Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 28, 2018 3:46 PM
Oct 2018
Personally, I consider Sword Art Online to be one of my favorites of all time. I know many people hate this anime. I would like to know why? If you are like me and love the show, please tell what made you consider to watch it? And by the way, I was only a big fan of the first part of the first season. The second part was meh.
Oct 28, 2018 3:49 PM

Jan 2013
DualSabers said:
I know many people hate this anime. I would like to know why?
Probably half of the reviews here will be negative: https://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online/reviews You'll surely find plenty of reasons why people disliked SAO.
Oct 28, 2018 3:51 PM

Feb 2018
It was the 2nd anime that I ever watched and I loved it because it was so interesting and Kirito was a badass to me but after rewatching the first season after 3 years, its definitely not as good as I thought it was... I still consider it a good anime but it definitely has a lot flaws that you can't just overlook. Haven't rewatched the 2nd season(my favorite season of SAO) so i don't know how good that season actually is.
Oct 28, 2018 3:53 PM

Jan 2013
oh gosh, i watched sao when i was 15 and i completely fell in love with it. now i can see that it's not a perfect anime or anything, but in my personal opinion it's still not as horrible as a lot of people keep saying over and over again.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Oct 28, 2018 3:53 PM

Oct 2014
Filthy marty stu of a main character.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 28, 2018 3:54 PM

May 2009
Well I guess I'll repost my opinion again.

I dropped the first season because I didn't like the "trapped in a virtual world and if you die here you die in real life" premise.

I never watched past the first episode, so I dropped it for reasons different from the usual reason that other flamers who dropped it did.

I watched the first half of SAO II and enjoyed it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 28, 2018 3:55 PM

Apr 2016
It wasn't as cringey as Overlord, so there's that.

Also hate on SAO is like Boku no Pico, a dead meme.
Oct 28, 2018 3:56 PM

Aug 2018
I made it through 10 episodes before dropping it.
Absolutely hated the pacing. Wasn't particularly fond of any of the characters even after 10 episodes and the ridiculous levelling up rate really irritated me.
Oct 28, 2018 3:57 PM

Oct 2018
It's okay lol, it was boring and a bit thrashy but it's not horrible

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 28, 2018 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
An eternity later: Let's talk about Sword Art Online. Again!

It was okayish. The animation and opening were nice, but I neither cared about the plot and characters, because he was too overpowered and just gary stueish to me, nor the romance. That's one of the only anime, where I disliked it that a romance was forced onto. Besides the obvious harems etc ofc.
Oct 28, 2018 4:00 PM

Mar 2018
The concept of SAO was most likely taken from the .hack series, with the major difference that in SAO, people were downright trapped in the video game and dying after their health reached 0 rather than the death suggestion slowly putting them in a coma and eventually killing them.

It got a lot more popular than any .hack show rather quick. But then the Aincrad arc ended in a rather dissatisfying plot twist. In the ALO arc, the main characters totally lost it (Kirito becoming less interesting while Asuna being reduced to little more than a damsel in distress). And the second season was... an eyesore, in lack for better terms.
Silently waiting for WW3 to come and kill everyone while I die smoking weed and drinking coke 🚬👌
Oct 28, 2018 4:05 PM

May 2014
To be honest, i only made it 10 minutes into the first episode and then dropped it. I've seen hours of videos explaining why it's bad though. That's given me more entertainment than watching the actual anime probably would've. It's pretty crazy that even the creator admits that there's plot holes. Log Horizon is definitely SAO done right.
Oct 28, 2018 4:09 PM

Aug 2013
The board is at full blast today I see.
Oct 28, 2018 4:14 PM

Oct 2012
SAO was a poor adaption of the source material. The source material up to a certain point was flawed. The are a lot of good reasons to not enjoy the first few seasons but the source material in SAO:A is much better and the team working on it is completely different. The director of SAO:A seems at least mostly competent as opposed to what we got in the first two seasons so I'll give SAO:A a chance.
Oct 28, 2018 4:28 PM

Sep 2017
better than legends of the galactic heroes
Oct 28, 2018 4:35 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Season 1 , liked Kirito, OP swordsman rise the way to the top. Harem and romance was bonus, but didn't care, only Kirito my favorite.

