Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 28, 2018 5:19 AM

Apr 2009
Dat effin plot twist.

One of the few times I can remember seeing an ending where none of the 'primary' girls in a harem-like setting win, but a dark horse candidate from the sidelines. Oh, and apparently Sara's mother is alive and kicking secretly watching the wedding from behind one of the trees.

Watching this has been like riding a roller coaster running well past its design speed... with malfunctioning brakes and small sections of the track completely missing, leaving the coaster to jump across the gaps... suffice to say, it was anything but boring for me; whether for good or bad is something else though.
Sep 28, 2018 7:28 AM
Jan 2017
What the Fuck With the ending,, so setsuna finally got his memory and know that he was fallin in love with kuon that rinne in past or future and get married,, so wat happen next with his mission to change the future,, do you thing after married kuon(Rinne) everything gonna be okay??
Suck this anime,,
Sep 28, 2018 7:31 AM
Jan 2017
at the overall the series it has interesting plot,, and make me wondered what mistery behind it all, but,, after the ending it so bad for me,, like you know something is incomplete,,
i think the ending not good it all..
Sep 28, 2018 12:10 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
x2kill4 said:
... know that he was fallin in love with kuon that rinne in past or future and get married,, so wat happen next with his mission to change the future,, do you thing after married kuon(Rinne) everything gonna be okay??

The world is still trapped in a time loop and Rinné (Kuon) and Setsuna are still searching for a way to save the world.
Sep 30, 2018 7:16 PM

Feb 2018
Why is that lady hiding behind that tree?
Is it me or does she looks like big boobs Sara?

Oct 1, 2018 3:20 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Kirishiba said:
Why is that lady hiding behind that tree?
Is it me or does she looks like big boobs Sara?

This question can only be guessed by the anime only watcher, but to clarify your question I will take information of the Visual Novel:

This is the very short explanation. She is not a time traveler or a different Sarah, or anything like that. That was all a misunderstanding from Sarah Garlando.

The only "time traveler" are Setsuna and Rinné (Kuon).
Oct 2, 2018 10:57 AM

Jun 2011
Whew this episode pretty much cleared most of my doubts that I had from episode 11.. So basically they didn't time travel back to the past but it was actually a "time freezer" machine and they woke up 20k years later on an island that feel all too familiar. Pretty much told us that the island resets for some reason and ask us to suck it up because that's the law of the universe, "for some reason".

Only part I am confused about right now is Ohara Setsuna. Ohara Setsuna had a relationship with mother Rinné right? Or was it daughter Rinne? In that hut they mentioned iirc. Then Norimasa found out about that and tried to kill Norimasa? It was confusing.

Anyway glad mother Rinné got the happy ending she deserves! The plot is very intriguing but the anime is so freakin bad, wouldn't be able to decipher shit without the help of the VN readers.

edit: oh yeah forgot to mention that I really disliked the loli designs of the girls, they're 17 and above and they look like they're 9. Setsuna also boned his 13 years old sister, 4 years younger than him in Never Island timeline smh.
ToG25thBaamOct 2, 2018 11:07 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2018 2:44 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
ToG25thBaam said:

Only part I am confused about right now is Ohara Setsuna. Ohara Setsuna had a relationship with ... daughter Rinne? In that hut they mentioned iirc. Then Norimasa found out about that and tried to kill Norimasa? It was confusing.

Rinne and Setsuna Ohara had an relationship in secret. He lived in the hut of his family. Norimasa found out about the relationship 5 years before Setsuna Sansenkai wakes up on the beach. Norimasa tried to kill his own son, but failed. Setsuna Ohara and Rinne fell into the sea and were stranded on the small Island Boryujima. There he found the Cold Sleep Chamber. In order to protect Rinne, he put her inside the Chamber. He did not know about the real function, but he discovered a life supporting unit installed in that Chamber. The small Island has no real food or drinkable water.

ToG25thBaam said:

Anyway glad mother Rinné got the happy ending she deserves! The plot is very intriguing but the anime is so freakin bad, wouldn't be able to decipher shit without the help of the VN readers.

edit: oh yeah forgot to mention that I really disliked the loli designs of the girls, they're 17 and above and they look like they're 9. Setsuna also boned his 13 years old sister, 4 years younger than him in Never Island timeline smh.

Sarah Garlando really looked like a little girl in primary school
Oct 2, 2018 3:20 PM

Jun 2011
Cyanwasserstoff said:
Rinne and Setsuna Ohara had an relationship in secret. He lived in the hut of his family. Norimasa found out about the relationship 5 years before Setsuna Sansenkai wakes up on the beach. Norimasa tried to kill his own son, but failed. Setsuna Ohara and Rinne fell into the sea and were stranded on the small Island Boryujima. There he found the Cold Sleep Chamber. In order to protect Rinne, he put her inside the Chamber. He did not know about the real function, but he discovered a life supporting unit installed in that Chamber. The small Island has no real food or drinkable water.
Thank you for clearing it up! The thing with Ohara Setsuna was clear cut mentioned/shown in the beginning of the anime if I just spend a little time thinking about it, but I was so caught up with the whole mother Rinné, daughter Rinne and Sansenkai Setsuna thing I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Cyanwasserstoff said:
Sarah Garlando really looked like a little girl in primary school
Yeah and most of the girls are half of Setsuna's size. Was awkward watching them trying to seduce Setsuna. -.-;
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 3, 2018 1:42 PM

Oct 2010
Honestly I like the ending and the "Twist" was funny as well to me but pacing was pretty bad. 7/10
Oct 10, 2018 11:32 PM

Aug 2013
What what a ride huh?

