Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 21, 2012 12:51 PM

Nov 2010
After rewatching, almost everything made more sense...

And I still cried in the last two ep... I guess now I will rate AIR and Kanon altogether (Still, Clannad AS is more superior), but it totally deserves it's seat as one of a Key/KyoAni drama triangle.
Apr 25, 2012 11:47 AM

Mar 2012
Most people say that it is the bad ending.. well i dont think so.
yukito's objective is to find the girl in the sky that has a wing and make her happy before she dies. and misuzu's (the girl that has a wing) objective is to find that happiness. Well although they're not together in the end, both had reached their objective.. so i think its a bittersweet ending..

KANON, AIR, and CLANNAD
Wonderfully wonderful triangle
Apr 26, 2012 9:35 PM

Sep 2011
blu3cru5ad3r said:
Most people say that it is the bad ending.. well i dont think so.
yukito's objective is to find the girl in the sky that has a wing and make her happy before she dies. and misuzu's (the girl that has a wing) objective is to find that happiness. Well although they're not together in the end, both had reached their objective.. so i think its a bittersweet ending..

KANON, AIR, and CLANNAD
Wonderfully wonderful triangle

Well you could say that they weren't together til the end

10/10 Anime, Another amazing piece of work done, still gotta watch Kanon and Clannad. Cried near the end :[
Apr 26, 2012 9:41 PM

Nov 2011
Sad series :(...

Key sure knows how to stir up emotions. I hope they can pull it off again in the upcoming Little Busters
May 18, 2012 9:54 PM

Jul 2010
So beautiful :) I didn't like the beginnings of Air much, but the thought and emotion put into this last arc really touched me. Definitely getting a 7 or 8 :D

5/5
Jul 28, 2012 3:53 AM

May 2012
What a nice ending I do wonder what the 13th episode is?

The story was quite nice and touching really loved it! 9/10
Aug 19, 2012 2:36 PM

Jun 2009
I enjoyed watching this pretty anime, though it was slightly confusing at times. I do have to rewatch it at some point in the near future to completely understand the storyline. The last arc was very touching, indeed!
henecksAug 19, 2012 2:40 PM
Aug 26, 2012 7:05 PM
Jul 2012
Cool ending.
4/5
Air is aright. Story is not that good. Clannad is better
6/10
Sep 19, 2012 4:54 AM

Sep 2011
I never knew this was better than Kanon though the adaptation is so bad which I believe this whole series can be way better. BTW, I cried. Still a good series.

But I'm still confused about the timeline of this story.
TennoujiFeb 21, 2013 2:52 AM

Sep 25, 2012 7:48 PM
Oct 2009
I enjoyed most of the series, but around the time when the main girl started feeling sick it all fell apart. Overall the series made little sense. Only emotional effects it had on me were those of distaste and disappointment.
Oct 24, 2012 5:28 PM

Oct 2010
I was more pissed off how Yukito died. I thought he would survive i knew Misuzu would die but the shit they put her through pissed me off i aint going to lie.

I dont see why people compare this to Clannad i didnt like it. Hell i dropped it when he picked the girl i didnt care for. LOL
Oct 25, 2012 7:05 AM
Aug 2012
This is the most depressing anime I have seen yet, beats Angel beats on my charts, beats Clannad as well (though both Angel beats and clannad stories are done in better quality).
At first I couldn't care for the characters because of the dated art, but after ep5... I just got sucked in. I see there is a movie as well and things seem to happen differently in the movie.
Oct 29, 2012 2:05 PM

Sep 2011
Well that was kind of...meh...
I knew it was the least favorite of the big 3 for most people (it was also the one I was least interested in), but I expected more.

The main and most important problems as of course the shortness of the story. They should have either make it longer or leave out the two other character arcs. I couldn't get to know those characters much and therefore couldn't care about their story as much as I should have. Too big cast for such a short anime.
The story was very confusing and sometimes made no sense.
It was sad of course, but I just couldn't get into it that much. Especially because they gave no explanations for some things. The saddest part I think was actually in episode 5 when Misuzu had her first spasm. That was so sudden and heartbreaking. I actually wanted to give at least an 8 for that scene alone.
I guess I liked both main characters, but like I said they were underdeveloped in my opinion. The other characters? They were okay.
The ending was also okay, the relationship between Misuzu and her aunt was nice, just like the whole story illness thing.
I hoped Yukito will have more importance in the end, but he just flew away to search for Kanna/Misuzu. I'm sad he couldn't even show any of his feelings for Misuzu, like he forgot everything about her. It's like they just threw him away from the story. They built up their relationship so much and BAM, now he is a crow, just an observer and that's it.

