Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2019 5:07 PM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode corresponds to episode 17 on Crunchy Roll.

Despite how much happened this episode it felt like we were not getting as much character development as I would like. The pacing also felt a bit off, as though the scenes were start stop with no real natural transition. I suspect binge-watching this series would alleviate that feeling.

Still not a weak episode by any means. Yang and Schenkopp's discussion seems pretty verbatim from the OVA (I'll definitely be rewatching that once this adaption is finished to compare properly).

We are moving right along with the coup d'etat and into the main bulk of the series which is where Production I.G will really have to show off what they are capable of if they want to live up to this franchises reputation.
TheCommonerOct 24, 2019 6:56 PM
Oct 24, 2019 6:12 PM

Mar 2016
Schenkopp could've been more persuasive if he said something like "take control for just long enough to allow time for new elections after the current politicians have been cleansed and then abdicate the moment new leaders are elected" or something like that, and add that Yang won't be on the polls just in case he responds that the people might vote for Yang out of fear. Essentially, put more emphasis on how temporary the situation would be rather than how Yang will be the one to restore democracy.
Yang isn't the kind of person who loves having his ego stroked so the whole "dictator Yang" speech seemed poorly tailored for him, but then again Schenkopp is still learning about his commander.
Aure0linOct 24, 2019 9:58 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 24, 2019 6:23 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Yang Wen-li is always going to be Yang Wen-li, it is always going to be a pleasure to hear him talk. Dude's morals and ideals are the best I have ever seen in the medium and not to mention his down to earth personality. A flawless character through and through.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 25, 2019 2:26 AM
Apr 2016
Good improvement for FPA side, but...

Why Pfeifer's design too boring if compared with Ishiguro's version?
(Even Fujisaki Ryu's manga make his appearance younger than DNT version)
Oct 25, 2019 5:50 AM

Sep 2014
And the coup d'etat started. The whole FPA is in turmoil with the new government taking over. Bewcock's arguments were just too good for Admiral Greenhill to respond. The new regime is already worse than the previous one. Gotta feel bad for Greenhill having to see her father doing all this. Schenkopp tried to persuade Yang Wen-li to take over under the title of "dictator" and restore the principles of democracy once again. As expected from someone like Yang, he is really not the kind of person who has ambitions like this. Yang's fleet is now heading to Heinessen. A really strong start for the second movie. Cannot wait for the next episode.
Oct 25, 2019 10:45 AM

Mar 2015
I feel sorry for Admiral Greenhill (and for Frederica, obviously!), but he has his reasons too, and those are not the worst... Too bad even his best intentions have minimal chances of succeeding, since the whole coup d'etat idea is instigated by no one else but Reinhard von Lohengramm...

And judging by preview we'll be switching back to Empire side of the story, I think.

TheCommoner said:

Yang and Schenkopp's discussion seems pretty verbatim from the OVA

Yep. So far I can say that even though re-make often changes the 'scenery' of some scenes - most of the speeches stay exactly the same as in original)
Schenkopp&Yang, Julian&Yang - are prime examples ^^
Oct 25, 2019 11:56 AM

May 2018
So Admiral Bewcock has regrets of not taking the top post, too bad.

Man, I can't believe that the chicken Shit Lynch was able to amass some forces, I hate it when them FPA coup plotters were this stupid to follow a deserted like him.

So it's up to Weng Li to stop them coup plotters. before Reinhard von Lohengramm finishes his beef with them Royalties.

Oct 25, 2019 1:43 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
GepToRWhite said:
I feel sorry for Admiral Greenhill (and for Frederica, obviously!), but he has his reasons too, and those are not the worst... Too bad even his best intentions have minimal chances of succeeding, since the whole coup d'etat idea is instigated by no one else but Reinhard von Lohengramm...

And judging by preview we'll be switching back to Empire side of the story, I think.

TheCommoner said:

Yang and Schenkopp's discussion seems pretty verbatim from the OVA

Yep. So far I can say that even though re-make often changes the 'scenery' of some scenes - most of the speeches stay exactly the same as in original)
Schenkopp&Yang, Julian&Yang - are prime examples ^^

Both versions are extremely faithful to Yoshiki Tanaka's novels. That's very positive.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 25, 2019 2:24 PM

Dec 2015
Great. I liked the dialogue between Buckock and Greenhill. Also between Yang and Schenkopp. Those were some important scenes. Close to the novel.

