Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 30, 2014 6:50 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was...interesting. I really liked the psychological aspects of this episode!
Jul 27, 2014 6:18 PM

Jul 2014
Shinji getting his body back was really cheap. No proper explanation. I like how Misato & kaji are presented as realistic adults with sexual desires among others instead of your typical cardboard cutout couples
Sep 17, 2014 9:56 AM

Mar 2013
Trippy episode. Everytime Misato or anyone brings up the question, "What is an EVA?" they always beat around the bush. I mean, I sort of understand that they're the clones of Adam, but why is NERV investing so much time and money in EVA development? They're already using dummy plugs and after watching the last episode, it's potent.

By using the dummy plugs, it appears that it stimulates the awakening of the EVA. That's incredibly scary, especially when you know Ikari and the committee know what's going on.

Shinji is completely lost right now. From the episode, Shinji just can't figure out what's going on anymore. "Who is the real enemy? Why am I piloting this monster? Am I simply piloting this thing for praise like Asuka? What do I really want?"

I did like how Gendo wanted a girl named Rei. Yep, I'm starting to believe she was artificially made.

This is one mindfuck of an episode.

So much questions continue to rise as I finish each episode.
MojoMakoSep 17, 2014 10:03 AM
Nov 28, 2014 3:31 PM

Jul 2014
That psychological mind. Oh my.
Dec 5, 2014 12:10 AM

Sep 2014
When Misato was clutching Shinji's bodysuit saying "GIVE HIM BACK" she totally sounded like Sailor Moon right there XD. I cannot unsee Usagi in Misato..same VA, same bangs, and similar mannerisms at times. XD

Also...

Wtf, people saw fanservice? Really? This is fuckin NGE.
Dec 9, 2014 12:34 PM

Nov 2013
The end of that episode... uhm, okay. I've never been much of a fan of the whiz-bang imagery that constantly flashes across your screen so this episode wasn't high on my favourites so far. Still a good episode though aside from those parts.

That shot of their silhouettes with the giant green eye in the background was pretty haunting.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 12, 2014 12:10 PM

Aug 2013
I have a feeling that the entire reason this show can be so pretentious is because of the low budget...
Although going by this logic the NGE rebuild should be far better than the series... Which (as far as I've heard) doesn't seem to be the case.

But I really liked how they explored Shiji again. I'm going to need to think about this for a while... In all honesty it hasn't been that complicated insofar so just a bit of thinking should bring a good (personal) understanding. I want more Asuka... What's going on with her?
[/url]
Seven-Coloured Puppeteer.
Dec 16, 2014 11:36 PM

Oct 2013
Nudity isn't fanservice you stupid weebs

Anyway, this episode confirms my suspicion that this is a coming-of-age
Dec 26, 2014 11:23 PM

Apr 2014
I felt like I actually understood some shit this episode omfg. I thank IB English lmao.
For the most part, I always thought that both water and blood represented death, but I noticed that blood actually symbolizes a sense of being alive. That vision Shinji had that switched between blue (water) and red (blood) was really showing him trying to "come back to life". The whole concept of blood is quite evident in Evas as well. I find that really interesting, when Shinji talks about how it "smells like blood". Totally foreshadowing/foreshadowed that Evas were alive.

I can't speak for the Kaji/Misato scene, but the Misato/Asuka/Rei "harem scene" wasn't purely for fanservice. Sure, "becoming one" can be interepreted as a carnal/sexual desire, but I thought it was Shinji reflecting on his mother (and how he was "one" with her lmao). In the car scene with Misato and Ritsuko, the background radio says something like "you're looking for a mother you can sleep with in her". So essentially, Shinji thinking about these "ecchi" things is showing his longing for his mother or a mother figure. Their nudity was most likely linked to the picture of Shinji as a child feeding on his mother's milk- probably showing some dependency of Shinji on the idea of a mother. I guess this goes to say how emotionally/mentally fragile he is because of the lack of a mother.

