Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Feb 22, 2021 11:19 PM
Jul 2017
this episode's really fucked up. tohji as unit-03 pilot is too predictable at first, but it still surprised me when it shows tohji is the pilot. also shinji back piloting eva is predictable too, but somehow they make the storyline good. so even i already know what happens next, it's still interesting.

damn this is my new favorite episode alongside with episode 9.
Mar 10, 2021 7:37 AM

Mar 2010
Mandatory fuck Gendou comment here.
Mar 11, 2021 10:09 AM

Jul 2020
Commander Ikari got the smarts huh. I think (and it might be obvious) that Shinji's mother assisted him.
Mar 15, 2021 8:23 PM

Feb 2020
Insane episode. I'm glad Touji is alright.
Mar 16, 2021 4:28 AM

Dec 2015
metropyramid said:

Alive, sure. But "alright"?

@metropyramid Ahah, I see. (Sorry for misunderstanding your sentence. In France, it would mean that he escaped the incident without severe damages.)
Rei_IIIMar 17, 2021 3:41 AM
Mar 16, 2021 5:56 AM

Feb 2020
Rei_III said:
metropyramid said:

Alive, sure. But "alright"?

I meant "alright" as in "alive".
metropyramidMar 16, 2021 11:34 AM
Mar 29, 2021 2:03 AM

Jun 2020
And it continues

I think I saw a glimpse of why people might not like Shinji in this ep even tho I do

Was Gendo planning to pilot the Eva himself before Shinji showed up?

And where were Rei and Asuka during Shinji's whole fight?

I guess the angels' goal the whole time is to make contact with Adam
Apr 28, 2021 7:33 PM

Jun 2016
So this is the episode they were saving the animation budget for. An understandable choice, but it also rendered most of the past two episodes pointless, so why not condense those if that was a problem? Oh well, at least it's not so easy to predict where this is going next.
May 11, 2021 11:40 AM

Apr 2021
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Okay, quick recap:

-Shinji experiences mental trauma after being forced to destroy Unit-03 and threatens to destroy NERV HQ

-He gets booted out

-A minor inconvenience (Appearance of Zeruel) occurs, but Shinji kinda.. ignores it?

-EVAs 00 and 02 are sent to confront Zeruel, but receive severe injury

-Unit-02's decapitated head lands in an evacuation shelter, presumably killing a room full of people

-This causes Shinji to experience more mental trauma, leading him to get back in the fucking robot

-Unit-01 then proceeds to kill and eat Zeruel, becoming Actually Literally Fucking God™

-The End

That's.. quite a lot to happen in a single episode.

5/5
May 18, 2021 11:30 PM

Oct 2020
Crazy episode. I knew this show was crazy and its apparently really good from what I heard but this episode just made it 100x better. I did think that maybe Angel's were inside of the Evas and boy I was right. . .
Jun 5, 2021 8:06 PM

Jul 2019
Lol this episode was disturbing
Jun 10, 2021 9:58 PM

Apr 2020
Ritsuko is using the pronoun "she", so Eva is female.

So I'm guessing she's the mother of the Angels. Plus, "Eva" is theoretically similar to "Eve", the first woman on Earth
Jun 28, 2021 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
I read that the later episodes lacked significant action due to budgeting, but there was some pretty nice action and animation in this episode.

The episodes are getting better and better. And darker.
Jul 25, 2021 9:54 PM
Jul 2021
I realize now how awesome this show really is.

Shinji is sacrificing his own self and his own happiness to save humanity. Despite him being a child, he is a hero for sure. Fuck his dad.

Unit 01 going berserk is amazing, and I like how it's because of Shinji. He's basically OP now.
Aug 11, 2021 4:17 PM

Jan 2021
I know that the berserk mode is cool and all and naw we know that the Evangelion was being restrained so that they could control it but imagine if Shinji could control all of that he would be op this is so cool but I didn’t like how this is somehow apart of Ikari’s plan

Sep 1, 2021 9:37 PM

Aug 2015
The show is getting quite serious now , hopefully Rei isn't dead. The mysteries are slowly getting unravelled. I am quite exicted for the last couple of episodes.
Nov 15, 2021 6:42 AM

Aug 2020
Despite being a misogynistic pig, Kaji is the real one here.

So that thing just grew an arm (that looks like human) and walks like an animal. Well, what an interesting episode. Glad to see that this show is picking up and getting serious.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 26, 2021 10:22 AM
Nov 2020
Eva-01’s teeth are so weird, like I know they’re basically just giant humans but I didn’t need to see that, the scream too its so scary.
Dec 8, 2021 1:30 AM
May 2020
BRO THIS IS TOO MUCH
Dec 16, 2021 5:05 PM

May 2019
Well, we now know Shinji grew a backbone.

