Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2011 3:32 PM

Aug 2010
Keep watching things will get quite interesting/complicated soon
Jul 4, 2011 3:29 AM

Feb 2010
What exactly did Kaji mean when he said ''Misato's Melons(ahem boobs!!?)

Anyway a brutally eventful Mindfuck nonetheless.
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2011 11:19 AM

Dec 2010
This episode was the best to this moment, indeed. We finally saw character build up on Shinji and he finally did something on his own will. I really detest the way he got in the Eva too late - the cost might be Rei's life and maybe even Asuka's life. Not to mention all the people who where dependent on him. He was too naive to this point, let's see where his path will lead to.
Kaji was really cool and motivating this time...
MeritasAug 9, 2011 3:40 PM
Aug 22, 2011 3:58 PM

Apr 2011
Holy f*ck. I...don't know what else to say about this episode.

Except...What the hell is an Eva?
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Sep 2, 2011 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
So Evangelion rears it's disgusting, horrific head. Perfect. :D

I've lost track of how many times I've re-watched this series and I feel the same every time. It's a masterpiece.
Nov 19, 2011 4:53 AM

Jul 2009
Shinji is a woman. She just can't decide on what to do! Leave - return; leave - return... You saw him this ep right?

Ops - I meant "her" heheh :D

Shinji is NOT NORMAL BY ANY MEANS.

And LOLEVAMONKEYLOL!
Nov 24, 2011 9:50 PM

Mar 2010
WHAT. THE. FU*K. JUST. HAPPENED. Oh my god, that was INSANE! EVERYTHING about this episode was incredible! Shinji's big ''fc*k you guys'' scene, Asuka getting owned, Rei's suicide hero attempt, and Shinji is just a straight up BAMF! I think my favorite ''Gundam'' character has some new competition! Berserker, desperation, and insanity, AND mech's eating mech's = AMAZING SH*T! I haven't said this in many months, but, I cannot wait for the next episode!
Mar 27, 2012 12:08 AM
Jul 2018
Shit just got real
Apr 5, 2012 4:17 AM

Aug 2009
What the fuck, that was sick.
Jun 5, 2012 1:13 PM

Mar 2008
me while watching:

Jun 6, 2012 2:55 PM

Feb 2012
I really like how the angles are getting tougher each time; this last one was no joke. It took down all there Evas without too much trouble. Only Unit-1’s berserk mode saved the day.

I also disagree with the idea that Shinji is running away. There is a point where a person has to say enough is enough and I believe Shinji has done enough to be justified in making that call.
Jun 11, 2012 6:53 AM

Sep 2011
Phaetons_Folly said:

I also disagree with the idea that Shinji is running away. There is a point where a person has to say enough is enough and I believe Shinji has done enough to be justified in making that call.

Finally, someone who actually recognizes that Shinji isn't just being "weak" or "whiny". A 14-year old boy who had his father abandon him during the time of his mother's death, has an introverted personality, practically forced into defending everyone with the pressure of knowing that humanity's fate is in his hands, shoved into awkward situations of social interactions and sexual tensions, and finally,

So people say Shinji is weak and whiny? No, he's acting normal for someone in his position. For someone like him to charge up and destroy Zeruel (the angel in the episode) like that it actually takes some serious balls. Also the excuse of saying that it was all just Unit-01 who did the work is complete BS because...
ronriJun 11, 2012 6:59 AM
Jul 9, 2012 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
i really recoiled at the scene where eva sprouted a human arm and was eating the angel. oh my :x i think this ep really takes it to the next level

and shinji's running away part II. i don't disagree with his decision, especially after seeing your friend torn apart in front of your eyes. there's a lot of barriers to surmount for him - guilt, cruelty in front of his eyes and all but i'm glad he chose to return.
Aug 1, 2012 2:14 PM
Feb 2010
Aug 17, 2012 7:59 PM

Feb 2009
What...

What does one say after watching that

Jesus fucking christ. I have to say, I wasn't sold on this series during the first half, but I think I'm starting to see why it is called a masterpiece.
Sep 12, 2012 11:48 PM
Aug 2012
oh boi...............
Nov 15, 2012 12:23 PM

Aug 2011
Holy freaking shit, was that great or what?

Shinji has now become one of my favorite characters for what he did in the beginning of this episode. Well, actually, he was pretty fucking awesome in the entirety of the episode.
Tiago97Nov 15, 2012 12:29 PM
Dec 6, 2012 6:39 PM

Oct 2010
Quite an ironic ending for Zeruel, who utterly dominated Nerv's defenses and the EVA's then finds itself on the other side of the yard when EVA 01 finally awakens.
Dec 10, 2012 8:18 AM

May 2012
Well that's a different way to kill an angel O_O well I was aware that those eve's had some biologic part to it but to be a hybrid from the angels them self... damn really weird but great episode but if I'm right there's only 1 eve operational now and that eve is run loose?

