Forum Settings
Forums
Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 24, 2019 3:56 PM
Feb 2016
Loved it,even though its not better than Kimi no Na wa.For some reason like the Plot that easily to read,the story that are little bit cliche but i loved it really really loved it !
Aug 24, 2019 10:00 PM
Apr 2019
Wi_Vi said:
ArcturusMi said:

To answer your questions...
1. I think it's both. The consequence of Hina overexerting her own prayers (instead of conveying other people's many prayers) + it's against the "divine decree" that some parts of Tokyo must be drowned

2. He understands that he (and Hina) must be responsible, as an adult. It's hinted at various times, especially the time he cried when he learned Hina is actually younger than him, i thought it's just him being childishly insecure of liking girls older than him, but then I remember throughout the film, Hina is the one who acts like the elder one, instead of Hodoka. He feels that they should live with the consequences of their actions to stay, that Tokyo is waterworld now.

Also on Kimi No Na Wa part, it really bugs me. Its ending sets at 2021-2022 while Tenki No Ko ends in 2022.The Tokyo in Kimi No Na Wa is bright as hell under the sunshine, the rain isn't heavy and it only occurred during the night where Taki almost met Mitsuha. But i find it funny when I remember Taki Itomori-influenced motivation for being an architect in Tokyo, "we don't know when Tokyo will be destroyed, right? So I'll make a monument that's memorable to be remembered" well what happened?

Just watched it today, and personally liked it a whole lot. I would like to chip in on some of the questions asked.

Anyways, I liked this movie a WHOLE lot. I actually quite enjoyed their soundtracks. Personal favorite vocal OST would be We'll Be Alright
Personal favorite non-vocal OST would be Fireworks Display.
I felt that the music here was more "toned down" to suit the movie more. I don't think that we can compare Kimi no Nawa with this movie often. I feel that most come into this movie (including myself) expecting perhaps some plotline similar to that of Makoto's previous works. I think that one could enjoy the movie much more gong into it expecting a completely new universe and a completely new cast and whatnot.

Anyways, I felt this movie was more realistic in it's romance aspect, considering that the characters were more often together than in "Your Name".
As a standalone movie, it's honestly really great. I really liked the contrast they did with:

I also really liked how they not only fleshed out the characters, but they did the same for the environment, showcasing a large part of Tokyo.
Overall, I felt this movie was exceptionally good. On the other hand, if you've went into the cinemas constantly comparing this title with "Your Name", then you might not enjoy it as much.

So it's set in 2021,that definitely explains the cameos (is Taki wearing polo or HS uniform tho?)

I still feel the romance in Your Name is still better. Even it has several depth for the initial subplot, like, why Mitsuha can get all chatty with Taki's senpai (because they're around the same age) and another reason why Taki likes Mitsuha (he's into older girls).

Taki and Mitsuha relationship is pretty common for friends who turned into lovers, playful fighting, petty insults, and heck, it also has the tinder date vibes in that they never actually met in person but is really in touch with each other.

Hodoka and Hina.... Is pretty weak, hence i mentioned it being similar to Garden of Words' romance, but kinda worse. I feel their screentime is pretty abysmal, since they have to share the spotlight with Kei, Natsumi, Nagi, and first human antagonist, Police Josuke. Hodoka is... just there ogling Hina then develops a crush.... just because? And Hina didn't show any hint of reciprocal, but suddenly in the hotel she acts like a lover to Hodoka. Top that with how the film can't make me get attached to the couple.
Aug 25, 2019 12:50 AM
Mar 2018
ArcturusMi said:
Wi_Vi said:

Just watched it today, and personally liked it a whole lot. I would like to chip in on some of the questions asked.

Anyways, I liked this movie a WHOLE lot. I actually quite enjoyed their soundtracks. Personal favorite vocal OST would be We'll Be Alright
I felt that the music here was more "toned down" to suit the movie more. I don't think that we can compare Kimi no Nawa with this movie often. I feel that most come into this movie (including myself) expecting perhaps some plotline similar to that of Makoto's previous works. I think that one could enjoy the movie much more gong into it expecting a completely new universe and a completely new cast and whatnot.

Anyways, I felt this movie was more realistic in it's romance aspect, considering that the characters were more often together than in "Your Name".
As a standalone movie, it's honestly really great. I really liked the contrast they did with:

I also really liked how they not only fleshed out the characters, but they did the same for the environment, showcasing a large part of Tokyo.
Overall, I felt this movie was exceptionally good. On the other hand, if you've went into the cinemas constantly comparing this title with "Your Name", then you might not enjoy it as much.

So it's set in 2021,that definitely explains the cameos (is Taki wearing polo or HS uniform tho?)

I still feel the romance in Your Name is still better. Even it has several depth for the initial subplot, like, why Mitsuha can get all chatty with Taki's senpai (because they're around the same age) and another reason why Taki likes Mitsuha (he's into older girls).