This is so intense.
Jan 2, 2022 2:55 AM

Jun 2021
I got only one thing to say brooo this epi is the craziest episode I ve seen my jaw literally dropped after activating the true form that was a real banger

🌸 DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU REACH YOUR GOAL

🌸 SET BY - TheDeadmanII
Jan 3, 2022 8:23 AM

Jul 2021
This episode was very interesting, I thought it would again be one of those episodes where Shinji would only do drama but luckily I was wrong.
I'm curious to know what really happened.
asdasdsadad
Jan 13, 2022 2:27 PM

Jan 2016
My boy Shinji "quitting" when I know he's gonna be back again.

after watching ep: Yep he piloted it and it went berserk.
Jan 31, 2022 5:11 AM

Jan 2021
I think I understand why people find Shinji annoying now.

And holy shit, berserk Eva is nuts!!!!
Feb 9, 2022 8:31 AM

Feb 2021
Holy shit. What an episode. Shit's getting serious. Eva-02's head got cut off by that angel. What kinda pain did Asuka go through. Same with Rei.

Holy moly what's up with Eva-01?? It's definitely an Angel in disguise. The way it walked on all fours and feasted on that angel was just gruesome. It was like some beast.

Looks like everything is still going according to Gendo's big plan.

Apr 8, 2022 9:21 PM

Dec 2021
really like the reference of the evangelions in their world to nukes in ours, both absurdly strong powers that cannot be in humanity's hands and also a bit more

kaji and shinji have great interactions, kaji top 3 fav eva character tbh

i'll never understand why ppl hate shinji for running away when its reasonable and the same ppl who shit on him would also run away 💀💀💀
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 20, 2022 1:06 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 22, 2022 10:19 PM

Oct 2020
WOWZA we're definitely at the high point

I guess we now have formal confirmation that the Evas are living creatures (more specifically Angels) inside of a husk made to look like a robot...

It was clear since the beginning that the Evas had some type of living component to them as seen when they'd go into that 'berserk' mode and ignore all instructions -- not to mention they emit red fluid from their injuries like blood..

Anywho, pretty intense battle scenes with Asuka getting wrecked and Rei blowing herself up in a last-ditch effort. I know lots of folks look down on Shinji for quitting and leaving Rei and Asuka to deal with the Angel, but it's not like he knew an Angel like this was coming. Plus, at this point, he's been put through so much trauma by Nerv and his father that I didn't blame him for wanting to leave.
I mean, it only made it all the more tragic when he did decide to come back, only to then have his Eva go ultra-berserk and unleash its inner demon-- er I mean Angel
tiaamyomMay 22, 2022 10:23 PM
Jul 3, 2022 5:55 AM

Dec 2007
conclusion: don't eat lunch watching this episode. lol

so i was right, the eva's are kind of human made angel.
it makes sense for the eva to be only strong enough to fight the angel this way.

it seems that shinji's eva "soul" is his mother?
damn, i'm not gonna forgive his father easily. really dunno who's the real monster now.
Aug 11, 2022 3:41 AM
Aug 2022
poooo0ooooooooooooo0
Aug 26, 2022 6:43 PM
Mar 2021
That's not how you write things lol.
Sep 26, 2022 2:47 AM
Nov 2018
Holy shit this episode was fucking awesome
Sep 29, 2022 2:11 PM
Aug 2022
wow that fight scene between eva 01 and the angel was something else! seeing that human hand from the eva was disturbing to say the least. and also, i noticed that red core in the eva that the angels usually have. i think my theory of the evas being somewhat made from angels holds up pretty well.
Oct 24, 2022 11:57 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The geo front is on the brink of utter annihilation, and here's Mr. Kaji just casually watering his plants. Man has his priorities straight; Katsuragi's watermelon's second, his real watermelons first.

This was the best and most unrelenting angel so far. All the ones before were scary enough in their own right, but this one literally just walks over everyone and everything and waltzes straight into HQ and even faces down everyone in command. It allows for the eva unleashing itself upon it all the more impactful.

Unit 01 has already gone berserk a few times before, but now has it truly awakened? I mean this time it went as far as to EAT the opposing angel, and even to use part of it to regenerate its own arm. The plot's been developing quickly as of recent episodes, I love it

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 3, 2022 7:14 PM
Feb 2017
I dont even know what I was expecting but I was blown away
Nov 15, 2022 10:57 AM

Aug 2022
Wow... the fight between Eva 01 and the Angel was amazing. Also the ending was fucking great...
Nov 22, 2022 4:57 PM
Jan 2020
Loved this episode, watching Shinji finally come out of his shell was really awesome to see!
Nov 26, 2022 9:00 AM

Aug 2020
WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING
Nov 27, 2022 9:08 AM
Apr 2022
now its getting interesting
Nov 29, 2022 11:33 AM
Nov 2022
grgrgerdgr said:
poooo0ooooooooooooo0

You’re very intelligent from what I see in this comment.
Dec 16, 2022 10:31 AM
Oct 2022
Eva unit 0 eating an angel. plot development. Getting serious
Dec 21, 2022 11:46 AM
Sep 2022
holy shit the amount of gore has escalated 0-100 in a flash
Jan 1, 2023 1:39 AM

Jan 2022
The noises Unit 1 makes as it consumes the angle always send shivers down my spine. I wonder how many innocent civilians have died due to the time Shinji wastes by constantly refusing to get in the Eva. At least he came back of his own free will tho.

