Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Theory : every episode title is a name of a song from a British band/ solo artist

New
Jul 28, 2019 3:42 PM
Dec 2018
I noticed straight away in the first episode that Ritsuka had a copy of "AM", one of the Arctic Monkeys most known albums that i enjoy immensely, and thought it was a cool little easter egg.
I just finished episode 3 and noticed that the next episode is called "Fluorescent Adolescent", a well known Arctic Monkeys song; so I looked at all the titles of the episodes we have so far, and sure enough ,each episode title is a song where the guitar is prominent by a British band/solo artist that tend to gravitate to indie rock :
-Episode 1 : Boys in the Band - The Libertines
-Episode 2 : Like Someone in Love - Bruno Major
-Episode 3 : Somebody Else - Circa Waves
-Episode 4 : Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys

I hope this theory is true, cause it seems like too many coincidences to not be, and it's a fun little Easter egg that could make people discover new songs and artists.
The series is starting to look more and more interesting and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, hope all goes well.
Cheers for reading.

NooBeauJul 28, 2019 3:51 PM
Jul 28, 2019 4:14 PM

Jul 2019
Oh nice find! I just took a quick peak at the manga (I am trying to avoid spoilers haha) and the first chapters are titles Code 1, Code 2, and Code 3. So the naming scheme as far as I know - is something exclusive to the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2019 4:33 PM
Feb 2018
NooBeau said:
I noticed straight away in the first episode that Ritsuka had a copy of "AM", one of the Arctic Monkeys most known albums that i enjoy immensely, and thought it was a cool little easter egg.
I just finished episode 3 and noticed that the next episode is called "Fluorescent Adolescent", a well known Arctic Monkeys song; so I looked at all the titles of the episodes we have so far, and sure enough ,each episode title is a song where the guitar is prominent by a British band/solo artist that tend to gravitate to indie rock :
-Episode 1 : Boys in the Band - The Libertines
-Episode 2 : Like Someone in Love - Bruno Major
-Episode 3 : Somebody Else - Circa Waves
-Episode 4 : Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys

I hope this theory is true, cause it seems like too many coincidences to not be, and it's a fun little Easter egg that could make people discover new songs and artists.
The series is starting to look more and more interesting and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, hope all goes well.
Cheers for reading.

I try to looking it and that true!! Omg the detail 😭 i really love this show. Because of this show i discover some music i never know and i love it. 💕

Lyric of the song really suit for the situation in the show.
Ran_RaihanJul 28, 2019 4:42 PM
Jul 28, 2019 6:23 PM

Jun 2012
Ooh that is so interesting. I might try listening to the song or bands in the titles. Maybe I’ll find another good indie rock band. I used to be kinda into Arctic Monkeys.
This show is reminding me of my love for Brit rock and indie rock cuz I mostly listen to J-rock nowadays
Just waiting y’know...for death. If you also are waiting for sweet death...cool (・u・)
My list that has slightly more watched than PTW anime.
Aug 1, 2019 12:27 PM
Apr 2018
Carole & Tuesday is also naming episodes after iconic songs, quite clearly as they show a record with the song on it before the episode cuts for commercials.
Aug 1, 2019 1:16 PM

Mar 2017
Oh wow, i didn't even notice but now that u mention... That is so cool! The level of detail there is so amazing
Aug 1, 2019 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
Noticed the AM disc too, and the Fluorescent Adolescent was the biggest hint xD The author must really like Arctic Monkeys! I didn't know the rest, so...

I thought "The Reason" was a reference to the Hoobastank song, but if you're right and it's only British indie rock bands, it can't be it.
Aug 2, 2019 5:56 AM
Dec 2018
MaahHeim said:
Noticed the AM disc too, and the Fluorescent Adolescent was the biggest hint xD The author must really like Arctic Monkeys! I didn't know the rest, so...

I thought "The Reason" was a reference to the Hoobastank song, but if you're right and it's only British indie rock bands, it can't be it.

Yeah, they must have been a big influence for him !
I've been looking and "The Reason" might be from the Band "Lower Than Atlantis" who are an english rock band and I feel their song fit the criteria more of the other songs mentioned (guitar very prominent and very indie rock vibes)
I'm not a 100% sure, but it seems likely !
Aug 2, 2019 6:15 AM
Dec 2018
stagnantmoth said:
Yeah, I notice that too. I really like indie rock, so I think it was a very cool thing to add to the anime. Episode 5 will be titled "The Reason" and I assume it's referring to the Hoobastank song.

One more Easter Egg: on the first episode, Uenoyama says that at first he couldn't play guitar like Thom Yorke (Radiohead's vocalist) and Keith Richards (The Rolling Stone's guitarrist). Unlike the other Easter Eggs, that one was in the manga too.

Yeah I saw that too ! Both British artists aswell, that's why I think "The Reason" is referring to the "Lower Than Atlantis" song, who are a British rock band aswell, I gave it a listen and it's pretty good and fits the theory so far aswell !
Aug 2, 2019 1:08 PM

Dec 2018
in episode 4 Uenoyama said British rock is his fav genre, so you are right
Sep 22, 2019 5:23 PM

Apr 2008
Well, now that the series is over...