But wait, there is one thing I haven't talked about yet. The past arc about Kanna and the others. Now that was a pretty good story. I actually liked it more then the main story, though it also had unexplained things.
And with that said, I'm gonna end the series with a 6/10, while I'm gonna give the Kanna arc (so the OVAs gonna get the score) a 7/10.
I'm pretty sad, I wanted to like this so much more after my love for Clannad :/ It's not bad though, I guess I liked it.
Now I'm on to Kanon. I hope it's gonna be better, just like people usually say (It's between Air and Clannad).
RazielZeroMar 23, 2013 12:55 PM
Nov 4, 2012 2:09 AM

Jul 2009
SophiafrmAustria said:
Roketsu said:
Huge post, so click the spoiler tag at your own risk :P

After some fleshing out of the story and putting it together...I do give the series a lot more credit since it was all there and there werent really any holes in the story. However, I feel that the way it presented itself wasnt up to snuff compared to the story it was telling. It felt at times the story jumped all over the place and jumbled over itself...when the crow was introduced and we are suppose to realize it was always there in the first place reminds me of when a film uses fancy cuts to show that something was there all along but we just didnt pay attention...then we were suppose to swallow that the crows spirit was either Yukitos or I believe ryuuya. The problem with that is that if the crow was yukitos soul...whos the meat bag thats controlling him? And even if it was his ancestor ryuuya, it takes away from the main characters significance in my opinion because when you are reincarnated...you take over someones spirit or soul which is now yours...so how is there still an original floating around right next to you in the form of a bird? I think it was a solid series nonetheless but it has a lot of things in the way to be considered great.

"In some forms of Buddhism, reincarnation is not linear which means that a spirit’s reincarnations can overlap and or take different shapes and, therefore, be in the same plane at the same time. While the girl in the sky is Kanna’s spirit, Misuzu is the human reincarnation of Kanna. Yukito’s human reincarnation is the boy on the beach, his (or rather Ryuya’s) spirit is Sora, the crow. Misuzu is reincarnated as the girl on the beach."
nanaki254Nov 4, 2012 2:13 AM
Nov 21, 2012 7:49 PM

Feb 2012
Very touching story, i' cried a few times. And @chinaboat, thanks for the explanation, i think its right all what you say.
Oh boy, now i am a fan of Key's works =)
Dec 2, 2012 10:06 PM

Feb 2012
No other anime has ever affected me as much as Air. Seriously, I cannot put into words how many confusing and different emotions this puts me through.

Objectively, (if that's even possible) I'm going to name a few things that I believe makes this series one of the best (the best by far for me) animes in existence:

1. Empathy: My god, Key has just gone all out with establishing empathy in the characters, especially Misuzu. It begins with the viewer being introduced to her amazingly optimistic attitude (likeable character [CHECK]). We then find out about her mortal illness and her inability to make friends and the fact that she's never had any friends or indeed anyone who's ever loved her because of this illness (Feeling sorry for a character [BIGGEST CHECK EVER]) On top of this it's inspiring to see how optimistic she remains facing this illness, no friends and no parents who care about her.

Then that scene - oh boy that scene. It's absolutely heartbreaking to see such an optimistic character finally give in to the horrible injustices that have befallen them. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the scene where Misuzu begins crying her eye's out in her bedroom because she think's she's a huge burden on everyone.

2. Tight writing: While some people might think this series is short, I believe it's just due to the tight writing, which in my opinion serves to increase the emotional impact. I'd rather have Air with 12 episodes as it is, where everything is plot or character related, than something like Clannad + After Story, where they literally could have cut out 12 episodes of each series and you'd have the same thing with less beating around the bush and pointless side stories.

