Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 14, 2019 3:59 PM

Apr 2009
When I read BF some years ago I quite liked it, thought I had some issues with some parts of the story, like everyone being a gay rapist that wants to fuck Ash.

Anyway, going through it again with the anime, I got to say, man this has not aged well. Many will say it's because of the adaptation, and while it's true the adaptation removed some quite nice parts (RIP Nadia, you didn't even exist in this anime!) it really doesn't change that once you reach the second half the story is just.. bad and unbelievable.

Basically the author really lost the plot, it's like she couldn't handle Ash character anymore and shit got out of control and suddenly she couldn't stop mentioning his over 200 IQ. What I'm saying is that Ash is a meme character.

But the worst thing is really the ending. Really, what's the message here? If you get raped, tortured and your loved ones get taken hostage and hurt you deserve to die because you killed bad people (Unless you are a thicc professional assassin, then you can go back to the Caribbean and bang hot blondes of whatever the fuck Blanca does there)

What a stupid ending.

Aug 28, 2019 11:46 AM
Mar 2018
I took like a 6 month break from this anime to recover from the trauma the shorter situation did to my heart and now this.
I’m speechless after all of that seriously.
Sep 1, 2019 7:27 PM
May 2017
Well, that just absolutely broke my heart. I mean shattered into a million pieces. I almost never get too emotionally invested in shows, but I was full on crying on this one. With all the horrible horrible shit Ash had to endure, I really wanted a happier ending for him. At least he went out knowing that he was loved and not alone in the world

now excuse me while I ugly sob some more
Sep 3, 2019 10:55 PM

Aug 2007
This was an anime I wasn't expecting to like as much as I did. It was a ride from start to finish. I felt like it was fairly consistent and I didn't feel like any episode bored me or any parts of it dragged. It kept going forward to reach the end, or rather Ash's death.

I find the references to J.D. Salinger ("A Perfect Day for Banana Fish" and "Catcher in the Rye") were great connections to literature. It's extremely apparent from the last episode title that Banana Fish was never as much to do with the drug named this but rather a reflection of the short story and the tragedy behind it. Both of these stories focus on the idea of loss of innocence, isolation, and struggle with oneself.

On top of that, we are constantly reminded of "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and Ash's parallel and self perception. ("A Farewell to Arms" and “Island in the Streams” is also referenced, which is likewise tragic tales by Hemingway.) He was unable to escape his fate as the leopard/monster dying on the top of the mountain, but I'd like to believe both the leopard and Ash found peace at the top of the mountain, even if it was from unconventional salvation.

I’d like to go back and look at the episode titles and the stories they reference as well. I think there was some Fitzgerald, Faulkner, more Hemingway, among others...

That being said the ending is incredibly bitter sweet. I wish Ash was able to believe he could have went to Japan with Eiji, but chose to sacrifice himself to protect Eiji. Likewise, he did so because Eiji was able to protect and save his soul. Ash would have likely lived a life still full of pain even with people like Golzine dead. He suffered from severe mental decline and health from all the abuse and his own sins of perpetual murder.

I'm honestly very touched and impressed by this. I'm not sure if I seen any recently released anime that pulled at my heart strings for a while. I definitely cried, even though it was heavily foreshadowing Ash's end.

8/10, points dropped due to the lack of character development for other characters, including the villains. There were also one to many hostage and infiltrate scenes. Other than that, I highly recommend it!
LycanSep 4, 2019 12:13 AM

Sep 4, 2019 7:48 AM
Jan 2019
wow that ending was hard t accept I wan't to cry but for some reason his death was very dramatic but it sims he's happy with it so I feel happy for him after all many of his loved ones have been killed (i guess it's 4) I feel sorry for them to.
he's having sweet dreams where he never able to wake up and smiled knowing he's going to die is the saddest part of the episode
Sep 10, 2019 8:53 AM

Jul 2014
Good endings are easily forgettable unlike bad endings and that's one of the reason why I really liked that last episode. There is a scene that I found very inspiring... and no that's not Ash's dead which is just stupid since he's like Terminator for 24ep just to die so easily.. pffft! pathetic. I really liked the scene where he was talking with his mentor just before he walks slowly while Blanca is sitting there... peacefully around all that dead-looking trees that I interpreted as a metaphor of all the anime's deaths.