I felt like I somewhat understood the whole Shinji talking to himself in the train thing too. Basically, the orange setting is similar to how Shinji/Eva pilots are submerged in the orange oil in the entry plugs. And the train... I guess represents how piloting Evas is the only thing Shinji does to find some meaning in living and "keep going" or whatnot. Yes, he did admit that he merely wanted to hear compliments from Gendo, but all that really comes down to piloting Evas.

...That ended up a lot longer than I thought lol
Jan 5, 2015 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
This got to be one of the best Evangelion episodes, atomospherically wise. That boner though.
Feb 14, 2015 9:00 AM
Dec 2013
weird episode seeing stills all the time was annoying
(especially during the sex part lol)
Feb 21, 2015 12:06 AM

Nov 2012
Shinji starts to break down and think back to his actions. I thought that was needed at some point. I was dying to learn more about him.
Apr 30, 2015 6:24 AM
Nov 2014
Episode gave me a seizure, damn naked bodies everywhere and flashing words everywhere.

Sex scene was also topkek. Slow episode overall, let's see where this will lead to.
May 24, 2015 5:00 PM

Aug 2014
That sure was a weird ep
May 31, 2015 8:56 AM

Jan 2013
MojoMako said:
Shinji is completely lost right now. From the episode, Shinji just can't figure out what's going on anymore. "Who is the real enemy? Why am I piloting this monster? Am I simply piloting this thing for praise like Asuka? What do I really want?"

I did like how Gendo wanted a girl named Rei. Yep, I'm starting to believe she was artificially made.

Shinji has been confused but even more now, completely true.
Regarding Rei, it would explain why she was in the tank filled with LCL some episodes back, and the comments she made about herself.

The trippy ride Shinji had was a bit over the top with all the flashes, people could get seizures from that.
I did however really like how it portrayed how confused he really is, how many questions he has, just how scared he is to get hurt and hurt others.

Final scene with Katsuragi was kinda boring, just a still scene with some noises in the background.
Jun 15, 2015 12:49 PM
Aug 2014
That ending really turned me on.
Jun 26, 2015 5:37 PM

Sep 2014
Nudity is on the Mind. ep 20.

Plot-Shinji evaporated into LCl and Nerv tries to get him back. Lots of questions go through his mind, about what he wants, what he's supposed to do, until he comes back.

Character-Introspection on Shinji as he delves into what makes his present and what he truly wants. Everyone talks fanservice from the 3-in-1 scene of Misato, Rei, and Asuka and while true, it's important to remember the words. To become one. Of one mind and body. To be safe. To be treated well. To know one has worth.

4/5. A slow ep and full of introspection. And we learn that SHinji wants a harem.

AarroninJul 9, 2015 5:31 PM

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 4, 2015 10:57 PM

Dec 2011
30 seconds of Misato sex sounds? I'm not complaining.
Jul 12, 2015 9:17 AM

Jan 2014
Shinji was reborn. His Eva gave birth to him :')
Jul 15, 2015 2:01 AM

May 2013
Unless I missed something, I don't know where people are getting fan service from. A nude character does not equal fan service.

That last minute, though... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 6, 2015 8:03 AM
Dec 2014
Metty said:
To much unneeded fan service. And they were doing the naughty.
Hardly unneeded fan service when its relevant to the story
Oct 28, 2015 6:39 AM

Mar 2015
MadRoosterr said:
Metty said:
To much unneeded fan service. And they were doing the naughty.
Hardly unneeded fan service when its relevant to the story

And hardly unneeded when this is part of what makes Neon Evangelion Genesis so interesting. Artistically, I'd argue that Evangelion is now more valuable than 99% of all other anime. It's smart in its usage of symbolism, and it's able to convey the struggles of coming of age in a very clever way.