3. It's left up to interpretation: I love a series that generates serious discussion afterwards. Key isn't going to spoon feed you an exact, literal ending. If it's left up to our imaginations it creates more serious viewer engagement and generates post viewing discussion which I think is great! It's nice to have a really deep series too :) Honestly, those who thought the end was 'confusing' must have gone into it after watching a ton of other anime. I've found that very few anime tend to acknowledge the intelligence of the viewer and leave stuff up to interpretation, and no, this is not laziness on the writer's part, this is acknowledging you as an intelligent being and giving you credit.

Nothing will ever again compare (for me) to the amazing emotional experience that is Air. The only other thing that comes close is Fate/Stay Night, but after recently rewatching Air it's clear that it's easily my favourite story from any medium ever.

And I agree with whoever said that it's a shame Air doesn't get as much love as it should. It's definitely the most intelligent, heartfelt and deep project that Key and KYOani have ever done.

P.S. As I was watching it the other day I was thinking "Wow, this has damn good sound design". Looking at the back of the DVD case I saw Audio: 5.1

I was like O_O

I'm watching this on the xbox next time so I can get surround sound!

<3 you Air.
Dec 19, 2012 8:55 AM
Oct 2012
this series was sad i hate sad endings but it was allso very confuseing for me add inthe other charters the mstyerious unexplaied events and i do not rally care for this series i felt it let me down
Dec 27, 2012 6:49 AM
Nov 2010
who is the girl and the boy at the end of the show? ... the boy look like he knows alot of what happened or is going to happen
Hi
Dec 30, 2012 12:27 PM

Jun 2012
i like this anime so much but the ending makes me hate it a bit..what a to end this story i think it's not enough one episode to end this..so so sad end :( can anyone makes cry :|
Jan 9, 2013 5:50 PM

Oct 2012
This anime was so much confusing to me, and I really don't like it, although it is another of Kei's works I was already expecting that.

As for the story, it was just average untill the first half and some more episodes, the last 2 episodes were great, I didn't know to whether give it a 7 or an 8, but after reading some explanations things got better.

Good anime, I would recommend. 8/10
Feb 7, 2013 3:30 AM

Jan 2011
What the hell is up with this ending? I understand the reasons and what people posted in this thread helped confirm them but still... I just wanted something else.
I'd like some kind of follow-up in the least. At least I can watch Air in Summer.
The summer arc was also the one that I loved most for some reason.
It made me cry and something that makes me cry deserves a 10/10.
I won't watch the recap episode which is not even on BD (or uguu's release).
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 19, 2013 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
Great anime, 8/10
Mar 13, 2013 2:07 PM
Jan 2013
Ehh... I know, not all the dramas must have happy-endings, but... just want to say: "No, not Misuzu!" Even understanding the thing so her life was excruciating, you just wish to see the happy-end, when she is saved from pain and curse, and still ALIVE.
Apr 23, 2013 11:18 PM

Apr 2012
This was a lot more confusing than Kanon and Clannad's story put together, but lol, after reading some of the explanations, it did clear things up a bit. But I guess that's just Key's usual routine of story telling. Dat Key Magic.

It was a good and sad run. My favorite was definitely Misuzu's arc. The beach scene when she first calls Haruko "mom" was probably the most powerful scene for me. It left quite the emotional dent on my heart. It's going to be one I'm gonna remember for a long time.