I still wonder how it could even operate without power even if their sync rate is 400% it shouldn't be possible, should it?
Dec 15, 2012 5:34 PM

Aug 2012
When Ritsuko referred to the Eva as a she, I couldn't help but realize that "Eva" is extremely similar to "Eve".

Allusion to the story of Adam and Eve, probably? Then again, probably not.

And also my jaw dropped when I saw the Angel close up its core and Rei blew up.

5/5
Jan 8, 2013 4:43 AM

Sep 2008
The start: "You made me almost kill a guy, that makes me mad, better destroy half of the building and kill dozens".

Hah, what shinji said at start of the anime was right.

Fucking coward, scoundrel, etc etc
Jan 10, 2013 10:41 PM

Apr 2012
That was an intense episode. I have always liked the moments when the Eva went berserk and this was the craziest instance of that yet with it running around on all fours and then eating the Angel.

Apparently Angels are quite high in calories considering how quickly the Eva put on the pounds and couldn't fit in its bindings anymore.
Feb 6, 2013 8:59 PM

May 2012
DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN SON!
This really is one of the greats, like i can't even.....what?!
Feb 18, 2013 2:35 PM

Oct 2012
What did I just...
What was...why..
-_-

Good times. This series is good times.
Feb 25, 2013 7:20 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing. 5/5
Mar 17, 2013 1:48 PM
Apr 2012
It seems the only thing that might be able to control that thing now will be Shinji from now on. Great episode.
Mar 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Oct 2011
Morani90 said:
It seems the only thing that might be able to control that thing now will be Shinji from now on. Great episode.

Way more gruesome and realistic than the scene in the Rebuilds if you ask me. When Eva-01 starts munching on Zeruel and you see the eyes glowing all animalistic, good God. Gives me chills.
Apr 20, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2011
Jesus Christ... I guess Shinji will finally man up. Not that I hate him because of his attitude since I understand what he feels.

May 6, 2013 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
Now real show starts from here.

Thoughts from Episode 19

I knew that Shinji wouldn't give up piloting EVA and Unit 01. Of course everyone probably do same in that situation you just noticed that you hurt your closest friend with something. I wouldn't never pilot EVA again. But if it's world vs My hatred I would have to choose world too because all in all in hatred you're not winner. And what reason is there to live for if everyone is destroyed.

Kaiji's soeak was so manly and he really is mysterious at somepoint but I think he is working with SEELE that final quate just proved that. So Ikari's plan was whole time to use Shinji and have him awakened his true EVA powers and he wanted to see Shinji's anger and see his friend hurts. I hate Ikari he doesn't have any pride on him.

That Angel Zeruel thanks I never noticed his name :DD has some cool powers like hands that stretches very long and has some kind of spike in there. I didn't saw angel so well but yeah.

Finally we know what plot is about like Kaji said Angels want to connect with ADAM and this is probably the First or Fourteenth Angel they've been talking about. And Evangelions need to stop that from happening or else results are "Third Impact" thanks Kaji you're the man. :DD

So I had thought that school has gathered every 14-year old kid that was choice for piloting Unit 03. And it was just error why Toji got to pilot it. At least Misato said something like that.

Now if Ikari also wants ADAM and use it for own purposes what are those and hopefully we can see him revealing those purposes. But now it goes interesting does Seele and NERV wanna have same thing control of ADAM and dummy plug. And built and make EVA army with it. just a guess...

This really was intense episode. More gory is probably on the way. Can't believe what happened to Asuka and Rei hope they are OK? That's what you get Asuka showing your skills and speaking like your No.1.

Best parts: Shinji made up his mind. Kaji's words and Misato taking whole Shinji quitting piloting EVA with peacefully.
MixxuMay 6, 2013 2:58 PM
May 20, 2013 9:54 PM
Jul 2018

Evas are scary. >______<
I can't bear to watch Unit 01 eating the angel. Damn.
May 30, 2013 9:23 PM

May 2013
yo.. what the hell????
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
Jun 16, 2013 7:37 PM

Jan 2012
I really love this episode. WHAT THE FUCK??!?!?!?!
I don't have any words to say now D:

Sakoju!
Jun 19, 2013 6:10 PM
May 2013
I like and hate Shinji,

I like him because he's a great pilot.

I hate him because a great pilot can't just leave and let other pilots and world be destroyed by angels especially when the next angel is stronger than previous.

Shinji from the first half didn't realize that protecting the world and the one he loves is more important than his feelings .
Jun 29, 2013 9:38 AM

Dec 2012
Zarnaav said:
I like and hate Shinji,

I hate him because a great pilot can't just leave and let other pilots and world be destroyed by angels especially when the next angel is stronger than previous.

Shinji from the first half didn't realize that protecting the world and the one he loves is more important than his feelings .