To be honest, I really found that anime boring when I was watching 1Ep/Week and I did a pause until few days ago. I watched all the remaining 12-13 episodes in few days and it was refreshing. I found that the anime was good overall though there were too much Yaoi contents that was absolute garbage for me.
Sep 10, 2019 3:02 PM
Sep 2019
It sure was a difficult series to watch. My heart broke for Ash a little bit more with each episode until it completely shattered in the end of ep 24. What a sad life his was!! 😭 It felt like my heart was being squeezed when Ash said “もう二度と会わない。でも、あいつは俺の友達だ。たとえ一生会えなくても、思うことぐらいは許されるだろう (I’ll never see him again. But, he is my friend. If we can never see each other again, at least I am allowed to keep thinking of him, aren’t I?).”
Ash made the decision not to see Eiji again to ensure his (Eiji’s) safety, even though there is nothing he wants to do more than to be with Eiji. Love like that transcends space and time. Maybe he will be reunited with Eiji in the next life.
RIP, Ash. You are free now. 💖
riet64Sep 10, 2019 3:07 PM
Sep 19, 2019 2:23 AM

Nov 2012
Ok this is what I mean, there's nothing that confirms Ash is dead right? A guy that survives multiple stabs and gunshots suddenly dies from one stab?? IM TRYING TO BE HOPEFUL HERE GUYS. I mean I know his death isn't really the point, whether he dies or not the ending was beautiful. BUT I CAN HOPE RIGHT, that he's still alive.... or has it been confirmed by the author or something...

EDIT: nope, most likely he's dead. Read a few theories online and it made the most sense that rather than he died because of the stabbing, he let himself die.
Welp goodbye my heart I didn't need you anyway..
lukraiyeolSep 19, 2019 3:24 AM
Sep 19, 2019 8:25 AM

Mar 2015
What a sad ending that was..
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 19, 2019 7:39 PM
Dec 2017
Can you believe this is labeled a shojo series!? Unbelievable! I liked Banana Fish. It was an interesting story with an interesting setting. I wasn't surprised Ash died in the end. There were hints and death flags throughout the series he wasn't gonna make it, especially in the second half of the anime.

I know I can't be the only one who liked Yut Lung.

Also, can you believe this story is from a manga that was made over 30 years ago?

The anime industry needs more stories like Banana Fish. Score 8/10.
Oct 4, 2019 9:53 PM

Aug 2008
aww, crap...knew he would die since it aired, but damn in the last minutes found myself bawling my eyes likewas no tomorrow
ugh ...damn, and i rarely cry at animes :)))
damn u ash making me cry
The spider is watching
Oct 6, 2019 8:21 AM

Feb 2015
I really took my time watching this slowly to prepare my heart. I haven't read the manga but the death flag was obvious since the beginning.
Yet here I am crying my heart out. That last scene was beautiful but I just want them to be happy :'(((((

Gonna read the manga now, I don't need my heart anyway.
Oct 8, 2019 9:40 AM

Apr 2009

Americans, remember what the republicans did to Ash when you vote for the next election!

;)
Oct 23, 2019 12:14 PM

Feb 2017
Mostly writing this to process the ending lol
This series is gonna stay in my mind for a long time. The ending was

If you haven't read the epilogue I suggest you do. I usually don't go off reading manga, but for this show I definitely would. I've heard Eiji is portrayed a bit different in the manga, so it won't be the exact same story. In the epilogue we see how

I originally came to watch this show because of the ship, yes, but honestly this show does not deserve the category stamp of yaoi or BL that the media has given it. It is SO much more. The love between Eiji and Ash is very subtle, so much so that it's possible to play it off as a very strong friendship. Their love is the purest form of love I've ever seen portrayed in any anime, and I love it. The focus of this series is a debatable question, but first and foremost, it's about Ash, and that's exactly what we get.

I LOVED the music, sound track, endings, openings, all. If you're like me and look up lyrics and stuff, you've probably already noticed how well the lyrics of ending 2 fits the story. The story also had like ton of symbolic stuff stuffed in (ha) like the names of every episodes, which are named after famous/classic novels. I also read a theory in a comment about why Ash and Yut-Lung (?) was referred to as "peacock" at times and why Yut-Lung had a peacock painting in his office/room. They believed that it was a reference to the fabel of a peacock (I have no idea what it's called) where the peacock boasts about its feathers to a crane. The crane replays by asking if the peacock could follow him and takes off in to the sky. And this you could interpret and compare to the series in many different ways. I think it perfectly fits Yut-Lung to be the peacock and Ash to the Crane, but at the same time I could see Ash as the Peacock and Eiji as the crane. If we look back to the first episodes we hear Ash say that he envies Eijis ability to fly, which relates with the fable. This is getting quite long so I'm gonna stop now lol.

