Forum Settings
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 27, 2019 3:58 PM
Aug 2014
As Vertical Inc releases their physical prints as an omnibus consisting of three volumes per book, combining them makes sense.

I am not very fond of the main characters but I think I can understand them. Togame's personality is a bit too dry while Shichika is too simple-minded. But it's nothing too major.

The English translation does a good job but the Japanese versions have too much world play and overall difficult nuances to translate efficiently. Nisio Isin's works are on another level, even if this is presumably among his weaker light novels.

As for the work itself, I am enjoying it. I like that the action sequences consist of fighting and strategies. The strategies display a level of thought put into the fights and they match well to the respective opponents. The third opponent, especially. The entire segment consisted of strategies unique to match her personality and atmosphere exuded by her.
Sep 19, 2020 2:51 PM

Jul 2017
It may just be me, but I was a bit disappointed with these volumes, and in general, the writing from NISIOISIN. Especially compared to not only his other book series like Zaregoto and Monogatari, but the Katanagatari anime too.

In regards to Zaregoto and Monogatari, while Zaregoto has volumes where its great and volumes where its so awkward and slow and tedious at times, at least there was something to its writing that felt authentic and raw. Katanagatari unlike those 2 series has its own distinct setting with a clear objective, but doesn't really have the spirit and charm that Zaregoto and Monogatari have. The books don't offer really good interactions, lacks personality and genuinely feels like it was way too stretched out without much meta commentary offered to somewhat make it work.

I even prefer the Katanagatari anime since while it's slow and can get tiring at times, the interactions feel a lot more personal and lively, and dialogue connects much better here. The novels don't really offer that special bond that the anime is able to deliver since the anime feels more natural and the novels feel too stiff and even dull at times.

I still like the concept of the story, the characters are alright (Shichika was good in the anime but just comes across as really meh here, especially seeing how NISIOISIN was able to pull of 2 really interesting protagonists in Koyomi and Boku from Monogatari and Zaregoto respectively). Togame's anime version was also way better.

The artstyle from Take is also fucking beautiful, and the content for each volume is still solid (especially how NISIOISIN managed to describe the action sequences).

But it just feels less captivating and more bland than what it could have been, especially seeing how the anime managed to do a much better job here.

The books I'd give a 5-6 so far, compared to the anime's 8.

P.S: Meisai Tsuruga still goated, and easily was the shining star in the 3 volumes for me.
animejasSep 19, 2020 2:55 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Chapter 55 Discussion

TitanInsane - Apr 1, 2022

1 by DOKE__HYOU »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:59 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Chapter 51 Discussion

DOKE__HYOU - Mar 7, 2023

0 by DOKE__HYOU »»
Mar 7, 2023 9:55 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Volume 4-6 Discussion

GiantQAACSleier - Jul 29, 2019

1 by animejas »»
Sep 28, 2020 10:45 AM

» Finally licensed by Vertical

Draconix814 - Mar 31, 2018

5 by Draconix814 »»
Dec 9, 2018 10:13 PM

» Katanagatari novel translation started

vay78357 - Jan 28, 2011

1 by WitchJacqueline »»
Sep 26, 2016 6:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.