Taki and Mitsuha relationship is pretty common for friends who turned into lovers, playful fighting, petty insults, and heck, it also has the tinder date vibes in that they never actually met in person but is really in touch with each other.

Hodoka and Hina.... Is pretty weak, hence i mentioned it being similar to Garden of Words' romance, but kinda worse. I feel their screentime is pretty abysmal, since they have to share the spotlight with Kei, Natsumi, Nagi, and first human antagonist, Police Josuke. Hodoka is... just there ogling Hina then develops a crush.... just because? And Hina didn't show any hint of reciprocal, but suddenly in the hotel she acts like a lover to Hodoka. Top that with how the film can't make me get attached to the couple.

Well, I felt that the romance in here was more believable. In this movie, Hina and Hodaka are constantly together, and it's shown clearly that Hodaka was a big impact in Hina's life in the fireworks scene. It could also be argued that Hina began to like Hodaka for the exact same reasons that Hodaka had for liking Hina. Despite that, I felt that the romance for both (or in general ALL) of Makoto Shinkai's movies were done amazingly and very well.

Aug 25, 2019 1:44 AM
Apr 2019
Wi_Vi said:
ArcturusMi said:

Well, I felt that the romance in here was more believable. In this movie, Hina and Hodaka are constantly together, and it's shown clearly that Hodaka was a big impact in Hina's life in the fireworks scene. It could also be argued that Hina began to like Hodaka for the exact same reasons that Hodaka had for liking Hina. Despite that, I felt that the romance for both (or in general ALL) of Makoto Shinkai's movies were done amazingly and very well.

Ehh, Hodoka just introduced her to the 100% sunshine business. His interactions with Hina outside him doing a crush-peek is mostly about their business. Then in the love hotel they're all intimate. Though, again this may because i can't seem to get attached to Hodoka (i even forgot his name when i got home).

Taki and Mitsuha relationship is summed through the Zenzenzense montage, small snippets, but they're ironically more believable (since that kind of relationship DO happens between friends that become lovers).

I can see why some reviews refer to Your Name, since the base theme, star crossed lover, is also present there.

5cm isn't about star crossed lovers, but instead, separation.

Garden of Words romance only happens later, the earlier part is admiration then platonic, before becoming a romance, so it can be excused if their romantic development isn't polished.... But the couple there does have a reason to love each other, Takao helps Yukari 'to walk again' while telling her to stand up for herself, while Yukari helps Takao in getting recognition in terms of his shoemaking dream. They're part of each other's emotional growth. Hodoka and Hina lacks that mutual approach...

About the cameo... Yeah, guess Shinkai just refer to Taki's most memorable clothing when designing his look. Can't have him in a business suit during a visit on his grandma.
Aug 25, 2019 8:23 AM

Apr 2013
For now, I like this more than Kimi no Na wa. Although Kimi no Na wa has better story and music, I found Tenki no Ko duo more interesting than Kimi no Na wa's. Makoto Shinkai's films always deliver because it utilize all the things you would like to feel when seeing a movie in a cinema; memorable ost, stunning dynamic graphics, grounded yet a bit dramatic story and characters you have feelings for.
Aug 25, 2019 5:19 PM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned

I think things haven't been clear concerning spoilers. If you haven't watched the movie, you shouldn't be posting in this discussion thread. Episode discussions are supposed to be for people who have already seen the anime and want to talk about it so there's no need for spoiler tags unless you mention the original work or a related anime.

Two other issues I've seen in this thread:
1. Anime Series Discussion Rule 2: Please do not post episode summaries, they do not encourage conversation. Add your own thoughts on the episode/movie.
2. Any post asking where to watch or posting copyrighted, non-fair use material (streaming website, torrents, etc.) will be removed. See the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2019 2:18 AM

Aug 2019
ArcturusMi said:

To answer your questions...
1. I think it's both. The consequence of Hina overexerting her own prayers (instead of conveying other people's many prayers) + it's against the "divine decree" that some parts of Tokyo must be drowned

2. He understands that he (and Hina) must be responsible, as an adult. It's hinted at various times, especially the time he cried when he learned Hina is actually younger than him, i thought it's just him being childishly insecure of liking girls older than him, but then I remember throughout the film, Hina is the one who acts like the elder one, instead of Hodoka. He feels that they should live with the consequences of their actions to stay, that Tokyo is waterworld now.

Also on Kimi No Na Wa part, it really bugs me. Its ending sets at 2021-2022 while Tenki No Ko ends in 2022.The Tokyo in Kimi No Na Wa is bright as hell under the sunshine, the rain isn't heavy and it only occurred during the night where Taki almost met Mitsuha. But i find it funny when I remember Taki Itomori-influenced motivation for being an architect in Tokyo, "we don't know when Tokyo will be destroyed, right? So I'll make a monument that's memorable to be remembered" well what happened?