This show was fulfilling to the point where I don't even want or need to read any fanfiction, and that in itself is a feat. This whole journey has been... I don't even know how to describe it. The show is a wonderful piece of art. 10/10.
Nov 9, 2019 12:42 AM

Sep 2018
That was very good. I will now proceed to cry myself to sleep
Nov 11, 2019 8:46 PM

Jan 2013
Why did ash let himself die? He would be free from the violence in Japan moreover, his enemies are all dead. He hurt Eji more than he helped him. He’s going to be depressed when he finds out ash is dead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2019 9:15 PM

Nov 2013
I was between "good" anime and watched this to fill time, not expecting it to be more than a 5/10.
Now that this roller coaster ride is over, I come away with a whole different point of view. This was nearly a masterpiece. Unfortunate ending, but that's life.
Eiji is good kid. Probably so is Ash, but he's so damaged by the circumstances in which he was raised.
One thing that sticks with me through this whole series is a few episodes back when Eiji says to "come to Japan, you don't need a gun to live there," man that summed it up for me.
Dec 29, 2019 2:00 AM

Mar 2017
What an amazing ending! I'm really satisfied with this, even though I love Ash and want him to live but it feels right to me to end his life like this. He survived many things because he had a reason to live but was killed by just a random guy, because he accepted death, he was smiling and that makes me satisfied.
Overall I love this show, it made me stressed and thrilled along all the episodes, (I think living with mafia is more dangerous than living with titans).
I just wish there will be an OVA adaptation of the side stories, I can't get enough from this show, I wonder why this manga didn't get an early adaptation.
Great characters, drama and action is all I need. I've asked if it was a BL to avoid it but after watching first episodes, I just said "BL or not BL, this show is awesome".
I will give it 9/10 (-1 for disturbing scenes).

Edit: This is the best Shojo I've ever watched, I wish other Shojo shows were like this.
gofreeDec 29, 2019 3:26 AM
Jan 12, 2020 12:29 PM
Sep 2019
so after 24 episodes and 18 years of pain, at the last moment when ash found out the true happiness he dies... what tragic ending. I AM CRYING CHIKESHOO
Jan 25, 2020 4:42 PM
Dec 2019
The ending scene for anyone looking: (spoilers obvi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHL8jgGOP58
Apr 5, 2020 7:02 PM

Apr 2019
It was too good to be true to see Ash survive in the end. Everything he has done, even though he made made into this, it has haunted him since he was a child, sadly the things he had done overweigh the rest. Tragic ending but also something that was foreseen.

Apr 19, 2020 11:55 PM
Apr 2020
Well, ASH LYNX IS ALIVE!!!

Visit the official website of BANANA FISH, here's the link: https://bananafish.tv/story/
Characters shown in gray are dead and COLORED CHARACTERS ARE ALIVE!!! ASH IS COLORED, THEREFORE ASH IS ALIVE!!!

Waiting for Season 2 or a movie! 🎉
Apr 22, 2020 12:03 PM

Feb 2017
BlueHaru said:

Visit the official website of BANANA FISH, here's the link: https://bananafish.tv/story/
Characters shown in gray are dead and COLORED CHARACTERS ARE ALIVE!!! ASH IS COLORED, THEREFORE ASH IS ALIVE!!!

Sorry to break it to you but in the source material, the manga, Ash is very dead and Enji is forever depressed.
Apr 22, 2020 4:29 PM
Apr 2020
ghostsickness9 said:
BlueHaru said:

Sorry to break it to you but in the source material, the manga, Ash is very dead and Enji is forever depressed.

Yeah, I know coz I also read the manga. But, you know, the story of an anime can be different from the story of the manga where it was adapted.

For example, Akame ga Kill. In the manga, Tatsumi and Mine are both alive. But, in the anime, they're both dead.
Apr 22, 2020 7:25 PM

Oct 2019
Zexys said:
Awful, awful ending. I'm not even sad, I'm bitter I wasted so much time with this show.

