Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What My Hero Academia does better/worse compared to other shonen series in your opinion?

New
Jan 6, 2019 3:24 AM

Apr 2008
I agree with the common accusation that the idea itself is generic, but I like how it is executed. What I like is that the main character and other characters think. In many shonen stories the main character would be insufferably stupid, but here it is not the case. Izaku is able to figure things out for himself and creates plans(i.e. saving Bakugo during the fight between All Might and the super evil dude) that allow him to get what he wants, but still it is not like everything works smoothly and without problems all the time. In other words he does not change into Gary Stu.

I was also positively surprised when Bakugo put things together and figure out who gave Izaku quirk. As for Bakugo, I think Bakugo is an awful person, but he is a well-made character for a shonen. I feel that a character like him in another shonen would not have half of his brain.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jan 6, 2019 7:38 AM

Mar 2018
MHA was my first big shonen, I loved it from the very beginning, and of course I was told many times that it wasn't original and that it borrowed many elements from other shows. So I watched HxH, and even tho I thought that what I was watching was good, I wasn't really enjoying it until very late in the show (around ep 50), and I think that's because Gon and Killua really lacked humanity.

Since they were showing very few emotions, I had a real trouble getting attached to them, and that's where MHA is effective, its characters all have easily recongnisable personnalities and very strong emotions. I instantly loved Deku and Bakugo and was extremly interrested by what was gonna happen to them, where I only started caring about Gon and Killua at the Chimera Ants arc (and it ended up being one of my favorite arcs of all time so...).

So yeah, I'll be the first one to tell you that HxH is way more original and unpredictable than MHA story-wise, but on a character level, MHA is one of the best.

Also, don't know if it counts, but MHA's manga is visually gorgeous, where HxH is ... well you know what it is.
Jan 6, 2019 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
The fight in this series have little no choreography. Hit them really hard or hit them fast. Compare it to early Naruto and you can see how bland MHA fight actually is without those epic speech and music.

Jan 17, 2019 11:27 AM

Apr 2008
Florent3571 said:
MHA was my first big shonen, I loved it from the very beginning, and of course I was told many times that it wasn't original and that it borrowed many elements from other shows. So I watched HxH, and even tho I thought that what I was watching was good, I wasn't really enjoying it until very late in the show (around ep 50), and I think that's because Gon and Killua really lacked humanity.

Since they were showing very few emotions, I had a real trouble getting attached to them, and that's where MHA is effective, its characters all have easily recongnisable personnalities and very strong emotions. I instantly loved Deku and Bakugo and was extremly interrested by what was gonna happen to them, where I only started caring about Gon and Killua at the Chimera Ants arc (and it ended up being one of my favorite arcs of all time so...).

So yeah, I'll be the first one to tell you that HxH is way more original and unpredictable than MHA story-wise, but on a character level, MHA is one of the best.

Also, don't know if it counts, but MHA's manga is visually gorgeous, where HxH is ... well you know what it is.

I have a similar experience. I too once started watching Hunter x Hunter and found the characters not very interesting and not easy to attach to, but unlike you I had no patience for the story and for the characters, so I dropped it after few episodes.

KaiserNazrin said:
The fight in this series have little no choreography. Hit them really hard or hit them fast. Compare it to early Naruto and you can see how bland MHA fight actually is without those epic speech and music.

I see, I don’t pay attention to choreography of fights, so it was not an issue for me, but I can understand that for those who do My Hero Academia may not be so interesting.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jan 17, 2019 1:36 PM

Feb 2015
Haven't seen this season yet, but I find the characters to be bland. They're not particularly engaging, or give me a reason to care at all for them(or at least, I don't feel it). The villains are not that great either. Shigaraki is... boring. Not a fan of unstable people who want to destroy for no reason. I get that he's supposed to be a villain that has yet to grow, but still. Shortly said, his design is over the top.

Hero is okay. Hardly likable at first, but grows to become somewhat likable. Bakugo is pissing me off, no particular reason.
Don't know if it's intended, but the most memorable character here is All Might. He has a clear objective, gimmicks, and above all, looks. Like, Deku's hero outfit is... lackluster, to say the least. Disappointing for what's supposed to be the main hero's.
Part of that is due to his quirk being unremarkable. You can't really "enhance it" using your outfit the way Bakugo does with his, and it isn't particularly tailored to make your quirk easier to use like Momo's.

