Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2019 4:40 PM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For those wondering this episode corresponds with episode 15 on Crunchy Roll.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what has been left out of the story so far in comparison to the OVA, and I know there has been a decent amount, but it still feels just as overwhelming a story as the OVA does.

The plot advances--Reinhard enacts his plan to deal with Yang by returning 2 million prisoners of war with as many spies as he could muster to setup a coup d'etat in the Free Planets Alliance. This is also done in order to give Reinhard time to deal with the emerging civil unrest and civil war brewing in Imperial Territory. There are of course tons of other story threads that have not been addressed but this was the core of this episode.

Knowing the fates of many characters makes their musings about their future all the more poignant. For example, knowing what lies ahead for Julian, when he asks "when will I hear what the admirals are talking about"? was sad in its own way.

Same quality production. Every once in a great while the CG in this show looks out of place but for the most part it is superb quality and hardly jarring. Every episode makes me more excited that Production I.G picked this franchise up.

Mod edit: Changed the format for the header.
DeadlyRavenOct 11, 2019 5:52 PM
Oct 11, 2019 4:27 AM
Jan 2018
It's a bit saddening to see that the second series of DNT isn't getting much attention.

Overall I thought this was a pretty decent build-up episode. The show keeps looking consistently better than last season, the production seems more polished. Perhaps more important is that the second season seems much more capable of handling the slower parts of the story: last season I felt that the action sequences were very engaging but everything else was kind of uninteresting. Now everything is much more balanced, it is not as intricate as the OVA with its plotting but it stays fairly close to the novel source material.

Overall I am quite hyped for the rest of the season and (hopefully) the adaptation of the rest of the books.
Oct 11, 2019 5:50 AM

Sep 2012
Huhu
You could really feel how intimidating Reinhard can be, during the Lynch scene.
Loving the remake.
Oct 11, 2019 6:26 AM

Sep 2014
I always love the visuals in space. They look so stunning but this is to be expected since this is a movie. The situation are slowly leading to the coup d'eat in the Alliance and the civil war for the Empire through Reinhard's cunning plan involving the prisoners exchange. I wish they didn't cut off Kircheis mentioning that under different circumstances he, Reinhard and Yang could end up as friends from the original show but I will assume this wasn't in the novels either. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this remake thus far.
Oct 11, 2019 6:43 AM

Nov 2016
Love the pacing, attention to detail, how large scale it is and that is more or less a fight between equals. Honestly among the most intriguing anime I've ever seen, makes me want to binge the OVA hard.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 11, 2019 9:28 AM

Dec 2015
I kinda forgot about this; does the OVA already revealed that Admiral Greenhill is one of the top officers instigating the coup? Iirc he's only revealed a bit later.

Anyway, best girl Hilda is still not here yet :(

Gorgeous visual as usual, especially the interior of Iserlohn fortress.

FMmatron said:
Love the pacing, attention to detail, how large scale it is and that is more or less a fight between equals. Honestly among the most intriguing anime I've ever seen, makes me want to binge the OVA hard.

Yes, you should. I started with DNT last year. Can't really wait for the continuation, binge watched it in the first half of this year. Even tho the animations and visuals overall not as impressive as DNT (made in 80's-90's anime vs 2010's lol), it's still great.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenOct 11, 2019 5:53 PM
Oct 11, 2019 10:40 AM

May 2018
I think MAL should change this from a movie to a series, cu'z it doesn't look like a movie at all when it has an ep 2 and 3.
Oct 11, 2019 10:59 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They made Kircheis a lot taller than Yang Wenli in this adaptation. Which is actually more in keeping with the novels.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 11, 2019 2:18 PM

Nov 2018
The visuals for this series as always is fantastic. They've made Iserlohn fortress into a spherical gem compared to the OVA series

We also get to see the meeting of Kircheis and Yang Wen-li which was nice, and the introduction of the Earthists

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 11, 2019 6:34 PM
Jun 2016
Amazing animations, amazing voice acting and the attention to details is on par with the original.

Honestly compared to the novel this episode was very faithful.
Oct 12, 2019 2:13 AM

Oct 2013
Pains me such a great character like Yang has to be in this mess 😓
Oct 12, 2019 4:42 AM

Dec 2015
While most of the previous stuff was adapted very close to the novels we sometimes had some minor changes. (When Schönkopf got introduced/recruited a lot more in the series than in the novel.)

Here in this episode again some changes. They were a bit faster paced and managed to adapt the full chapter 1 of volume 2 of the novels. Also first part of chapter 2.

When the empire contacted the alliance in the novel it was shown an alliance ship that encountered the imperial envoy. They only hinted at that while in the novel there was a bit talk of the ship's captain.

