Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2019 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thorkell is badass as hell. I think the VA really brings out a lot of his character into this episode/show.

RIP Ragnar. It's sad he's gone but that's life. Pacing is still the usual which isn't too different from the usual episodes. A lot of war drama as I had expected.
Oct 27, 2019 8:39 AM

Jul 2016
I feel sorry for Canute, that’s guy has seen some crazy things. Askeladd’s really an asshole.

Good episode, it looks like the “gang” will have to face Thorkell in the next episode. At this point, after everything Askeladd has done, I might be rooting for Thorkell, even though he’s also evil. I found the scene at the beginning a bit terrifying, they were practically torturing someone.

Overall, 5/5
Oct 27, 2019 9:47 AM

Feb 2018
He's got a devastated Prince that the King wants dead, Thorkell's army right behind him, and his own men have turned against him. Other than that, things are looking real peachy for Askeladd.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Oct 27, 2019 9:49 AM

Mar 2012
God, I can't wait until the next episode. Actually, from this point out the story is going to be freaking amazing and mind blowing. I've been waiting since 2008 for this stuff to be adapted into anime form.
Mike4992 said:
I feel sorry for Canute, that’s guy has seen some crazy things.
You really shouldn't.

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonOct 30, 2019 6:19 AM
Oct 27, 2019 10:02 AM
Jul 2018
What a brutal episode! Kept me gasping at every turn. Can't wait to see what happens next. Thorkell is an absolute beast.
Oct 27, 2019 10:07 AM

Nov 2016
Oh yes, things really don't go too well for Askeladd and that would be an understatement, but maybe he still has an ace up his sleeve to get out of this dire looking situation. We shall see what his next move is going to be. His men or rather former men will definitely get their punishment knowing that Thorkell doesn't like cowards hehe. Despite that I don't blame them for their decision.

Very suspenseful episode, waiting a week comes close to torturenot as bad as getting your fingers or nose cut, tho:s

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2019 10:19 AM

Jan 2009
damn Askeladds luck really runs out like those betrayers say lol its foreshadowed in the OP that Askeladd will die anyway so this might be it for him

and this dialogue makes a lot of sense to how Askeladd justify his actions huh

Oct 27, 2019 10:27 AM
Apr 2016
This show is just so charming, I'm excited every week to see a new episode. Canute doesn't seem to take this well, and from what it looked, he figured out who actually killed Ragnar. Well, I guess that's just how it is in their world; abandoning their leader when it's convenient to do so! Joining Thorkell won't go as nicely as they expect though, so unfortunate for the men.
Oct 27, 2019 10:29 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again.

It's interesting to see how fickle minded and disloyal Askeladd's are. You would think after all he's led them through, they would choose to at least believe in him even in a tight spot but I guess all of his previous victories seemed as nothing more than luck to them.

Really curious on how things are gonna play out from here especially after the coup-d'etat.
Oct 27, 2019 10:31 AM

Jul 2017
As soon as he requested those shears I knew exactly where this was going lol

Whole crew is pretty much fallen apart at this point, wonder how askeladd is gonna get himself out of this one lel
Oct 27, 2019 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Damn. The torture scene made me cringe so hard...in a good way. I still wouldn't call this show edgy for that. It's only natural there'd be a torture scene in this kind of show. Plus, it establishes a new level of cruelty of Askeladd. Just when the community says that Askeladd is "Best Girl" this kind of scene happens.
That last scene though, hooolllyyyy crap. Shit's gotten real.
Oct 27, 2019 10:40 AM
May 2017
That torture scene was too much for me! Lol at Thorkell killing the deserters. I definitely didn't expect all of them to betray Askeladd
Oct 27, 2019 10:41 AM
Apr 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Damn. The torture scene made me cringe so hard...in a good way. I still wouldn't call this show edgy for that. It's only natural there'd be a torture scene in this kind of show. Plus, it establishes a new level of cruelty of Askeladd. Just when the community says that Askeladd is "Best Girl" this kind of scene happens.
I just don't get what's with people deliberately searching like some hawks for anything to call "edgy," it's just a ludicrous term that should just die off already.
Oct 27, 2019 10:43 AM

Sep 2014
I'm so glad they went all out with the violence this week. What a spectacle! Askeladd is being betrayed by his crew while Thorkell is approaching. Things are going to be crazy from this point onwards. Cannot wait for next week.
Oct 27, 2019 10:45 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Askeladd is really running out of luck. Next episode is going to be epic.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 27, 2019 10:56 AM

Nov 2018
twoego said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:
I just don't get what's with people deliberately searching like some hawks for anything to call "edgy," it's just a ludicrous term that should just die off already.

Edgy is just a term, what people dont usualy realise is that edgy dosent mean "bad"". Berserk is an example of that, that manga cemented the steriotype of edgy, but the point is that its edgy but it looks cool...Vengefull protagonist with a oversized sword hunting basicaly the antichrist who poses as christ, it screams 'edgy', but that is not a bad thing AT ALL. Guts has a reason why he is a badass, he has been fighting for his life literaly since he was born, forced to train with a sword to big for him since he was a child, and surviving countless battlefields.