Sure, cynics might say that episodes like these are the result of the studio having blown the budget on great visual effects in the first half of the series, but I think that was part of the plan. Use a good chunk of the budget on making the first part of the series look good in order to hook the viewers, then initiate a discussion on teenage sexuality, the desperate longing for fatherly approval and even paralells to Oedipus. I enjoy these episodes much more than the more generic action-filled ones.

Whining about fan service is misunderstanding this episode. In my eyes this is what makes Neon Evangelion Genesis a true post-modern work, and I really find it thought provoking this far.
Oct 31, 2015 11:40 PM

Jun 2013
^ Thank you. A lot of people seem to be missing the point of this episode. But hey, as long as they find it enjoyable, I guess?
Nov 5, 2015 12:06 AM

Apr 2014
The episode did an excellent job of portraying Shinji's mental state regarding what was essentially an acute existential crisis and his reasons for doing everything he's done and why things are the way they currently are.

I think the scene where Shinji saw the three girls asking him to join with them to form one mind and body was the Eva tempting him to give in so that it could absorb him. The Eva wants him, and him only. The will of Shinji's mother possibly exists in his Eva and she is beckoning for the son that she had been separated from for so long. It tempts him with his insecurities and desire for love and validation/care. It deals to him matters pertaining to the core of human essence, primal desires. I think this could imply that this will itself was acting on a primal desire of its own (love?).

Putting speculative ramblings that may or may not be completely off or nonsensical into spoiler tags to reduce clutter.

In any case, this episode was an interesting exploration into existentialism and the human mind.
ZeroDragonNov 5, 2015 1:02 AM
Nov 22, 2015 7:15 AM

Feb 2013
Well we got more trippy dream sequences from Shinji. Id honestly like to know what they all mean, all I'm getting out of them is hes really messed up due to basically losing both of his parents. And he also has no idea what his purpose is in life, so he just goes around trying to please everyone to feel hes worth something. Oh, and that Rei has some kind of big connection in all of this.

Also the Eva is really freakin creepy looking in its *evolved* form. Things got a face only a mother could love lol. Id like to know how they managed to subdue it though.

And again, Misato shows how much she cares about Shinji. I laughed when she slapped blondie again, can't say the bitch doesn't deserve it.

Though I will say the sex scene at the end was kind of awkward. I also still don't trust Kaji, I doubt hes the good guy in all this. I'm sure he has his own selfish reasons for doing what hes doing. I just hope nothing happens to Misato, shes the best character in this show.
Shape430Nov 22, 2015 7:23 AM
Nov 22, 2015 7:26 AM

Aug 2015
Shape430 said:
Well we got more trippy dream sequences from Shinji. Id honestly like to know what they all mean, all I'm getting out of them is hes really messed up due to basically losing both of his parents. And he also has no idea what his purpose is in life, so he just goes around trying to please everyone to feel hes worth something. Oh, and that Rei has some kind of big connection in all of this.

Also the Eva is really freakin creepy looking in its *evolved* form. Things got a face only a mother could love lol. Id like to know how they managed to subdue it though.

And again, Misato shows how much she cares about Shinji. I laughed when she slapped blondie again, can't say the bitch doesn't deserve it.

Dont forget to watch End of Evangelion right after the series!
Though I will say the sex scene at the end was kind of awkward. I also still don't trust Kaji, I doubt hes the good guy in all this. I'm sure he has his own selfish reasons for doing what hes doing. I just hope nothing happens to Misato, shes the best character in this show.
Nov 22, 2015 7:29 AM

Feb 2013
LowOfSolipsism said:
Dont forget to watch End of Evangelion right after the series!

Haha, I won't. Thanks :)
Dec 6, 2015 12:29 PM

Nov 2012
This must have been when Gainax started to run out of a budget due to the all the stillframes and stock footage.

Shinji's mom's soul spotted.

