Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

High School of the Dead is officially cancelled, according to the artist of the series.

New
Dec 9, 2018 8:51 AM

Jan 2009
This comes from an interview with Shouji Sato, who illustrated both HOTD and, currently, Triage X. The writer of the series, Daisuke Sato (no, they're not brothers), died in 2017. Here's the important parts of the interview, translated by /a/:

Shouji: I started Triage X because SATOU Daisuke became sick in 2008. My editor told me to make a new HOTD but add other elements to it like cool motorcycles and a strong hero. It needed some sort of male hero and school setting. We (Artist + Editor) knew the Dragon Age readers would love that.

Souji: I wanted to end it in 6 volumes, because it was supposed to be a short in-between series until my friend Daisuke got better and we could continue HOTD. Now we're at 18 even though there was a note in volume 6 that the series would wrap up soon...

Interviewer: I'm a big fan of HOTD, wouldn't it be possible for you to continue it on your own? Or get a new author for it?

Editor(?): The final volume of HOTD is Volume 7. The ones who would be able to write a proper continuation aren't in this world anymore. Satou Daisuke was an outstanding writer, even if one would consider the material trivial, his commitment was out of this world. He wasn't half-hearted nor did he let others interfer with his vision. So if I were to continue it now, it would be like spitting on his grave.

Shouji: Overseas fans do not understand our struggles with this, they just write "Just continue HOTD alone", but that's not easy. I know that we stopped in the middle of the story and I know Daisuke would allow me to continue it on my own, but I cannot allow myself to put my hand on it without him by my side.

Editor: Overseas comics seem to have various writers. One starts, one falls, another takes his place. We don't do that. No one can replace the original author for us.

Interviewer: Well when will Triage X come to end when it clearly didn't happen in 6 haha?

Editor: 6 was the turning point, we're at 18 now. ...About Volume 28.

Souji: I'll try to end it by 21.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/a4ktrc/high_school_of_the_dead_is_officially_cancelled/

the bold part says it all
Dec 9, 2018 9:08 AM

Oct 2013

did it take a year really after one of them died to say its cancelled

also it says something about the author being sick/to get better as an example of the series being put on hold but if I don't remember wrong dude said he didn't want to write a post apocalyptic world type series after some kind of tsunami/earthquake anyway so unaware if he was sick when saying that or not
Dec 9, 2018 9:17 AM

Jan 2009
@Deknijff

its an interview for Triage X the interviewer just happen to ask the question regarding HOTD

as for the second question i got no idea
Dec 15, 2018 4:30 PM

Aug 2018
aw man what a bummer :/
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Apr 10, 2020 8:08 PM
Apr 2020
Those who will be capable to made the proper extension no longer live in this world. Satou Daisuke is a famous writer, even if man thinks something is wrong, his purpose is not in this world. He is neither half-heated nor does he let the other interfere with his generation. I will try online dissertation writing service for them. So if I continue to press on now, it will be like leaping over your grave.
Jun 18, 2020 8:58 AM
Jun 2020
Hey Mr.Sato!!!! This is about HOTD
I know it's you would feel bad for continuing Mr. Daisuke's writing but won't you feel bad on those people who have once waited for the next volume? What's more important to you yourself or the others? Yes Mr.Daisuke might be someone who does not let others interfere but what if he really wants you to continue it? I don't know what happened for it to end at here and I know I don't have the right to interfere too but please. HOTD is one of the famous writings of Mr.Daisuke but wouldn't he feel bad if it doesn't continues? You're wrong when you said that no one can still continue it. How about those people who is close by him and how about those people he worked with? Can't you see that there are people like me sad about it's lose and we are also sad about Mr.Daisuke's lose but couldn't you move on? I know if Mr.Daisuke is still alive he would continue it so maybe even if he's gone he would still like to continue it. And he might even be proud of you if you can continue it. You know him right? So you might know he's thoughts too. Wouldn't it be sad for him to be one day forgotten? So please continue the HOTD that a lot of us has been waiting for...
If you still won't then it's fine...
I just wrote this to encourage you to continue it because I've been waiting for it for about 5-6 years already and I've been a real fan of it I watched it repeatedly that I could remember every single detail in it... I've read the manga for a hundred of times that I can even tell what they're saying even without the chat bubbles...
I just want it to continue so please if you could...

Thanks so much...
Sep 19, 2020 11:33 AM
Jun 2014
I can perfectly understand why he doesn't want to continue drawing the story without the original author. I respect that position. But what about anime adaptation of what's already there? Did the use all of the manga material for one season + OVA?
Sep 24, 2020 11:03 AM

Mar 2013
This is sad, but in Anime, there are so many versions different from the Manga. So if the Author passed away shouldn't there be an Anime team willing to continue the story? I really would want something than nothing. If HOTD can live on in an Anime form compared to the Manga then it wouldn't be bringing shame to the Author of HOTD. Everyone knows how some Manga have Anime but the Anime is different from the Manga, but still, people enjoy them both. So I really feel if the Manga Author is gone then the team should be able to bring it back to life and continue in the Anime form. Please think about this.
Dec 28, 2020 4:17 AM
Dec 2020
Yep, why not continue the Anime? The manga still has some chapters not adopted so why not make another OVA or 2?
Apr 18, 2021 12:34 AM
Nov 2020
It's not cancelled.it might take more years than we expected and the s2 coming will be from usa production company
News source can't be said
Jun 25, 2021 4:18 AM
Dec 2020
yashrajnimse said:
It's not cancelled.it might take more years than we expected and the s2 coming will be from usa production company
News source can't be said

Oh, that'd be nice ,
Jul 5, 2021 12:55 PM
Dec 2020
An unfinished masterpiece rip author

More topics from this board

» Is Rei a virgin or did she lose it with Hisashi?

JusTFoRTroll - Jul 21, 2014

31 by subhamoy »»
Jun 5, 12:56 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 12, 2010

255 by greed2 »»
May 31, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FaithoftheFallen - Aug 8, 2010

491 by Blaybourne »»
May 20, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amphetamine - Jul 4, 2010

1365 by Ksooosavage »»
May 5, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Aug 29, 2010

542 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Apr 25, 11:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.