I actually didnt think it was that bad after all of the pieces came together. I think I went full retard though because I honestly didn't put together that Kuon was Rinne until he saw her again and I was like waiiiiit a minute. Then I assumed that present day Rinne was actually his daughter right away.

Two things I disliked, first was that present day Rinne was best grill for me, so I feel like she kind of got shafted there. Not only does she not get to be with Setsuna because he's her fucking dad, but because hes like 2 years older than her it's almost like she doesn't even have a normal father figure (though it didnt even seem to bother her at the end so I guess that's a plus). I didn't really feel like the Setsuna/Kuon relationship really deserved it because we only got a few episodes of the Never Island, and just during that time it really didnt highlight their relationship too well. I mean yea they declared their love for each other and fucked, but most of their relationship in that time period was skipped over with implied time skips and the time they did have on screen was them hiding from the future church government and shit so they weren't exactly bonding in a meaningful way.

The other thing that bothered me was the scientist girl coming in at the end. She went on that long explanation that there was no such thing as a time machine. He was just literally in stasis for so long that the world fucking reset itself and then history literally repeated itself exactly and he ended up waking up during the exact same time period. That's honestly fucking stupid to me; like the dumbest writing I've ever heard. She's straight up saying that Setsuna was asleep in that pod until the end of human civilization, and then the world reset, and then he was asleep for another 60,000 years through the stone age again all the way through till he got back to 2018? And that it's going to keep happening?

It would've been much simpler, and frankly much better writing for her to say that, originally the pod was only able to be used as a stasis pod to sleep in as time passes, but with the technology in the future they were able to complete it and make it a full fledged time machine. And it only works as a stasis pod during 2018 because they dont have the tech to complete it until Never Island. As for excuse about why there woulnd't be two of him, well it's never said which timeline he originates from, and he travels back in time to the EXACT same point in time every time, so there would be no copy of himself when there's only one of him starting over at the same spot every single time.

Idk, just makes me sense for me to hear "oh, the time machine was completed in the future and it sent you back, and it went to the exact same point so there's no time paradox of you" rather than "oh, there is no time machine, only a stasis pod. You slept through the end of humanity and the restart through the stone age and were asleep for almost 100,000 years till you happened to wake up at the exact repeating point in human history".

And the other thing is, this girl brought this topic up at the very end of the show, when he already figured out who Kuon is. Sure she corrected him on how it happened, but it literally doesnt fucking matter. Her telling him that massive info dump doesnt change the present, it doesnt change the fact that Kuon is Rinne, and there's nothing that can be changed about the circle of humanity restarting. So she dumped that massive doomsday prophecy for no reason whatsoever.
Oct 17, 2018 5:11 PM

Mar 2011
Cyanwasserstoff said:
BestJo said:

I need an answerrr

It´s Sarah Garlando´s mother Maria Garlando (code name: Arima Uran). She survived the fire on the old shrine.

5layer said:

EDIT: Apparently the visual novel has the same plot holes as the anime. This story is missing the beginning and ending so there isn't really any way to make sense of it. We don't know where/when/how Setsuna (protagonist) was born and we don't know what happens after this anime ends now that Setsuna and Rinne are presumably working on a way to save the world from becoming another winter island. We also don't know why the world resets and plays out exactly the same way every time. Either the VN developers were lazy or they planned to make a sequel that explains these things.

The visual novel explains the origins of Setsuna (where/when/how), Setsuna was not trying to rescue Island, but Never Island. The visual novel also explains why the world resets. Read on your own risk these spoilers or additional informations

That's unironically worse than the actual anime. It is better to leave why world resets itself unanswered and hint towards the cyclic history (in this case insinuated cyclic human social evolution and cyclic earth's phases) than come up with such nonsensical crap. Glad I didn't play the VN.
Oct 17, 2018 6:01 PM

Mar 2011
Jonesy974 said:
What what a ride huh?

I actually didnt think it was that bad after all of the pieces came together. I think I went full retard though because I honestly didn't put together that Kuon was Rinne until he saw her again and I was like waiiiiit a minute. Then I assumed that present day Rinne was actually his daughter right away.

Two things I disliked, first was that present day Rinne was best grill for me, so I feel like she kind of got shafted there. Not only does she not get to be with Setsuna because he's her fucking dad, but because hes like 2 years older than her it's almost like she doesn't even have a normal father figure (though it didnt even seem to bother her at the end so I guess that's a plus). I didn't really feel like the Setsuna/Kuon relationship really deserved it because we only got a few episodes of the Never Island, and just during that time it really didnt highlight their relationship too well. I mean yea they declared their love for each other and fucked, but most of their relationship in that time period was skipped over with implied time skips and the time they did have on screen was them hiding from the future church government and shit so they weren't exactly bonding in a meaningful way.

