Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 4, 2019 6:50 AM
Jan 2018
The episode had some good moments but they were overshadowed by how they ruined one scene with how stupid they made it and how those relatives were unrealistically bad for no reason. God I hate shoujo tropes
May 4, 2019 7:07 AM

Nov 2016
Grandpa is such an adorable man.

I actually didn't know how to feel about this episode, it was on a good way, but as many have pointed out, adding the perspective of Yuki and Kyou took momentum. That said, luckily it didn't harm the final punch. The moment when the insert song kicked was damn powerful.

So yeah, still a great episode overall.

Tohru is my 🍙

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2019 7:08 AM
Mar 2010
shanimebib said:
The original had more gloom feel about it and it made me really depressed so I am glad that it lighted up the atmosphere a bit more.

Man, I am really loving this adaptation so far. Imagine if they actually followed the whole manga. This could easily become the best shoujo adaptation of all time!

I am preparing my kokoro for the coming episodes! This episode just touched the surface. I am ready to dive into the feels' river all over again! :')

Actually it has been advertzied as Zenpen, which means the whole story. So they are actually adapting the whole manga. Based on trailer footage they are way ahead in production, so let's hope the wait between seasons is not that long.
May 4, 2019 7:08 AM

Sep 2008
Animaniaig said:
The episode had some good moments but they were overshadowed by how they ruined one scene with how stupid they made it and how those relatives were unrealistically bad for no reason. God I hate shoujo tropes

It's actually not too far from reality within Japanese society due to their strong focus on group social structures like family or schools. Said structures are big on reputation, conformity, and public image. Anything that deviates from that is considered burdensome to the group as a whole and they treat it as if it's very bad on their status within society. Considering Kyoko's past reputation as a delinquent, assuming that Tohru could carry on her mother's bad traits from when she was a teenager is something that could actually happen in real life. Tohru's story is actually one of many you will see throughout Fruits Basket that explore the flaws of Japan's group mentality and having its characters learn to value themselves as individuals.
May 4, 2019 7:10 AM
Jan 2018
ggultra2764 said:
Animaniaig said:

It's actually not too far from reality within Japanese society due to their strong focus on group social structures like family or schools. Said structures are big on reputation, conformity, and public image. Anything that deviates from that is considered burdensome to the group as a whole and they treat it as if it's very bad on their status within society. Considering Kyoko's past reputation as a delinquent, assuming that Tohru could carry on her mother's bad traits from when she was a teenager is something that could actually happen in real life. Tohru's story is actually one of many you will see throughout Fruits Basket that explore the flaws of Japan's group mentality and having its characters learn to value themselves as individuals.

I meant that it's stupid that Kyou and Yuki tresspassed into a trainee police officer's home and assaulted him and nobody did anything mainly
May 4, 2019 7:15 AM

Sep 2008
Animaniaig said:

I meant that it's stupid that Kyou and Yuki tresspassed into a trainee police officer's home and assaulted him and nobody did anything mainly

Okay, I assumed you were talking about why the relatives were treating Tohru like crap and mistaking it as a typical anime trope. Yeah, I could see where some may think it feel too convenient that the boys came to Tohru's aid at that exact time.
May 4, 2019 7:18 AM
May 2016
As much as I enjoy the new extra scenes with Yuki and Kyo, I like the extra scenes, the pacing and buildup of the old anime better. This one (just like the manga) feels a bit rushed with everything happening in a single day.
May 4, 2019 7:39 AM

Aug 2013
This series is hitting me in the feels all over again with each episode. It reminded me how much Tohru's life was truly tragic and the struggle she went through to find her place in the world. This episode did just that plus the nostalgia feels. Man...Fruba...so good to have you back in my life.
Don't believe the hype.
May 4, 2019 7:39 AM

May 2008
Ah yes, my weekly crying session ;;u;;. I love how they've treated Fruits Basket so far.
May 4, 2019 9:13 AM

Jun 2013
God damn this episode! Left me so emotional, screw this anime.

Seriously though, I was surprised when Tohru was ready to leave after spending what? Half a day or less in her grampa's home, the old series left the impression that she stayed for a longer time so i wasn't expecting to feel so damn emotional by the time the entire episode was over. And that part with her mother...screw this anime.

