Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 16, 2018 5:39 PM
Jun 2013
im being honest, i really enjoyed this anime and its insane plot twist. and also loved how it was kind of centered around a romantic theme and i loved rinne character, the younger one, but i also liked the orlder original one. such a cute charater like reallly cute how she was showing how much inlove she was with setsune ^_^ i kind of want a 2nd season just so i can see more but its ended really well so im somewhat content, will miss this anime tho
Sep 16, 2018 5:43 PM

Jun 2007
Cyanwasserstoff said:
BestJo said:

I need an answerrr

It´s Sarah Garlando´s mother Maria Garlando (code name: Arima Uran). She survived the fire on the old shrine.

5layer said:

EDIT: Apparently the visual novel has the same plot holes as the anime. This story is missing the beginning and ending so there isn't really any way to make sense of it. We don't know where/when/how Setsuna (protagonist) was born and we don't know what happens after this anime ends now that Setsuna and Rinne are presumably working on a way to save the world from becoming another winter island. We also don't know why the world resets and plays out exactly the same way every time. Either the VN developers were lazy or they planned to make a sequel that explains these things.

The visual novel explains the origins of Setsuna (where/when/how), Setsuna was not trying to rescue Island, but Never Island. The visual novel also explains why the world resets. Read on your own risk these spoilers or additional informations

This explains some things but not all things. So at the start of this series Setsuna awakes from...I guess the past but he thinks he came from the future. Then he goes through the timeline meeting everyone for the first time but things get messed up and Rinne died. Kuon has him "go to the past" to save her daughter. Now that we know that the machine doesn't actually go to the past we can assume that Setsuna was brought further to the future. He wakes up in the same manner and everything happens again...which makes no sense. Rinne would still be dead and Koun would be dead or much much older. I get that they're trying to say that the earth "resets" but come on. There's no friggin way everything happens the same way each time. There has to be a better explanation in the VN.

Also, it's mentioned that the real owner of the mansion had a child named Setsuna with a mistress. Is this the same Setsuna as the Main character? Is this Setsuna the one that child Rinne falls in love with but her father says no to? I get the impression that there's a lot more that the show skipped on.
Sep 16, 2018 6:34 PM

Sep 2015
I'm used to shit animes and I do not fear any anime. But that thing... It scared me.
Sep 16, 2018 7:09 PM

May 2017
Generic harem with a beta protagonist 1/10

Best girl appears 10/10

But NTR and edgy Island Rinne might win 1/10

Best girl gets a happy ending 10/10

Hell of a ride, idgaf
LairucremSep 24, 2018 6:04 AM
Sep 16, 2018 7:26 PM

Oct 2015
We kinda guessed Kuon's identity but not the how she became like that, I must say for a while there it had a good comeback. But there is a lot I wanted to ask like who really is this fake Setsuna, they never told us who he is? And some other questions that may make my post an essay.

But overall it was a bad series for me and focused on unnecessary situations whilst it was bent on stringing this lane. The other characters were there to fill up the series and nothing else. I didn't feel the romance between those two and plot twist didn't open my eyes. Since Kuon is now Rinne, what is the name of Rinne?

We were slapped a cheap romance by being given a cheap wedding, so lame. And also the mother was willing to give her child to the father, that was pretty sick.

4/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 16, 2018 8:04 PM

Nov 2011
Cyanwasserstoff said:
BestJo said:

I need an answerrr

It´s Sarah Garlando´s mother Maria Garlando (code name: Arima Uran). She survived the fire on the old shrine.

5layer said:

EDIT: Apparently the visual novel has the same plot holes as the anime. This story is missing the beginning and ending so there isn't really any way to make sense of it. We don't know where/when/how Setsuna (protagonist) was born and we don't know what happens after this anime ends now that Setsuna and Rinne are presumably working on a way to save the world from becoming another winter island. We also don't know why the world resets and plays out exactly the same way every time. Either the VN developers were lazy or they planned to make a sequel that explains these things.

The visual novel explains the origins of Setsuna (where/when/how), Setsuna was not trying to rescue Island, but Never Island. The visual novel also explains why the world resets. Read on your own risk these spoilers or additional informations

So that explain why in never island (i dont remember what episode) she says to a guard or someone that setsuna is her brother (
I thought that was just one thing she said to evade that guard, but I see that it was not like that)
Sep 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Nov 2011
DeathfireD said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

This explains some things but not all things. So at the start of this series Setsuna awakes from...I guess the past but he thinks he came from the future. Then he goes through the timeline meeting everyone for the first time but things get messed up and Rinne died. Kuon has him "go to the past" to save her daughter. Now that we know that the machine doesn't actually go to the past we can assume that Setsuna was brought further to the future. He wakes up in the same manner and everything happens again...which makes no sense. Rinne would still be dead and Koun would be dead or much much older. I get that they're trying to say that the earth "resets" but come on. There's no friggin way everything happens the same way each time. There has to be a better explanation in the VN.

Also, it's mentioned that the real owner of the mansion had a child named Setsuna with a mistress. Is this the same Setsuna as the Main character? Is this Setsuna the one that child Rinne falls in love with but her father says no to? I get the impression that there's a lot more that the show skipped on.

Page 1 post 25, there is the answer of who is that setsuna.
Sep 16, 2018 8:35 PM

Mar 2018
Bad adaptation, should have stayed as a VN...
Sep 16, 2018 8:44 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
DeathfireD said:

Do you know the term time reset ? It is like the entire planet earth is going back in time, with it the plants, people, animals - Everything on the planet earth. The Cold Sleep Chamber does isolate him and protect him. It is like a shelter. That is why his own time is not reseted, too.