"Ash had to die"
No, no he didn't. Not only is it unsatisfying to the viewer, the entire show feels pointless now. The show was about Ash and Eiji, primarily Ash, so all the development he went through was absolutely useless. Eiji is worse off now than when he started. Plus, Ash promised him he'd go to Japan with him, but he's still too busy hating himself to bother.

this person wrote a brilliant interpretation on the ending and i thought it was incredibly well-written.
if you're interested you can take a look: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1757177
May 3, 2020 3:52 PM
Oct 2019
This ending. It was painful and tragic indeed, but still beautiful and comprehensible.
After I stopped whiping my tears, mI realized that it all makes sense and even though we don't want to see that, Ash somehow had chosen even before the very end that he wanted Eiji to stay away from his world ever again, so his final decision to let himself die alone has a deep meaning, specifically liked to the Leopard on Kilimanjaro image, I believe it could have not ended differently.

Also, I was already crying a lot when they put the first opening in the battle scene oh my god - I've watched the anime in a week probably, but It still felt like memories from a long ago, because I really lived the story and felt all the events and fights close to me -

I really loved Banana Fish since the beginning and I know it will be one of my favourite anime and stories ever, one that made me feel a lot of emotions, made me understand better a lot of human aspects such as pure love between soulmates, jealousy, loneliness, rage, all perfectly portrayed by amazing voice actors and beautifully written by Akimi Yoshida sensei.
I'm going to start reading the manga soon because it really is a masterpiece and I want to read the parts that were cut out and I hope I can find the extra chapter everybody is talking about.

Amazing work in every sense, 10/10 for me ❤️
cmssicMay 3, 2020 4:14 PM
May 3, 2020 4:29 PM
Oct 2019
ghostsickness9 said:
Mostly writing this to process the ending lol
This series is gonna stay in my mind for a long time. The ending was

If you haven't read the epilogue I suggest you do. I usually don't go off reading manga, but for this show I definitely would. I've heard Eiji is portrayed a bit different in the manga, so it won't be the exact same story. In the epilogue we see how

I originally came to watch this show because of the ship, yes, but honestly this show does not deserve the category stamp of yaoi or BL that the media has given it. It is SO much more. The love between Eiji and Ash is very subtle, so much so that it's possible to play it off as a very strong friendship. Their love is the purest form of love I've ever seen portrayed in any anime, and I love it. The focus of this series is a debatable question, but first and foremost, it's about Ash, and that's exactly what we get.

I LOVED the music, sound track, endings, openings, all. If you're like me and look up lyrics and stuff, you've probably already noticed how well the lyrics of ending 2 fits the story. The story also had like ton of symbolic stuff stuffed in (ha) like the names of every episodes, which are named after famous/classic novels. I also read a theory in a comment about why Ash and Yut-Lung (?) was referred to as "peacock" at times and why Yut-Lung had a peacock painting in his office/room. They believed that it was a reference to the fabel of a peacock (I have no idea what it's called) where the peacock boasts about its feathers to a crane. The crane replays by asking if the peacock could follow him and takes off in to the sky. And this you could interpret and compare to the series in many different ways. I think it perfectly fits Yut-Lung to be the peacock and Ash to the Crane, but at the same time I could see Ash as the Peacock and Eiji as the crane. If we look back to the first episodes we hear Ash say that he envies Eijis ability to fly, which relates with the fable. This is getting quite long so I'm gonna stop now lol.

This show was fulfilling to the point where I don't even want or need to read any fanfiction, and that in itself is a feat. This whole journey has been... I don't even know how to describe it. The show is a wonderful piece of art. 10/10.

Already let my comment, but then I read yours and I wanted to add that I completely agree with you for everything.
I didn't mention it but you're absolutely right about Ash and Eiji relationship: that is not BL, that's much more and it all refers to a pure, unconditional form of love and desire to protect the other. I've never seen such a wonderful thing in my life.

Also, YES!! I'M GLAD SOMEONE other than me FOCUSED ON THE OPENINGS AND ENDINGS AND SOUNDTRACK AND APPRECIATED IT ❤️❤️
My 10/10 was also due to the music choises.