Wi_Vi said:

Hmm... I thought I was just missing something during the viewing but it seems like those 2 scenes are kept somewhat vague by Shinkai to let everyone do their own interpretation.

Also interesting to know that the movie is actually set forward 2 years in the future, as Shinkai usually keep his movies related to the release year unless the settings require otherwise.
Then the whole Taki & Mitsuha meetup being spiced up by Hina's prayer might not be that unintentional.

I can agree on the RADWIMPS insert songs being great, but I feel like some of the other OSTs just shared the same chord progressions and syncopations as some of the soundtracks from Your Name.

If I had one suggestion to the storytelling it might be
Aug 27, 2019 5:25 AM
Mar 2012
Got your beautiful rain & trains, sharing some Shinkai elements with his previous works, bit familiar yet fresh. Animation especially on characters feels improved from Your Name.
YN had much tighter plot & coherent mythology with awesome osts, at times pacing went too fast (or maybe was tired that time). Weathering I think is easier for casual/family watch, having normal pacing with Shinkai's fast montages, ok action, and more slow scenery wide shots (perhaps too long for some viewers, but I liked the time to breath, think over the plot & enjoy the awesome sun & rain effects).

The rain maiden mythology, transparent fish & cloud pasture, overall were more vague, lots of potential but unexplained. The dumb cop trope/subplot while funny & a means for action, could be replaced for more supernatural explanation. Taki's granny, as a client of Sunshine Girl, gave useful background & Tokyo's past. The random grandpa under the Water Dragon mural however, just infodumps rain maiden for a long long time (was Kei's interviewee for their tabloid).

I get the sceneries suit the themes of the greater city/climate, events larger than the mc's lives, or insignificance/smallness of humans under turbulent nature. But quite a few action framings were unusually wide, and loses that emotional intensity. Instead of focus on Hodaka's face or legs, we mostly see the entire ship/deck when he's nearly swept off. And the scene where he climbs up the external stairs toward the shrine was super far wide shot, nearly diffused all the tension built up with the cops & Kei.

There's 3+? inserts. First was nice but vocals slightly conflicted with characters talking. Grand Escape during the flying clouds was fabulous, tho they skipped my main curiosity of how they'll prevent a freefall death back to the shrine. I guess they slowly float down, like how Hina slowly floated up in everyone's shared dream.

Hodaka & Hina: Quite vague family backgrounds than YN, but since our pair were together longer with more overall comedy, it's just lots of fun with them. Hodaka a poor runaway trying to make it big in a cold city, with teenage desires, full of mistakes & regret, makes it easy to relate his motivations. Hina playing the fake oneesan with smug face was tons of fun, and fueled their character dynamics when Hodaka later felt responsibility as eldest hit him like a truck after his arrest.

Nagi: probably the swaggest harem otouto senpai ever. His hidden intro as random boy in the bus meeting HanaKana & Ayaneru girls was hilarious. That trick the cop-babysitter & crossdress swap plan was epic too. These three really deserve more screentime.

Natsumi: the real oneesan. Since Okudera in YN, Shinkai upped the oneesan support for mc. Most sides had pretty good VAing, but her's was particularly natural, and smug.

Kei: Along with Hodaka, I'm quite glad Shinkai made extremely flawed & selfish characters, instead of the usual save-everyone idealistic bland mc. Both wanted rain to stop, even after knowing Hina would be sacrificed. Kei even straight up said one sacrifice to fix the weather is better. And his motivation for stopping Hodaka under the shrine was to keep sunny days to meet his asthma daughter. Somewhere during that standoff he switched to help Hodaka. I'm guessing his deceased wife got thru him.

While the main pair was decent, the side characters really shined compared to YN. They're all strong characters who could easily get sidestories, or more crossovers with Taki & Mitsuha. Interesting Weathering's now #9 on Japan's film boxoffice ranking.
Aug 27, 2019 6:56 AM

Dec 2015
The last part of the movie was the embodiment of that "ya'll are going to jail, PERIOD" reaction video.
But fr though, that whole last section from the police chase and onwards was too unbelievably convenient.

I honestly thought that the whole movie was going to be a metaphor about climate change and how we should stop exploiting the environment for personal gain otherwise we're all gonna die but that ending just threw out any thematic complexities it had going on. Like, if Shinkai didn't try to fit the plot of this movie into the structure of Your Name, then undoubtedly, more its key ideas could have been fleshed out.