Apr 28, 2013 7:00 AM

Dec 2010
chinaboat said:
1. Michiru, who is the spirit of Managi’s dead sister, is constantly shown as not being able to blow bubbles. This refers to a sad song that mothers of babies who have died sing to comfort themselves. The main verse is: A soap bubble vanished away. Before it could fly it vanished. The moment it was born it burst and vanished away.
2. Yukito is the last in a line of descendants from Ryuya and Uraha. Sora, the crow, is the spirit of Ryuya who died trying to protect the woman he loved, Kanna. Sora, appears many times you just are looking for him.
3. Misuzu is the latest reincarnation of Kanna. Kanna was the last of the winged beings. In order to destroy her and the cult built around her species, Buddhist monks cursed her to live an endless cycle of reincarnation, suffering and death; never knowing happiness. She suffers from the knowledge she will be alone and sad, that if she is even fond of anyone she develops an extremely painful illness that eventually kills her, but even if she didn’t she will die young because a human is not strong enough to be the reincarnation of a winged being. What causes the greatest amount of suffering is if she thinks that a person likes (not even loves) her they, too, will suffer a painful death.
4. In some forms of Buddhism, reincarnation is not linear which means that a spirit’s reincarnations can overlap and or take different shapes and, therefore, be in the same plane at the same time. While the girl in the sky is Kanna’s spirit, Misuzu is the human reincarnation of Kanna. Yukito’s human reincarnation is the boy on the beach, his (or rather Ryuya’s) spirit is Sora, the crow. Misuzu is reincarnated as the girl on the beach.
5. Yukito left Misuzu to convince her that she would once again be alone and therefore recover. In fact he did not stop loving her even though he knew it meant his death. Misuzu didn’t recover because she made a conscious decision to love Huruko, which caused her death. Huruko didn’t suffer because the curse was broken when Sora took Misuzu’s happy memories of that summer with Yukito and Huruko to Kanna’s spirit, the girl in the sky. Because Misuzu was Kanna’s reincarnation the memories became Kanna’s as well thereby defeating the monks curse.
6. That the curse is broken is shown first by Huruko not being ill and then by the two children on the beach who are the reincarnations of Yukito and Misuzu
Thanks so much for this explanation, at least things make somewhat more sense to me this way.

I did no expect this anime to turn out as sad. Really, this is probably the saddest anime I've ever seen. Like my reaction exactly:
sailorlitakino said:
Nothing much to say except for I'm going to go and die in the corner of my room now <.>
Misuzu FOREVER! <3<3
=\

How can this anime end like this? Seriously, almost not a bit of comfort after the drama we've been through.
May 16, 2013 3:14 AM

Oct 2012
bad ending huh?? hm,...

Jun 21, 2013 4:29 AM

Apr 2013
The end part was very confusing but after reading some post's, things became more clear. The ending was way too over-dramatized.
"Cry,cry move on and forget about it!!!" -_-
Always-HungryApr 12, 2014 4:53 PM
Jun 29, 2013 12:28 PM
Dec 2012
Pretty good one. I like those anime that leave your mind thinking about the story for hours. BUT, it still was a little bit confusing and I would prefer to find the answers for my questions in the series, not here. However, big thanks to everyone that helped me understand some things by posting their explanations. Though, I had fun watching it. I think it only would benefit if it were longer, because I didn't really had time to grow attached to other characters than Yukito and Misuzu. This is probably the reason that I adore Kanon much more. I'm giving it 7/10 for graphics and 8.5/10 for the story and main characters of Yukito and Misuzu. Haruko was also amazing, especially at the end. <3
Jul 19, 2013 2:53 PM

May 2013
Only those who goes trough loss of beloved will understand how much they have (in my case i was able to understand that even before loss but after it much will change.)
P.S
Ending was sad because last reincarnations was those who broke the curse (and had both of them to pass on) but in the end boy and girl on beach are them as reincarnations that they are together and happy.
hakerx1Jul 19, 2013 3:10 PM
Fiat justitia ruat caelum.
Hi there 👋, my name is Oskars, I am a Full Stack Engineer, with experience of over 15 years.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
.fsociety
.rA9
Jul 29, 2013 12:23 PM

Jan 2012
I cried like a bitch.
Aug 19, 2013 5:03 PM
Jan 2013
versuz said:
i like this anime so much but the ending makes me hate it a bit..

Exactly.
Sep 1, 2013 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
This was so sad..
Nice series, altough I think It was not as good as Kanon or Clannad. But a good show overall.

9/10
Oct 6, 2013 2:38 AM

Nov 2011
all of my wut, if it wasn't for the explanations on here I would be lost, hell even now I'm somewhat lost.

So can someone explain what the end was? Did they get like a second chance or did it just kind of go back to the first episode, but only in this time in the kid's perspective explaining how they'd have to suffer?