Going to look for the epilogue soon!
May 9, 2020 7:07 PM
Apr 2020
The end makes no sense. I had to skim through 24 eps of Ash getting caught, stabbed, shot, escaped, then getting caught again, stabbed, shot and escape again, then get caught.... by big bad guys. This cycle repeated for the length of the anime then at the last minute he was stabbed to death by this little small fry.
May 16, 2020 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
hello everyone, quarantine has made me insane and i made the choice to finish at 2 in the morning. writing this post purely out of frustration and the inability to sleep right now, I'm not particularly fond with the idea of waking up with swollen eyes, eye sight's pretty bad as it is.
im frustrated not really because I don't like this ending, I am rarely unhappy with endings, it's frustrating to be just a viewer, a listener, being unable to reach out a helping hand. frustrated because I realize that there is no true happy ending for Ash, he either lives with pain or die happy.
this was a pretty hard series for me to watch, I have never watched something that forced me to get up from my chair every now and them to process what was happening, even though I invest a lot of emotional attachment to everything I watch or read.
Banana fish is going to keep my brain running for the next week before I find something else to get emotionally scarred by, but even then, this is really some next level stuff, really didn't expect this show to be this. which is why I kind of wish I still thought it was a happy cop show sitting in the corner of my PTW.
May 17, 2020 4:34 PM
Apr 2020
my heart hurts so much but anyone who decides to re watch the show from the beginning must have a strong heart or be a masochist because it must hurt so much more watching them be happy and stuff when you know how the end is going to turn out, the story did end nice but i still cry when thinking of it. at least aslan was happy and at a place where he feels safe when he died <3
Jun 9, 2020 2:55 PM
Apr 2019
uninstallthegame said:
okay, this ending was rather confusing. while i enjoy that it ended in a tragic way (though, it didn't feel like it due to how melodramatic it was), but do die from a single knife stab after being shot and stabbed multiple times throughout the show is kinda... eh?

also, the resolution of that fight felt like an ass-pull as well. golzine being shot twice, modifying the code and coming all the way to the construction site to shoot the military guy and fall off in a dramatic way. lmao, feels like i'm watching a hollywood movie going down

nevertheless, the series as a whole felt really nice. mappa sure did their job well
I am a fan of sad and tragic endings , but just like you said .....wtf was that . No one dies from a single knife stab when it was proven that he was fine after going through so much worse . Eiji’s letter was one of the only good things about the last episode. I feel like Ash could’ve easily got treated , hopped on a plane to japan (it wouldve been possible as there’s no one stopping him ) and just went to eiji.
People label the last episode as the saddest episode in the show (mind you I haven’t shed a single tear) but the saddest episode hands down was the episode that shorter died in (I’m still sad and still cry over it )
Jun 13, 2020 8:59 PM
Jun 2020
I will never forgive Lao for what he did. I just finished this anime. And you probably know what I’m doing. Which is crying. I wish Lao didn’t kill Ash, but I still overall loved it!
Jun 19, 2020 3:38 PM
Jun 2019
I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS :’(
Jun 27, 2020 3:09 PM

Nov 2013
This was pretty good,
But the story lost momentum around the time when Blanca was introduced.

It was supposed to be about Banana Fish and how to exact revenge on Golzine and the Corsica Foundation, but then Golzine dies to some random character introduced near the end of the story in Foxx. The Foundation is still free to do as it pleases even with the information about the government officials, and Banana Fish is still as relevant as it was in the beginning since all the incriminating evidence was lost.

Then there were the characters that offered little to the story — Blanca, Foxx, and Yut Lung. Blanca was there just to spice up the drama by playing hired guns for both sides, Foxx was there just to add another cliché enemy that was obsessed with Ash, and the same goes for Yut Lung. In fact it wasn’t until the penultimate episode that we got a clearer idea of why Yut Lung was so obsessed with him. Yut Lung had such an interesting story, but the way they handled his story made him change from a manipulative and complex character into one that seemed whiney and needlessly hateful.

Finally, the story overall was needlessly obsessed with Rape — every other episode, it was a different person trying to rape Ash (ie. Golzine, Marvin, Foxx etc). At first, it was shocking but then it just became disturbing with how much the Studio decided to use it as a recurring trope.

Still, I think the story of Eiji and Ash was pretty good, I also did find the ending to be satisfying, especially if they were hinting that Ash died to symbolically protect Eiji in that last scene. I don’t think Ash going to Japan would’ve worked anyways considering how dangerous it would’ve been for Eiji.

