Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 15, 2016 9:35 AM

Aug 2016
Woah since the recap episode, every episode was amazing i'm starting to really love this anime.
Nov 1, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2016
"If I die, I can be replaced." Rei, you sure are an interesting
Character.

Wow, what happened to Shinji? :/ I never saw him this assertiveamd sure of his actions.

I wish I hadn't been eating anything while watching this episode, it kinda made me sick watching Eva01 eating the Angel.
Nov 17, 2016 2:18 PM

Aug 2014
The scene with Kaji just was so surreal. Like you're telling he's out chilling, watering some plants while all of this crazy shit is going down? lol

Great episode though.
Jan 3, 2017 11:20 PM

Feb 2013
What a fucking episode.

Touji seems to have lost a arm(?) and a leg. That sucks. Better than being dead I guess. Also we find out all of Shinji's classmates have the potential to pilot an Eva.

Asuka gets fucked. Unit 02 loses both its arms and then it's head! Asuka seems to be fine I think.

Then it's Rei's turn and she tries to sacrifice herself. She tries to blow herself up to no avail.

"Even if I die, there are substitutes."

What? What do you actually mean Rei? Substitutes!?

I kinda knew Evas were of Angel origin but I never made the connection that they would have a core! Also that's not armor! There're binders that suppress the Angel's innate power! That's fucking cool! Really fucking cool. Which makes me wonder how Evas are built.

Unit 01 eating that other angel was scary. The look on everyone's face. Wow.

What's gonna happen to Shinji? I don't know how they're gonna get him out. With the base heavily damaged too and two units out of commission.

Fantastic episode.
Jan 12, 2017 2:42 PM

Sep 2015
Dam looks like a chaotic rampage is gonna happen with Eva Unit 01
Jan 30, 2017 3:05 PM
Mar 2016
This show continues to get better and better. Like, I have school work I need to do but Neon Genesis exists....
Mar 29, 2017 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
Commander Ikari actually showed a little emotion for once when Rei sacrificed herself, I didn't realize that she was some sort of replaceable replica generic pilot, until this thread. Makes sense after all of her weird scenes depicting her thoughts, and at one point showed a whole line of her. I just thought it was trippy art. Interesting.

How did I miss Kaji's sneaking around getting exposed? I loved that he was just chillin, watering his melons. hahaha

Seems like we were all in shock at the eva awakening and acting monkey-like hahaha

I wonder what Commander Ikari has planned and what he has up his sleeve...
Apr 19, 2017 4:25 PM
Sep 2016
Shinji already left the NERV twice and he is still piloting eva xD
Aug 17, 2017 5:36 PM

Jul 2009
I applauded when Shinji said he wasn't gonna pilot again.

and I applauded when he told Misato "What for? get rid of them, i'm not piloting again"

Good. stand your ground kid. These ppl been walking all over you. Pilot cuz you want to! Pilot because you now truly realize you're all they have. They should bow before you!!!
Sep 16, 2017 2:56 PM

Nov 2016
One really good episode after the other^^ well it definitely picked up since the second half has begun.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 19, 2017 7:12 AM

Jan 2016
The Eva in this episode reminded me of the titans in shingeki no kyojin
Oct 7, 2017 12:00 PM

May 2016
I was breathtaking I couldn't even think about it It was like I was in there myself
These episodes deserve more than 10/5
Nov 19, 2017 1:59 PM

Jul 2013
Holy sh** that was insane! O.O
Dec 11, 2017 3:44 PM
Oct 2017
man did my opinion on this show take a total 180 or what.. was bored only a few episodes ago and now i can't stop watching

who would have thought that giant robots could be rather terrifying.. or well, it's not a robot at all im pretty certain
Jan 8, 2018 12:29 PM
Jul 2017
Another intense episode... eva unit 01 goes berserk!

I hope rei is okay :/
Jan 26, 2018 5:38 PM

Apr 2015
Oh shit. Unit 01 is alive! And it's hungry.

Does trapping an Angel inside such tight restraints violate animal cruelty laws? And what is Shinji thinking inside that thing, it suddenly becoming sentient?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 29, 2018 9:11 AM

Dec 2015
@CatSoul Don't you think it was already sentient when it tried to protect Shinji in the very first episode? (and on several later occasions)

May17th, 2019
2ego said:
400% synchronization...hopefully it doesn't go berserk.

Wait, it DID turn berserk this episode. We even get the usual "uterin" bluish light picture.
@2ego I see. (In Evangelion, they call "berserk" any time the "EVA" / its "soul" takes over, like in ep.1 or during the shadow's freeing, etc)

June 4, 2019
tuanguyen said:

Now I want to know why the pilot must be a 14-year-old person.
Now we can finally confirm that the EVA must have a soul or something. Can't wait to see how all of these stuff be explained.