Misato and Kaji had sex (that awkward 1 min. of moaning).
Dec 7, 2015 12:21 AM

Oct 2012
I think we all know the major symbolism for this episode: sex/sexuality
Kind of weird how Shinji's mom was also prominent in this episode, alongside that symbolism.
Dec 8, 2015 12:57 PM

Mar 2012
You call this fan service? HA...trust me compared to modern anime ..this is nothing..

the symbolism in this was very mind boggling to say the least...

You have to admit this was just to save budget,,nearly nothing here was new..but the way they reused there frames ..to making it into some kind of compelling mind boggling series of symbolism about life,desires and to be human was done well...so i will give them credit to that.
Dec 23, 2015 2:29 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah this is the episode that starts adding more confusing and psychological stuffs in. All the main characters have different pasts but are all mentally broken, and Shinji feels a sympathy toward them, how the heck can Shinji get out of the robot i have no idea. I rolfed so hard at the last part, is it necessary to put all those love making sound Jesus.
Dec 31, 2015 7:35 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5 Psychological episode inside Shinji's mind. Fun stuff.

One of the best sex scenes in anime. They don't need to show it. We know what was going on there.

Just a heads-up for anyone watching this the first time:
WATCH THE DIRECTOR'S CUT OF THE NEXT 4 EPISODES, not the original TV version. They are so much better.
Jan 2, 2016 1:08 PM

Sep 2015
Fucking hell, I almost had a seizure watching this episode. All that flashing was really not needed.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 7, 2016 1:54 PM

Aug 2014
Confusing episode , Now I think its clear that there is some relation between the Eva-01 and Shinji's mother .
Apr 19, 2016 7:19 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
''oral stage''

hehe
hehehehhehe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 15, 2016 10:02 AM

Aug 2016
Was really nice to see deep into Shinji's mind.
Nov 1, 2016 11:13 AM

Jun 2016
I like the soliloquies in this series a lot. They're thought provoking and the soundtrack used in those scenes is awesome.
What was with Shinji's dreaming about Rei, Asuka and Misato all together anyway?
Ritzuka (I don't know how her name is spelled, the scientist woman) said, before she started working at Nerv, they tried to save another person and failed. Is it Shinji's mom? Did she become one with the Eva?

Whoa, that fanservice was a bit too much ^_^
Nov 5, 2016 11:10 PM

Dec 2015
@karineyn You're right:

By fanservice, you mean the nude figures of the female characters during Shinji's self interrogation? It wasn't as much fanservice as a part of his thoughts illustration.
Or the end scene? Because it was not directed in a distasteful way, there is nothing here for the pleasure of the "fan".
Rei_IIINov 5, 2016 11:17 PM
Nov 6, 2016 11:51 AM

Jun 2016
@Rei366 The latter, where Kaji and Misato make love. Yeah, we didn't see anything, but I watched it in English dub and Misato's voice sounded a bit weird. That's what I meant ^_^ otherwise, NGE was never annoying in terms of fan service.
Nov 17, 2016 2:59 PM

Aug 2014
I felt like I was on a huge acid trip while watching this episode xD

Hopefully Shinji becomes one in body and mind with Rei ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 4, 2017 6:42 AM

Feb 2013
What weird tippy mindfuck episode.

I find it very disturbing to see Shinji's plug suit empty.So he merges with Unit 01. That's scary. He also stayed merged with it for about a month.

I guess Misato really does care for Shinji. This isn't the first time she's cried for him to come back. I'm glad there's at least one person who cares for him. She also got it on with Kaji! Misato's moans~~~ A present? What is it exactly?

Shinji's mother sure sounds a lot like Rei. Also if Gendo and his wife had a girl they would've named her Rei... somehow I'm guessing they're connected in some way. Are Rei and Shinji siblings and Shinji doesn't know about it? Hmm.

Didn't really like the "fanservice" in this. It felt so out of place.