So far though I'm enjoying this more than I was expecting.
May 4, 2019 9:57 AM

Apr 2011
I've been waiting for this episode after I started this new adaption. I think it was better compared to the old one. It's worth the wait indeed!

I really enjoyed this ep.

5/5

May 4, 2019 11:17 AM

Jun 2009
kellydantas said:
As much as I enjoy the new extra scenes with Yuki and Kyo, I like the extra scenes, the pacing and buildup of the old anime better. This one (just like the manga) feels a bit rushed with everything happening in a single day.

On the other hand I like it much better that Yuki and Kyo were like "nah, screw this."
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 4, 2019 11:39 AM
Mar 2016
Great episode but am I the only one wondering about how Kyo got inside the house? Or even how he pulled the curtains to see Yuki got inside? Because at the beginning, we see them outside the house, not inside, and the windows seem closed so I don't understand much...
May 4, 2019 2:34 PM

Jun 2014
Very nice episode. The first one from the remake that was better for me than in the old anime. They both had added scenes not in the manga, but the remake made a bigger impression on me. Soundtrack was also good in this episode. Next episode is the sleepover or chapter 7, yay.

I forgot that grandpa calls Tooru Tooru-san in the old anime, instead of Kyouko-san. They really changed some stuff from the manga in the old anime which is importand later (like her homeroom teacher being female, the boy and the cap, Hanajima's black nails etc.). That's not cool, no wonder the mangaka didn't like the old anime. I did like it though, it had great comedy and soundtrack.

This Yuki doesn't look androgynous, like he does in the manga and old anime, so it's weird to hear Kyou calling him ''girly boy'' (onna-otoko) in ep 2/ch 2 or Tooru's cousin being shocked that he is a boy. I really wonder about episode 6/7 which will adapt chapter 9, if he will
I think this Yuki would look weird in it. ^^; He looks like a pretty boy, how can someone mistake him for a girl is beyond me.

By the way, I noticed that they don't include characters smoking in this remake. In ep 1 when Kyouko is supposed to be smoking at 18:10 when Tooru has a fever, she's not and in ep 5 Shigure is supposed to be smoking when Tooru gives them the address and goes to pack her things, but he's not. In the old anime they were both smoking. They do include knives though, like when kid Kagura was threatening kid Kyou to marry her, they had her do it with knives, but in the old anime she was threatening him with a boulder. I wonder if they aren't allowed to show cigaretes/knives in some anime? I know I saw them in other anime...
SailorVekiMay 4, 2019 4:30 PM
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
May 4, 2019 2:35 PM

Aug 2018
Hahaha, Grandpa was the MVP of this episode by far ! That made me so happy when he turned down his family to protect her grand daughter ! That shows how much he loved deceased daughter, it was brave to throw what you clearly think to your new host.

Also, Yuki & Kyo were the bros finding their little sis' to save her, such a good moment to see them united for a same purpose.
May 4, 2019 5:18 PM

Dec 2012
I didn't really like how this was resolved. The "drama" at Grandpa's house was a bit forced and frankly just weird. We've never seen these characters before, and know nothing about them, but out of nowhere, we see them treat Tohru like garbage. Is it just because they didn't like her mother? That's stupid. There was no buildup whatsoever. It didn't feel organic. It seems like an excuse by the author to make her go back to the Somas. I'm sure there's more to it, and we're probably gonna learn more as the show goes on, but the lack of information and characterization conditioned the scene and made it feel dry.
Albi-kunMay 4, 2019 5:52 PM
May 4, 2019 5:42 PM

May 2017
SailorVeki said:

This Yuki doesn't look androgynous, like he does in the manga and old anime, so it's weird to hear Kyou calling him ''girly boy'' (onna-otoko) in ep 2/ch 2 or Tooru's cousin being shocked that he is a boy. I really wonder about episode 6/7 which will adapt chapter 9, if he will
I think this Yuki would look weird in it. ^^; He looks like a pretty boy, how can someone mistake him for a girl is beyond me.