The reason for the pilots choice is the fact the EVA have each a particular soul.

March 31, 2020
@NostalgiaDrive94 Didn't you get the Gehirn/NERV history episode? You can see old EVA failed prototypes in it. Moreover, the actual nature of the EVAs is hinted at since the flashback of the first battle (Unknown Ceilings) and the burned hand of the 2nd fight.
The Unit-01 has awoken, the "fluo plastic looking" parts are not really an protective armor but rather, like Ritsuko said, something made to contain and conceal EVA's body. I'll let you connect the dots (it's part of the fun, isn't it? ;) ), since most needed informations were either given throughpictures, dialogues or action or even direction and you seemed to be receptive enough earlier. ^^

Sorry for the disturbance.
Rei_IIIMar 31, 2020 10:28 AM
Feb 18, 2018 2:09 PM

Mar 2016
HOLY SHIT!!! Let me just say this episode is EPIC!!! Not just because of the Brutal and intense destruction to both the advanced Tokyo 3 city + fortress and to the other EVAs but also the change in Shinji's attitude too! He seems to be more matured.

Asuka and Rei almost died, so did Shinji but he has awakened 'her'... And with a 400% sync ratio, it's no surprise that he's fused with the awakened EVA.

I believe that there will be a plot changing revelation about EVAs and stuff later! Such an amazing change to the plot!
Mar 8, 2018 6:18 AM

Sep 2017
The new angel is actually like Kiriha from Tsugumomo. Good Angel.

Rei proves time and time again that she is best girl. Seriously, I never thought she would be the heroic one. And, I am calling it. Rei is the one true hero of Neon Genesis Evangelion, not Shinji.

I hate Shinji even more. At least he realized now that EVA is not a choice, but a responsibility. At least Rei appeared in his dreams to make him realize that.

And, I am never gonna like Shinji again. This episode made me hate Shinji as much as I hate Asuka.

And I knew that EVA was Shinji's mom. It is no spoiler now. And, the EVA has some abilities now.

Wait. I had a f**king revelation just now.

If Adam was the first angel, doesn't that mean Eva(Unit 01) is the second angel? EVA? EVE "ANGEL" ION?
Get it?

But then again, I may not be the first to get it. I may be dense as Rei after all.
I know Eve comes after Adam, but its name must have been changed so that no one is the wiser.(Naming your mecha after the second angel directly is not a wise idea, so they went for a pun)

Maybe it was foreshadowed in the OP.

And, as usual, my tribute to Rei.
JeremiahOrangeMar 8, 2018 6:47 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 17, 2018 8:45 AM

Feb 2018
Another one in a streak of amazing episodes, it's starting to get real serious.

So Eva has awakened, and we learn that what is surrounding the units is not an armor, but a cage of sorts. Just what are the Evas?

The drama in this show is so intense, hard to stop watching.
May 12, 2018 6:24 PM

Jul 2017
holy...
HOOOLYY SHIIT!!
Here I come, rougher than the rest of them
The best of them, tougher than leather
You can call me knuckles, unlike sonic I don't chuckle
I'd rather flex my muscles
I'm hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell
I break'em down whether they're solid or frail
Unlike the rest I'm independent
It's my first breath, first test
Feel the right then the worst's left
May 23, 2018 3:03 AM
Mar 2018
Why did I go to bed after this episode now I’m never gonna sleep
Aug 26, 2018 6:53 PM

Feb 2017
Once again Kaji being exactly the person Shinji needed to talk to.
Dec 15, 2018 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
Another great episode.

Rei was brave in her suicidal action.

Dec 24, 2018 8:22 PM

Dec 2018
so the big baby ran away for what the third, fourth time? just to receive YET ANOTHER heart to heart and return.

How anyone can find this anime anything than utter "2deep4me" angsty emo trash is beyond me. You literally must have some mental health issues to feel anything for these characters.
Feb 1, 2019 2:47 PM

Jan 2015
Good action. Eva gone berserk. Did Rei actually die?
Apr 29, 2019 10:22 AM

May 2016
Shinji was a man for asserting his real feelings and quitting NERV like that after he was told that everything that happened was necessary for things to turn out that way but it didn't last very long. Unit 01 had a hissy fit and can only accept Shinji now and he had to do it the moment he found out that his friends couldn't defeat the latest Angel.

Unit 01 had awakened and it's not a pleasant sight at all. It might've gotten the job done but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't supposed to devour an Angel and assimilate its parts into itself like that. It's pretty much confirmed that Evas are Angels with that core and all.

May 17, 2019 7:01 AM
Apr 2016
Well, Toji survived, luckily, but mentally he seems to be really drained. That ending, goddamn 400% synchronization...hopefully it doesn't go berserk. Amazing episode.