The other thing that bothered me was the scientist girl coming in at the end. She went on that long explanation that there was no such thing as a time machine. He was just literally in stasis for so long that the world fucking reset itself and then history literally repeated itself exactly and he ended up waking up during the exact same time period. That's honestly fucking stupid to me; like the dumbest writing I've ever heard. She's straight up saying that Setsuna was asleep in that pod until the end of human civilization, and then the world reset, and then he was asleep for another 60,000 years through the stone age again all the way through till he got back to 2018? And that it's going to keep happening?

It would've been much simpler, and frankly much better writing for her to say that, originally the pod was only able to be used as a stasis pod to sleep in as time passes, but with the technology in the future they were able to complete it and make it a full fledged time machine. And it only works as a stasis pod during 2018 because they dont have the tech to complete it until Never Island. As for excuse about why there woulnd't be two of him, well it's never said which timeline he originates from, and he travels back in time to the EXACT same point in time every time, so there would be no copy of himself when there's only one of him starting over at the same spot every single time.

Idk, just makes me sense for me to hear "oh, the time machine was completed in the future and it sent you back, and it went to the exact same point so there's no time paradox of you" rather than "oh, there is no time machine, only a stasis pod. You slept through the end of humanity and the restart through the stone age and were asleep for almost 100,000 years till you happened to wake up at the exact repeating point in human history".

And the other thing is, this girl brought this topic up at the very end of the show, when he already figured out who Kuon is. Sure she corrected him on how it happened, but it literally doesnt fucking matter. Her telling him that massive info dump doesnt change the present, it doesnt change the fact that Kuon is Rinne, and there's nothing that can be changed about the circle of humanity restarting. So she dumped that massive doomsday prophecy for no reason whatsoever.

This was actually better since a time machine is impossible. I, at one point dropped this show because all the hints at backwards in time time-travel. Knowing with absolute certitude it is impossible, every time-travel story I watch, either in anime or live-action show, gives only way less than half of enjoyment for me than it should give. (I would watch them for the characters and the drama only)

The world reset like end of humanity and most life-forms through cyclic cataclysmic events sounds far more plausible than back in time time-travel. The problem here is that life itself adapts and the next "humanity" (along with most life forms) would have been different. But still again, we see life (again life itself) expereminting with for example Down syndrome kids time and time again. Its learning process is slow and doesn't take shortcuts in order to assure that every angle is covered. This makes it plausible.

Backwards in time travel is not even plausible. Well it is if you travel along with all the universe, but you won't be conscious of it no matter what. The hypothesis of backwards in time travel presented in nearly all media is stupid and nonsensical and totally impossible because it is proposed that in fact all universe goes to an earlier state while you don't. Here since you affect things happening in the universe, the universe can't go back to an earlier state without you. And if you assume that the universe goes back with you, but when this action started a duplicate of you was made that will be like an observer, makes no sense either. Cause
1. if you are external observer and can't interact with the universe means the whole thing was useless
2. if you aren't external observer and instead can affect that earlier state of the universe is dumb and paradoxical because 1+1=3. The whole sum of the universe should be a number less than the one we get in this hypothetical instance which makes this instance impossible. In fact makes the first one impossible on the same basis too (cause all the energy that got into making your duplicate is lost on the duplicate you and thus universe can't go back without that)

BTW paradox is not some cool word to describe "cool and smart" things. It always describes stupid things. Errors is the best word for it. Errors aren't cool or smart, they're stupid mistakes. We still think about them after the first look, to learn from them. But also because there might be a way around them. Well at least for lesser paradoxes, cause for these ones I say with certitude that there is none.

For me, the story of this anime was the best and most surprising since Shinsekai Yori.
GenjuroooOct 17, 2018 6:14 PM
Oct 18, 2018 1:23 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Genjurooo said:

That's unironically worse than the actual anime. It is better to leave why world resets itself unanswered and hint towards the cyclic history (in this case insinuated cyclic human social evolution and cyclic earth's phases) than come up with such nonsensical crap. Glad I didn't play the VN.

In my case I would not call the way the VN handled this matter any worse then how the anime left important connections unexplained. Let me explain my point here:

These explanations are only partly scientific accurate at our standards and world understanding. That is why we are still dealing with a fictional world.

A fictional world is only very loosely connected to the world nature rules we are familiar with. It is based on own nature and physical laws.

Genjurooo said:

Backwards in time travel is not even plausible. Well it is if you travel along with all the universe, but you won't be conscious of it no matter what. The hypothesis of backwards in time travel presented in nearly all media is stupid and nonsensical and totally impossible because it is proposed that in fact all universe goes to an earlier state while you don't. Here since you affect things happening in the universe, the universe can't go back to an earlier state without you. And if you assume that the universe goes back with you, but when this action started a duplicate of you was made that will be like an observer, makes no sense either. Cause
1. if you are external observer and can't interact with the universe means the whole thing was useless
2. if you aren't external observer and instead can affect that earlier state of the universe is dumb and paradoxical because 1+1=3. The whole sum of the universe should be a number less than the one we get in this hypothetical instance which makes this instance impossible. In fact makes the first one impossible on the same basis too (cause all the energy that got into making your duplicate is lost on the duplicate you and thus universe can't go back without that)

BTW paradox is not some cool word to describe "cool and smart" things. It always describes stupid things. Errors is the best word for it. Errors aren't cool or smart, they're stupid mistakes. We still think about them after the first look, to learn from them. But also because there might be a way around them. Well at least for lesser paradoxes, cause for these ones I say with certitude that there is none.