Setsuna Sansenkei / Setsuna O`hara from Never Island caused Never Island to ruin, he and his sister Rinné found a machine they assumed to be a time machine. They finished it and fell in love with each other. They had sex resulting in her getting pregnant.

In the first time loop, he simple wanted to return in time before he mess everything up and kill himself. Instead he was frozen 20,000 years. Rinné did follow him, but has awoken 23 years before him. Kuon and Norimasa Ohara found her, without even remembering her name (in the novel) and took her in as maid. Both also had an son they called Setsuna. After 9 month the nameless maid gave birth to a girl who she called Rinne. She did start to remember her past bit by bit. Kuon and Norimasa suffered from Soot Blight Syndrome, so they needed a healthy girl to continue their family name. They adopted the daughter of the maid as their own. Kuon could not accept it finally and started to bully Rinne early on.

10 years before the anime starts, Ohara Kuon was about to kill her adopted daughter Rinne. Norimasa had to kill her to prevent this to happen. Rinne was malnourished at that time because of Kuon and to explain this situation he made up a story about Rinne falling down the cliff and had been found 3 days later.
Norimasa forced the nameless maid into the role of Kuon Ohara. From that day on she took her name and place to protect her own daughter Rinne.
The 13 year old Rinne found the hut of their private beach. The original son of the family of Ohara, called Setsuna was banned from the mainhouse to live there. Setsuna Ohara suffered from Soot Blight Syndrome (do not confuse him with the main protag Setsuna Sansenkai like what Rinne did). Rinne and Setsuna Ohara shared a lot of tiime with each other, telling stories and they slowly fell in love with each other. 5 years later, Norimasa found out about their secret relationship. It was before dawn. Norimasa throw his own son Setsuna off the cliff and tried to pull Rinne back to the mansion. Before he could manage that he was exposed to the sunlight and died shortly after. Rinne saw that Setsuna was still holding on a rock and tried to get him back on land. She failed and both fell in the sea. They got flooded up to the small Island of Boryujima. On that Island was no food, no drinking water. Setsuna Ohara found a cave that hold some strange device (The Cold Sleep Chamber). He did not know entirely what it was about, but he found out that it has a life supporting system. He put Rinne inside and died on the little Island.

5 years later, Rinne was found on Boryujima and rescued by the nameless maid aka Kuon. Rinne has not aged a bit, because the Cold Sleep Chamber prevented her aging.

A few month later, Setsuna Sansenkei traveled to this point of time on this Island with only his name and the name of the girl he had to save "Rinne". He mistook the girl Rinne for the girl he had to save and the events took place

He used the Cold Sleep Chamber again, but while using it earth time has been resetted to the time of Never Island. He traveled to the past.
The Cold Sleep Chamber has the side effect of amnesia. The Setsuna Sansenkai (O`hara) of that time did vanish 5 years before him arriving (because he used the Cold Sleep Chamber or the cause and effect have changed the outcome). Setsuna Sansenkai , who arrived from Island was found by the kind girl Rinné. He resembled her brother a lot (because he is the 5 years older version of him anyways), but because her brother should be dead and that this guy seemed to come from a different place then Never Islamd, Rinné did not want to confuse him with her lost brother.
The events of Never Island took place, Setsuna got the ID necklace of the brother of Rinné and worked as bodyguard from the church leader´s daughter Sarah Garland and as spy for Karin Kurtz, leader of Neo-Avalon.
A misunderstanding of Sarah being pregnant cause the Island to fall apart. And Setsuna himself caused this misunderstanding.

The church killed the father of Sarah, blamed Sarah and her bodyguard Setsuna to be the killer. Setsuna escaped with Karin and Rinné. Karin was exposed to the sun and died. Setsuna went with her to the outside - his fault again.
Rinné and Setsuna managed to make the machine, they assumed to be a time machine. He wanted to go back to the time before he was found by Rinné. He wanted to kill himself before he even made contact with her, but it was not a time machine. He slept for 20,000 years and arrived on Island, again

The earth time will reset itself, again. He would be protected and sheltered by the Cold Sleep Chamber, wake up on Never Island, again. He would suffer from the side effect of amnesia, would repeat his mistakes, would go in the Cold Sleep Chamber, again.

An endless loop - until finally he remembered the name "Rinné" instead of "Rinne" on the time of Island. In the novel he chosed to use the Cold Sleep Chamber to get back to the girl he truely love. That time he only remembered her name, Rinné. It seems like in the novel he never escaped the loop.

SkyLETV said:

Now, if the machine is not a time machine but only serves to sleep, how is it that Setsuna and Rinne appear automatically and do not have to be awakened?

I will answer your questions using my knowledge having read the visual novel. Never Island was a dieing world, humanity was close to exstinct and had to grow from nothing to a new society. Setsuna traveled 20,000 years in the future (Cold Sleep Chamber, CSC) and arrived there on Island, while Rinné followed him and had arrived 23 years before.

After reusing the CSC, a chrinoquake did happen and resetted earth time to the point of Never Island (oscillation of earth faster then the speed of light). Setsuna himself was protected, sheltered in the CSC - his time was not resetted. He then woke up with no memories at all on Never Island (back in the past).

SkyLETV said:

What happened to the present Setsuna, who according to the flashback is the true son of the Oharas? Why from one of the books fell a piece of paper that said he had to die? Why wasn't he living in the house?