@Rei366 No, it didn't. Berserk would count only if it started attacking literally everyone, but in this case after destroying the angel, it screamed a little and then got under control (under control as in it became inactive, harmless basically).
blankMay 17, 2019 8:47 AM
Jun 2, 2019 9:15 PM

Dec 2018
wtf did rei really die???

that was absolutely terrifying omfg.
Jun 3, 2019 1:30 AM
Jan 2019
Yep, this episode comfirms Shinji really didn't understand the situation.

As a result, he became angry and acted it out as expected of a kid's behaviour. As I said, every trouble in the last 2 episodes wouldn't have happened if someone told him that if he didn't do it, everyone would have died. They put the safety of the world in the hand of a 14-year-old kid and never properly taught him that? That's weird.

Now I want to know why the pilot must be a 14-year-old person.

The Angel somehow attacked exactly when Shinji left. The Eva's head somehow dropped exactly where Shinji was sitting and Kaji was somehow exactly at that place watering to tell Shinji what to do. This can't be more contrived, can it?

Asuka and Rei didn't look good in this episode. Rei said she could be replaced? Hmm. Sounds interesting.

Now we can finally confirm that the EVA must have a soul or something. Can't wait to see how all of these stuff be explained.
Jul 29, 2019 8:23 AM

May 2019
Wow, brutally beatiful. A real rude awakening. Best episode so far.
Jul 29, 2019 11:31 PM

Jul 2009
Finally some redemption. Still pissed at stupid Shinji, but at least he pulled one out.

I thought Rei was going to die and just a clone of her will appear as her replacement. That was scary :|

I lol'd when Kaiji was just watering his plants as usual while shit is happening at the background. Despite still wanting to be with Katsuragi. At the end of the day, he still wants to die in the same place he was raised.

Don't blame him. Not the type of moving around. Maybe for travel, but for actual home. I prefer in one place for the rest of my life.

Ikari didn't give a fuck despite being dose with blood all over his face. Seems he already predicted this would happen. He was already playing 4D Chess well before things got out of hand.

EVA 01 became a beast!! Truly when they showed the eyes and how he was devouring the Angel. I was like damn!! That carnivalism!

Almost at the end! Can't wait to see more EVA 01 goodness! I hope 00 and 02 will get their true form as well!!

Jul 31, 2019 9:31 AM
Jan 2018
Wtf . Shinji I know you where mad but come on see the bigger picture . You basically left for rei and asuka to die and eveyone at the base
Aug 13, 2019 9:39 PM
Jul 2019
Did shinji just go sicko mode
Aug 19, 2019 12:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
i'm still baffled that twenty years later, people still bash Shinji for acting like he does.

He's 14. Fourteen. He's a child.

And he's asked to fight and kill inside a monstrous bio-mechanical monster. No explanations. Just get in and kill what's in front of you.

It's not a shoot em up videogame for him. If the adults around him did a better job of explaining things to him and talk to him about the importance of what he's doing, he'd be doing better. And no, a one sentence "what you're doing is important is not enough". When faced with the honest truth by Kaiji's revelations, that motivated Shinji into action.

His father really is the biggest selfish, immature, unsensitive asshole in all of anime. What a way to deal with the situation.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2019 5:59 AM

Oct 2012
While I think it's wrong to run away like Shinji
I was thinking the whole time, he was doing everyone's favor like destroying Angels, saved people.. And this is how they all treated him?
Like a trash? Thrown away when they don't feel its not useful anymore?
I guess it's just like how society treat its people
Also Shinji is a child with no proper father & mother to educate him. Instead of supporting, calming him down.. They treated Shinji like criminal

Damn that was one creepy cannibal Mecha :P
"Signature removed"
Nov 11, 2019 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
That was insane, everything is so fucked. That new human arm, the Eva devouring the Angel, I don't even know what to say.

I hope Rei is still alive, she doesn't deserve to die.
Nov 16, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2017
Golly, I don't have much to say. This was an intense episode all throughout.

*Randolph Grant voice* And I love it!
Nov 29, 2019 8:40 PM

Sep 2017
Another absolutely phenomenal episode. I thought Shinji's inevitable "I'm back" would be predictable, but they handled it extremely well. I'm not only interested to see where this goes but looking forward to the next episode, a first since I started watching NGE.
Mar 31, 2020 9:59 AM

Jan 2014
What this all stands for is still a mistery... They give us hints so that we can understand what is happening in the moment, but the foreshadowings don't really explain much... They anticipate that there's something more within waiting to be uncovered, but I guess we will be waiting until the end...

So who awoken? What's the secret of Eva 01?
It's an armored container of what exactly? It's related to shinji there's no mistake in that!
Apr 6, 2020 8:13 AM

Dec 2019
Oh boy, im pretty sure Eva's are done from Adam's parts but we will see as the show goes on, really nice episode.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 8, 2020 5:38 PM

Apr 2016
Well that was fucked up.