The movie was overall just aight tho. The visuals and soundtrack were on point and that first half that centred around the sunshine girl business was great.
THATS-NOT-GAUCHEAug 27, 2019 12:06 PM
Aug 27, 2019 7:42 AM
Dec 2018
gophercg said:
Got your beautiful rain & trains, sharing some Shinkai elements with his previous works, bit familiar yet fresh. Animation especially on characters feels improved from Your Name.
YN had much tighter plot & coherent mythology with awesome osts, at times pacing went too fast (or maybe was tired that time). Weathering I think is easier for casual/family watch, having normal pacing with Shinkai's fast montages, ok action, and more slow scenery wide shots (perhaps too long for some viewers, but I liked the time to breath, think over the plot & enjoy the awesome sun & rain effects).

The rain maiden mythology, transparent fish & cloud pasture, overall were more vague, lots of potential but unexplained. The dumb cop trope/subplot while funny & a means for action, could be replaced for more supernatural explanation. Taki's granny, as a client of Sunshine Girl, gave useful background & Tokyo's past. The random grandpa under the Water Dragon mural however, just infodumps rain maiden for a long long time (was Kei's interviewee for their tabloid).

I get the sceneries suit the themes of the greater city/climate, events larger than the mc's lives, or insignificance/smallness of humans under turbulent nature. But quite a few action framings were unusually wide, and loses that emotional intensity. Instead of focus on Hodaka's face or legs, we mostly see the entire ship/deck when he's nearly swept off. And the scene where he climbs up the external stairs toward the shrine was super far wide shot, nearly diffused all the tension built up with the cops & Kei.

There's 3+? inserts. First was nice but vocals slightly conflicted with characters talking. Grand Escape during the flying clouds was fabulous, tho they skipped my main curiosity of how they'll prevent a freefall death back to the shrine. I guess they slowly float down, like how Hina slowly floated up in everyone's shared dream.

Hodaka & Hina: Quite vague family backgrounds than YN, but since our pair were together longer with more overall comedy, it's just lots of fun with them. Hodaka a poor runaway trying to make it big in a cold city, with teenage desires, full of mistakes & regret, makes it easy to relate his motivations. Hina playing the fake oneesan with smug face was tons of fun, and fueled their character dynamics when Hodaka later felt responsibility as eldest hit him like a truck after his arrest.

Nagi: probably the swaggest harem otouto senpai ever. His hidden intro as random boy in the bus meeting HanaKana & Ayaneru girls was hilarious. That trick the cop-babysitter & crossdress swap plan was epic too. These three really deserve more screentime.

Natsumi: the real oneesan. Since Okudera in YN, Shinkai upped the oneesan support for mc. Most sides had pretty good VAing, but her's was particularly natural, and smug.

Kei: Along with Hodaka, I'm quite glad Shinkai made extremely flawed & selfish characters, instead of the usual save-everyone idealistic bland mc. Both wanted rain to stop, even after knowing Hina would be sacrificed. Kei even straight up said one sacrifice to fix the weather is better. And his motivation for stopping Hodaka under the shrine was to keep sunny days to meet his asthma daughter. Somewhere during that standoff he switched to help Hodaka. I'm guessing his deceased wife got thru him.

While the main pair was decent, the side characters really shined compared to YN. They're all strong characters who could easily get sidestories, or more crossovers with Taki & Mitsuha. Interesting Weathering's now #9 on Japan's film boxoffice ranking.

We didn't really get to see Hodoka's reason aside from chasing a sunray from his dream.

Suga suddenly changed side only after Hodoka fired the damn gun, even though Hodoka's resolve before that is apparent.

Funny that they're parallels of each other, bound by their rings.
Aug 27, 2019 8:12 AM
Jan 2018
Alcor_The_Faint said:
Suga suddenly changed side only after Hodoka fired the damn gun, even though Hodoka's resolve before that is apparent.

This was built up when the old police searched his house. The police said Hodoka was foolish to throw his life away for a girl, and Suga teared up
Aug 27, 2019 8:56 AM
Dec 2018
rocky_blue said:
Alcor_The_Faint said:

This was built up when the old police searched his house. The police said Hodoka was foolish to throw his life away for a girl, and Suga teared up

The police said it on the abandoned building or K&A agency?
Aug 27, 2019 3:18 PM

Sep 2013
It seems I have similar thoughts with every Makoto Shinkai movie. They never really strike any emotional cords with me but look really pretty. The movie was okay, I did have a lot of appreciation for the attention to detail, and there were a few scenes I liked. Such as the montage scene of the sunshine girl doing her work and when everyone helped the main guy get away from the police. The music was really great too. Overall though, the movie didn’t leave much of an impression on me. 5/10
Aug 28, 2019 4:36 AM

Mar 2013
It showed on our cinemas this day only aug 28 it was a blast its really good 10/10
Aug 28, 2019 6:25 AM
Dec 2009
Saw the movie earlier, and I am personally not if I'd give it a 9 or a 10. Enjoyment-wise I would have to say it's easily a 10/10, but if I consider some parts of the story being too similar to Kimi no Na wa, and plot convenience I would have to say it's not perfect. It was a great film overall and there were some tears during the confession part.