For me, the story of this anime was the best and most surprising since Shinsekai Yori.

You are not wrong based on our own world understanding. That is why these kind of stories are described as Science Fiction. These are only partly based on scientific rules from our world and they are dealing with a completely different world then we live in.

How are paradoxes possible ? In fact they are not in Island. A possible paradox will change history significant. The original world will be altered that the paradox is not present anymore. Setsuna did make a major change that lead to a different past he returned to.

Many stories about time travel are dealing with existing theories about parallel worlds. Do you know the Internet phenomenon called John Titor ? He presented a possible theory how time travelling back to the past could be possible without dealing with paradoxes. Although he did not present any kind of mechanic to make that travel possible. It is still science fiction, but it deals with certain problems of this kind.
CyanwasserstoffOct 18, 2018 1:58 AM
Oct 18, 2018 2:03 AM

Aug 2013
Genjurooo said:
Jonesy974 said:
What what a ride huh?

This was actually better since a time machine is impossible. I, at one point dropped this show because all the hints at backwards in time time-travel. Knowing with absolute certitude it is impossible, every time-travel story I watch, either in anime or live-action show, gives only way less than half of enjoyment for me than it should give. (I would watch them for the characters and the drama only)

The world reset like end of humanity and most life-forms through cyclic cataclysmic events sounds far more plausible than back in time time-travel. The problem here is that life itself adapts and the next "humanity" (along with most life forms) would have been different. But still again, we see life (again life itself) expereminting with for example Down syndrome kids time and time again. Its learning process is slow and doesn't take shortcuts in order to assure that every angle is covered. This makes it plausible.

I mean, time travel isn't possible given our current understanding and knowledge, doesnt mean its permanently impossible. Traveling faster than light speed also is impossible, isn't stopping leading minds from conducting hypothesis and experiments.

It's actually kind of absurd that your first remark was to dismiss time travel because of it currently being in the realm of science fiction, but for you to think that a person sleeping in a pod through the end of humanity, staying asleep long enough for all of mankind's structures/culture etc to completely be erased from earth, for humanity to re-evolve and restart, and then on top of that for humanity to repeat itself identically every single time from Jesus Christ to Alexander the Great to Abraham Lincoln is "more plausible".

I also dont even know why you went on that little tirade on paradoxes. Nobody described a paradox as a cool thing. Anybody with a third grade education who knows the definition of the word knows a paradox isn't a good thing. Also comparing a paradox to a "stupid mistake" is a pretty horrible comparison.
Oct 18, 2018 10:27 AM

Jul 2016
BestJo said:
can someone explain me the ending pls? lol
i didnt understand the thing of world reset and where setsuna is from.
and if never island is the past or the future and how kuon (rinne) used the time machine and why she was there befoe setsuna
i remember there were 2 time machines the one from Rinne's room and outside the island inside the cave
Oct 19, 2018 5:07 PM

Mar 2011
------

Jonesy974 said:

I mean, time travel isn't possible given our current understanding and knowledge, doesnt mean its permanently impossible. Traveling faster than light speed also is impossible, isn't stopping leading minds from conducting hypothesis and experiments.

It's actually kind of absurd that your first remark was to dismiss time travel because of it currently being in the realm of science fiction, but for you to think that a person sleeping in a pod through the end of humanity, staying asleep long enough for all of mankind's structures/culture etc to completely be erased from earth, for humanity to re-evolve and restart, and then on top of that for humanity to repeat itself identically every single time from Jesus Christ to Alexander the Great to Abraham Lincoln is "more plausible".

I also dont even know why you went on that little tirade on paradoxes. Nobody described a paradox as a cool thing. Anybody with a third grade education who knows the definition of the word knows a paradox isn't a good thing. Also comparing a paradox to a "stupid mistake" is a pretty horrible comparison.

No, it will always be impossible. Faster than light is plausible outside the THEORY of relativity.

Yes, reset thingie is at least plausible and I already explained why. I also pointed that exactly repeating itself to the same degree of "sameness" is a bit much, but still more plausible than backward time travel. You don't get any paradox in it.

There are a lot of kids, teens and even adults that think if a piece of entertainment contains time-travel paradoxes is smart and cool. Even you prefer a paradoxical route to the one we got.

Cyanwasserstoff said:

In my case I would not call the way the VN handled this matter any worse then how the anime left important connections unexplained. Let me explain my point here:

These explanations are only partly scientific accurate at our standards and world understanding. That is why we are still dealing with a fictional world.

A fictional world is only very loosely connected to the world nature rules we are familiar with. It is based on own nature and physical laws.

You are not wrong based on our own world understanding. That is why these kind of stories are described as Science Fiction. These are only partly based on scientific rules from our world and they are dealing with a completely different world then we live in.