Overall, this story was the best in the beginning, but lost momentum with random characters towards the finale, though the ending was pretty decent.
Jul 11, 2020 12:38 AM
Oct 2019
I read a spoiler about the ending last year but that didn't stop me from bawling out my eyes. Ngl, the open ending made me want more but ig it's also a good thing as it's open to interpretation. Instead of seeing Ash's death as a sad thing (even though it is for us and the characters who love Ash), but I feel like Ash is finally free of all the pain he had to live through. It was kind of soothing to just watch him be at peace at the end where he wouldn't have to worry about anything and live through his nightmares. As much as I wanted Ash to live and go to Japan with Eiji, I guess this was a happy ending for Ash...

And I think some people are interpreting the ending as useless. Ash died knowing he saved Eiji's life. Take a look at this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/a80mjn/banana_fish_episode_24_discussion_final/
httpxhongbinJul 11, 2020 12:45 AM
Jul 25, 2020 8:21 AM
Jul 2020
I want to die now, thanks
Jul 25, 2020 4:59 PM
May 2020
wow that hurt gtg cry now
Jul 26, 2020 4:34 PM
Jul 2020
I just finished the ending and I know I am pretty late but I understood and appreciated the ending that happened but I am just so sad. I saw that why Ash died there, he hated his life every second he was alive during the anime. He could barely protect the person he most cared for, Eiji, and even had some of his closest friends die like Shorter and Skip. Of course, he has survived gunshot wounds and multiple cuts and stabs but he wasn't fighting anymore. He recognized that Eiji is back in Japan and safe from the dangers that Ash had brought into his life. In the end, that was his one true goal, to protect Eiji till the end. Ash didn't want to fight death anymore, he didn't want to survive anymore because he hated what he had become. He couldn't go to Japan with Eiji because (as stated in a previous episode) all he knows is murder and living in the underworld. I completely understand why they would kill Ash in the end and leave Eiji believing they would meet again one day (aka in the afterlife). I was just so sad about the relationship. I really wanted to see them reunited. Two worlds able to live together and forbidden love to exist. I wanted their ending to be happy with them together in Japan or in New York. But I see why they couldn't be together in the end. They did live in two different worlds and if either one of them stays in the other, there was no purpose for them. Ash's world would get Eiji killed and Eiji's world had no place for Ash. What a really good and deep anime I really enjoyed it.
Jul 26, 2020 8:35 PM

Sep 2014
I can't even begin to express how much this hurt. I finished the series half an hour ago and feel haunted, I've been unable to stop crying, I'll compose myself and it will just hit me all over again and the tears will resume flowing. I can't believe this. I mean, I was suspecting the worst, constantly doubting whether Ash or Eiji were going to survive, and during this whole final episode I was filled with dread. I knew Lao was a loose string waiting to be tied up and I could sense something was going to go terribly wrong, but the execution of this tragedy is what hit too hard. Once Ash was stabbed the tears were instantly flowing, I knew this was it, and honestly all I kept thinking was... why Ash? His whole life was hell, he lived through atrocities and horrors and he finally found an escape, a respite and happiness with Eiji. He finally found someone to love and it was over! It was all over, there was a chance, a very possible future where he could be happy with Eiji in Japan. He had finally found a future that wasn't full of killing and destruction.

This was so, so cruel. The fact that he was running towards his new life with Eiji just to have Lao deliver a soul crushing blow to bring Ash back to reality is so damn painful. Damn I need another tissue, the tears are back and flowing. I know he died happy, but that makes this hurt even more. Ash was truly okay with dying like this, just knowing that Eiji loved him and he had kept Eiji safe till the end. They both deserved so much more. I can't even believe how much this hurts. I'm rambling at this point but my emotions and my mind are a complete mess. I felt myself getting way too attached to this story and I knew it was going to end badly, though not the details on how, but this was traumatising. I can't believe how cruel and painful this story was. I feel like an absolute mess right now. I'm going to go cry a bit more now.
Aug 16, 2020 4:42 PM