Although I already saw it coming, Mitsuha and Taki's cameos were a nice cherry on top. Everyone in the theater was hyped for those scenes.
HexcellionAug 28, 2019 6:42 AM
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Aug 28, 2019 6:30 AM

Jan 2018
this contains massive spoilers read at risk

what I really hate about this was nothing related to the movie. IT'S JUST THAT SOME ASSHOLE SCREAMED A SPOILER AND RAN AWAY WTF.
Aug 28, 2019 11:43 PM

Oct 2015
Pretty good movie. I liked the cameos by Taki and Mitsuha.

Animation was superb as always, soundtrack as well.

Character development could have been handled better. I would love to see more of Keisuke, Hodaka and Hina's backstories.

Aug 29, 2019 1:52 AM
Aug 2019
Kinda a stupid question but is Hina still a virgin?
Aug 29, 2019 4:37 AM

May 2018
Animation was top notch no doubt

The story is realistic but what I didn't like about was the near ending part when Hodaka becames edgy as f**k

Overall it's good

9/10
Aug 29, 2019 6:33 AM
Oct 2016
Saw the movie today.

The romance was nice, but I feel like the movie delivers quite a thoughtful message about climate change (or some of the philosophy underlying it).

My take on Hodoka's attempt at justifying sinking Tokyo underwater was encapsulated beautifully by the old grandma's comment. Paraphrasing, it was along the lines of : the world is crazy. We always consider our present moment to be "normal" and try our hardest to keep it that way, but this is always in flux.

Spoilers: [spoiler] she used the analogy of Tokyo being a bay, underwater 200 years ago, and isn't this new weather event simply a reversion to earlier times? Why should it be so unusual, why should we place all the blame on a single girl? [/spolier]

Similarly, a (valid) argument against our meddling in climate change is similar - the world's climate is constantly evolving. Even now, the Earth is currently in the interglacial period of an Ice Age -- many years ago, our Earth was much warmer than our current climate (and projected future forcasts). The world is always changing. "Normal" is a value judgement made by people - but the Earth, our weather, nature, outlasts the span of a human lifetime and should be above judgement by human standards.

However, Hodoka's ultimate conclusion is that he has made a choice. He chooses to save Hina, and thus, he reinserts himself into the narrative as someone who can impact even something as enormous as nature. Which is like what people are doing these days - we quite egoistically believe that one person's actions, done deliberately, can change the world (like every Hollywood film ever).

Anyway, I found Hodoka's character very interesting. His selfishness was intriguing to analyse in an era where heroes are commonly selfless/altruistic. All the side characters were well developed. Nagi was my favourite overall. I enjoyed this more than Kimi no Na Wa (maybe because I love clouds so so much? the cinema did a great job with the sound, I swear I could feel the cold air blowing off from the screen!)
Aug 30, 2019 3:09 AM

Aug 2015
I just watch movie today with first slot of theatres, soonest airing time in my country and that made me proud.
The movie Tenki no Ko (Weathering With You) made I thought this have tragedy in the end when the first time I heard the movie from Shinkai Makoto. But thanks god and author, the movie don't have it.
Without TRAGEDY of main couple Tenki no Ko warning audience the pollution of enviroment overheat of the earth and etc make disaster, unusual weather... can happen in future.
Weathering With You better than I expect with no tragedy with the meaning so result score....
is 10/10
Aug 30, 2019 9:48 PM

Jan 2018
I got the opportunity to watch it in our theaters. And, boy oh boy, I'm in for a treat.

> Shinkai's art as always breathtaking and stunning.
> Taki and Mitsuha's cameo appearance got the audience giggling and screaming.
> Nagi's a ladies' man. I will also call him Senpai.
> A little action-type happened and the animation was consistent. Liked that.
> That scene with Keisuke and Hodaka... Man, it was emotional.

To the guy who gave it a 5: True, no one cried. But, we laughed, clapped, and had a fun experience.

Quick edit: It literally reminded me back in 5 Centimeters per Second. But, in a good way.
Aug 31, 2019 2:20 AM