Same actually, I found it pretty hilarious when he called him a babe because he mistook him for a girl. The dude has worse eye sight then the gramps lol who was mvp this episode btw
May 4, 2019 6:07 PM
May 2019
I'm so loving the episodes of fruit basket. I really like the new insert song in episode 5. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S IT'S CALLED PLEASE??? Thanks in advance. Fruits Basket rules!!!XD 😍😘💗
May 4, 2019 7:04 PM

Oct 2011
I really liked this episode... very emotional... especially the conversation with Kyo...

but, I confess, prefer the way the old anime handled some parts... like, how Tohru spend more days in the house with her relatives, showing how "displaced" she was... was a nice touch... although, see more of the interaction between Yuki and Kyo was good too (although -again- was weird to pass two time the same scene ^^' ... especially an emotional speech like that)

actually, I don't like this, but is hard not to compare... looking foward for the part after the old anime, so this will not be an issue anymore

ps; that new scene/flashback with Kyoko got me off guard, XD... I was like "who is calling her?"
May 4, 2019 9:43 PM

Jun 2015
i wonder how awkward the household is going to get once they both fall in love with her...
May 4, 2019 10:01 PM

Apr 2018
YEEESSSS! They stay living together!
May 4, 2019 10:30 PM

Apr 2015
My entire experience from this episode felt as close as an empty shell which is the complete opposite effect that I got in comparison to the original fruits basket (2001). Going back and forth between both series, it's quite clear to me that in terms of directing, pacing/buildup, and overall composition, the new adaptation of fruits basket just doesn't seem to do it for me.
May 4, 2019 11:27 PM
Feb 2015
this ep is definitely the strongest so far it made me so emotional i freaking love tohru’s relationship with the sohma family especially the two boys it’s so cute and adorable love this ep 5/5
May 5, 2019 12:01 AM
May 2019
Does anybody know that song when She talks to Kyo about going home!?!??!?!???!
May 5, 2019 5:52 AM

Feb 2018
quite an emotional episode , it was nice and heartwarming .
May 5, 2019 6:05 AM
May 2019
Can anyone tell me if Hattori will be coming in soon. I don't have the manga to see. Only the DVDs,I can't tell how well it's following it. Thanks in advance.i love Hattori 😘😍💗💓
May 5, 2019 7:07 AM

Sep 2010
starlightshine said:

REPEAT AFTER ME

A RICE BALL BELONGS IN A FRUITS BASKET!

A RICE BALL BELONGS IN A FRUITS BASKET!

As a person who neither watched old Fruits Basket anime, nor read the manga, I was wondering why the anime was called like this.

It broke my heart how Tohru was left out as a kid but the final scene collected the pieces of my heart back together because now she is a part of something and she is just so happy.
Ninjas were cutting onions in my room. I guess my door was unlocked so they let themselves in.

(✿◠‿◠) A rice ball belongs in a fruits basket!
May 5, 2019 7:07 AM
Aug 2018
Glad to see they added some anime only scenes.

And yes that slap was worth it
May 5, 2019 7:47 AM

Apr 2018
God damn this episode was such a feels trip
May 5, 2019 8:33 AM
May 2019
Ten said:
Flashback within flashback in a flashback...

So much drama as if she left for another country, no less. No one even had a thought "hey, we'd still see each other at school!" It's only 5th episode but she kept flashbacking like they were living together for several years and it was time to remember how it all started. My memory is just fine to keep up with what happened for 4 episodes, thank you very much.

Her family is something else. I don't quite understand who they are exactly (except for Grandpa, of course) and what's with private detective thing? How convenient to stumble upon her living with guys and miss the fact that she was living in a tent for quite a long time (maybe even longer than with Soumas), huh. So much for caring family not to check on her right after she left. Good riddance. And why would that guy mistake Yuki for a girl? It wasn't even funny.

At least she's back with Souma family and we aren't forced to go through unnecessary drama with that shitty family for longer. Nice touch with fruits basket and Touru being selfish for once, but still, all too melodramatic for my taste.

I was wondering how they would handle this episode.
2019 version stretches the episode out by giving us more Kyo and Yuki scenes of searching for the house and their POV of Tohru leaving but difference is everything happens within one day which like you said did feel dramatic.