The son of the original Ohara Kuon and Norimasa called Setsuna suffered from the Soot Blight Syndrome. In his conditions he could not continue the Ohara family name. They also had to make sure the other 2 families would not know about them having a son with this disease. They banned him in the hut on the private beach.
After Norimasa found out about his son having a secret relationship with Rinne (the daughter of Setsuna Sansenkai and Rinné O´hara), he tried to kill him throwing him off the cliff. Unfortunately the sun was about to rise and before Norimasa could pull Rinne back to the mansion, he died by the Soot Blight Syndrome (because he had suffered from the illness way longer then his son and the sun made the effects even stronger).
Setsuna Ohara hold on a rock and the cliff protected him from the slowly rising sun. Rinne tried to pull him back on land, but failed. Both fell in the sea and were washed up on the Island Boryujima. There he found a strange device in a cave. The Island itself has no food or drinking water, but the strange device has a life support. That is why he put Rinne inside and died on the Island (either because of his illness Soot Blight Syndrome or simple because there was not drinking water on the Island)

SkyLETV said:

What about the cave? Who built all that? When? Because it works in the past when Rinne sleeps 5 years and is still active when the protagonists leave NI in the future.

The cave was about more then 20,000 years old. It was the workshop from Rinné of Never Island. There she build the Cold Sleep Chamber. After Setsuna left her, she used her knowledge to make the "cave" a second Cold Sleep Chamber.

SkyLETV said:

Also, in which machine does Kuon sleep? In the one where Setsuna woke up? How does it still work?
Kuon slept in the cave, her own workshop. She used her knowledge to make this "room" to a second Cold Sleep Chamber.

SkyLETV said:

And finally, what is the age difference between Setsuna and Kuon in the present, Kuon must have 37 but Setsuna? :P

Rinné (Kuon) is 36 years old, Setsuna is 20 years old. If you count the time he and she slept in the CSC, then she would be 20036+ and he would be older then 100.000 of years (he repeated his time travel in the CSC many many times over)
CyanwasserstoffSep 17, 2018 3:27 AM
Sep 16, 2018 9:39 PM
Nov 2017
So that was a thing that happened.

Let's click on Completed and never speak of this again.
Sep 16, 2018 10:53 PM

Nov 2016
Still weird for me. No time travel, just sleep and the world repeated. So, what happen to Kuon (real Rinne) in the time when Rinne (daughter) died. What happen to other heroines? So, Setsuna never dies and life for 20,000 years? Other heroines died and repeated (live again) but Setsuna not? And so many questions in my head, very confusing -_- . At least the ending is happy ending.
Nice to meet you.......
はじめまして。。。。。。。。。
Sep 16, 2018 11:55 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Stepch said:
Still weird for me. No time travel, just sleep and the world repeated.

In the novel the world repeated because the time of the entire planet got resetted after a certain time period. Setsuna was sheltered and protected and did travel that way to the past. Never Island is the past world, who almost died and where human society had to restart itself.

Stepch said:

So, what happen to Kuon (real Rinne) in the time when Rinne (daughter) died.

In that time Setsuna traveled back in time to Never island, while in that timeline Rinné (Kuon) will be able to build a cold sleep chamber herself (maybe).
Stepch said:

What happen to other heroines?

Sarah Garland and Karin Kurtz from Never Island got reborn 20,000 years later as Sarah Garlando and Karen Kurutsu. The fate of their family name will still last on their shoulders.
Karma will be reincarnated as well.
Stepch said:

So, Setsuna never dies and life for 20,000 years?

Setsuna is the time traveler through the past Never Island and the future Island. He did not die yet and he is constantly repeating the same loop over and over, again.
Stepch said:

Other heroines died and repeated (live again) but Setsuna not? And so many questions in my head, very confusing -_- . At least the ending is happy ending.

Only Rinné (Never Island) and Setsuna used the Cold Sleep Chamber. The girls Sarah Garlando and Karen Kurutsu were the incarnations of Sarah Garland and Karin Kurtz.
Sep 17, 2018 12:44 AM

Nov 2016
Cyanwasserstoff said:

Stepch said:

In that time Setsuna traveled back in time to Never island, while in that timeline Rinné (Kuon) will be able to build a cold sleep chamber herself (maybe).

So, Rinné also sleep on chamber (following Setsuna) from Rinne died time to NI time? But, why Rinné in NI looks younger, and in NI, Rinné looks like never sleep in chamber. This anime mystery is even more than Kimi No Nawa :D

I know 12 episodes anime can't tell the full story of VN. So, nevermind.
StepchSep 17, 2018 1:13 AM
Nice to meet you.......
はじめまして。。。。。。。。。
Sep 17, 2018 1:01 AM

May 2015
"I am your father."

"No....No....That is not true! THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE!"

AND WE HAVE COME FULL CIRCLE!

So early on it was kind of confusing, then it started rushing, but it all ends happy. This needed to be at least 24 episodes for all the rushing. But overall I liked it. I'm glad that I stuck with Island. From the future to the past and back again.

Final Verdict:
No Rinne is an Island/10
Sep 17, 2018 1:13 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Stepch said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

So, Rinné also sleep on chamber (following Setsuna) from Rinne died time to NI time? But, why Rinné in NI looks younger, and in NI, Setsuna and Rinné looks like they are never separate, or I miss something? This anime mystery is even more than Kimi No Nawa :D

I know 12 episodes anime can't tell the full story of VN. So, nevermind.

The Rinné (Kuon) in the Island time also tried to make the blue prints for the Cold Sleep Chamber, but it will most likely never be finished. In that time she will have an isolated life full of regret.

Never Island Rinné is the one who was born in that time. She was 13-years old. In the end Never Island was about to collapse and she send Setsuna to the future. She tried to follow him with the workplace as Cold Sleep Chamber number 2, but woke up 23 years too early.

Setsuna also was born in the time of Never Island. He is her older brother related by blood.
Sep 17, 2018 4:59 AM
Mar 2017
Stepch said:
Still weird for me. No time travel, just sleep and the world repeated.