Dec 2014
Watched on opening night in Australian Cinemas, awesome experience. Definitely not Kimi no na wa 2 so don't ruin it by hoping it lives up to that standard. Was quite surprised by the lack of people seeing on the opening night, with the lack of people I felt like I was the only person in the cinema to realise Taki and Mitsuha but who knows, it was the second screening that day so maybe they all went to the first??
ruarifinnAug 31, 2019 2:24 AM
Aug 31, 2019 4:32 AM
May 2016
I already watched the movie, but i think i'm expecting a better plot of the story, i think there's a something missing piece in the story :)
Aug 31, 2019 4:45 AM
Jan 2019
well the animation and art is good like Kimi no Na wa but I'm disappointed to see the CGI effect when the dragon appears.
the story is well made but the ending was disappointing just like happened in Kimi no Na wa again when they meet again and nothing happened (just a little kiss I'm fine but just a hug?)
it was sad but didn't cry the part when she is gone and when they meet again or when he is in an intense moment with police in the old building
well it was fun to see how the two idiots doing their job well they are just kid but I never expect to know she lied to her age
the Tokyo flooded in 2021(if I'm correct) was not impossible if global warming continues and end like Venice but the thing I don't understand how it was possible to continue their job in that situation? (I know there is a possible explanation but how about the door and entrance? and does the building can still stand on that flood?)
the story is well made or base in a mystical or real-life event.
so how long did he run from that rail train? like a half mile?
I'm glad to see our main characters from Kimi no Na wa
are they promoting McDonald and Olympic 2020? and did she stop the rain for the Olympic opening?
Aug 31, 2019 4:50 AM
Jan 2019
goodguymax said:
Kinda a stupid question but is Hina still a virgin?

from prospective
Aug 31, 2019 5:24 AM

Apr 2018
Well, in my opinion this was kind of over hyped. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoyed the film but the movie just gave a lot of plot holes which is pretty meh. The cameos of Taki and Mitsuha are pretty nice though Mitsuha barely did a thing in her cameo
Aug 31, 2019 6:44 PM

Oct 2015
It was okay I guess. Follows too much on the structure of Kimi no Na wa and the black screen transition is a bit overused. The cameo felt really forced too. Would have appreciated it if there wasn't too much of an emphasis on them. I also couldn't relate myself to the film which probably also affected my enjoyment of the film. The plot also reminds me of Uchiage Hanabi, which a lot of people seemed to hate. I feel like the against the world type of premise worked a lot better on that movie. In my opinion, Tenki no Ko did a lot better in developing the relationship between the main cast as well as having quirky supporting casts that complements the main characters. I'm not sure if it's just me but Hodaka's motivations to leave for Tokyo feels too ambiguous to me. I just don't get it at all. If only both of these movies managed to combine, it'd be a different story.
EGOISTAug 31, 2019 7:00 PM
Aug 31, 2019 11:51 PM

Nov 2015
I feel like the movie are too convenient and too forced
Sep 1, 2019 11:35 AM
May 2017
i just finished watching it 2nd time. It was a great film and so beautiful that even looking at the beauty of it makes my eyes teary.
THank u Makoto Shinkai
Sep 1, 2019 5:43 PM

Sep 2018
Your Name cast have cameo! I love the song "Is There Still Anything That Love Can Do?" Radwimps always make a good song <3 The guy's effort is on the highest level, I salute him for that.. I love the hype scene.. (when they meet) I love the aerial view animation, especially the fireworks!! overall it's good but can't help but compare it to Your Name (they have same vibe) and for me, Your Name is still the best.
Sep 1, 2019 6:22 PM

Nov 2007
I love it!

The ending was really great! For once, they chose themselves! Not sacrificing anybody for everyone. <3
Sep 3, 2019 4:08 AM
Jul 2018
I've just come back from cinema. The visual are absolutely total perfect outstanding (I love it, can't find a word to describe lol) but the plot are pretty average. Also, I was a bit disappointed to see Taki and Mitsuha appearing in different and standalone scenes, come on, I want to see them together.

Art & Visual: 11/10
Music: 9.5/10
Plot: 5.5/10
Sep 4, 2019 6:09 AM

Feb 2014
One VS The World. To sum up this movie shows how life is valued for every being and what it holds for each of them. The plot starts with the usual life of Tokyo, how hard it is to live by in the city with dreams. With all the twists and turns in the story, we are taken for a ride that swirls us to live up every emotion on the screen.
Makoto Shinkai breaks every trend he has ever done in his films from breaking the age gap par on the characters to the breaking of what is to be destined. As they say, 'Birds of a feather , flock together', it revs up the development on the characters by pairing them up to be made as one. He also gives visage to various things that influenced him into the creation of this movie, one being the famous "Catcher in the Rye".
The animation on this movie is topnotch, all those POV's and scenarios make quite the impact while the BGM hits all the right spots to tingle the sensation to the mind.

To be honest this movie made me wonder how much can Shinkai improve much further to present us with such masterpieces. While watching this movie I happened to even hear people shedding tears on the actions and emotions spent out by the characters, which I've only witnessed on the Endgame movie till date. Truly an amazing movie, worth every penny. I also hope this movie does get selected for the Oscar nominations which its predecessor couldn't achieve.
10 out of 10.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 7, 2019 8:44 AM

May 2016
I have barely managed to watch the movie exactly one day before a week hits even when I was already 10 minutes late because of the weather screwing with me just a few minutes before I started going for the cinemas, not to mention how bad it did me dirty the day before by devastating my perfectly planned schedule to atoms. My first few minutes of watching practically being a McDonald's commercial caught me off guard but I enjoyed the movie a lot.