Now for the bad kind of edgy, protagonist who says he is a 'loner withoud friends'', that lives ont he margin of a virtual society, but miraculously is a chick magnet and has high social skills and proceeds to collect a harem and some male friends whose only purpose are to serve as comic relief. Also, he is better than everyone else because...he is.

See the diference? Berserk is edgy because theres a reason for it to be edgy, it dosent try to be edgy, it just is , the other show that shall not be named just dosent, but they still proceed to try their hardest to make the protagonist feel edgy.
TougenOct 27, 2019 10:59 AM
Oct 27, 2019 11:05 AM

Aug 2012
Ohoho, it's the calm before the storm!
Oct 27, 2019 11:14 AM
Apr 2016
Tougen said:
twoego said:

Edgy is just a term, what people dont usualy realise is that edgy dosent mean "bad"". Berserk is an example of that, that manga cemented the steriotype of edgy, but the point is that its edgy but it looks cool...Vengefull protagonist with a oversized sword hunting basicaly the antichrist who poses as christ, it screams 'edgy', but that is not a bad thing AT ALL. Guts has a reason why he is a badass, he has been fighting for his life literaly since he was born, forced to train with a sword to big for him since he was a child, and surviving countless battlefields.

Now for the bad kind of edgy, protagonist who says he is a 'loner withoud friends'', that lives ont he margin of a virtual society, but miraculously is a chick magnet and has high social skills and proceeds to collect a harem and some male friends whose only purpose are to serve as comic relief. Also, he is better than everyone else because...he is.

See the diference? Berserk is edgy because theres a reason for it to be edgy, it dosent try to be edgy, it just is , the other show that shall not be named just dosent, but they still proceed to try their hardest to make the protagonist feel edgy.
"Something or someone trying too hard to be cool, almost to a point where it's cringe worthy," that is the real definition, therefore you are incorrect! People distort the definition so much that now people have different definitions of the word in their head. Guts does not try to be "cool," good or bad edgy, it's in general IN NO WAY "edgy." Same with this show, since when does gore imply it's "cool"? The author had a completely different purpose for making it gory, therefore the word "edgy" cannot apply in any way. You can take Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto, people call him edgy, however, that is 100% incorrect, like literally, people's perspectives are damn clouded due to the idea that someone or something is something.
Oct 27, 2019 11:20 AM

Jul 2015
Askeladd's men have decided to rebel but they don't know how Thorkell will treat traitors,cowards and deserters.

Also that spear throw of Thorkell,i was amazed in the manga and i am amazed in the anime too

Oct 27, 2019 11:29 AM

Jan 2018
I don't understand Askeladd's man, he's a great leader but that don't mean he won't run into some problems now and there... And it was obvious that Thorkell was going to kill them because he dosn't need men that will betray him if something dosen't go their way.
Oct 27, 2019 11:35 AM
May 2019
The anime kept showing the ruthless side of vikings. Also, warriors will be warriors, thinking without their brains. Apparently, they're gonna get outplayed by Askeladd as well.
Oct 27, 2019 11:38 AM

Jan 2009
AntonioWux said:
And it was obvious that Thorkell was going to kill them because he dosn't need men that will betray him if something dosen't go their way.

it was obvious to the viewer or in hindisight but not to Askeladds men, those traitors will change their mind if they know how Thorkell killed the other traitors
Oct 27, 2019 11:41 AM

Feb 2019
Great episode like always. Can't wait for the next episode. Those cliffhangers are getting me pumped to reread the manga again.
Oct 27, 2019 11:49 AM
Feb 2009
nice setting it up for next week's episode and dang Thorkel just single handled 3-4 guys with a spear throw
Oct 27, 2019 11:51 AM
Nov 2015
Great episode yet again. Love that tension build-up.

Oct 27, 2019 11:57 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This episode was so great, probably my favorite, it was so violent shocking and realistic, Askeladd is really a devil
Oct 27, 2019 12:11 PM
May 2018
The soundtracks in this episode are so good. I can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 27, 2019 12:22 PM

Sep 2017
Oh man how tf is Askeladd gonna get out of this one. Just about everyone of his men is betraying him. Maybe by revealing some info about the prince. Nice to see things go so poorly for him tbh.
ProofByColorOct 27, 2019 1:13 PM
Oct 27, 2019 12:28 PM

Jun 2016
Thorkell's a fucking beast. He simply just makes things interesting and Askeladd's crew turning on him is hardly a surprise. They were always selfish pricks who only followed him for profit and gain so this was a long time coming.
A classic case of awful people working with awful people. With enough selfish incentive, they'll turn on their ally for themselves.
Now I wonder what's going to happen next from here on.
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 27, 2019 12:33 PM

Jul 2014
This is one of the episodes of the show where the slower pacing really paid off, gradually increasing the extent of betrayals against Askeladd until all other than Bjorn and Thorfinn have betrayed him by the end of the episode. And with Thorkell right on their tails, it's going to be interesting to see what if anything Askeladd has up his sleeve (he obviously has something with his request for "one more day", but what exactly?).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to another battle between Thorfinn and Thorkell after this.
Oct 27, 2019 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
This whole episode was so satisfying to watch, lol.
Askeladd and his bunch have digged their own graves, they're on each other throats now. I can't wait to witness their downfall.
Too bad it's not Dr. Stone we're watching here but I have to say it anyway: "This is exhilarating!" :]
Oct 27, 2019 12:49 PM

Jul 2017
AntonioWux said:
I don't understand Askeladd's man, he's a great leader but that don't mean he won't run into some problems now and there... And it was obvious that Thorkell was going to kill them because he dosn't need men that will betray him if something dosen't go their way.

