Forum Settings
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 20, 2019 5:08 PM
Nov 2016
As the title says I am in the middle of volume four and something is bothering me. I love the world of this novel and I think the dungeon and Familia system is awesome and unique but as of right now the story seems pretty simple and only focused on Bell. Now that he is starting to build a party and thinking about moving to the middle levels I was starting to think the story was picking up but then I realized something about his level scaling mechanic. Since bell levels up so fast, doesn't that mean that it will be literally impossible for him to party up with other people? Even now his newest party member struggles with orcs while Bell, on the other hand, can apparently one-shot dragons. I was really hoping things would get more complicated like new friends and enemies that have reasonable power levels start popping up, seeing as this series has 15 volumes, but it seems like it's just going to be all about Bell and his growth hacks. As of right now, I see no goal for the series. We all know Bell is probably never going to end up with Aiez(?) and that seems to be kind of a weak arbitrary motivation anyway. Basically what i'm asking is does the story stay on a linear path or does it get more complicated? If it stays the same that's fine, but I might want to read something else for a while. I'm sure I sound like a snob and some might tell me to just read and find out, but I should mention that I am reading the novels in Japanese so it is more of a time investment than if I was reading a translation. The content is easy to read but I read kinda slow compared to English.
Aug 29, 2019 4:42 PM
Jun 2016
Well, I'm a month late, but since no one eles did yet I'll awnser your question.

So what I have to tell you is for you to just keep reading. It'll get more complicated, don't worry about that. It'll awnser below to the aspects you mentioned in more detail.

Having read 13 volumes so far I can tell you that you don't need to sorry about all of that. Where I'm at now he's still weaker than the top levels we know so far (like Aiz, Fin, that guy that is always with Freya), so the problem of him being unable to be part of a party isn't a problem so far. He keeps getting stronger really fast but the pace has been slowing down the higher he is, increasing more the time span there is untill the story might reach that problem.
Things will get more complicated, there will be new characters introduced to the story, including characters somewhere, powerwise, in between Bell and the strongest adventures of Orario (some on the side of the Bell, some against him, and some somewhat neutral as well). The rest of the support cast will also have it's time to get the focus they deserve, but the main focus of the story in general will still be Bell.
So far it's still unknown if Bell will end up with Aiz or not (we'll have to wait untill he's at her powerlevel), but what I can tell you, without going into details, is that Bell grows as a person throughout the series, and also gains new reasons to need to become stronger, gains new goals to fuel his ambitions. It'll eventually not be only for of his love for a girl but also for other things that he'll strive to be stronger.

Well, as a great fan of this series I hope this'll help you decide to keep reading DanMachi ;P
Aug 12, 2022 12:52 AM

Jul 2019
Tuvokfan said:
As the title says I am in the middle of volume four and something is bothering me. I love the world of this novel and I think the dungeon and Familia system is awesome and unique but as of right now the story seems pretty simple and only focused on Bell. Now that he is starting to build a party and thinking about moving to the middle levels I was starting to think the story was picking up but then I realized something about his level scaling mechanic. Since bell levels up so fast, doesn't that mean that it will be literally impossible for him to party up with other people? Even now his newest party member struggles with orcs while Bell, on the other hand, can apparently one-shot dragons. I was really hoping things would get more complicated like new friends and enemies that have reasonable power levels start popping up, seeing as this series has 15 volumes, but it seems like it's just going to be all about Bell and his growth hacks. As of right now, I see no goal for the series. We all know Bell is probably never going to end up with Aiez(?) and that seems to be kind of a weak arbitrary motivation anyway. Basically what i'm asking is does the story stay on a linear path or does it get more complicated? If it stays the same that's fine, but I might want to read something else for a while. I'm sure I sound like a snob and some might tell me to just read and find out, but I should mention that I am reading the novels in Japanese so it is more of a time investment than if I was reading a translation. The content is easy to read but I read kinda slow compared to English.
Did you end up continuing DanMachi?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 18 Discussion

NaughtySempai - Apr 3, 2023

2 by skyhei1995 »»
Apr 20, 2:28 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka Volume 2 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Sep 1, 2014

3 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Feb 22, 8:28 AM

» How many more volumes?

RealityChanges - Aug 13, 2023

1 by majin_mark505 »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 17 Discussion

Syureria - Jul 7, 2021

2 by NaughtySempai »»
Mar 15, 2023 12:38 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 16 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Sep 15, 2021

1 by Playcool »»
Aug 17, 2022 4:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.