I may have a bias towards Kimi no Na Wa since that was my first Shinkai film and definitely the best one I'll be watching from him but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie in every aspect I can think of despite that. The movie might've gone really quick for me and I initially thought that it won't be very memorable but here I am 4 days later and counting recalling everything in the film despite everything else I did and been through this week~

It was awesome to see that Taki and Mitsuha were so close to each other happily living their own lives despite never getting to meet until really long after! If Your Name and Weathering with You's set in the same universe, I can't help but wonder if Shinkai's other works are like that as well since I haven't watched any of it yet.

If I was in the privacy of my own home I would've teared up several times especially at the climax where they reunite with each other but I didn't except for the scene where Hina showed how severe her condition is to Hodaka in the hotel because it was that sad for me. It was a surprise to see that instead of the usual tragic loss after sharing a love like no other, they decided to choose each other first regardless of what happens to the world around them. While it's usually the rational choice to undo that whole mess, I wouldn't go as far as to force them to do that since putting me in a similar situation would've made me do the same.

Sep 7, 2019 9:27 AM
Jun 2014
don't really care about people said about this movie. I enjoyed watching it and the feeling that i get after watching this was cant even compare to other generic holywood movies.

Sep 7, 2019 10:56 PM

Mar 2007
Enjoyable film overall, but it's definitely missing something that I enjoyed from Shinkai's earlier works like Byousoku 5cm or even Kotonoha no Niwa.

7/10

Anime film of the year was taken anyway.
Sep 8, 2019 3:53 AM

May 2013
Unpopular Opinion but I like this more than Kimi no Nawa.

The Art was incredible 10/10
Sep 8, 2019 10:49 AM

Nov 2009
YamEnele said:
Your Name cast have cameo!

Kajo_Senpai69 said:

It was awesome to see that Taki and Mitsuha were so close to each other happily living their own lives despite never getting to meet until really long after! If Your Name and Weathering with You's set in the same universe, I can't help but wonder if Shinkai's other works are like that as well since I haven't watched any of it yet.

-I-V-E-R- said:
I've just come back from cinema. The visual are absolutely total perfect outstanding (I love it, can't find a word to describe lol) but the plot are pretty average. Also, I was a bit disappointed to see Taki and Mitsuha appearing in different and standalone scenes, come on, I want to see them together.

Actually, there are the cameo of other character from Your Name beside Taki and Mitsuha. They appear as random characters commenting on the weather. I managed to see Yotsuha, Sayaka and Katsuhiko on my first watch.

Sep 8, 2019 12:20 PM

Aug 2013
The only advise I have is to not think too deep into the logic. Just enjoy the story and movie as it is.
I've just binge through Kimi no Nawa I saved for years and went to watch Tenki no Ko in the cinema immediately after finishing it.

I've gotta say I enjoy both movies very much and just personal preference like this movie more.
The know what's their upper hand that is the art, animation and music. They got full scores on them all again.
I felt more bitter sweet and hollow watching Kimi no Nawa, but more heartwarming that puts a smile on my face for this movie.
It's just so satisfying to watch the movie, the only way I can express my feelings. Beautiful truly.
Sep 10, 2019 4:46 AM

Apr 2015
It's pretty good all around for me but, just one lingering question
Sep 10, 2019 11:44 AM

May 2012
-I-V-E-R- said:

Art & Visual: 11/10
Music: 9.5/10
Plot: 5.5/10

Totally agreed with this. While I absolutely love the visual and OST, the character background story and also the premise kinda meh i think. Also I feel like the male protagonist is a bit annoying eh ~ or its just me?
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Sep 10, 2019 4:23 PM
Jun 2019
The anime well, like expected, really really good. Like everything except for one thing. The plot, it suffer the same problem from Maquia, you had too many character to fit into an anime movie that is only almost 2 hour long (plot like this could be done but it had to be an really well made one so that in the end people still remember the main character), and also explain why people couldnt enjoy it as much as Kimi no nawa because remember they spend something like 65~70% of the entirety of the Kimi no nawa on Taki and Mitsuha, and other are really throwing in just as an supporting character. While Tenki no Ko, you get introduced to Suga and Natsumi and they play their role too big and kinda almost border line main character in the opening scene instead of Hina which kinda fail to capture the immersion, because when people goes to this anime they where expecting Hina and Hodaka to be together alot like in kimi no nawa not like this which had too many character to follow, then they even decide to go on and the explain sugu problem and why he help hodaka it's just too time consuming. My proposal to this was make it an second kimi no nawa and although a grimmer one but well just hear me out, so you had hodaka get captured by the police then send back home, but he then formulate a plan to get back to the shrine, he did and everything happen like in the movie,this would help to tighten the relationship it's technically play the "you never knew how valuable an object is until you lose it". The time span would be an month or two. With this you dont need to dig too deep into sugu and can possibly explain why hodaka left home, not just some vague explanation like the anime did and also able to show how depressing the situation was and the pain, and regret that he had to suffer in the time span that i suggested before. Not like in anime where he just sleep a night and then wake up then goes to the sky, the whole time he dont know whether it would work or not its basically only 4-6 hours so it's kinda does not show how much intensity of the pain and the regret there is. When comparing with Kimi no nawa, he had to find her and then realizing the whole area had blasted to oblivion, it just show scary it is and also mitsuha too had to find him only for him not to realize it.