They're very simple minded, on top of that they're mercenaries who aren't exactly paragons of loyalty. The fat guy basically explained it too, sticking with Askeladd at this point is a massive risk with no rewards to justify that risk, on top of that every decision he's made recently has gotten them more and more into deep shit. So they're down to betray him at the drop of the hat.
Oct 27, 2019 12:56 PM

Mar 2018
The last few minutes were horrible for my "poor" heart. Anyway fantastic episode perhaps maybe even the best one so far.
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Damn. The torture scene made me cringe so hard...in a good way.
I was expecting that Saxon captain to spit on Askeladd but I was proven wrong lol.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 27, 2019 1:48 PM
Mar 2015
Askelaad's luck has run out
Oct 27, 2019 1:52 PM

Mar 2018
Well Askeladd had it coming I guess? He really is pretty knowledgeable.. I doubt things will end there for him

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 27, 2019 2:02 PM

Jul 2019
The feeling of growing tension in this episode was just amazing. Even better was that the mood remained tense even after Thorkell has made some Norse schaschlik with his demi-god powers.
Oct 27, 2019 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
5/5

I hate traitors. No mercy for them.
Oct 27, 2019 2:23 PM

Feb 2014
Thorkell thee terror has arrived and everybody loses their mind.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 27, 2019 2:30 PM

May 2019
I love everything about this anime except Thorkell being an overpowered shounen villain. His VA does him justice though.

That cliffhanger though.. All those years with Askeladd and they decided to betray after a few tough situations. That's why you shouldn't trust thugs.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 27, 2019 3:06 PM

Jun 2017
broooooooooooo this ep was unreal. i cant even
askelad's men turning on him??? he def has something up his sleeve but like this ep was just so intense???? bruh. also thorkell once again being the badass mf he is. literally scary, askelad and thorkell make the show really interesting wheeww
also, just absolutely love the build ups in the episodes till now, vinland saga going on its own pace and being great af. def picking the manga i'm dying to read it now
can't wait for next week!!!!!
Oct 27, 2019 3:19 PM

May 2018
MrAwesome2018 said:
Ohoho, it's the calm before the storm!

the shit before it hits the fan*

in a good way of course xD
Oct 27, 2019 3:23 PM

Jun 2019
Poor Canute, he doesn't want anything to do with this war, and now he's lost his best friend.

Any likeability Askalaad had has been flushed down the toilet after all the shit he's done these past few episodes. I'd almost prefer Thorkell if he wasn't so horribly bloodthirsty.

Has Thorfinn done anything significant since the siege of London? For being the "main character" he's a complete non-presence.

The only thing I liked about this episode is how Askalaad's men turned on him. They have a point, he's been making a lot of bad decisions that have only hurt his troops. And Thorkell has consistently surpased their expectations, what's to say he won't do it again?

It'll be interesting to see how all this unfolds.
Oct 27, 2019 3:25 PM

Dec 2016
honestly it was funny when Askeladd said that Romans and Celts coexisted peacefully.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.98/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.167/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.89/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.66/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.55/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 27, 2019 3:27 PM

Dec 2016
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
Poor Canute, he doesn't want anything to do with this war, and now he's lost his best friend.

more like he lost his dad.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.98/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.167/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.89/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.66/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.55/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 27, 2019 3:30 PM

Dec 2013
Things are looking really bad for Askeladd. I don''t see how any of them are going to get out of this situation alive.
Oct 27, 2019 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
I feel this would had been 5/5 episode: The plot twists or many scenarios were interesting (and good) but didn't felt impactful like it was suppose to.. something just feel really missing especially the so-so direction and mostly the animation was very lacking.
Oct 27, 2019 4:05 PM

Feb 2018
oh man this episode had so much tension. I needed a breather. the moment when Askeladd men lost their shit as soon as they knew Thorkell has caught up was something else.

Oct 27, 2019 4:12 PM

May 2016
Another perfect episode... I hope they don't screw the rest of the season, this should became AotY.

Askeladd is a brilliantly written character.
-
Oct 27, 2019 4:24 PM

Jul 2015
they changed English captain saying
-danes raped and killed his wife and daughter
to
-danes tortured and killed his wife and daughter.

dislike this small change that departs from source material but otherwise great ep.
Oct 27, 2019 4:54 PM

Jan 2011
very brutal episode but whole time i'm just like "let them fight" it's the end of the line for Askeladd and it's gonna be wonderful.

pour one out for the captured saxon dude he got the last laugh after that awful torture
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

174 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by FarCritical »»
May 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2019

397 by FarCritical »»
May 27, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.