Mr. Kaji is the dad we all wish we had/could be.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 11:46 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 27, 2023 3:49 PM

Dec 2010
Man, this was such a great episode. Kaji is being the MVP of the cast in a way. EVA-01 refusing to activate. Shinji giving Zeruel a kick after losing an arm. EVA-01 blocking Zeruel's attack with just its hand.

How did Touji get inside Shinji's dream?

Asuka is probably going to go crazy after taking an L this bad.

What was that about no innocent bystanders becoming victims to Angels?
Feb 5, 2023 11:52 PM

Mar 2016
Shinji's journey this episode was pretty much perfectly done. So easy to have ended up as a cop out, but wasn't. He'd finally snapped. He wasn't to going to let the dummy plug incident go away, and was impressively resistent; just wish that he'd been able to resist a bit further or even start to reak havoc. If only to get Ikari to twitch just the tiniest amount.
Loved the assertive responses to not piloting and leaving. And also that he'd finally cracked in a different way. Doing things his way and putting up the fight he wanted.
Can't believe how effortlessly Rei asked Shinji if he was trying to understand his father instead of running. Girl, he let that berserk mode crush a fellow pillot instead of forcing shutdown once the EVA/angel had been subdued! What's there to understand other than he is messed up in the head?!

Rather insane how just one angel times it's arrival so perfectly that NERV is almost finished. Going to have quite the fear of papercuts for a while after this :P And while Asuka was annoying with her focus on Shinji rather than focusing on herself...AGAIN, it was rahter unfortunate that she didn't get to at least put up a decent chance of a fight against the angel. Even after both arms severed with neural links, she still charged in. Commendable, but the power of that angel needed showing.

The Kaji talk was just the thing needed to avoid Shinji going back to pilot as a cop out. He was finally given a proper sincere talking to about the situation. Not coddled, and not cold heartless 'you need to do this'. Just an honest talk that made him feel he had a choice. Wondering if Shinji's rebellion had managed to imprint on the EVA unit itself. It straight up rejected Rei; she was clearly aware of something with that "this isn't going to work anymore", and even refused the dummy plug. While he absolutely didn't break his cool, you could see Ikari was starting to be on the ropes for once. Tried to act stern when Shinji returned but didn't overly pester his previous decision to leave. He KNEW Shinji was his only hope and boy did Shinji go to town on that angel - just wish he'd shown that combat prowess in the previous episode to potentially save Touji without him nearly dying.

The final reveal though with EVA-01. It was clear from the first fight that it was some sort of angel, I'd gathered that the armour was in fact a restraining unit and the timed power usage was to lock it down rather than let it run free. But even then...the extent of how 'non-mecha' the Evangelions are was still surprising. Complete with an angel core in the chest, able to assimilate the part of another angel to regenerate...that was a fucking HUMAN arm! O_O Teeth turned white, organic eyes showing through the helmet and acting very ape-like.
While unlikely to admit this wasn't exactly HOW he'd planned it, Ikari was clearly anticipating EVA-01 'awakening' at some point. The issue now is that with Shinji (or at least the entry plug) being absorbed into the organic body of the Awakened EVA, they can't control it in the same way as before. Guess Ikari and the Deputy are going to be making some very swift moves after this. No hiding the truth from everyone now.
Feb 14, 2023 12:00 PM
Mar 2019
Chills when Shinji declared that he was the pilot of EVA-01.
Feb 21, 2023 4:59 PM
Jul 2022
i just think is s funny and convinient for everyone that, like, 10 minutes after this dude gave up, an angel showed up that not even perfect rei could beat it. I mean, how could humanity survive before Shinji existed? Loved that Kaji (major trigger for my daddy issues, but soooo hot) showed up in this episode. Good plot points, curious to see some answers. And, per last, i have this theory that Shinji suffers from Bella's (from twilight) character syndrome. This dude has nothing especial about him, has no real personality beside his daddy issues, but, man, he is the center of everyone's universe and the only one that can save the entire earth. Why rei so special if Shinji exists then?
Mar 1, 2023 7:55 PM

Jul 2017
what a crazy episode, what stood out most to me is the scene where Shinji was holding on for dear life inside of that Eva, it was so sad and heartbreaking, he's truly one of the strongest humans on this anime
Mar 4, 2023 12:53 PM
Oct 2020
brooooo what the fuck
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.