They omitted a bit of talking between Julian and Yang about a possible plan to quell the rebellion on the 4 planets to get to the coup part faster. Also there were more "rules" set by the salvation council in the novel. (11 or so here they stopped at 6 I think to get faster to Greenhill appearing.)

Some small detail from the novel was there: The accident with young soliders dying. (In he news after Cubersly got attacked.)

They also left out a short scene where Phezzan was mentioned about getting infos about the coup. And a meeting of the coup guys before the actual coup happened. (After Fork attacked Cubersly when they decided to start taking action because of that.) That's okay like that.

Would have liked to see a bit how they announced some training to explain troops marching through the city (that actually carried out the coup) though. There was only mentioned that some guys working directly under Bucock were amongst the traitors. In the novel it was explained that Greenhill and some other guy (from intelligence) announced some training and that's why Buckock didn't suspect anything.

Also it seems Trunicht was drinking some 730 mafia before he escaped - which referred to this:
https://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Year_730_Mafia

(I found that there is a reddit post from 1 year ago when someone saw this drink. Didn't recognized it back then amongst some other bottles.)

Edit: Next episode finally Ovlesser in action if they keep up this pace. :D
Oct 25, 2019 4:20 PM

May 2014
I always liked this part of the story. Transient loyalties and realistically well-intentioned extremists with explicit arguments about the legitimacy and the consequences of the whole thing.

Yang doesn't like the idea of enacting a coup of his own and becoming a dictator even temporarily because it sets a bad precedent. People with different motives could adopt the coup idea without actually caring about democracy at all. That said, maybe he should have done so anyway. There seem to be legitimate arguments both for and against.
Oct 26, 2019 7:27 AM

Nov 2018
Very good start to the second movie.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 26, 2019 3:10 PM

Nov 2016
When Yang encouraged Frederica, that was so precious. That guy always knows what's up and how to hit the right tone.

These episodes have so much going on and before I take too long writing a wall of text I will simply keep it very brief and say awesome as usual.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 26, 2019 9:11 PM

Jul 2013
I really feel like the music direction and storyboarding(?) is leagues better in this second movie. The beginning scene where the assassination attempt happened and the Fredrica Greenhill reveal were stellar and unexpected. I suspect since i've finished the original series that i'd brush off any story/pacing related issues since I already have it all in my head, but this episode was great. 5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2019 6:37 AM

Jun 2017
I was kind of disappointed to be honest, but oh well, the episode is still good, we got to see the coup d'etat in the Free Planets Alliance. I wanted there to be a big battle though, but I guess that has got to wait until the next episode.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Oct 27, 2019 4:20 PM

Jun 2013
How to install a dictatorship.
Oct 30, 2019 9:44 PM

Jan 2012
This episode was so exciting!!!
I love this anime more and more by each episode <3
Nov 2, 2019 12:38 PM

Oct 2008
Always feel bad for Frederica in this part of the series. That's got to really suck, especially since she and her father always got along really well. Great episode as always.
Jan 3, 2020 10:30 PM

Dec 2013
I agree with Bewcock. I thought Greenhill would be smarter than this.

Poor Fredrica looked horrified seeing her father on TV.

I’m excited for Yang’s next move.
Jan 25, 2020 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
Even though I only have like a 50% understanding what is going on, I love watching this show. It feels so surreal and interesting at the same time in this sci-fi setting.
Jan 6, 2021 11:13 AM

Jan 2009
damn coup detat begins

Yang never takes a battle that he cannot win indeed

this episode is where that main theme "corrupt democracy vs benevolent dictatorship" starts eh
Jul 19, 2023 10:30 PM

Aug 2019
The coup d’état being led by Frederica's father was unexpected. 

However, I’m glad Yang assured Frederica that she is still part of the fleet. 

Of course, Julian is defending Yang.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Aure0lin - Nov 7, 2019

28 by MegamiRem »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:22 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 4 Discussion

TheCommoner - Nov 14, 2019

31 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 11:54 PM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 2 Discussion

TheCommoner - Oct 31, 2019

25 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 11:02 PM

» It's now a series, not movie

removed-user - Oct 8, 2019

6 by smatos21 »»
Nov 21, 2019 10:46 PM

» PV/Trailer vid

Aure0lin - Oct 7, 2019

0 by Aure0lin »»
Oct 7, 2019 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.