2001 version flowed way better, that version stretched the episode out having Torhu stay with her relatives for a night and had one scene of with Tohru, Kyo and Yuki crossing paths at school. When they meet at school it was awkward between them and Tohru makes a comment about how things feel different as they were no longer living together.
Then when she returns to her Granpa's house and Tohru just gets ordered around and nag at by her relatives but of course Tohru endures it. She later tries to help set up dinner but doesn't know where anything is.
This is when Tohru get flashbacks at being in the Sohma kitchen. Alluding to fact that she didnt feel out of place and felt more accepted with the Sohma's hence fits in with the Fruits Basket game scene.
All these little scenes IMO is what made Tohru's outburst more realistic at the end because she finally admits how she feels. I personally felt the old anime handled messages more subtle and not in your face.

Whereas this version she only just moved in and is already crying her eyes out and leaving.
Dont get me wrong though the new scenes with Yuki and Kyo finding the house and listening through the window were good and showing Yuki and Kyo hands when 'rice ball' was called out was a nice touch.
FatedForeverMay 5, 2019 9:18 AM
May 5, 2019 8:55 AM
May 2019
Yuzukai55 said:
Can anyone tell me if Hattori will be coming in soon. I don't have the manga to see. Only the DVDs,I can't tell how well it's following it. Thanks in advance.i love Hattori 😘😍💗💓

Pretty sure Hatori's episode is 8 but makes brief appearance in episode 7. It depends if this new adaption is going to re order scenes/chapters. They done it once already so we will see.
May 5, 2019 9:36 AM
Mar 2019
Kisa1208 said:
Question for those that read the manga or watched the 2001 anime, am I the only one that thought the guy in Tohru’s relatives was her Uncle? I thought he was the aunts husband not son... not that it changes anything or is even important, I’m just wondering if I was the only one that thought that.
!!!!!!!! i thought?? he was her uncle too?? for years??
May 5, 2019 9:47 AM

Jul 2012
They are doing such a great job with this adaptation.

I wish other great manga had also received this fantastic treatment nowadays, it's been a while since the last time I was this much satisfied with a reboot/remake manga adaptation.
May 5, 2019 12:26 PM

Aug 2017
I remember this episode from the old anime and I think the remake did a great job. Maybe even better because it really delved into the relationships between the characters. Unfortunately Tooru has a shitty cousin who passively accused her of things she is not. Okay, living in a house full of boys gives off a certain image, but she is not like that. Only grandpa seems to understand that, and I loved how he bluntly reminder her of the "unpleasant people" around her haha.

Yuki and Kyou were great too. Yuki managed to 'save' Tooru from the uncomfortable situation with her family. And Kyou sounded like her mother a long time ago. It was sweet. Oh and the flashback to the 'fruits basket game' and Tooru being a rice ball instead of a fruit (which made her very happy, how adorable) was just too cute :)
May 5, 2019 12:30 PM

Aug 2007
Nice. I like how the writters complemented this episode with something new and interesting. I like how tooru's grandfather say goodbye at the end of the episode.

According to manga, the next episode is about the mysterious hat Tooru has.
May 5, 2019 6:19 PM

Sep 2015
shinsov said:
Kisa1208 said:
Question for those that read the manga or watched the 2001 anime, am I the only one that thought the guy in Tohru’s relatives was her Uncle? I thought he was the aunts husband not son... not that it changes anything or is even important, I’m just wondering if I was the only one that thought that.
!!!!!!!! i thought?? he was her uncle too?? for years??

So it might be weird, but I’m like really glad I wasn’t the only one. I think it’s cause he looks older in the original anime. But idk. Oh well. Even old fans can learn new things I guess. Haha
May 5, 2019 9:23 PM

May 2014
ggultra2764 said:
Pretty much similar to episode 5 of the 2001 anime to a large extent as this episode adapts chapter 6 from the manga. Like that one, some anime-only scenes were added in to pad out the runtime. Here are differences I noticed:

-The beginning of the episode with Tohru cooking at the Sohma house and reflecting on a time with her mother, who explains to her that it's okay to be selfish is anime-only.
-When Shigure remarks on the gloomy atmosphere with Tohru leaving, the anime doesn't show him smoking a cigarette.
-When Tohru arrives at her grandfather's house, the younger female relative was not at the front entrance to greet her. Also unlike in the anime, the construction work on the house was complete in the manga.
-While shown to be outside in the anime, Yuki is still inside Shigure's house as the elder Sohma commented about Tohru's departure.
-Due to chapter 8's events being adapted early in episode 3, Kyo reflecting on Tohru's metaphor on riceballs and Kyo's character was added to the flashbacks where he reflected on her presence at the house.
-The extended scene showing Kyo and Yuki trying to find Tohru's grandfather's house and observing the altercation she had with her relatives is an anime-only addition.
-The scene with Tohru's relatives being dumbfounded over the events that took place with Tohru and the Sohma boys is anime-only.