How are paradoxes possible ? In fact they are not in Island. A possible paradox will change history significant. The original world will be altered that the paradox is not present anymore. Setsuna did make a major change that lead to a different past he returned to.

Many stories about time travel are dealing with existing theories about parallel worlds. Do you know the Internet phenomenon called John Titor ? He presented a possible theory how time travelling back to the past could be possible without dealing with paradoxes. Although he did not present any kind of mechanic to make that travel possible. It is still science fiction, but it deals with certain problems of this kind.

I'm an avid sci-fi buff and enjoy it more than I do any other genre, still this is the line where suspension of disbelief ends. Would you suspend your disbelief when you see a cartoon character in a live action show or when you see something like, say, a chair be alive and move by bending its own legs or gelatine have a mouth and talk? I actually would when presented crafty enough. Because anything is possible, bar backwards in time travel. Backward time travel no matter how good is presented, I can't suspend disbelief to something that isn't possible in any shape or form.

You lose yourself into the complexity of the metaphysical explanations of modern theoretical sciences and forget that the universe of now is the result of the interactions of the universe of yesterday. Such a simple thing breaks all theories about time-travel (no matter how complicated they are made to be). When you take Setsuna out of it, you take out not only all he did/affected since his birth, no, you take out all his components that themselves were results of actions before his birth which themselves were results of interactions and so forth until who knows. This means it is totally and utterly and absolutely impossible.
Think of this: You have a drink out of a full bottle of wine, you won't have a full bottle anymore. And that's just in a static moment in time. In time travel hypothesis it would be like the molecules you took out never existed, the particles that made those molecules never existed, the phenomena that made those particles part of the molecules never happened, the phenomena tha lead to those phenomena never happened, all the objects that previously existed with some particles that would be your bottle of wine won't exist either. No chemical element would exist at all since anything radiates, thus affects things that affect things. Everything being intertwined means it is impossible.
Oct 20, 2018 1:38 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Genjurooo said:

I'm an avid sci-fi buff and enjoy it more than I do any other genre, still this is the line where suspension of disbelief ends. Would you suspend your disbelief when you see a cartoon character in a live action show or when you see something like, say, a chair be alive and move by bending its own legs or gelatine have a mouth and talk? I actually would when presented crafty enough. Because anything is possible, bar backwards in time travel. Backward time travel no matter how good is presented, I can't suspend disbelief to something that isn't possible in any shape or form.

A great discussion we are getting us to be involved into. Time Travel is not anymore plausible then a dead being turning into something that become a living being or a fictional being getting to the real world. I also could not make any true difference about if either of them would be more likely to become reality. I could not suspend my disbelief by neither of them. They are part of fiction and will ever stay in this region. That does not change the fact that I truly enjoy stories centered around a fictional world setting.

Genjurooo said:

You lose yourself into the complexity of the metaphysical explanations of modern theoretical sciences and forget that the universe of now is the result of the interactions of the universe of yesterday. Such a simple thing breaks all theories about time-travel (no matter how complicated they are made to be). When you take Setsuna out of it, you take out not only all he did/affected since his birth, no, you take out all his components that themselves were results of actions before his birth which themselves were results of interactions and so forth until who knows. This means it is totally and utterly and absolutely impossible.

You are limiting yourself about one only existing world. If multiple worlds are coexisting with each other, then a simple change in time can change the world centered around that event. That means time traveling would also means to travel between different worlds. A world that the time traveling person does not belong to.

Imagine a world where America and Europe would have closed independent environments (no import/export, self-sustaining societies): It is like a traveler born and raised in America, but that person moved to Europe. All he did in America influenced the people in his country of birth, but the people in Europe were completely uneffected by everything he did there.
The things he now does in Europe will influence the people and maybe located events there, but without any kind of contact with America, he will have zero effect on his birth place.

Setsuna was born and raised in a different world he traveled to. Of course he has zero effects on the world he originally came from anymore, but he, even while a traveler from a different world, influences the world he traveled to.

Genjurooo said:

Think of this: You have a drink out of a full bottle of wine, you won't have a full bottle anymore. And that's just in a static moment in time. In time travel hypothesis it would be like the molecules you took out never existed, the particles that made those molecules never existed, the phenomena that made those particles part of the molecules never happened, the phenomena tha lead to those phenomena never happened, all the objects that previously existed with some particles that would be your bottle of wine won't exist either. No chemical element would exist at all since anything radiates, thus affects things that affect things. Everything being intertwined means it is impossible.

We have to put our understanding of time to the meaning of time itself. The term time is completely man made. Time is a complex term based on movement and in the smallest region it is based on the movement of elementary particles. There is a theoretical time stop by getting to the temperature of 0 Kelvin. That would mean all movement would stop, everything would stop.

We cannot travel through time, because "time" as such does not exist.
CyanwasserstoffOct 20, 2018 1:58 AM
Oct 20, 2018 12:46 PM

Aug 2013
Genjurooo said:
------

Jonesy974 said:

No, it will always be impossible. Faster than light is plausible outside the THEORY of relativity.

Yes, reset thingie is at least plausible and I already explained why. I also pointed that exactly repeating itself to the same degree of "sameness" is a bit much, but still more plausible than backward time travel. You don't get any paradox in it.