on other aspect everything was better than kimi no nawa. except for the main song. Sparkle are better
Sep 10, 2019 6:45 PM
Jul 2019
Regardless of how the plot was written i was deeply intrigued and i enjoyed the film. Art was the best ive seen.
Sep 11, 2019 12:11 PM
Jun 2019
normiewatcher56 said:
Regardless of how the plot was written i was deeply intrigued and i enjoyed the film. Art was the best ive seen.

True tho, especially the moment when both hodaka and hina drop from the sky and the beat kick in (still get goosebumps when I hear that song)
Sep 12, 2019 2:10 AM
Jul 2019
Ponokasanto said:
normiewatcher56 said:

True tho, especially the moment when both hodaka and hina drop from the sky and the beat kick in (still get goosebumps when I hear that song)
same i had many goosebumps during that scene as well.
Sep 12, 2019 2:55 AM
Sep 2019
In Tenki no ko ending it had raining for 3 years straight and Tokyo was sinked also all the public transport were shut down but in Kimi no nawa ending we see that Taki and Mitsuha both were boarded light rail and the weather look nice and logically the stairs in the ending of Kimi no nawa was suppose to Sink too so what is this? What this suppose to mean? Taki and Mitsuha were in the movie in the early so it confirm that both of this movie is in the same universe but what happened? This really make me question...
Sep 14, 2019 3:12 AM

Apr 2013
"Sit down kids, let me tell you a story of how I flooded Tokyo by chasing after your mum." 😂
Sep 21, 2019 6:58 AM

Nov 2014
Just watched this in the theaters. Oh the song rolling in the credits is absolutely beautiful!

Ponokasanto said:

As a matter of fact, that's actually exactly what I find Tenki no Ko to have done better than Kimi no Na Wa. The primary focus still surrounds Hodaka and Hina, but we get glimpses into the stories and struggles of the supporting characters. Suga's backstory was only touched upon lightly for the most part, but it's really adds so much more depth to the story being told.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 30, 2019 12:28 PM

Oct 2008
Honestly, I don't know whether I like it more or less than Kimi no Na wa (Your Name) and I really liked Kimi no Na wa. Each of them have their ups and downs and each of them did something better than the other. For one, I really appreciated the atmosphere of Tenki no Ko. While Kimi no Na wa focused heavily on the two main protagonists, Tenki no Ko actually took some time to really flesh out the environment that the characters lived in and the people they interacted with. In addition to the fact that the weather played a huge part in the story, the background felt pushed to the foreground and that made the entire film feel more alive. Similarly, the side characters also played rather huge roles in the development of the main protagonists and that was a nice touch.

Ironically, while the world felt more expansive, the story itself was far smaller in scope than Kimi no Na wa's. There was no grand plot twist or truly apocalyptic disaster that was hanging in the balance. While the stakes were smaller, they certainly felt more personal. And that brings me to the ending. I actually really loved the ending. Like, WOW. It made me realize there and then in the cinema that in this day and age, happy endings were actually subversive. Yes, the protagonist actually said screw climate change, I want my girl. Perhaps that wasn't the message, but I though it took a ton of guts to say that in this day and age. A protagonist was actually rewarded for making a selfish decision and I'm really impressed. The protagonist's agency is restored and it prevents the film from being a mouthpiece. There was no preachy save the Earth message, no moralizing, no pontificating, it was pure, unadulterated love at the expense of everyone else. And while I may get flak for this, that's how I think it should be. At the end of the day, as selfless as we try to pretend to be, it's our own self-interests that take priority over everything else. Would I let the world burn (or drown) for a loved one? You bet I would.

And yes! Taki and Mitsuha are in this! I also loved the cameos of the Kimi no Na wa characters. Not sure how many people got those. And holy hell, speaking of cameos, WE HAD PRECURE CAMEOS!!! I nearly fell out of my chair. (O.0)
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

22 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
May 11, 7:30 AM

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» Everything wrong with Tenki no Ko

Atsunome - Mar 17, 2023

26 by Steph »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM

» Did anyone spotted Yotsuha Miyamizu (Mitsuha's little sister)????

IvenDOCson - Jun 17, 2021

5 by Dutch_Chief »»
Mar 11, 2023 4:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.