I honestly enjoyed the anime only scenes (I’ve read the manga and rereading it now). I feel like it adds more incentive. It made the episode feel more wholesome
Oscar and Andre deserved better
May 6, 2019 12:22 AM

Oct 2007
Bibimbapski said:

Just realized on my second time watching this, no one turned into animals today.

"Dear Diary, no one turned into animals today!" *gold star sticker*

I love Kyoko so much. I never did finish the manga, so I can't wait to see all the beautiful Tohru and Kyoko flashbacks I don't know about yet. :D
May 6, 2019 5:41 AM

Feb 2019
Man this episode made my eyes water! I'm glad Tohru is going back home with the soma's! I'm so glad the Grandfather slapped that boy. I hope we get more of the Grandfather'
May 6, 2019 6:12 AM

Sep 2008
AnimeZ0id said:
I honestly enjoyed the anime only scenes (I’ve read the manga and rereading it now). I feel like it adds more incentive. It made the episode feel more wholesome

My post was not meant to draw criticism with the differences between the anime and manga. I've just been posting my observations on the differences between the two.

As for the series thus far, it looks like it is retaining the story structure and pacing of the 2001 anime with its plot developments thus far, with noticeable differences in events and mood. The handling of things for this episode were okay, but I was more a fan of the 2001 anime's portrayal of chapter 6 since the additions for the anime added more emotional weight to Tohru's parting with the Sohmas, most notable a couple days going by in the 2001 anime that lead to Tohru and the Sohma boys feeling awkward in approaching one another at school due to not living together anymore during that time.
May 6, 2019 1:52 PM

Oct 2012
Fucking brilliant episode.
May 7, 2019 3:54 AM
Apr 2019
I have considered the opinion of some people that it felt weird that everyone was so emotional about Tohru leaving after such a short time of her being gone and that she broke down about it after having only been at her grandpa's for a less than a day - and that the (2001) anime was better for having shown her being there for several days and not fitting in, how things had changed at the Sohma residence, awkwardness at school, etc. I thought about it, I rewatched the episode ... I thought about how I've always felt reading the equivalent chapter in the manga ... I thought about the story as a whole.

And ultimately I have to disagree. Especially given everything I know about the characters, their hangups and backgrounds and motivations and development going forward, I think it makes perfect sense and actually adds to the overall meaning for it to be such a short burst of emotions and events.

Also, I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing that it makes more sense to me knowing things about the story going forward, because it never was too strange to me reading the manga the first time, it just means more with more knowledge, which everything does in Furuba - it's a series meant to be reread.

Without spoilers about that later knowledge of the characters, I think the perspective to have is how much everyone didn't want Tohru to leave (Kyo, Yuki, Tohru herself) and yet didn't say anything. The point of this moment in their collective lives is not that Tohru left and they all realized after a while how upsetting it was - it was that it was already upsetting and they didn't do anything about it. Everyone was bottling up their emotions so well - Tohru insisted on making dinner as usual, then packing up her things, then leaving in the morning without even saying goodbye. And Yuki and Kyo just stayed literally silent the whole time.

(Shigure was perceptive about it all, but he didn't say anything for his own reasons ~spoilers~)

It adds to the feeling of letting something slip past and happen so easily without saying a word, when saying something was all you needed to do, for it to be such a quick series of events. And that includes the outburst of emotions so soon after it happened. Kyo and Yuki became agitated after her leaving quickly enough to immediately go try to bring her back because they had already wanted to say something to keep her from going in the first place.

Tohru, who is dealing with the loss of her mother as shown in the opening scene of remembering her and in a myriad of ways that are impacting her that the story hasn't gone into yet, already didn't want to be in that house and would have preferred to keep living with the Sohma, something that was uplifting her for the first time since her mother's death in a genuine way. She was bottling up her every feeling of depression, isolation, and hopelessness and it only took a few cruel words from her relatives and kind words from her grandfather for it to all burst out. And then burst out again when Kyo told her something she really needed to hear and that reminded her of words from her mother, as well, and the great relief that she was getting out of situation she already didn't want to be in.