In the novel the world repeated because the time of the entire planet got resetted after a certain time period. Setsuna was sheltered and protected and did travel that way to the past. Never Island is the past world, who almost died and where human society had to restart itself.

Stepch said:

Stepch said:

What happen to other heroines?

Sarah Garland and Karin Kurtz from Never Island got reborn 20,000 years later as Sarah Garlando and Karen Kurutsu. The fate of their family name will still last on their shoulders.
Stepch said:

So, Setsuna never dies and life for 20,000 years?

Setsuna is the time traveler through the past Never Island and the future Island. He did not die yet and he is constantly repeating the same loop over and over, again.
Stepch said:

Other heroines died and repeated (live again) but Setsuna not? And so many questions in my head, very confusing -_- . At least the ending is happy ending.

Only Rinné (Never Island) and Setsuna used the Cold Sleep Chamber. The girls Sarah Garlando and Karen Kurutsu were the incarnations of Sarah Garland and Karin Kurtz.

I still can not understand what
"Never island" is from the past, and "Island" from the future, as you say ...

if in "Never Island" humanity is in extinction and only the island remains (besides having a great technology), that would not be an indication that they are in a much more advanced time of "Island"? ..

Or perhaps you mean that; As the world rebounded, the protagonist returned to the past, because as humanity was about to extinguish the world was restarted by the chrono-earthquake. and that's why "Never Island" is a thing of the past

I do not know what I said, but explain to me so that I understand what you referred to.
(maybe it's the translator that I use, but I think it's something that I misinterpret, explain me better, please)
FireCrauterSep 17, 2018 5:17 AM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Sep 17, 2018 5:24 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
FireCrauter said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

I still can not understand what
"Never island" is from the past, and "Island" from the future, as you say ...

if in "Never Island" humanity is in extinction and only the island remains (besides having a great technology), that would not be an indication that they are in a much more advanced time of "Island"? ..

Or perhaps you mean that; As the world rebounded, the protagonist returned to the past, because as humanity was about to extinguish the world was restarted by the chrono-earthquake. and that's why "Never Island" is a thing of the past

After the events of Never Island humanity has lost almost everything. The human standard was lost and the society has to restart everything. Humanity survived and got back to a great developing society and technology standard. That is the time of Island.

In the visual novel, Momoka found the remains of the old workshop, where Setsuna and Rinné worked on the Cold Sleep Chamber and close to that the remains of the Island with the different strata. She used the carbon dating method and found out that the remains are about 20,000 years old. Setsuna came from 20,000 years ago to this future, while Rinné did follow him and almost succeeded (a misscalculation of 23 years)
CyanwasserstoffSep 17, 2018 6:23 AM
Sep 17, 2018 8:53 AM
Apr 2016
So there's no time travel in Island so it's a another Rewrite (Tennouji Kotarou) Which is when the world depleted it resource it will go another process of evolution which will wipe out all living things and start to 0. But this not explain how the body of Setsuna and Rinne (Kuon) will endure the process of yet another evolution (Plothole) then survive until they wash/awake to their slumber to the current timeline. Atleast in Rewrite it is explain how its process of evolution and how its repeat the same history because of Kagari (Moon) to find a way to change the endless cycle of end and beginning of Earth.
Another plothole is Setsuna (MC). Where he is from? When he was born? Why the first time he wash offshore his mission is to kill Setsuna (Himself??) What he is? A time paradox? But if you guys say that he is from the past that have a great technological advancement then why the world is like thaf?
But then again what about Rinne (Kuon) in the future? Does the Rinne (Kuon) got another child to pass her family name? In Never winter Rinne got alot of advance blueprint to build her time stopping machine which came from herself to the past?
So confusing. So many question, so little time to explain.
It will be nice of they learn from stein's gate to extend a freaking VN into a 20+ episode.
Wtf, I think the VN will have explain this more than the anime (P.S. never knew that this had VN)
rome023Sep 17, 2018 9:18 AM
Sep 17, 2018 10:06 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
The anime did not explain the things very properly. I will use the knowledge of the VN to answer your questions

rome023 said:
So there's no time travel in Island so it's a another Rewrite (Tennouji Kotarou) Which is when the world depleted it resource it will go another process of evolution which will wipe out all living things and start to 0. But this not explain how the body of Setsuna and Rinne (Kuon) will endure the process of yet another evolution (Plothole) then survive until they wash/awake to their slumber to the current timeline.

There is time travel happening, but in a different way we are used to. The earth will suffer from a chrono-quake that will reset earth time to a certain time periode (Never Island). The Cold Sleep Chamber is a shelter and protect it´s user from any outside effects. It even protect them for the effect of time reset.
Setsuna traveled from the past Never Island to the future Island. Rinné (already pregnant) tried to follow him, but woke up 23 years before him.
Then after Rinne (Island, his daughter) died, he tried to save her using the Cold Sleep Chamber. In that time a chrono-quake did happen and put the earth time back to the age of Never Island. Setsuna was protected while the earth time got resetted.

rome023 said:

Another plothole is Setsuna (MC). Where he is from? When he was born?

He was born 3 years before Rinné (Never Island) and they both have the same parents. That means they are blood-related brother and sister.
rome023 said:

Why the first time he wash offshore his mission is to kill Setsuna (Himself??) What he is? A time paradox?

Setsuna caused a very bad butterfly effect. He caused the misunderstanding that Sarah Garland would be pregnant. Her father was about to set the identification system back active, while a different fraction of the church wanted to prevent this to happen at all cost. This was the start of an war between the different fraction of Never Island, Sarah get killed and Karin died because she was exposed to sunlight, because Setsuna took her outside.