Season 2, the downpoint of SAO for me. GGO sucked, Kirito sucked, everyone sucked, don't really care if he beats anyone. Only liked Excalibur arc because it reminded me of Season 1.

Alicization, liking like Season 1 but on a different note. First I actually really like the SAO girls in this one for once, Alice, Selka and/or more. Kirito lost his one man OP power in this one. But Tagging team with Eugeo is cool. Kirito proven still can be badass.

張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 28, 2018 4:39 PM
Apr 2018
DualSabers said:
Personally, I consider Sword Art Online to be one of my favorites of all time. I know many people hate this anime. I would like to know why? If you are like me and love the show, please tell what made you consider to watch it? And by the way, I was only a big fan of the first part of the first season. The second part was meh.

Sinon and first half of season 2 are the only parts worth watching

Also this meme

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=2+years+worth+of+glop&rlz=1CDGOYI_enAU725AU725&hl=en-GB&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-s_rup6reAhXFNo8KHXjvCWQQ_AUIEigB&biw=320&bih=452#imgrc=LHf927g6YGAI9M
Oct 28, 2018 4:42 PM

Apr 2017
People hate it because a work that's basically just decent (5/10) is one of the most popular series of all time.
Oct 28, 2018 5:02 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

Having only watched the first and second seasons, there's a tendency with Kawahara's writing to implement a lot of suffering into his stories in ways that are frustrating to watch. I otherwise don't particularly have a problem with his writing, though it doesn't strike me as something I'd come back to watch.

I will say that the second half of the second season was my favorite, though primarily because I liked the idea of using VR and AR for rehabilitation and medical purposes. It also was more side story-ish, so it allowed the characters to do more for themselves, rather than being pushed and pulled around by the plot.
Nov 21, 2018 10:43 AM

Aug 2007
SAO (the anime) is one of those things you have to look back with eyes unclouded by hate. Alicization gave me the excuse to reminisce about the series and well for the most part how I saw SAO back then and how I see it now still holds true for the most part.

The first season was mediocre at best. The Aincrad arc could have been handled better and definitely suffered due to the source originally being a oneshot. Perhaps a possible adaptation of Progressive may give us the Aincrad we deserve, but I suppose that depends entirely on how successful Alicization will be. Now the ALO arc...well I can't really say much about it as it's largely forgettable, but overall still entertaining enough. Would I go so far as to call it "shit?" Eh in terms of substance sure, but I was entertained well enough so does it really matter?

Now the second season is where things truly get interesting. SAO S2 is arguably the best LN adaptation to date in terms of episode to content ratio. While the quality of the GGO source is up for debate, it can't be denied that the anime did the source justice. Even the short story Calibur was done as well as it could have been. But truly the shining gem of the entire franchise to this point was wonderfully adapted in the Mother's Rosario arc. If I could rate just that story arc alone then SAO S2 would be a solid 10/10 for me. You'd have to be so far entrenched in the SAO hate train to not have any FEELS at all after watching that.

So TLDR?
A lot of the SAO hate is largely undeserved and just people jumping on the hate train bandwagon. If nothing else it can't be denied that SAO nailed the dismount. Some people may have had to trudge through some unpleasantness to get there, but boy did SAO nail the dismount.
Jun 4, 2019 1:22 AM
Apr 2017
When it comes down to it, I think the pacing of the Aincrad arc was why I really disliked the show back when it was really popular. Along came characters that were so bland I couldn't care less what happened to them. Maybe with the exception of Klein in season 1.

Well incoming is my opinsions of seasons 1 and 2.

Chopping it up into arcs.

The Aincrad arc suffered greatly from horrible, horrible pacing. We get the premise presented, the usual 'hey we're stuck in a video game/other world and have to find a way back' deal in episode one that was actually decent. Though it went downhill fast from there. If they had just stuck to that, it would have been a whole lot better. Well no, instead we get ridiculous side quests that has no impact, takes you away from what is supposed to be important, and only presents girls for Kirito's harem. While I have no problem that he chooses to fall in love with Asuna, the romance felt incredibly forced and adding Yui to the mix, we're now playing house instead, leaving us to wonder what the show is even about anymore. There is no sense of urgency, we don't know what they're trying to do and what they're aiming for. What is the goal? To me it feels like they're just going with the flow of things and gets completely swept away in the poorly written plot.
What made me drop this the first time around, to come back 5 years later when I finished the series last year, was the supposed death of Yui. I had just had it at that point, it was so stupid.