It makes perfect sense to me, looking at it from this point view, which with knowing everything about the characters going forward already, I believe is the way the situation is supposed to be interpreted.

I don't fault any viewer who hasn't read the manga or is understanding the characters through the lens of the first anime (which is really completely different from the manga in all these regards) to find something strange or at fault with the way this played out. But I do think a bit of patience and benefit of the doubt is needed. I don't think it is altogether so odd as to be completely not understandable or unemotional as some are saying. Maybe we are just too conditioned to expect a certain route for storylines and character emotions - it seems more obvious that this should be about the shift in circumstances that makes it upsetting, not the bottling up of feelings you already had and circumstances you already fully knew you wanted or didn't want - and will judge things if they don't play out the way we expect, rather than letting it pique our intrigue as to what it will deepen and reveal about our characters later on.
thebond_thecurseMay 7, 2019 4:02 AM
May 7, 2019 9:27 AM
Jan 2018
What is with anime and media in general where they kill the best parents and the mc as to live with dickheads

And when he flicked that douchebags forehead I could stop laughing
Mattinator95May 7, 2019 9:42 AM
May 7, 2019 9:30 AM
Apr 2019
Mattinator95 said:
What is with anime and media in general where they kill the best parents and the mc as to live with dickheads

I don't know about other anime and media, but at least in Furuba it wasn't simply done for plot convenience. It's actually specifically a story about Tohru coming to terms with her mother's death and larger themes of familial abuse.
May 8, 2019 3:03 AM

Mar 2012
yuki is much more beautiful in this than ever.
May 8, 2019 4:19 AM

Nov 2011
There's some things that Furuba: Brotherhood got down extremely well, and then other places where I think it seems a little too naive for my tastes.

Maybe I'm too old and jaded to fully appreciate pure shoujo. I'd like at least one sentence or even a thought from Tohru defending the Souma's when her relatives are talking crap about them. That way she'd seem less of a pushover. I'm not asking her to act out of character either. Just a "They're all extremely good people! Shigure-san, Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun were there for me in my time of need!" would do. Here, she simply stands there taking the abuse even though she's not the only one being bad-mouthed.

Furthermore, Tohru cracked too quickly. I think her character would really try to give it a shot to get along and make amends with her relatives. As it stands, I don't know if I fully appreciate her desire to live with the Soumas based on a somewhat flimsy relationship of eating meals together. This adaptation hasn't really elaborated how the Souma household literally falls apart when Tohru is gone. It makes sense why it was left out, since this version decided not to show her cleaning the kitchen earlier and generally downplayed her role as a housekeeper, but I feel that selection of detail was very important to understand how much the Soumas need her beyond their emotional dependence on her words of encouragement.

Secondly, I do think that spending some more time apart would have made the outburst have much greater impact than the flashbacks did. And it would have been awesome if we could've held off on the boys' point-of-view until a later episode so that it would really seem like it was adding to the story rather than coming off as slightly redundant. Again, minor complaints but I'll just switch things up in my head-canon. Still loving this adaptation so far.
AeowinaMay 8, 2019 1:40 PM
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
May 8, 2019 6:00 AM
May 2019
I wish people will stop calling the 2001 anime as the original. The only one original is the manga. The 2001 anime changed so many things, from the trivial ones like Kyo's bracelet color and some of character designs until the important things related to the main plot (won't mention it here since it's a spoiler tho). I understand that some of you think the 2001 anime is better than the remake in some aspects. But Takaya Natsuki, the creator of Fruits Basket, dislikes the 2001 anime. That's why I think calling the 2001 anime as the original would be disrespectful to Takaya Natsuki-sensei.
May 8, 2019 9:52 AM
Apr 2019
Aeowina said:
Maybe I'm too old and jaded to fully appreciate pure shoujo. I'd like at least one sentence or even a thought from Tohru defending the Souma's when her relatives are talking crap about them. That way she'd seem less of a pushover. I'm not asking her to act out of character either. Just a "They're all extremely good people! Shigure-san, Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun were there for me in my time of need!" would do. Here, she simply stands there taking the abuse even though she's not the only one being bad-mouthed.