The only way to prevent the down fall of Never Island was to travel back and kill himself before he was found by his sister Rinné. He did not know that the machine was actually a Cold Sleep Chamber and that he would go to the future instead of the past.

rome023 said:

But if you guys say that he is from the past that have a great technological advancement then why the world is like thaf?

In the time of Never Island humanity went almost extinct, lost most of their technology in the process. Humanity had to start from close to nothing. They had to develop themself, again. Where to get the materials, when the world is in that bad condition ??

rome023 said:

But then again what about Rinne (Kuon) in the future? Does the Rinne (Kuon) got another child to pass her family name? In Never winter Rinne got alot of advance blueprint to build her time stopping machine which came from herself to the past?

Rinné (Kuon) had sex with Setsuna before he left her using the Cold Sleep Chamber. Rinné could not accept to be alone by herself and she used her knowledge to make the workshop a second Cold Sleep Chamber.

Remember the Single-CD with the title Island Setsuna had with him ?? In one of his loop travels he gave Rinné this CD who contains the blue-prints from Rinné from an earlier time loop.

rome023 said:

So confusing. So many question, so little time to explain.
It will be nice of they learn from stein's gate to extend a freaking VN into a 20+ episode.
Wtf, I think the VN will have explain this more than the anime (P.S. never knew that this had VN)

If you have any additional questions, I will try to answer them :D
CyanwasserstoffSep 18, 2018 12:23 AM
Sep 18, 2018 1:55 AM
Feb 2014
So, did mom-Rinne low key imply that Setsuna should get together with daughter-Rinne?
Sep 18, 2018 3:54 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
The anime did also cut the more gruesome scenes out. This is how Karin Kurtz suffering from Soot Blight Syndrome, looked in the novel. Most of her body was like burned deep into the flesh of her body:

Sep 18, 2018 4:11 AM

Jan 2017
Wow... I don't know if I really enjoyed this anime. I was intrigued with the first few series.. that interest tapered off and got a WTF moment with the future. But I think the saving grace for this anime vs all the others that disappoint was that it had a good end. Not a good anime but it wrapped up and allowed me to move on. At least better than Jashin Drop Kick for me..
Sep 18, 2018 5:23 AM

Nov 2011
That explains a lot Cyanwasserstoff, so thanks. Well I guess the ending was satisfying.
Sep 18, 2018 7:48 AM

Dec 2014
well a happy end ..I really like this ending.... everyone got want they wanted.... atleast in was not open ended
Sep 18, 2018 12:48 PM

May 2018
And now it ends with alotta confusion and plot holes.
Sep 18, 2018 6:06 PM

Nov 2012
Finally! Some good fucking happy ending for Rinné that she deserves, the VN didn't do it justice by having it somewhat ambiguous though implied that Rinné end is the true end, but seeing it directly is way better.
The anime is bad for changing and taking out so many things, true end cemented, the new scenes and seeing the characters being animated salvaged it somehow for me.

Cyanwasserstoff said:

Somehow plausible, but I have to disagree.

Sep 18, 2018 9:34 PM

Dec 2016
All right, there was a ton of shit that I just did not understand because the anime completely glossed over it. The only reason why the plot even half makes sense to me now is because I read the comments in this thread. This show really needed to be longer than twelve episodes, and they needed to explain things in greater detail. The whole part about the second Setsuna was lost on me, as it was to apparently many other people. The anime also said that Setsuna never went back in time, and yet posts in here are saying that time was in fact reset. If you're going to make a plot this convoluted, you need to spend a decent amount of time explaining it. The anime failed to do that.

But even ignoring all that, I still thought the ending was ridiculous. The whole idea of Kuon being okay with her 'husband' having a romantic relationship with their daughter is disgusting. I also cannot understand why Kuon knowingly gave up her relationship with Setsuna and refused to tell him the truth, aside from the fact that she wanted to make Rinne happy... Well, guess what: lying to your family members and setting up an incestuous relationship without their consent is a terrible way to go about that. Setsuna and Rinne on that Oldboy shit.

I am glad that they did not choose to go with the incest route, but even so, the ending was unsatisfying. We were supposed to be happy for Setsuna and Kuon, but we only got what, two or three episodes detailing their relationship? Meanwhile, the entire rest of the show was devoted to Setsuna and Rinne's romantic relationship. It feels weird that the show spent so much time focusing on Rinne and Setsuna being in love and only spent a couple episodes on the actual couple (Kuon and Setsuna). Like I said in earlier threads, the Never Island part really needed to be a lot longer, especially now that I know who Setsuna ends up with. There just wasn't enough material in the Never Island part of the anime to convince me that Setsuna and Kuon are meant for each other or whatever.

And what ever happened to saving the world? The anime makes no mention of how they're going to fix the fact that the world keeps resetting itself and how they are going to save the people who died on Never Island.

Overall, I am conflicted about this show. The plot and explanations were handled terribly, and yet the show did have a unique current to it that kept me interested all the way to the end. For all its flaws (and there were many), Island did end up being somewhat enjoyable, so I'll probably give it a 5-6/10.

What's the difference?
Sep 18, 2018 10:33 PM

Oct 2017
Wtf I thought for sure this Anime was doomed to fail and couldn't get any better, but this last episode proved me wrong. This was probably the shows best episode. There are still a lot of plot holes but still it was a redeeming episode.
Sep 19, 2018 4:48 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
First of all, I really appreciate your participation in the discussion. I really love the VN Island and yeah, it also changed my perspective on the anime, too. Maybe that is why how I could really enjoy this strongly limited anime adaption. I do enjoy any discussion about the story of Island and even more with someone who also have read the novel.

plasmacannon said:

Somehow plausible, but I have to disagree.

