Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 27, 2018 11:37 PM

Aug 2010
"Boogiepop wa Warawanai"...I mean, really? I'm only saying this because even in Japan its original airing title seems to have been Boogiepop Phantom, or at the very least "Boogiepop wa Warawanai: Boogiepop Phantom". Why go so far out of the way to enforce an all-Japanese convention across the database that people may not be able to recognize even familiar and fairly well-known titles? I don't understand, but then again it's just me...

P.S: I'm only bringing this up because this is such an instantly recognizable title, both in Japan and outside
MisterGibbonOct 27, 2018 11:47 PM
Oct 27, 2018 11:55 PM

Feb 2015
Cause this is MAL. They have no sense of structure or coherency. That's why this database is a mess in terms of titles.
Some are romaji, some are their official English title.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Oct 28, 2018 1:08 AM

Aug 2010
Look, inconsistency isn't my issue - in fact I'm saying something of the opposite i.e. rather than try and maintain either an all-English or all-Japanese convention, wouldn't it be simpler not to bother with such an attempt but instead just go with the most widely-accepted version in English-speaking circles (who are the target audience of MAL after all)? Because even otherwise, they do keep records of other names by which it is known, both in English and Japanese.

Again, I'm only bringing this up because they went out of their way to rename a title that seemed better-off the way it was i.e. if it ain't broke, why try to fix it??
Nov 4, 2018 4:08 PM

Sep 2015
There was nothing wrong with Boogiepop Phantom. At this rate, it will just add to people's confusion. The title of the anime wasn't even "Boogiepop Never Laughs" it was "Boogiepop Phantom" in Japanese. I can't read Japanese but if the Kanji is there for "Boogiepop wa Warawanai", then it is the subtitle because that's the series it is loosely based off of-- not because that's the identity of the show! And even if it were considered as such, why isn't it, "Boogiepop wa Warawanai: Boogiepop Phantom"!?

Agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MAL, why can't you just be consistent...? If anything, just hold a poll to see which is the more widely accepted name for any series you want to change the title to? Imagine changing "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" to "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi" and see how many people flip out. You can't say anything about that because FMAB is the English name, furthermore, only "Fullmetal Alchemist" is the subtitle, but the kanji with the Japanese name is above that and most people know it as such in Japan.

I honestly would prefer if at least 90% of the titles here were in English and not Japanese, not including absolutely pandered English titles, titles that don't need a translation or titles that don't have a definite translation and no one picked up a license for it to end the debate.

Just change this back to Boogiepop Phantom.
Nov 14, 2018 6:29 AM

Jan 2016
I just started watching Boogiepop Phantom and watching it it's even more jarring now. I mean, the mid point has the words "Boogiepop Phantom" on screen while a heavily distorted voice goes "Boogiepop Phantom". I think that's what the name is supposed to be even in Japanese given those two subtle pieces of evidence.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 14, 2018 11:46 AM

Aug 2010
I think I see where the confusion started from - there's a manga by the same name: https://myanimelist.net/manga/691/Boogiepop_wa_Warawanai that actually seems to be a different story from the anime going by the synopsis - perhaps a prequel or a sequel, I dunno. I sampled the first two eps or so of the anime a long time back and the memories are a little blurry, and I plan to check out the manga to see whether or not it's the same story. If it turns out it isn't, then the anime title would actually be misleading and it would be all the more important that they change it back to Boogiepop Phantom.

Update: I just checked, and the manga Boogiepop wa Warawanai is not only something of a side-story but also a potential SPOILER for the anime. So why, just WHY would you want to DO that?!?!
MisterGibbonNov 16, 2018 5:52 AM
Jan 14, 2019 4:05 PM

Jan 2016
Glad to see they at least changed the title to "Boogiepop wa warawanai: Boogiepop Phantom" which is probably more accurate to the intended title. The naming of the franchise is always "Boogiepop *something*, and since this is a side story anime only, the title of that side story will be "Boogiepop Phantom". I think the "Boogiepop wa Warawanai" part is unnecessary, but whatever.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Feb 13, 2019 12:45 PM

Dec 2017
Unfortunately they changed back the title to the "Boogiepop wa Warawanai-only". :(
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Aug 25, 2021 10:59 PM
Jan 2016
Boogiepop wa Warawanai literally appears on screen in the opening, it looks like this is a show with both a Japanese title (that) and english title (Boogiepop Phantom). They should have used the latter here as that's what english speaking users will know better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.