The fairy dance arc was better when it came to pacing by a thousand miles it woke me from the braindead stupor the first arc had left me in. Instead of having an arc that focuses loosely on what happens during the span of 2 years, it's now focusing on the events during no more than a week because Kirito has to save his girl before she is getting married to Pedo McRapeface the following week. There we already have a very defined goal of the arc with so little time that there is no room for huge time skips that the first arc also suffered from.
Not to mention watching Kirito figure out how to fly and faceplant into the ground as a result was about the most satisfying thing in the series.
Also Yui is much, much less insufferable this arc. While I hated her in the first arc, she actually started growing on me this arc.

The Gungale arc almost had the opposite problem with the pacing as it was occuring only over a couple of days, it felt slightly drawn out. Especially when they started going over Sinon's past and personal life not knowing why it mattered at that point in time. However the whole incident with Death Gun was actually fairly good and it did feel like the most cohesive arc so far in my opinion. Even though Sinon is basically a walking and talking plot device to have an excuse for Kirito to get over his trauma that hasn't mattered previously and won't matter in future arcs.
The only thing that really annoyed me was the flashbacks to scenes in SAO we didn't see happen in the anime, mostly the raid on LC. It was like: "Oh, okay that happened" *shrug*.
However, as a stand alone arc this is the one I'd be most likely to rewatch.

The Excalibur arc (or whatever the name of this one is) was kind of stupid.
The pacing wasn't bad, the mythology was interesting enough but all in all I don't really have an opinion of it. I was kind of back in the stupor from season 1's Aincrad arc.
Though I felt sad that Klein had been turned into a comic relief character considering what he could have been with a little care from the author.
The only real important thing to take away from this arc I felt is the knowledge that the cardinal system is still the original from SAO still running ALO, so there is a posibility of it creating other really stupid quests chains in the future.

The Mother's Rosario arc was sweet. I felt like it got some good points across when it came to friendship, hardships and the difference between the virual and the real world. This is probably the closest arc to what the game is actually supposed to represent. Nothing in the game is trying to kill you, real life is. You got the focus flipped in more than one sense. Now we follow Asuna and her struggle with her family in the real world which is the hurdle she has to overcome. Seeing her stand up for herself was nice.
As for Yuuki, well it wasn't overly surprising. Having watched .Hack figuring out what Kirito meant with a "full time player" wasn't difficult and when we learned she was ill, well it was obvious where it was going to end up.
I didn't dislike this arc, it was okay. It didn't feel rushed or dragged but it was sappy and maybe a little more so than it needed to.
Jun 4, 2019 2:01 AM

Jun 2019
Alot of people can't think for them selves and go with popular opinion.
Youtube channels like Digibrony and Shill's Basement hate on it because youtube clicks and easy money even though they praise worse shows.

Most of those youtube critics go with the hype or hate-train to generate views.
It has gotten to a point where you're likely to be made fun or heavily criticized if you dare talking about it and that's shame

Sep 20, 2020 5:11 PM
Sep 2020
this is anime, the most popular in the world no.1, read more at

https://za.gl/C4XUF
Dec 30, 2020 6:25 PM

Sep 2020
This is one of the most annoying and disrespecting anime ever,see sao s2,you basically see kirito easily beat assault rifle player in a br,wtf kirito,lte me beat you with mp5 no nose breaker
Jul 11, 2021 11:02 AM
Feb 2021
It is cringe compilation in my opinion.
Dec 27, 2021 7:16 PM

Aug 2019
Started S2 and i really don't understand the hate with the series, first season was really enjoyable for me along with season 2

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 27, 2014

611 by Bruh69XD »»
May 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

546 by amf85 »»
Apr 30, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

432 by amf85 »»
Apr 29, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

286 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 6, 2014

418 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.