The visual novel is like a giant puzzle with many pieces to fit in the entire image. That is why there is plenty of room for discussion.

Also :

With this in mind, I will explain how my theory of Setsuna could still be possible without violating the world-building rules of Island

I remember all the endings and the events that happened, because I re-read the VN a second time and finished today.

Rinné was also the one, who made the usage of chrono-quakes as method for time traveling possible. She did change the CSC that it would cause an interference to the oscillation movement of the earth. That is why the user of the CSC would escape the effects.

About the RE: - True End
CyanwasserstoffSep 19, 2018 8:23 AM
Sep 19, 2018 6:04 AM

Oct 2008
oh such a romantic episode...and I didn't even noticed that this is the last episode...
but it wasn't such a shock for me that this is the series this season that first got finished since this is the show that started first in the season line-up.
it was good even if the story is a bit confusing.
5/5.
7/10.

Sep 19, 2018 8:50 AM
Jun 2017
Happy ending- as Setsuna and Rinne (the real Rinne) has crossed the time for their love to continue... and thus their daughter gave back her name to the original owner.

And even in final episode it uncover the final mystery of the series- as who is Rinne.

Love this one..
Sep 19, 2018 11:01 AM
Sep 2018
Poderia ter a segunda temporada
Sep 19, 2018 11:33 AM
Jun 2014
Kuon for the most anime was just side character and what she gets a happy ending... pfft thats the most ridiculous thing ever. i liked the anime until like 4 episodes back when kuon entered the game. the ending sucked! I want rinne (daughter ) to end up with setsuna!
Sep 19, 2018 12:23 PM
Sep 2015
J4sm1n4 said:
Kuon for the most anime was just side character and what she gets a happy ending... pfft thats the most ridiculous thing ever. i liked the anime until like 4 episodes back when kuon entered the game. the ending sucked! I want rinne (daughter ) to end up with setsuna!

I really liked the ending, actually. But the way it was exceuted might have been kinda ridiculous to anime-only watchers.
I think the anime would have been better, had it just stopped at ep 8 with Rinne NOT dying and marrying Setsuna or something. It would have fixed the pacing, too.
Or better yet, if it had gone 2-cour and adapted the Never Island arc properly!
Sep 19, 2018 2:21 PM
May 2017
Thanks for your amazing explanations Cyanwasserstoff sensei. I have some questions below too, if you don't mind.
Cyanwasserstoff said:

Do you know the term time reset ? It is like the entire planet earth is going back in time, with it the plants, people, animals - Everything on the planet earth. The Cold Sleep Chamber does isolate him and protect him. It is like a shelter. That is why his own time is not reseted, too.

1. Is it explained in the VN at what point in the future the reset occurs and why it goes precisely to Never Island?
2. Moreover, does the reset happen in the beginning of Never Island (when it is first discovered by settlers) or at some point when Never Island has matured as a society?
3. Wouldn't it logically make more sense to go the beginning of time (origin of the universe)?
4. Who built the first "time" chamber?
5. If the amnesia is the side effect of the CSC, what makes the last loop different such that Setsuna is able to recall a lot more information (such as Karen trying to sneak off in the boat...he even remembers a very minor detail such as the phone call at the station was from her father)?
6. How many loops took place approximately?
7. In the grand scheme of things, isn't the fact that time keeps resetting a much bigger issue to resolve? Rinne and Setsuna's issues seem trivial in this context.
8. Related to the above, is it explained in the VN why this whole time resetting issue started in the first place and why it continues to occur?
bigger_benSep 19, 2018 2:25 PM
Sep 19, 2018 9:25 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
For the answer´s of your question I have re-read the most important parts of the world of Island:

bigger_ben said:
Thanks for your amazing explanations Cyanwasserstoff sensei. I have some questions below too, if you don't mind.
1. Is it explained in the VN at what point in the future the reset occurs and why it goes precisely to Never Island?

bigger_ben said:

2. Moreover, does the reset happen in the beginning of Never Island (when it is first discovered by settlers) or at some point when Never Island has matured as a society?

bigger_ben said:

3. Wouldn't it logically make more sense to go the beginning of time (origin of the universe)?

bigger_ben said:

4. Who built the first "time" chamber?

bigger_ben said:

5. If the amnesia is the side effect of the CSC, what makes the last loop different such that Setsuna is able to recall a lot more information (such as Karen trying to sneak off in the boat...he even remembers a very minor detail such as the phone call at the station was from her father)?

He did repeat the same loop over and over, again. It was random luck that he remembered the name Rinné instead of Rinne. The memories are not deleted. It needs a trigger for him to remember and that trigger was his memory based on the name Rinné and the girl who found him on the beach
. There he could make the connection that lead to regain some of his memories.

bigger_ben said:

6. How many loops took place approximately?

This is very uncertain, but Rinné always wrote her name and the name of the person she fell in love with inside of the CSC and the front inner wall of the CSC was almost completely covered with the names of Rinne and Setsuna. That looked like both repeated the same cycle 100´s of times, again and again.

bigger_ben said:

7. In the grand scheme of things, isn't the fact that time keeps resetting a much bigger issue to resolve? Rinne and Setsuna's issues seem trivial in this context.

bigger_ben said:

8. Related to the above, is it explained in the VN why this whole time resetting issue started in the first place and why it continues to occur?