Knew there was more to the Evas than just some big mecha

Kinda gross tho
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2020 7:48 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
The scene of Shinji and Rei on the train was really jarring seeing them talk without their mouths moving. I couldn't focus on what they were saying, just kept thinking whow can they speak with their mouths closed 😂 Also a spelling error on the "emargency" sign at the train station when the angel attacks. I know they are minor nitpick but they really stuck out to me considering the rest of the series so far has been pretty damn good.

First half aside, the second half was REALLY good. Shinji finally getting some backbone and sticking up to his father. Really freaky seeing the Eva have a human arm. The Eva howling also sounds so damn haunting, I got goosebumps when it came alive after the power went off.

"those aren't armour plates. They are restraints." So confirmed Eva's are part of some sort of plan that involves them evolving into something more. There's not many episodes left, I feel like there will be a lot packed in to this last Leg of the series.
Jul 16, 2020 5:59 PM

Feb 2020
THAT WAS TERRIFYING WHAT
Jul 16, 2020 6:06 PM

Feb 2020
ok my heart is literally beating out o f my chest right now but i'm going to try and write down everything before i forget but oh my god what

IS REI DEAD???????????????????????????? because no i refuse to accept that nope no sir no thank you no no no i don't know anything about her she can't die!!!! and is asuka ok??

the true nature of the eva is being unleashed and it's kind of terrifying. the new arm it made looked human oh my god that was really freaky. is shinji ok? has he completely lost his mind? or is this all the eva? and the eva ATE the angel????????????? that was so intense and honestly scary, and the music and the blood(?) spurting everywhere wow oh wow

and what is this big plan that gendo is waiting for??? (hate that guy <3) something to do with the dead sea scrolls?

and and and what a coincidence that as soon as shinji has made his mind up to leave, a new angel turns up. there has to be something to it, someone/something has to be sending them. and they always come at moments when nerv is not prepared, there must be someone within nerv doing this??? (bet it's gendo)

and also wow what a revelation that the whole class were candidates for eva pilots, can't trust anyone these days. except misato because she is awesome xoxo

more explosions in the shape of a cross, back at it again with the religious imagery

also kaji telling shinji it's his decision to get back in the eva, like shinji has any choice in the matter. even if he isn't bound by nerv, nobody could morally stand by and watch this happen knowing they can help, and kaji knew this
Aug 14, 2020 12:32 PM

Apr 2019
LOVED KAJI-SAN'S Words
Oct 4, 2020 4:09 AM

Apr 2020
I might be late on this but they referred to Eva as "she"
So is Eva representing "Eve" because there is an Adam there.
--AbiSa--
Oct 12, 2020 10:46 PM

Aug 2018
Well this is one hell of an episode. The eva awakening itself was epic to watch, very well crafted scenes. And the sea of emotions made this a masterpiece of an episode.

Its very nice that it ended on such a espectacular climax.

Next episode will probably be something even more insane than this.
Nov 7, 2020 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
Shinji will destroy half of HQ?
Toji is awake.
Shinji is brought to Gendo.
Emargency.
An Angel.
Unit 01 rejected Rei.
Lost the arms.
Lost the head.
Damn. The head flew right to Shinji.
Dummy plug got rejected.
lol at Kaji just casually watering the watermelon.
Rei!
Dat explosion.
Shinji gets back in the robot to save Misato in time.
Out of energy?
Holy shit! Unit 01 regrew it arm by using the Angel's.
Holy shit! Dat movement.
Its eating the Angel.
Bindings? Suppress the Eva's true power?
Dat ending.

Holy shit! What an episode. Eva... has awoken. Props to Shinji for having balls this episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 2, 2021 11:24 PM

Aug 2019
well shit talk about bad luck and everything else. Just when Shinji taps out, angel attacks and rampages everything. Unit 01 starts getting sassy, Shinji gets a first class view of Unit 02's head, sees Rei fucking explode in front of him, then has to pilot Unit 01 again before morphing into what i can only call "me at 3am scurrying down stairs with cravings for munchies" no but fr, what ever knowledge i first thought i had of the Eva units, are gone, i don't have a crispy fried fuck what they even are anymore.

Honestly, Kaji's reaction to this end of the world scenario is such a mood, space alien hot pocket looking ass just took out 2 evas, broke into NERV base in minutes, and is about to end the world, and my guy is spending his final moments watering his watermelons. I mean even after, witnessing Shinji and Unit 01 dig into the angel like it was a fucking krispy kreme donut pack, dude goes un phased and continues watering his watermelons.

honestly the only thing that comes to mind at the end of this episode, is when NERV look at the fucking abomination Unit 01 has become is "well well well, if it isn't the consequences of our actions"
honestly wonder what the aftermath of this one's gonna be.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.