There are a lot of kids, teens and even adults that think if a piece of entertainment contains time-travel paradoxes is smart and cool. Even you prefer a paradoxical route to the one we got.

Cyanwasserstoff said:

The problem is that you think your personal understanding on an unsolvable scientific theory is the only right answer. Which is pretty fucking arrogant in itself. Considering how the leading scientific minds who have hypothesized about it essentially came to the consensus that, "while it might be possible, current physical conditions and our understanding of theoretical physics and quantum mechanics are too limited to know for sure. And if it is possible, there runs the risk of creating causalities."

Almost every theory related to backwards time travel is based around M-theory, other dimensions, or wormholes. How you're going to pretend to know exactly what you're talking about like it's based in fact, when your knowledge of all of those relativities is about as much as mine or anyone else or has internet access, is facetious.
Oct 20, 2018 11:07 PM

Mar 2011
Cyanwasserstoff said:

A great discussion we are getting us to be involved into. Time Travel is not anymore plausible then a dead being turning into something that become a living being or a fictional being getting to the real world. I also could not make any true difference about if either of them would be more likely to become reality. I could not suspend my disbelief by neither of them. They are part of fiction and will ever stay in this region. That does not change the fact that I truly enjoy stories centered around a fictional world setting.

What is life, if not a bunch of chemical reactions. Even if told in a silly way I wouldn't subconsciously fight against the concept itself, but against the way it was presented to me. We can bioengineer things, program machines, we have superpowers like electricity, to make things from our imagination with the power of our thoughts (and a little help from our hands kek), the power to predict the future, to read the minds of others and control them and so on and so forth. For me most things we can imagine, can be done. Not physically travelling into the past.

You are limiting yourself about one only existing world. If multiple worlds are coexisting with each other, then a simple change in time can change the world centered around that event. That means time traveling would also means to travel between different worlds. A world that the time traveling person does not belong to.

Imagine a world where America and Europe would have closed independent environments (no import/export, self-sustaining societies): It is like a traveler born and raised in America, but that person moved to Europe. All he did in America influenced the people in his country of birth, but the people in Europe were completely uneffected by everything he did there.
The things he now does in Europe will influence the people and maybe located events there, but without any kind of contact with America, he will have zero effect on his birth place.

Setsuna was born and raised in a different world he traveled to. Of course he has zero effects on the world he originally came from anymore, but he, even while a traveler from a different world, influences the world he traveled to.

As long as he never goes back in an absolute time frame he can move between them as he pleases. Thing is he can go to Europe from America and back to America again, but never can he go back to America before he left or to Europe before he arrives lol.

We have to put our understanding of time to the meaning of time itself. The term time is completely man made. Time is a complex term based on movement and in the smallest region it is based on the movement of elementary particles. There is a theoretical time stop by getting to the temperature of 0 Kelvin. That would mean all movement would stop, everything would stop.

Correct. We use faulty language for convenience and because we didn't came up with anything better in common use, we reached the point where we mistake the measurement scale we invented with the change itself. Not such a major problem, but still deceiving.

------

Jonesy974 said:

The problem is that you think your personal understanding on an unsolvable scientific theory is the only right answer. Which is pretty fucking arrogant in itself. Considering how the leading scientific minds who have hypothesized about it essentially came to the consensus that, "while it might be possible, current physical conditions and our understanding of theoretical physics and quantum mechanics are too limited to know for sure. And if it is possible, there runs the risk of creating causalities."

Almost every theory related to backwards time travel is based around M-theory, other dimensions, or wormholes. How you're going to pretend to know exactly what you're talking about like it's based in fact, when your knowledge of all of those relativities is about as much as mine or anyone else or has internet access, is facetious.

You regard them metaphysicians like some sort of gods? They aren't and whatever magical nonsense they come up with, that permits physical time travel into the past, is wrong.
Oct 22, 2018 12:52 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Genjurooo said:

What is life, if not a bunch of chemical reactions.

Everything is based on the interaction between different elements in their chemical and physical nature. Chemical reactions are only a part of it.
Genjurooo said:

Even if told in a silly way I wouldn't subconsciously fight against the concept itself, but against the way it was presented to me. We can bioengineer things, program machines, we have superpowers like electricity, to make things from our imagination with the power of our thoughts (and a little help from our hands kek), the power to predict the future, to read the minds of others and control them and so on and so forth.

If we could fully understand the nature of the DNA, then we would be able to program it into a species we want to become an existence. Theoretical speaking, as long as that existence is capable of surviving, it could become part of our reality. The problem is the complex structure of the DNA and only a very small amount of it is already known. Then we would be able to bioengineer myth creatures.
The superpower element is something completely different, because our body is not able to use bio-electricity in that amount to create a electric shock.
Reading minds, that are simple electric signals in our brains, is not possible for humans either in any way. We need a tool and the knowledge of the brain signals to be able to read them. A human body is also not able to create fire by it´s own. The amount of energy our body produce is far beyond the level to create the amount of energy to cause a fire.
It is also impossible to manipulate reality by our imagination only. Our electric signals cannot become something physical in all means.