CyanwasserstoffSep 20, 2018 1:12 AM
Sep 20, 2018 8:11 AM
Feb 2017
Oh yeah sure anime. Just give out an absolutely ridiculous and complex concept all in 1 episode and expect me to just believe it. And it deals with time travel too. Sure sure cool cool. 😑
Sep 20, 2018 9:57 PM
May 2015
Idk man.. this anime just wasn't the one. I liked the ending. I'd say it resolved nicely, but everything in the middle was just a nope. Not the type of anime to finish in just 12 episodes. Kudos to me and everyone else that managed to stick through it from beginning to end. However, there's absolutely 0 rewatchability, and I'm glad I don't have more to go through. It truly just kinda feels like I wasted 12 weeks without how things were explained at the end. Lol I can go on and on about my disappoint, but alas, it's over. Happy ending. Woohoo
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Sep 22, 2018 6:39 AM

Apr 2013
Well that was dreadful. Really couldn't make sense of most of it; even the random idol songs they shoved in here and there weren't really any good. Oh well, at least our main man ended up goosing the silver haired loli idol wannabe girl..
Sep 22, 2018 7:31 AM

Mar 2009
Honestly a nice ending. This was obviously a complex VN to adapt(given the premise), especially with only 12 episodes, so no wonder why it was so confusing to many, myself included. That's always an issue when it comes to these VN adaptations. But by the end, I feel like I understood most of it, even if some details were left out.

I liked Karen and Sarah a lot. And Sarah's mother is still alive, huh? She was hiding behind the tree at the end. She avoided Sarah for all this time? That's sad. :(

Also, huge shout-outs to @Cyanwasserstoff for going above and beyond in explaining everything about this series, especially for being very polite when people keep asking the same questions in here lol.

Sep 22, 2018 7:54 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Mormegil said:
Honestly a nice ending. This was obviously a complex VN to adapt(given the premise), especially with only 12 episodes, so no wonder why it was so confusing to many, myself included. That's always an issue when it comes to these VN adaptations. But by the end, I feel like I understood most of it, even if some details were left out.

Especially with two different story parts (the age of Island and the age of Never Island), the other characters with their own kind of problems and the story idea (time travel through time reversing/time reset) there was plenty of material that would fit into a more detailed two-season version much better.

Mormegil said:

I liked Karen and Sarah a lot. And Sarah's mother is still alive, huh? She was hiding behind the tree at the end. She avoided Sarah for all this time? That's sad. :(

Mormegil said:

Also, huge shout-outs to @Cyanwasserstoff for going above and beyond in explaining everything about this series, especially for being very polite when people keep asking the same questions in here lol.

You are welcome. I did enjoy Island as VN and the anime as bonus and I also enjoy discussions in general.
CyanwasserstoffSep 22, 2018 7:58 AM
Sep 22, 2018 8:46 AM

May 2015
I thought this was a failed of an adaptation of what I thought to be a decent VN, but its what it is. An OK finale doesn’t make up for how most of it was handled.

3/10

Mormegil said:

I agree with that statement.... A will say it as well, and thanks @Cyanwasserstoff for all... You didn’t really have to do all that, but you did it anyways in a well and respectful manner, so I think users should be more appreciative of that.
zero-rSep 24, 2018 10:13 AM

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Sep 22, 2018 9:17 AM

Mar 2009
Cyanwasserstoff said:

Mormegil said:

Sep 22, 2018 11:56 AM

Feb 2018
I didn't hate the show, in fact I kind of liked it. I do intend to read the VN later though.
Sep 24, 2018 10:21 AM
Jul 2008
I actually was expecting this anime to be at least half good as Grisaia, but the anime is confusing that you need to read explanation from the people who read the VN. Sara explained about butterfly effect, telling us that even smallest change would make the future different. But somehow this anime can disregard butterfly effect and make the world identical again except the place where the protagonist need to change.

That's why I'm quite disappointed by how the 'time travel' works in this anime. The writer seems to want to make the 'time travel' as scientific as possible but in my opinion failed to do so. We also didn't get explanation about the Soot Bright Syndrome and why it's only on the Island. Why even for thousand of years there's no cure for it? Was the syndrome cause by the time travel? It cursed the Island?

Overal the anime is decent, while not bad it's also not good.

------

@Cyanwasserstoff
Hi, I read your explanation about the story. Can I ask about some things? First I'll summarize what I got from your explanation.

Setsuna(let's call him 1stSetsuna) has a sister called Rinne(let's call her 1stRinne). 1st Setsuna wanted to turn back in time to kill himself to save Sara. Instead of going to past, he's actually going to the future(Island). He somehow got stranded on the beach[1] and somehow Karen found him[2]. At this time 1stRinne was already became Kuon and arrived 24 years prior[3]. The child Rinne after that died and 1stRinne told him about the sleep machine. 1stSetsuna then decided to use the machine to go to the 'future' to find who created the machine he used to go to the 'past', planning to turn back to past to save the child Rinne, and left 1stRinne there[4].

Because of the time distortion, instead of going to future, now he's going to past(so convenient). 2ndRinne then found the machine and extracted 1stSetsuna from there. Because of time distortion, 2ndRinne 'real' brother was already dead before 1stSetsuna arrived and 1stSetsuna lost his memories again. After that, tragedy happened again and 1stSetsuna used the machine again to travel to the 'future'. 2ndRinne then followed him(again) and 1stSetsuna got stranded again on the beach without the machine[5].

After that 1stSetsuna (because of RNG) somehow remembered the 2ndRinne and all the things he experienced before[6]. He solved all the islands' problem and 1stSetsuna happily married with 2ndRinne.[7]

1. Why he got stranded on the beach? Where's the cold sleep machine?
2. Why did she turn back suddenly when walking with friends and went to beach where she found him?
3. So she's now around 36 years old?
4. She cannot follow him tp the 'future' right? Which means 1stRinne died at this timeline.
5. Where's the machine? No explanation why Rinne's machine was still intact but his machine was gone without trace. Wasn't his machine supposed to be in the workshop too?
6. But he still can't remember the very first time why he got stranded?
7. She couldn't be the 1stRinne because if she's the 1stRinne, she would be 24+24+13 years old by the 2nd loop. Also 2 person can't exists in the same time and when 2ndRinne found him she did not recognize him as her brother. So the one he married was 2ndRinne right?
Sep 24, 2018 12:56 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
LeonLanford said:

@Cyanwasserstoff
Hi, I read your explanation about the story. Can I ask about some things? First I'll summarize what I got from your explanation.