He probably didn't realise that the next angel was going to be this strong either, and that even Asuka could be knocked out almost immediately, I bet.

His lack of confidence has always been one of the key issues affecting him, and even when he found confidence by ranking ahead of Asuka in the sync test, he only had to get his confidence taken again by making a mistake that almost cost him his life. He probably felt that he is worthless, coupled with the fact that he almost killed his own friend, which made him run away. It is kinda annoying, I admit - but once I stopped and thought about it instead of going along with my emotions, I could somewhat empathize with him.

I admit that I wished he had IMMEDIATELY run back instead of stopping and thinking though! But his actions are totally understandable.
Jul 5, 2013 12:14 AM

Dec 2012
ClawViper7 said:
Zarnaav said:
I like and hate Shinji,

That's what makes Shinji such a great character, his realistic personality.
He probably didn't realise that the next angel was going to be this strong either, and that even Asuka could be knocked out almost immediately, I bet.

His lack of confidence has always been one of the key issues affecting him, and even when he found confidence by ranking ahead of Asuka in the sync test, he only had to get his confidence taken again by making a mistake that almost cost him his life. He probably felt that he is worthless, coupled with the fact that he almost killed his own friend, which made him run away. It is kinda annoying, I admit - but once I stopped and thought about it instead of going along with my emotions, I could somewhat empathize with him.

I admit that I wished he had IMMEDIATELY run back instead of stopping and thinking though! But his actions are totally understandable.
Jul 24, 2013 4:52 AM

Jun 2013
Loved it. Shinji, god damn it.
Aug 9, 2013 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
WOW I'm schocked wtf was that? O.o
This is the best episode to this moment...
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 11, 2013 1:16 PM

Jul 2013
OMG this episode was EPIC!

Shinji quit yet again but ended up going back again and then his Eva went crazy and ate the angel and broke free! OH MY GOD!

Unit 1 is crazy but I love it lol!

I hope Rei is still ok! and Asuka.

I think Shinji is a great character, in the end he always bucks up and does what he has to do and he's sweet.
Aug 28, 2013 5:02 AM

Mar 2013
Unbelievable. Amazing episode so powerful i just watched with my jaw dropped literally for the second half of the ep, this is amazing, one of the best things i have ever seen in anime , period.
Sep 2, 2013 5:01 AM

Jul 2010
Watching EVA-01 eat an angel while eating lunch is lovely. Just lovely.
Sep 11, 2013 6:20 AM

Sep 2011
Now THAT my friends, was the best episode. (as of right now)
Sep 20, 2013 3:10 PM

Feb 2013
2 people disliked it???
best episode yet
Oct 14, 2013 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
Goddamn...
That is some intense shit right there...
Eva 01 eating that angel was disturbing as hell. Love it.
Nov 10, 2013 10:31 PM

Jan 2013
Can we take a second to talk about how badass Shinji was when he threatened to destroy HQ?

"I have 185 seconds, I can destroy half the HQ."

I love Shinji
Nov 13, 2013 8:43 AM
Mar 2008
ibrahim2712 said:
Can we take a second to talk about how badass Shinji was when he threatened to destroy HQ?

"I have 185 seconds, I can destroy half the HQ."

OK...as much as I LOATHE Shinji Ikari, that was rather badass. Credit is due where credit is due.

As for the episode as a whole, this was the last good/great episode for this series in my opinion. It hit the marks on drama and action without over-compensating. Of course, the finale helps its cause. It's a shame...due to how horrifying Unit-01's roar is (Especially when one considers that it's Megumi Hayashibara behind that voice...), I can never watch it from start to finish.
Dec 17, 2013 8:26 AM

Dec 2012
Shit.... just got mad real. Here's to hoping the rest of the show can keep up this level of intensity.
Dec 23, 2013 4:41 PM

Aug 2007
I was guessing for a while that the Eva weren't just some giant robots and that Shinji's dad might have intended for this to happen from the start...

In all honestly, even though Shinji *has* a technical choice to pilot or not pilot the Eva, he would have to have zero compassion to leave and watch everything be destroyed when he could have prevented it.

Dec 26, 2013 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
I think Shinji's dad knew this would happen too but how could he know! It just seems so impossible. So the Eva's are really angels that he was controlling. That is what I think.

I think Shinji was doing the right thing in leaving because who would want to see your friend getting killed by your own robot? I would have done the same as him. Unfortunately for him though is that no matter how hard he tries, he's not in control of his actions and his father, Nerv and the Eva's seem to keep pulling him back.
Jan 4, 2014 8:15 AM

Jul 2013
Bijuu has awakened!!
Oww sory wrong thread -winking- :)
Jan 15, 2014 9:08 PM
Oct 2011
I have to wonder what the hell gendo was thinking asking wh Shinji came back when at that point he was LITERALLY the last hope for mankind. If I was in his position I would just let him in before the apocalypse happened.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.