Not many episodes left. There are only 6 plus the End of Evangelion movie. Let's continue on...
Jan 5, 2017 1:18 AM

Dec 2015
@Nano1124 Yui "sounds a lot like Rei", do you mean their voices? (japanese by the way?).
Also, no mention of Yui, Naoko, the fact Ritsuko simply reuses a plan made for a prior "accident"?

Why is everyone considering the Ryôji/Misato scene sexual fan-service when it's done way more tactfully than in those Hollywood movies and actually contribute to the overall?

====
@HamburgerSpike He comes and goes during the 24th episode. This poster is strange, I didn't even have it as cover on my VHS and DVD boxes.

@Nishi_23 Ahah, what's confusing in the commentaries? (you probably got the scene right, it's not something complex)
Rei_IIIJul 30, 2017 9:02 AM
Jan 12, 2017 3:16 PM

Sep 2015
Im confused If I found a plot hole or some shyt. Last episode he was in his school clothes while piloting the eva but this episode he turns out to have been wearing his "pilot uniform" when he is absorbed/trapped in it which he later finally popped out of the eva naked while Misato was shredding tears over his pilot uniform(should've been his school clothes?). Lol the sex at the end was unexpecting(censored btw and we only heard not saw).
Jan 17, 2017 11:27 PM

Dec 2013
Everyone else already said most of what I had in mind so I'll make my own contribution.

Kaji didn't last very long...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 23, 2017 10:50 PM

Apr 2008
Hinata said:
Im confused If I found a plot hole or some shyt. Last episode he was in his school clothes while piloting the eva but this episode he turns out to have been wearing his "pilot uniform" when he is absorbed/trapped in it which he later finally popped out of the eva naked while Misato was shredding tears over his pilot uniform(should've been his school clothes?). Lol the sex at the end was unexpecting(censored btw and we only heard not saw).

There is a quick line of dialog that says that his consciousness or whatever is "forming" the pilot suit. He actually just liquefied.
PlateJan 23, 2017 10:57 PM
Jan 25, 2017 7:01 PM

Feb 2016
So NGE is battle harem after all...

This fast imagery was annoying as hell, almost got epilepsy.

The funny thing is there are only 6 episodes left and we still havent even seen the guy with the biggest face on the cover.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 13, 2017 2:24 AM
Mar 2016
What a weird Ep, thank god I came here because I was trying to see what the hell was going like I was focusing hard as to try and draw the story out of shinji being lost in the Eva...
I literally thought it was being all philosophical and shit, but nope wtf it was his harem that dirty ass mofo.

AND WTF MISATO AS IF SHE GAVE IN TO HIM SHE SHOULDVE KEPT BEING HARD TO GET! THE LUST IS REAL LADIES AND GENTLEMAN! But did we seriously need those long moaning noises and just hearing it all go down like fuck 0_o come on man just move on already... next Ep.
Jul 30, 2017 7:00 AM

Feb 2015
s_s

I feel like I'm getting what that scene with Shinji was all about, but when I read the comments here...

@Rei366 I'm not exactly a fast reader, and my thoughts quickly drift off. Combine that with the lightning fast subs and it's extremely hard to keep up.
Nishi_23Jul 30, 2017 9:08 AM
Jul 30, 2017 9:14 AM
Oct 2011
Nishi_23 said:
s_s

I feel like I'm getting what that scene with Shinji was all about, but when I read the comments here...

@Rei366 I'm not exactly a fast reader, and my thoughts quickly drift off. Combine that with the lightning fast subs and it's extremely hard to keep up.
Try pausing the video
Sep 16, 2017 3:46 PM

Nov 2016
The segment with Shinjis thoughts was very interesting again and showed how strong he's pressured by the desire to be liked and acknowledged by others. Dunno how I should interpret the nude scene of the females,tho.Maybe he wants to be desired in a sexuel way too ?xD

The moaning at the end was pretty hot ^^
FMmatronFeb 16, 2018 11:30 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.