The complex idea behind stories like Sword Art Online would be theoretical possible. We need to understand the brain signals in all entirety. We need to know how to change them and how to manipulate them. We also need to be able to only cut not essential signals, but leave the ones that are important to keep the human body alive.

Genjurooo said:

For me most things we can imagine, can be done. Not physically travelling into the past.

Consider the points above, I do not think of time traveling to be more fiction then humans to have super powers, or even having god like power to manipulate reality.
And I do not need them to be realistic, because fantasy stories are interesting in it´s own.

Genjurooo said:

As long as he never goes back in an absolute time frame he can move between them as he pleases. Thing is he can go to Europe from America and back to America again, but never can he go back to America before he left or to Europe before he arrives lol.

He will never be able to influence both at the same moment. He can be either in Europe or America, but he never can be at both places in the same moment.
Also if one of them got annihilated of the earth map by a powerful explosion, he will never be able to influence that state again.

Setsuna cannot return to the old past. The past was altered and will never return to it´s original state. He can only travel through the "new" past and future.

Jonesy974 said:

The problem is not based on Genjuroo´s understanding, but on the term time itself.

We have the day-time and the different seasons of the year. All of them are based on the movement of the earth to the sun. How will you make things doing the same things (same movements), but only backwards ?
Luckily we can freeze "time" theoretical. We have to put something down to 0 Kelvin. That would stop it´s time completely.
Oct 22, 2018 1:13 AM

Aug 2013
Genjurooo said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

What is life, if not a bunch of chemical reactions. Even if told in a silly way I wouldn't subconsciously fight against the concept itself, but against the way it was presented to me. We can bioengineer things, program machines, we have superpowers like electricity, to make things from our imagination with the power of our thoughts (and a little help from our hands kek), the power to predict the future, to read the minds of others and control them and so on and so forth. For me most things we can imagine, can be done. Not physically travelling into the past.

Correct. We use faulty language for convenience and because we didn't came up with anything better in common use, we reached the point where we mistake the measurement scale we invented with the change itself. Not such a major problem, but still deceiving.

------

Jonesy974 said:

You regard them metaphysicians like some sort of gods? They aren't and whatever magical nonsense they come up with, that permits physical time travel into the past, is wrong.

Of course I dont revere them as gods. But I'm sure as shit going to listen to the fucking guys who theorize about these kinds of things for a living as opposed to a stranger on an anime forum.
Oct 23, 2018 5:23 AM

Jul 2015
Damn I didn't keep up with this at all and skimmed through the previous like, 4 episodes just so I could say I finished this, and now I'm just sitting here... thinking "yeah okay why not". I didn't like this, but the girls were cute.

Also thanks to those who gave an explanation as to the 10,000 different plot twists and mysteries this anime decided to run with.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 25, 2018 3:43 AM
Oct 2018
Why you people even bother to watch anime.. When there is original game translated which is much better? Other than Steins; Gate, Clannad and some other exceptions most visual novels have terrible adaptations. In this year we have Island and Dies Irae, both novels I liked more than S;G which were ruined by animators. Which should happen when you try to make 50+ hours of reading into 4 hours of animation. Chaos; Child suffered as well.
Oct 31, 2018 10:44 PM

May 2012
Well for what's its worth these last four episodes were actually pretty nice I must say, the conclusion is pretty okay, nothing too special either though. Still the general flow of the first part before actually going in depth with the time travelling business it was really weak and the pacing was all over the place.

Still for the ending itself it was a nice finish, but it doesn't repair the damage the first part done to this anime either.

All in all an okay watch.
Nov 5, 2018 5:20 AM
Oct 2017
Man, after watching this all in 1 day (yay for binging), i watched the Dub which made it easier to follow than missing parts by subtitles. the story is confusing but at the end its all finished and easier to understand. Setsuna travels forward in time to save a girl which is his daughter, but he doesn't know that, but Rinne (now known as Kuon) does.

from the beginning, Rinne in the past timeline who is now carrying Setsuna's child, travels in time to see Setsuna after he was put into the machine, she came out too early and was washed up on the beach of the new timeline, Rinne was given the name Kuon to replace the old one so her child would be the new head of the family later, and gave her child the Name Rinne... Rinne (her daughter) then meddles with the real Setsuna (not the time traveler) Rinne and Setsuna get stranded on the island while their "father" dies from the sun disease. Setsuna dies on the island while putting Rinne in the capsule, her mother Kuon finds her on the island. Setsuna (the now fake one who loves Kuon) washes up on the beach at last. forgets all memories. then he falls in love with Rinne instead and Kuon lets it happen to make her happy. that works out, then Rinne dies when trying to go to the island (but then there is that weird part of Rinne and setsuna finding the real Setsuna's body which could have happened and Rinne just dies on the way back to the Island) the Setsuna Wakes up found out Rinne Died, then goes into the future to get the time machine... which he wakes up in the snow, and rinne the real one finds him. they make the time machine which only goes forward... then it starts again but this time when Setsuna wakes up he remembers this time, saves Rinne by sorting things out quicker than to let them happen more natural... Setsuna finds out all of the above and falls in love with Kuon (Rinne from the past).

the events of Kuon's Daughter getting stuck on the island is how they got the plans for the other time machine on what Rinne made in the old past to get Setsuna to the future... just a bunch of time loops and things changing each time they travel forwards. with Kuon/Rinne trying to get back to Setsuna and help their daughter. confusing yes... good once you understand it, it is.

this is probably known but eh... i probably missed a lot of stuff. don't pick on me.
Nov 25, 2018 5:18 AM
Aug 2017
Time traveling never solves anything, it just create more suffering.
But all's well when it ends well.