Episode 1 : Boys in the Band - The Libertines
Episode 2 : Like Someone in Love - Bruno Major
Episode 3 : Somebody Else - Circa Waves
Episode 4 : Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys
Episode 5: The Reason - Lower Than Atlantis
Episode 6: Creep - Radiohead
Episode 7: Tumbling Dice - The Rolling Stones
Episode 8: Time is Running Out - Muse
Episode 9: A Winter Story - Given (mafuyu's song)
Episode 10: Wonderwall - Oasis
Episode 11: Song2 - Blur
Dec 1, 2021 4:35 AM

Jun 2021
Official ギヴン (Given) PVs + official MVs/audio from official YouTube channels of the English rock bands/singers mentioned on each episode title of the anime Given:

Episode 1: Boys in the Band

Boys in the Band by The Libertines

Listen on Spotify

Boys in the Band lyrics - Genius (for Genius Annotation, translations & more) | Musixmatch (for translations; Spotify lyrics provider)

Episode 2: Like Someone in Love

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #02「Like Someone In Love」

Like Someone in Love by Bruno Major

Listen on Spotify

Like Someone in Love lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

The entire lyrics of the song sums up Uenoyama's blossoming feelings for Mafuyu.

Episode 3: Somebody Else

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #03「Somebody Else」

Somebody Else by Circa Waves (The 1975 Cover)

Listen on Spotify

A really good cover.

I actually found the band way back through Dr. Martens. I'm quite happy about that discovery.

Somebody Else by The 1975

Listen on Spotify

Somebody Else lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

I added the original since The 1975 is also an English band.

Episode 4: Fluorescent Adolescent

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #04「Fluorescent Adolescent」

Fluorescent Adolescent by Arctic Monkeys

Listen on Spotify

Fluorescent Adolescent lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

Episode 5: The Reason

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #05「The Reason」

The Reason by Lower Than Atlantis

Listen on Spotify

The Reason lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

"Cause you are the reason
I can love again
You are the reason"

Uenoyama is Mafuyu's reason. Haruki is Akihiro's and vice versa.

Here's The Reason by American rock band Hoobastank.

Listen on Spotify

The Reason lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

Episode 6: Creep

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #06「Creep」

Creep by Radiohead

Listen on Spotify

Creep lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

Episode 7: Tumbling Dice

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #07「Tumbling Dice」

Tumbling Dice by The Rolling Stones

Listen on Spotify

Tumbling Dice lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

Episode 8: Time Is Running Out

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #08「Time Is Running Out」

Time Is Running Out by Muse

Listen on Spotify

Time Is Running Out lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

Episode 9: 冬のはなし (A Winter Story)

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #09「冬のはなし」

冬のはなし (Fuyu no Hanashi, A Winter Story) by ギヴン (Given) (Mafuyu's Song)

Listen on Spotify

Fuyu no Hanashi by センチミリメンタル (Centimillimental) (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/センチミリメンタル)

Fuyu no Hanashi lyrics - Genius | Lyrical Nonsense | Anime Songs Lyrics

This one is from the live-action drama but it’s a different song.
【Music Video】『Melody Lane』/ the seasons fromドラマ「ギヴン」

Listen on Spotify

Melody Lane lyrics - Genius | Lyrical Nonsense

Episode 10: Wonderwall

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #10「Wonderwall」

Wonderwall by Oasis

Listen on Spotify

Wonderwall lyrics - Genius | https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Oasis/ワンダーウォール (Musixmatch)

I’m glad to have seen Liam Gallagher in his signature parka perform Wonderwall live once. “As you were.” “rkid.” Liam’s tweets are glorious. Check his ‘biblical’ tweets @liamgallagher.

Episode 11: Song2

TVアニメ「ギヴン」予告| #11「 Song2」

Song2 by Blur

Listen on Spotify

Song2 lyrics - Genius | Musixmatch

Centimillimental, Muse and Oasis are in MAL’s database.

Here’s a Spotify playlist (by Blyme Yaoi) with all these songs: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6O3VX8riKqnqtFnzLNv4x2?si=5989956871f44c56

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

Speaking of British bands, the Arctic Monkeys, Muse, and Beady Eye (formed by former Oasis members) all performed at the London 2012 Summer Olympics.

AM performed at the opening ceremony while Muse and Beady Eye performed at the closing ceremony. I could still remember. If you want to watch, both ceremonies are available on the Olympics’ YouTube channel: The Complete London 2012 Opening Ceremony | London 2012 Olympic Games and The Complete London 2012 Closing Ceremony | London 2012 Olympic Games. The Rolling Stones, The Libertines, and Noel Gallagher declined to perform on either the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony or the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony.
IridescentJauneDec 3, 2021 12:31 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Given Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tubby - Jul 18, 2019

114 by Antoinn »»
May 21, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 19, 2019

134 by Keia_ »»
May 11, 3:33 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tubby - Jul 11, 2019

169 by JacobRules »»
May 1, 9:43 AM

» I'm a straight guy, can I watch it?

removed-user - Oct 29, 2023

36 by NekoCats »»
Mar 2, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tubby - Jul 25, 2019

85 by gorkoo »»
Jan 23, 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.