3It was OK
6.2%
2Disliked it
0.7%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.5
146 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2019 7:30 AM

Jan 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This is the final chapter, so I'm curious what the 135th is according to MAL, though I do know they tend to add the bonus/extra but in this case that woud be the "Danpo" chapters but there's one for each volume (excluding this one), although this volume has 2 or 3 small omakes inbetween chapters.

Either way, 134 is the last story of Barakamon so don't be confused.

If I had to be honest I would like to see more of Hiroshi in Tokyo, Handa having to deal with another Winter and some more of the other villagers, but this was a nice final chapter given that sometimes they end up being disappointing, this one was really good one.

The wall of mediocrity has been climbed.
Aug 21, 2019 10:30 AM
Aug 2018
Was there anything about Sei and that Ojou girl (the arranged marriage partner) in the last volume or did they drop that entirely?
Aug 22, 2019 5:11 AM

Jan 2013
tr25a3 said:
Was there anything about Sei and that Ojou girl (the arranged marriage partner) in the last volume or did they drop that entirely?

As far as I remember that was dealt with in the same volume that she appeared. She shows up when Handa goes to Tokyo with Naru but that's it.
Aug 22, 2019 11:33 PM
Mar 2015
Nice to have him sitting on the wall with Naru at the end
Aug 23, 2019 12:14 AM

Jun 2015
That was such a nice ending. I am going to miss this manga so much.
:)
Aug 23, 2019 1:04 AM
May 2017
Was a nice ending. Really going to miss this manga <3
Aug 24, 2019 11:26 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
A great manga, been following for quite a while. Such a melancholic yet uplifting end.

10/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 25, 2019 4:55 AM

Mar 2015
SOL comedy was it's peak, story continuation is not. 8/10.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 25, 2019 8:58 PM
Oct 2017
would be cool to see some sort of sequel form Narus point of view when shes like a teenager or somethimg. Like when Barakamon was a continuation from Handa-kun, now it would be a continuation from Barakamon. Just an neat idea.
Jan 10, 2020 5:18 AM
Jan 2020
@bugbaer ikr!!! Its a manga that makes me laugh a lot, the characters are interesting and super lovable. So being able to see what happens in their future would be great. I miss em already haha. So I hope that the author would make a sequel.
Jan 30, 2020 3:35 AM
Jan 2019
It was the awesome ride I am glad that I did this Manga

I was expecting Handa to be more famous in the end

But I am happy 10/10
Mar 20, 2020 1:17 PM
Feb 2018
bugbaer said:
would be cool to see some sort of sequel form Narus point of view when shes like a teenager or somethimg. Like when Barakamon was a continuation from Handa-kun, now it would be a continuation from Barakamon. Just an neat idea.
It ain't a JoJo. So, I don't see it happening.
May 12, 2020 6:21 PM

Jan 2019
I don't often say this about manga, but I wonder if the ending might have been improved by having a time skip at the end so we could see where everyone ended up. Like Hiroshi working at restaurant, Tama as a manga artist, and Miwa doing... something. I'm also a little disappointed that we never learned anything about Naru's mother.

I am glad that it ended with Handa getting back into calligraphy.
May 15, 2020 8:57 PM

Nov 2017
orangeskull said:
I don't often say this about manga, but I wonder if the ending might have been improved by having a time skip at the end so we could see where everyone ended up. Like Hiroshi working at restaurant, Tama as a manga artist, and Miwa doing... something. I'm also a little disappointed that we never learned anything about Naru's mother.

I am glad that it ended with Handa getting back into calligraphy.
I wish there was more Handa-Ojou moments. And I couldn't agree more with the time skip ending cause I would love to see how much Handa's calligraphy school grows in couple of years, Naru, Hina and all the kids growing up and all. Nevertheless I loved the ending.

Sep 7, 2020 3:16 PM

Apr 2009
Eh, weak ending. I can't imagine any other way to end it though, except maybe a time-skip.

Sep 9, 2020 10:45 AM
Dec 2019
The first and last calligraphy he wrote are the same. Read this manga like 5 times already, truly my best manga of all time.
Jan 14, 2021 7:55 AM

Apr 2017
I actually liked it more for not doing a typical time-skip ending. Just like Handa ended up on a different life path than the one he "should've" been on, it's possible everyone else ended up in different places than they wanted. I think a time-skip chapter would kind of defeat one of the themes of the manga: that something can happen that suddenly changes the path of your life (or makes you want to change it).

It'd have been great to see more Handa/Ojou stuff. Kirie's reaction to both of them not-flirting was one of the funniest moments in the manga.
Aug 6, 2021 2:04 AM
Jul 2021
Manga was so funny and heart warming.But I think it deserves a sequel .I want to see Handa becoming famous and popular too.
Jun 9, 2022 7:24 PM

Sep 2021
Ending felt a bit rushed but otherwise a great manga
Sci-Fi Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2022 9:41 PM

Jan 2012
I'm also confused by the 135 chapters thing going on here on MAL as this was the end of volume 18. I just looked at volume 18+1 though which I plan to read next and that has 4 more chapters so if anything this should have 138 chapters total on here, but oh well.

Ending as we began, with Naru and Handa-sensei staring out to sea atop the wall. Fitting, certainly. I honestly can't remember how I stumbled across Barakamon anymore. It took me many years to finally finish my physical collection. There were times where I figured I'd never get my hands on later volumes after missing out on the first prints, but reprints finally came earlier this fall and I didn't miss out again. I'm about as far removed as you can possibly get in regards to a target audience for this series. I really don't and won't ever get to know what it's like living near the goto islands or seto inland sea. I barely even know where they are. And yet, despite the significant cultural barriers present I found myself smiling while reading this. The series is pretty much what you'd want out of any slice-of-life. Calming, relaxing, light-hearted fun. At times I even got pretty emotional reading it. Almost wistful. I loved the anime adaptation, to this day it's my #1 anime of 2014, and only wish we'd gotten a complete adaptation. But oh well. I see Satsuki Yoshino, the author, has a new series that's begun getting releases. Maybe I'll check that out one day too. For now I'm looking forward to reading 18+1. Strong 9/10.

More topics from this board

» New chapters?

Frosteek - Apr 21, 2023

4 by Frosteek »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 7 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Aug 7, 2011

4 by AnkitM »»
Aug 8, 2023 8:40 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 68 & Danpo the 8th Discussion

CrimsonSilver4 - Dec 19, 2015

4 by DespoAMV »»
Jan 11, 2023 2:22 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 58 Discussion

CrimsonSilver4 - Dec 5, 2015

2 by HiMaNGa_K_BaRUaH »»
Oct 19, 2022 11:13 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Chapter 1 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Aug 7, 2011

6 by OnigirisBasket »»
Sep 10, 2022 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.