Also Yang and Julian played "3D chess" while here they were just talking (+ Cazerne with them) at the beginning before Frederica conctacted them. Attenborough was with the officers when Yang told them about the POW exchange. In the novel he wasn't mentioned. (And there was a lot of people that were there.)

Scene with Julian and Kircheis was added (and not there in the novel) I think - but it was fun. :D
(Also he seems to be almost as sexy as Schönkopf and the girls seem to like him ha ha.)

Also some minor changes on Heinessen. In the novel there were 2 meetings and Yang/Julian were sneaking out of paryt in the evening. And at the beginning after their return some road was blocked + some news about returning POW committing crimes. (Must have had some psychological effect being in prison for a logn time.)

Well ... not a big deal and important. I like the adaption. Don't remember the old OVA yet but I read the novels to compare this series/movies to them.

Big change though was that Julian in the novel had listened to Yang mentioning the coup - here he got send away.

Edit: @JuuzouXIII that wasn't even explained in the novel yet. Though I think he didn't meed with Greenhild there. Greenhill here wanting to talk to him might be a hint. (Maybe he wanted to recruit him.) Hilda should appear next episode then - with this pacing.
Oct 12, 2019 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
I think MAL should change this from a movie to a series, cu'z it doesn't look like a movie at all when it has an ep 2 and 3.

There will be three movies in Japanese theaters. Internationally each movie will be divided into four episodes, so there will be a total of 12 episodes. MAL will stick to the Japanese release when it comes to information. So it's probably gonna stay with type 'movie'.
Oct 19, 2019 9:27 AM

Oct 2008
I've always loved the scene with where Kircheis takes a moment to speak with Julian.

A brilliant plan by Reinhard to keep the Free Planets Alliance busy during the upcoming civil war, but of course Yang will figure somethings up and try to counter it.

Great episode!
Oct 20, 2019 9:57 PM

Aug 2017
Awesome episode... More conspiracy and spying to come... I don't mind the CGI.

Oct 21, 2019 7:27 PM

Jan 2011
This shits good had a big ol smile when Kircheis talked to Yang "if only you two weren't on different sides"

smart plan to screw up the alliance when a civil war is about to happen , can't even think to how you would event scan 2 million people and then suspect each one of starting a coup
Oct 27, 2019 5:41 AM

Jun 2017
As always, the visuals are stunning, especially in space, how I wish to travel using those spaceships. Anyway, looks like things are heating up for both the alliance and the empire, a coup for the alliance and a revolution for the empire.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Oct 27, 2019 4:49 PM

May 2017
That fortress planet looked way bigger than 60 km in diameter. I'm not sure if that was a translation error or if it was animated too big. Also, building a planet is an incredible endeavor, I would love to know how that was done.
Nov 9, 2019 9:45 AM

Jul 2012
A refreshing episode. I like seeing their life on the planets.

praseodimio65 said:
It's a bit saddening to see that the second series of DNT isn't getting much attention.
Prob because this isn't like a standard release unfortunately. I think people generally don't watch "OVA" or "Movie" type of anime.
Nov 30, 2019 3:11 AM

Dec 2013
More trouble for the alliance. Reinhard is ruthless with his plans!
Jan 6, 2021 1:44 AM

Jan 2009
damn i wonder why Yang let the plan of Reinhard push through or at least Yang should have gone with his temptation to make a coup detat strategy on the Galactic Empire too to make it even

Yang seems to be too passive/defensive while Reinhard is too active/offensive

Yang is the greater genius so far though
Jul 19, 2023 1:45 AM

Aug 2019
Kircheis is a giant, he’s taller than both Yang and Reinhard lol

Aww, Kurcheis is such a softy, Julian was so flustered haha. Of course, they both want to meet each other. Also, Yang looks really good with the white uniform.

Yang knew immediately what their plan was
Jul 19, 2023 7:01 AM

Nov 2013
"regal swagger"

I fucking hate funimation dubs so much.
You all need to watch Nami.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 1 Episode 4 Discussion

TheCommoner - Oct 17, 2019

27 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 2:08 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 1 Episode 2 Discussion

DeadlyRaven - Oct 11, 2019

21 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 1:18 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 1 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheCommoner - Sep 26, 2019

51 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 12:46 AM

» Why did MAL separate this into three parts again?

RossoYorozuya - Jul 17, 2023

3 by Alexioos95 »»
Jul 18, 2023 8:15 AM

» do i still need to watch the 80's version?

jonnn9 - Sep 4, 2022

4 by Br3dWinn3rs »»
Sep 5, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.