolved. Really wished this wasn't an original and was an adaptation of something but alas we will never figure out what happens unless a season two happens.
Dec 26, 2019 1:35 PM

Sep 2018
I'm going to be optimistic and give this an 8/10, on the assumption that there will be a second season. I really enjoyed the art style, especially how it contrasted with some of the darker themes of the story, and a lot of the character drama was pretty believable. Personally, I interpreted it that the boys were drawn to each other in the first place due to them all having similar dysfunctional relationships with their parents, which helps to side-step the 'too much drama' issue. May have to drop the score though if a second season is definitively cancelled, which would be a shame.
Dec 26, 2019 1:39 PM

Oct 2010
so much for my praising 8-bit for not being trash anymore. They did the Director bad with this. I hope they give a season 2 because this story NEEDS to be finished properly. I also noticed animation took a dive but it was passable. Good god I hope they greenlight a season 2 some day....
Dec 26, 2019 1:44 PM

Jun 2015
Shittiest end ever? Quite possible. This ending was a such a mess. They cut the story in half and decided to not change anything for the finale to at least save something. We will most likely never get the continuation so this will go down in history as an atrocity born from the horrors of the anime industry that is in such a pathetic state right now.
Fortune favours the bold!

Dec 26, 2019 2:12 PM
Jul 2019
I feel like Maki's actions at the end of the episode have made a lot of forum posters forget about the devastation that happened to Toma during that phonecall. That was so rough and I feel for him so much ;-;

I have never wanted a season 2 for any anime more than for this one. Seeing all the shitty reviews pour in today makes me genuinely mad and upset because this is a great anime. Tired of people saying this show has pacing issues or that it's too dramatic and doesn't have enough tennis. This is a drama anime over being a sports anime, it's not that hard to notice :/

This anime is DEFINITELY my AOTY. Nothing else has even come close to diving into a topic so heavy. Some people complain that this series jumps around from character to character too much and that the overall impact of each character drops as a result. I could not disagree any more. The show is very consistent with its overall theme of children dealing with problematic parents and each part shown contributes to a very unified goal. Not every parent is an asshole either, but by the nature of the clear thematic direction a lot of them are and we get to really see the familial dissonance play out in a number of ways. Each character has different circumstances, and they don't always know how to help each other overcome their problems, but we get a very compelling and well rounded view of them.

It's very clear that there's still so much more of their stories to be told, and I truly hope that we get to see the rest of what was originally planned for this show.
Dec 26, 2019 2:17 PM

Aug 2014
The last tennis match was hillariously bad specially after seeing the drop shot played and suddenly the player was at the end of the court shooting the ball randomly :D
Yeah this was just bad. 3/10
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 26, 2019 2:24 PM

Mar 2017
Such a shame it had to end like this

Can't ignore the overuse of drama for the sake of drama, but they handled those issues quite sensibly and realistically which made me really like this show in the end.
I badly want another season. That's never gonna happen tho. A bad end for this show.

7.5/10
Dec 26, 2019 2:24 PM
Apr 2013
Man, been some while since I last wrote here. Decided to stick with the series, because after all there wasn't that much drama, but of course the final episode has to end in a shit fest. This show seriously suffered from a lack of direction. They never decided whether they wanted to be a drama or a sports anime. Wasn't neither in the end. Could've been an 8 if they went the sports route, and perhaps even if they went with the drama, but the way it turned out it only is scratching the 7.
Dec 26, 2019 2:29 PM

Jul 2013
That could've been a really good ending if the rest of the series had been different. Shame about the cour being cut, but I don't think it would've changed how lame most of the drama was.
Dec 26, 2019 2:33 PM
Jan 2013
Sucks what happened but honestly from the end product i don't think the full story would've been much better

Incredibly ambitious but did not deliver, the atrocious pace did not help the pure overwhelming quantity of drama, none of which ever came to a head. You don't just get to just drop in a scene about how sad someones back story is, that's not story telling, that's pandering.

The sports aspect was poorly considered even if somewhat decently implemented

Tho tbh i don't necessarily disagree with people calling it AOTY, pretty god awful year of anime, the bar is incredibly low and this is much less pretentious, better candidate for AOTY then something like carole & tuesday
Dec 26, 2019 2:36 PM

Feb 2013
Kougeru said:
so much for my praising 8-bit for not being trash anymore. They did the Director bad with this. I hope they give a season 2 because this story NEEDS to be finished properly. I also noticed animation took a dive but it was passable. Good god I hope they greenlight a season 2 some day....

8bit don't decide it lmao it's not the studios who fund anime or anything like you think as if just one company funds everything, it's many companies on the production committee which has many from different industries. 8bit is on the committee, yes, but they are the 5th company with more funding on the project, it's not like they can and will do it alone as the other companies need to agree between them.

NAS (Advertisement)
TBS (TV Station)
FlyingDog (Record Label)
Movic (Distributor)
8bit
Shochiku
Sun TV
KBS Kyoto
Encourage Films (anime studio)

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1210277704211292160
Dec 26, 2019 2:49 PM

Mar 2010
Oh boy I LOVED this show up till last week's episode, but this was a hot mess.
Dec 26, 2019 2:52 PM

Sep 2017
praying for a season two right now. even though i had issues with the actual tennis part of the show, i NEED answers for what happened to maki's mom and if the asshole dad actually dies!!!!
Dec 26, 2019 2:57 PM

Nov 2019
The boy in the front of the gallery had his nails painted for the occasion. #nailsfordays

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM

» Some scenes missing in Crunchyroll?

KYSmequick - Oct 15, 2023

3 by heelyfrog »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 PM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2019

95 by bucciest »»
May 16, 2023 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.