Making it a bittersweet ending. Anyways, it was good, but just so much crap to understand it makes it a bit difficult.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 21, 2013 5:46 AM

Sep 2013
Very confusing this anime... but finally I understand all! Thank you all! However I have the feeling I wasted my time because I didn't enjoy watching it...
In every score, there's a feeling...
Dec 17, 2013 5:01 PM
Aug 2010
I'm fairly disappointed with people's reaction with the series and surely after reading the last comment above me, this is truly an injustice. People need to understand that it is not the series fault but rather KyoAni. Yes you heard me right, it's on them. Having watch the entire tv series again and the movie, it made me conclude that the movie is superior than tv. If you are new to the series and don't get the tv series, please watch the movie for god sake before giving it a low mark or one of those "wasted time type of anime". I can at least assure you that the storytelling and pacing is much better in the movie, though the art might put one off (well it entirely depends on the individual). And please, don't compare this series to Kanon 2006 or Clannad, Air anime was released before those two and I now believe that KyoAni just used it to test the water to see if there is market to Key VNs. If there's any anime that I would want a remake and a longer episode, it's this one.
Dec 25, 2013 8:44 AM

Feb 2011
This series made soooooooooo much sense -_-

7/10
Jan 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Jun 2013
The most sad thing is that Misuzu's seiyuu also died :/
Feb 22, 2014 5:30 AM
Oct 2011
First half of the series was so much better. :(
Mar 18, 2014 4:31 AM

Nov 2012
I think 2nd half was better but w/e

Could be great, was only good. Story could be better, longer with more details 7/10.
Mar 20, 2014 7:16 AM

Dec 2013
That's really should be the end? I expected way more. And there's still existing a 13th episode.
May 7, 2014 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
This was so good, if only it could have had more episodes it would have been a masterpiece.
May 25, 2014 1:20 PM

May 2012
bullshit
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Jun 29, 2014 9:48 AM

Oct 2013
It's always so easy for even a remotely tragic story to make me cry... so why didn't I cry here? Was it because I already watched the movie? Was it because I already knew both Yukito and Misuzu would die, thus softening its impact? Was it because I was too preoccupied trying to connect the dots I didn't give myself a chance to feel the anime? I wish I would have cried. Thinking about the end, how Haruko is now alone, the regret she must feel ignoring Misuzu for 10 years, her final words, and the final words from Sora as well... it's so... depressing...

I also love the "show, don't tell" aspect of the anime as one reviewer well put it. But... I dunno. Everything is there, but it's not resonating with me the way it should be. Actually, I think I might prefer the movie, which had better execution in some ways. And at least...

I feel like this is an anime that needs to be rewatched to fully grasp.

Side note: In the English dub at least, the voice of Sora's mind is the same as Yukito's, which lends credibility to the fact that Sora IS Yukito.
ZadionJun 29, 2014 10:07 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 23, 2014 8:40 AM
Feb 2013
I don't know how I should think about this ending.
I'll need the recap + a bit of days of thoughts before giving a proper answer.

8/10
Aug 15, 2014 6:58 PM

Jan 2014
well I've seen better dramas that is not as confusing as this one. but after reading the summaries, I guess this show is actually pretty good.

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Aug 15, 2014 11:42 PM

Dec 2010
Eugh, this anime got way too far up its own ass....

The 9s and 10s for this anime are what is truly confusing.

The artwork and characters were enjoyable for the first half or so of this anime, then like so many others it drove off into retard land.
Sep 4, 2014 9:10 PM

Jun 2012
I somewhat understand the ending after reading these posts. I didn't like it but it was touching. Im happy I ended up finishing this. Preferred the movie ending and I liked that there was actual romance in the film unlike the tv series.
Sep 20, 2014 5:52 PM

Jul 2014
The plot was utter nonsense. They should have left the whole mid-evil flashback & crow thing alone and focus on the characters they had present. The drama felt forced & things happened out of convenience, serving little to the overall story. All the characters could have been summed up as a 2 dimensional archetype. disappointed overall but even more disappointed that this show is so highly received.

It's a messy watch, utter nonsense: 4/10
Sep 23, 2014 1:52 AM

Sep 2014
Very messy. The plot bounced all over the place, there were great moments and awful moments. The middle episodes 5-(10?) weren't anywhere near as good as 11/12. Those last two episodes made up for a lot of those problems, though; still a good show
Dec 20, 2014 7:51 AM

Feb 2013
So, only refering to this episode, I actually liked it, and yeah, I cried.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Air Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

hznu - Aug 20, 2008

62 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jan 11, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Piroko - Nov 12, 2007

100 by KingYoshi »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:37 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Genix - Oct 16, 2008

58 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yukia-Kontan - May 30, 2008

74 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Genix - Oct 9, 2008

58 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.