Setsuna(let's call him 1stSetsuna) has a sister called Rinne(let's call her 1stRinne). 1st Setsuna wanted to turn back in time to kill himself to save Sara. Instead of going to past, he's actually going to the future(Island). He somehow got stranded on the beach[1] and somehow Karen found him[2]. At this time 1stRinne was already became Kuon and arrived 24 years prior[3]. The child Rinne after that died and 1stRinne told him about the sleep machine. 1stSetsuna then decided to use the machine to go to the 'future' to find who created the machine he used to go to the 'past', planning to turn back to past to save the child Rinne, and left 1stRinne there[4].

Because of the time distortion, instead of going to future, now he's going to past(so convenient). 2ndRinne then found the machine and extracted 1stSetsuna from there. Because of time distortion, 2ndRinne 'real' brother was already dead before 1stSetsuna arrived and 1stSetsuna lost his memories again. After that, tragedy happened again and 1stSetsuna used the machine again to travel to the 'future'. 2ndRinne then followed him(again) and 1stSetsuna got stranded again on the beach without the machine[5].

After that 1stSetsuna (because of RNG) somehow remembered the 2ndRinne and all the things he experienced before[6]. He solved all the islands' problem and 1stSetsuna happily married with 2ndRinne.[7]

1. Why he got stranded on the beach? Where's the cold sleep machine?
2. Why did she turn back suddenly when walking with friends and went to beach where she found him?
3. So she's now around 36 years old?
4. She cannot follow him tp the 'future' right? Which means 1stRinne died at this timeline.
5. Where's the machine? No explanation why Rinne's machine was still intact but his machine was gone without trace. Wasn't his machine supposed to be in the workshop too?
6. But he still can't remember the very first time why he got stranded?
7. She couldn't be the 1stRinne because if she's the 1stRinne, she would be 24+24+13 years old by the 2nd loop. Also 2 person can't exists in the same time and when 2ndRinne found him she did not recognize him as her brother. So the one he married was 2ndRinne right?

CyanwasserstoffSep 24, 2018 2:15 PM
Sep 25, 2018 6:19 AM
Jul 2008
@Cyanwasserstoff

Wow really thanks for the long explanation! The story is definitely cannot be presented in just 12 anime episodes.

Sorry, I want to ask few more questions..

"She did not forgive him that he mistook their daughter Rinne for her (Rinné). They became at least friends with the same goal, again."

What goal?
Her attitude is quite different from the anime where she pushed him to be with her daughter instead.

"Maria Garlando found the missing gene problem that cause the Soot Blight Syndrome."

Maria is Sara's mother right? The one who faked her death? I forgot about the father, was he dead?
So they found the cause but couldn't find the cure? This is a bit unbelievable part to me.. Recently I read about genetic manipulation to fix hearing loss, so it's strange that human can't find a cure for 20k years

"Rinné did make the first CSC, it was a pilot seat stationair in her workshop with a mechanical fluid protection for it´s user. The fluid did isolate the user from the environment. "
"The moveable Cold Sleep Chamber is the more advanced one, that is capable of protecting it´s user from the time reset."

These sentences seem to be contradictive..? So the bed version was capable to protect the user but the chair version couldn't?
Sep 25, 2018 7:40 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
LeonLanford said:
@Cyanwasserstoff

Wow really thanks for the long explanation! The story is definitely cannot be presented in just 12 anime episodes.

Sorry, I want to ask few more questions..

Cyanwasserstoff said:
She did not forgive him that he mistook their daughter Rinne for her (Rinné). They became at least friends with the same goal, again.

What goal?
Her attitude is quite different from the anime where she pushed him to be with her daughter instead.

LeonLanford said:

Cyanwasserstoff said:
Maria Garlando found the missing gene problem that cause the Soot Blight Syndrome.

Maria is Sara's mother right? The one who faked her death? I forgot about the father, was he dead?
So they found the cause but couldn't find the cure? This is a bit unbelievable part to me.. Recently I read about genetic manipulation to fix hearing loss, so it's strange that human can't find a cure for 20k years

LeonLanford said:

Cyanwasserstoff said:
Rinné did make the first CSC, it was a pilot seat stationair in her workshop with a mechanical fluid protection for it´s user. The fluid did isolate the user from the environment.
The moveable Cold Sleep Chamber is the more advanced one, that is capable of protecting it´s user from the time reset.

These sentences seem to be contradictive..? So the bed version was capable to protect the user but the chair version couldn't?

CyanwasserstoffSep 25, 2018 7:46 AM
Sep 25, 2018 7:46 AM
Jul 2008
@Cyanwasserstoff
I see. Somehow I got most of it. Thanks! :)
Sep 25, 2018 7:55 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
@LeonLanford:

The main issue from the anime was the original length and depth of the part of Never Island. It was as long as a usual route in this novel. And the anime did cut it down extremely.

I almost forgot to answer one of your questions. It was about the father of Sarah Garlando and the husband of Maria.
CyanwasserstoffSep 25, 2018 10:45 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» About the adaptation

TEMPEST_1 - May 10

3 by ptero93 »»
May 10, 1:31 PM

Poll: » Island Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2018

81 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:14 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2018

67 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2018

85 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:12 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

51 by Miki42 »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.