Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 26, 2018 11:35 AM

Jun 2011
This anime is trying to be Cowboy Bebop but failed badly. It did everything Cowboy Bebop did right wrong. All of its characters were unlikeable and Hatchin and Michiko arguing during the first half was annoying. The violence in it was too intense.

Hatchin cries too much like she cries when she feels bad for doing a minor wrong thing, she is too emotional and hard on herself and seems kind of emotionally weak not that all of the characters aren't weak anyway. I mean, when I was 9-10 years old, I cried like every 5-4 months not every few weeks or whatever. I hated how she almost cried in episode 12 was it, I mean why was she on the verge of tears anyway when she called herself an idiot? I mean, yes she was a scared little girl but it just wasn't done right, it ended up being annoying to me.

Oh, and that ending did not pay off. How did Hatchin have a baby if she was like 17? Why is she a single mother? She looked pretty different from how she looked when she was a kid but that's just me nitpicking.

It's too bad Watanabe didn't work on the writing and directing of this. If he did, it probably would've been pretty good.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
May 2, 2019 5:45 AM

Mar 2017
"How did Hatchin have a baby if she was like 17? Why is she a single mother?"

Did you even third world?
Jul 9, 2019 4:02 PM
Apr 2016
SPOILERS BELOW

I also think like this is like a bad Cowboy Bebop wannabe, it does not have the charm of that series, no likeable characters, Hatchin and Michiko don't stop arguing all the time during the first half of the series, i found Michiko to be one of the most absolutely unlikeable and annoying main characters of any anime i have ever seen, she gets a bit better on the second half but she is still a bitch, Hiroshi is a shithead too, and with the exception of the chinese actor almost everyone of the other supporting characters that show up in every standalone episode treat Hatchin like shit, they steal from her, beat her, scam her... aren't there any good people in that world? even her friend Rita from the circus casually "forgets" to warn her that the circus owners will probably try to sell her...

I also found that mob syndicates wars with all those hitmen killing each other confusing as fuck, maybe i'm dense but i didn't feel like all that mob thing is well explained, and this fictional Brazil like country has one of the most incompetent police force i have ever seen in any media, holy shit, Michiko always escapes in his motorbike dodging bullets like a maniac and outmaneuvering dozens of police cars chasing her, and all those boring standalone episodes where almost nothing interesting happens... and the ending is just there, not good or bad, just a standard unimaginative ending, the only redeeming qualities this anime has in my opinion are the setting, some of the music and some of the animation, the rest was a big meh for me 6/10.
charlieman999Mar 15, 2020 5:42 AM
Aug 1, 2019 5:39 PM

Sep 2013
It's insane how a mediocre anime like Cowboy Bebop achieved a "classic" status
Aug 1, 2019 7:03 PM

Jun 2011
Wintovisky said:

Sorry to hear you didn't like the series. I think part of that is the nostalgia factor but the other part is how revolutionary it was for its time. I do see how its episodic storytelling can put off some people but the beauty of that is unlike most slice-of-life anime, each episode has a story and besides the overarching storyline being about Spike, Vicious, and Julia, it's mainly about bounty hunters trying to get money to survive so it at least had a story to it. Most slice-of-life anime are just random episodes with no direction they want to go.

Why it appeals to many people is how many genres it entails. It has at least a bit of every genre for everyone, including noir, romance, and mystery. That's why they say "A new genre upon itself Cowboy Bebop" and how its western aspect can even be easier for Americans to relate to, which is why many non-anime fans including me can enjoy it.

I like the noir vibe of the show, being a fan of old movies and tv shows from the 40s and 50s, it's good to see classical elements of what made that era great incorporated into the show. And being a big music fan especially jazz, I admire how much of a big role the music played throughout the series.

It also has great depth to the characters, though I do wish they could've gave Spike a bit more depth. I just love their clever dialogue and how they play off one another.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Mar 14, 2020 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:
This anime is trying to be Cowboy Bebop but failed badly. It did everything Cowboy Bebop did right wrong. All of its characters were unlikeable and Hatchin and Michiko arguing during the first half was annoying. The violence in it was too intense.

Tbh, I like it even better so far, I love Michiko and their weird relationship and everything speaks to me more than Cowboy Bebop, if you wanna compare them, although I loved that as well.

charlieman999 said:
maybe i´m dense but i didn´t feel like all that mob thing is well explained, and this fictional Brazil like country has one of the most incompetent police force i have ever seen in any media, holy shit...

To be fair: south america actually seems to have a very incompetent and corrupt police.
Apr 8, 2020 10:53 AM

Jun 2011
Wintovisky said:

My thoughts exactly.
May 9, 2020 11:48 PM

Jan 2015
I can definitely see a privileged first world person thinking the violence in this anime was "too intense", or not being able to imagine a 17 year old being a single mother. That doesn't mean this is a "bad Cowboy Bebop wannabe". It was actually a very faithful to the real life places it's based on, which can be too shocking for a privileged person. I think it's just too realistically portraying a reality those people can't understand.

Also, I'm not proud of this, but when I was 9-10, I did cry very often for the stupidest things, and compared to Hatchin I was a very privileged child. So give her a break. She gets much better later in the series which shows some character development.

winterismybro said:

I kind of agree. I couldn't finish the series, though, so maybe it gets better in the second half. But damn, the first half was just so boring to me.
May 9, 2020 11:54 PM

Jun 2011
elvishen said:
winterismybro said:

I kind of agree. I couldn't finish the series, though, so maybe it gets better in the second half. But damn, the first half was just so boring to me.

If you dropped Cowboy Bebop after the first half, then you probably won't like the rest. Most of it is episodic and rarely ever serialized.

Apr 18, 2022 9:31 PM
Jan 2014
To be honest, this is like a GOOD Cowboy Bebop lol. Both anime are fine, but they both have a certain style and pace to them that would not appeal to everyone. Same studio after all. I don't mind the anime at all

More topics from this board

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

windy - Mar 22, 2009

242 by Perrin4869 »»
May 14, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

simo000 - Mar 14, 2009

56 by Perrin4869 »»
May 13, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

104 by prozyne »»
Jan 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 29, 2008

82 by prozyne »»
Jan 28, 5:38 AM

» music in this series

abyss_will - Jan 20, 2019

5 by abyss_will »»
Jan 22, 11:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.