Finally, I don't like the original setting : how quirks appeared, why some people don't have one? Another grip I have regarding some quirks is that they can be akin to magic, one of the worst offender being Stain's. A quirk is only supposed to warp your body and make something out of it imo, while his is something that makes no sense in that regard.
Then the superman thing being the "top quirk"(all might) is not only unoriginal, but also hard to believe. In a world where quirk breeding is a thing, there's no way this is the case.

Speaking about quirk breeding, this must be one of the only interesting thing I find in the series. That, and the pacing. I mean, it still manages to be hype after all my bitching, so it's not all that bad.

I just have a hard time finding things that make it really stand out, that MhA is clearly the best at. Doesn't help that I have nothing to latch onto, that prompts me to actively follow the show(memes aside).

Haven't made the comparison with other shounen, but that's
Jan 17, 2019 5:01 PM

Apr 2008
Maybe you just don’t feel interested in their problems? I had that problem with Silver Spoon.

For me they are very solid for a shonen. A young boy who wants to be a hero – believable. A young boy who feels strongly disappointed when it turns out that he has no quirk/power, but still cannot fully accept that he cannot be a hero – believable. A young boy who lacks self-confidence around peers, because he was treated like a trash until going to UA – definitely believable.

As for Bakugo, his arrogant behavior makes him unlikable, but him behaving like a star more-amazing-than-thou after being treated like a special snowflake – believable. And I think in another show he might have been too dumb to live.

The rest of characters has various reasons to become a hero. The older ones like Eraserhead have some interesting thoughts on being a hero – nice, not every writer would think of it.

I like All Might too. His self-awareness of his position as a hero and a symbol of peace is surprising I would say. At least I would not expect it form a generic shounen. I also appreciate the author didn't follow the cliche after the fight with his archenemy.

The main characters have solid reasons to behave the way they are behaving and some important supporting characters tend to have something that differentiate them positively from characters of their kind in similar shows.

There was not much about how the world and quirks works and way. I am not sure if the author is going to go deeply into it. It seems the author is more interested in how quirks and heroes/villains influence society.
Feb 4, 2019 1:34 AM

Aug 2015
The worldbuilding is disgustingly laughable to the eye.
Out of all the shounen jump series I seen never before I seen a shounen series this bad.
The setting itself is bland, The U.A High security is a joke, lack of soical commentary and the world barely evolves along with the chararters.
It was already a problem in S1 and S2 but it gotten worse in S3.
Feb 4, 2019 3:53 AM
Jul 2016
VileKurata said:
The worldbuilding is disgustingly laughable to the eye.
Out of all the shounen jump series I seen never before I seen a shounen series this bad.
The setting itself is bland, The U.A High security is a joke, lack of soical commentary and the world barely evolves along with the chararters.
It was already a problem in S1 and S2 but it gotten worse in S3.

VileKurata said:
The setting itself is bland

Is an school setting, within a superhero society, nothing to write home about, but shouldnt have to be a problem either, it works well.

VileKurata said:
The U.A High security is a joke

Something constantly being adressed through the story, specially in the first part of the series. Also you forgot that there is a potential traitor in UA linking information and who helped orchestrate the first two villains invations. This instead of a problem is more of a plot point.

VileKurata said:
lack of soical commentary and the world barely evolves along with the chararters.

Unless you watch/read the series with a blindfold, you clearly can see a plethora of social commentary and the constant reaction of society as a whole everytime some big event happens. USJ, Stain, Bakugo kidnapping, AFO, AM powers, etc.

You can dislike the show all what you want, but these complains/arguments are just really weak and nitpicker at its fullest.

Feb 4, 2019 9:29 AM

Aug 2015

You can dislike the show all what you want, but these complains/arguments are just really weak and nitpicker at its fullest.

I don't dislike the series or anything in fact I liked S1 and S2 however the lack of decent to good worldbuilding holds it back from being great.
The setting itself simply didn't grab me compare to stuff like Naruto Part 1 Hunter x Hunter due to how generic it is.
I hope later seasons will fix the worldbuilding issues because it's starting to more visible and many reviewers actually started to point it out.

More topics from this board

» Song name?

infinite_Shadows - May 27

8 by matthewy2006 »»
May 28, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Aug 8, 2018

124 by Darzaka »»
May 26, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

468 by AndoRando »»
May 16, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

188 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

161 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.