Jul 2016
NOOOOO I WANTED THEM TO MEET AGAIN
Aug 17, 2020 2:52 AM
Jan 2017
WHY MUST THEY KEEP HIM SUFFERING OMG JUST LET BE ASH HAPPY
Sep 11, 2020 9:37 PM
Jan 2020
So yeah, I just finished it, speechless. I'm one of the people who survived this ending, I'll give this a 6/10 for the emotional feelings this anime brought me. I can say that the ending was not my favorite but also not the most disappointing or not the ending I hate. It was sad to see Ash die, that hurts more than anything for Eiji. I knew Ash deserved more but what the people has said, it is what karma is. Ash killed people, so karma would hit him back. They said Ash's mental state was bad in the end due from being stabbed and other more injuries so that explains why he easily died. I didn't exactly understand why he didn't call for the ambulance, it might be that he thought Eiji wouldn't miss him and that Ash didn't really value his own life. I knew that Ash knows what kind of person he is, how horrible and that he is a killing machine.

It was still stupid of me for getting my hopes up for thinking this anime will get a good ending even realizing that the anime is pure BLOOD AND MURDER. This anime depicts what's happening behind the public eye and that's just sad. Sure, I would've been also happy, like really happy if this got a good ending, but that opportunity just.. poofs. Ash could've gotten a better life with Eiji but you really can't escape what you've done in the past with those consequences coming after you.

Banana Fish is a good anime, yet sad. I understand the ending but I'll never be happy or never be disappointed with it, this anime was good, it touched my heart. I wish I could just hug Ash right now lmao. May you rest in peace, we love you.
Sep 17, 2020 2:54 PM
Sep 2015
My heart is completely broken, seriously. Kinda could see this was a possible ending but I just couldn't accept it, and still can't, uff. Right in the kokoro.
Sep 26, 2020 2:56 AM

Oct 2013
Oh god... oh god... tell me that didn't happen.

I'm too emotional to say anything coherent. Just saying I'm just a pile of tears and snot on the floor like everyone else after that ending...
Sep 29, 2020 9:30 AM

Nov 2009
Even though the 2nd half of this show was much weaker than the first half (Yut-Lung's temper tantrums and Banana Fish just being forgot about all the time plus the randomly shoved in exmilitary goons all being a factor to this), this was pretty great and although I'm deeply saddened by the ending I can accept it for what it is. 8/10
Oct 8, 2020 4:07 AM

Aug 2016
Banana Fish: Started great, became mediocre in the middle and trash near the end. The 2nd half was an utter disappointment in every way.

Especially the ending was laughable, i mean come one, Golzine being shot twice and still able to shoot Fox? And then again the fall of the building in a dramatic way (a bit like Arthur) was cheap.

Overall i couldn't enjoy this anime that much for the following reasons:

- Visuals (not very important for me, but still not my cup of tea)
- Portrayal of USA / New York (Yep, like there are only gangs with guns and (homo) rape, the police is ofc incompetent too)
- Shounen-ai tropes (i can understand why some say this is BL, because the amount of homosexuals is rather, lets say, unnatural)
- Action (For example the train scene shortly before the showdown between Ash and Arthur (episode 13))
- Overall story (especially the 2nd half was a mess, weak antagonists (Fox, Yut-Lung))
- Ash (IQ of 180? Gang leader?, killing machine? Totally unrealistic... and he is only 17)

First half 7/10, second half: 2/10.

Overall: 4/10.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Oct 9, 2020 3:39 PM
Jul 2020
I’m crying so bad i really love this anime
Oct 18, 2020 7:30 AM
Jul 2020
After I watched banana fish, I knew for a fact that the manga was probably better. Although the flow of the story was still good, there was still something missing. I also hate when my favorite characters die. But, Ash needed to be set free. It's the least the universe could do for him. I wish there are more people in this world like Eiji who would do help anyone in need without asking for anything in return. RIP ASH LYNX
Oct 20, 2020 4:16 AM
Jun 2020
I can't, I'm broken I can't its so good
Nov 1, 2020 11:36 PM

May 2008
parona said:
i hate this ending. it’s pointless, cruel and it proves the villains’ point. it tells abuse victims that there’s no happy ending for them. that they can’t overcome their trauma; that they can’t heal. the only way out is death. i love the rest of the story, but this ending is horrible and i will always hate it.

Thank you for summing-up all of my complicated thoughts on this ending. It felt pointless and undeserved... Too bad because other than that I really enjoyed it.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2018

88 by tenmeis »»
May 10, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

67 by bubba460z »»
May 5, 4:10 PM

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.