If you want to see Tohru stand up to people and yell back at them, in defense of someone else or even in defense of just herself, then keep watching the series beyond the fifth episode. Tohru not being defensive or outspoken right now isn't some 'pure shoujo' trope, it's her characterization that's setup so the story can show her developing and changing as she is pushed through more dire circumstances and to greater limits.

Also, if Tohru said something like that they were there for her "in her time of need" she would have to be admitting that she was in need at the time, which would be out of character for her at this point.

Aeowina said:
This adaptation hasn't really elaborated how the Souma household literally falls apart when Tohru is gone. It makes sense why it was left out, since this version decided not to show her cleaning the kitchen earlier and generally downplayed her role as a housekeeper, but I feel that selection of detail was very important to understand how much the Soumas need her beyond their emotional dependence on her words of encouragement.

The Sohma don't need Tohru to be a housekeeper. They are more than rich enough to hire a real one. The (2001) anime trying to sell that her leaving was a problem because the boys fall apart unable to take care of their basic needs without the touch of a woman (if you wanna talk about shoujo tropes and sexism) isn't true to the original circumstances in the manga - that's why this version didn't show it.

Shigure didn't invite Tohru into his home because he needed a housekeeper -
- and Yuki's and Kyo's relationship to her IS at this point based entirely on emotional needs and dependence, as well as her's to them.
thebond_thecurseMay 8, 2019 9:56 AM
May 8, 2019 10:24 AM
Mar 2019
Please give me link music 18:17 episode 5 🙏🙏🙏
May 8, 2019 2:03 PM

Nov 2011
thebond_thecurse said:
Aeowina said:

If you want to see Tohru stand up to people and yell back at them, in defense of someone else or even in defense of just herself, then keep watching the series beyond the fifth episode. Tohru not being defensive or outspoken right now isn't some 'pure shoujo' trope, it's her characterization that's setup so the story can show her developing and changing as she is pushed through more dire circumstances and to greater limits.

Also, if Tohru said something like that they were there for her "in her time of need" she would have to be admitting that she was in need at the time, which would be out of character for her at this point.

Aeowina said:
This adaptation hasn't really elaborated how the Souma household literally falls apart when Tohru is gone. It makes sense why it was left out, since this version decided not to show her cleaning the kitchen earlier and generally downplayed her role as a housekeeper, but I feel that selection of detail was very important to understand how much the Soumas need her beyond their emotional dependence on her words of encouragement.

The Sohma don't need Tohru to be a housekeeper. They are more than rich enough to hire a real one. The (2001) anime trying to sell that her leaving was a problem because the boys fall apart unable to take care of their basic needs without the touch of a woman (if you wanna talk about shoujo tropes and sexism) isn't true to the original circumstances in the manga - that's why this version didn't show it.

Shigure didn't invite Tohru into his home because he needed a housekeeper -
- and Yuki's and Kyo's relationship to her IS at this point based entirely on emotional needs and dependence, as well as her's to them.

I hear you. I know it's part of her characterization to be a doormat and I was generally fine with the fact that they didn't want to paint her as a housekeeper this time around. I think the exclamation points may have made the suggested defense come across too strongly. Tohru is soft-spoken anyway and I was reading it in her voice. I never imagined her to be outright yelling or shouting. Even without words, I think showing a frame with her face showing some level of shock or hurt when they started talking about the boys (perhaps looking down so that her relatives don't see) would have done a lot to express how much it really would have affected her to the point where she even breaks down, missing them and wanting to be with them instead.

And, personally, I don't think showing hints of a stronger personality would be harmful to her overall growth and development. Someone can always think a certain way but never show it until they feel comfortable and confident to do so. This is the part where Tohru and the boys are still pretty insecure and really want to connect with someone or something greater, warmer and kinder. It's a powerful message and I simply would like to see a more layers and depth to an already incredible presentation.

Again, I'm seriously enjoying this anime on its own. Its been years since I watched and read the 2001 version and the manga so I can't remember the nuances. Certain things simply stood out to me in my memory and I wanted to share my two cents on my current impressions.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2019

212 by contrastz »»
May 20, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2019

167 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2019

184 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 3:42 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

233 by kiteall »»
May 12, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

192 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 8, 8:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.