TT
Nov 30, 2018 5:45 AM
Mar 2017
Never use time travel. And how the fuck Sara(Big TT) still alive and exist in that world?
Dec 31, 2018 1:49 PM

Sep 2011
Guuuh. The True End of the game rubbed me again. And yes, I don't really like the True End of the game.

Jan 5, 2019 9:24 PM

Aug 2008
sorz, late to the party...

couldn't find which part in particular, since you explained a lot, so i took a random quote but a couple of questions...

1) are we sure that Setsuna is Rinne/Kuon's brother? like was there a point in the VN where it said that in the origin, before MC Setsuna went in the time capsule, that he was Rinné's bro or is it merely speculation and putting together pieces? since you mentioned before that Setsuna was traveling to the past (by inadvertently traveling to the future to the chronoquake which'll take him to the past) to kill himself but effectively couldn't kill his past self since "he", Rinné's bro already died/vanished (?) 3 yrs before Setsuna's arrival.

2) on that matter, you mentioned that after the first full loop Setsuna went back in time and couldn't meet his previous self since his previous self disappeared in a manner that would allow his current self to exist in the past? or did this already happen even before the first loop where Rinné's bro disappeared before MC Setsuna arrived?

3) going along with that, shouldn't Setsuna been allowed to meet his previous self? i know you said that after Setsuna used the CSC it created a sort of butterfly effect, but with the chronoquake essentially resetting to a time before the butterfly effect could happen, wouldn't there be no butterfly effect at all if you're traveling to a time before you did the butterfly effect? or is the story going along with that the CSC affects both before and after it was made/used.

4) does this world operate on a one time line or parallel world scenario? cause if it's the former, then that means that Setsuna is "reimpregnating" (for the first time multiple times?) the same Rinné every time he goes into the past... nice. like a 50 first dates type of thing but kinkier

5) for clarification, does Rinné first find Setsuna first in the CSC (as in the VN starts off with a loop and its origin is a loop) or that first time Rinné actually find Setsuna before any CSC's are made?

6) regarding consecutive loops, when Rinné found Setsuna in the CSC, did she already have that same CSC back in the lab still being worked on. in other words was Setsuna found in an older version of a CSC while its same self was also being worked on by Rinné (two of the same CSC existing in the same time)?

7) so since Rinné followed Setsuna, she effectively made 2 functioning CSC's right? or she made one, and borrowed another CSC from whatever source.

8) in the anime in one of their flashbacks while in NI, there's a memory of Rinné finding Setsuna in a CSC in the snow on the surface. what happened to that CSC? since there's one in her secret lab on the island, and there's another in the cave off the island. would that make 3 CSC's in the same time?

9) what are Rinné's thoughts in the VN in the regular ending with Setsuna having a child with Rinne? she cool with that? does Setsuna figure out in that route that he made his own grandkid or is it an ignorance is bliss scenario?

10) how long is the interaction of Setsuna in NI and I characters? i think in Island it might've been a month or two, but in NI, at least a month or more? since if he is constantly looping, and the CSC only freezes you and doesn't reset your time, he must be accumulating a lot of age. like started out as 20 yrs old, but after 6 loops (assuming he spent a month in I and NI respectively) he'd be 21 already.

11) in the anime, a big trigger for Setsuna remembering Rinné or piecing that Kuon was Rinné was their wedding ring. in the VN, did Setsuna always have it on but didn't think about anything about it, was it lost, or was it an anime only thing? since in the anime, it seems that he wasn't wearing the wedding ring before the final loop

12) not a question, just a side note. i was pretty amazed, in a good way, that we had an anime that essentially set it up that mc ended up with heroine's mom (obviously, the VN setted it up better, but the anime did a huge bait and switch with the last few episodes from an anime-only viewer perspective).
OniikamiJan 5, 2019 9:34 PM
Jan 6, 2019 3:05 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Oniikami said:

couldn't find which part in particular, since you explained a lot, so i took a random quote but a couple of questions...

1) are we sure that Setsuna is Rinne/Kuon's brother? like was there a point in the VN where it said that in the origin, before MC Setsuna went in the time capsule, that he was Rinné's bro or is it merely speculation and putting together pieces? since you mentioned before that Setsuna was traveling to the past (by inadvertently traveling to the future to the chronoquake which'll take him to the past) to kill himself but effectively couldn't kill his past self since "he", Rinné's bro already died/vanished (?) 3 yrs before Setsuna's arrival.

In the VN there was never a true certainty about the origins of the protagonist Setsuna, besides he came himself to the conclusion that the brother of Rinné (NI) might be him. Combined with the theory of Sarah Garlando, that Time Travel will repair itself to erase possible time paradoxon, that would explain how everything could have started. It would also fit the fairy tale about a love that was not allowed to happen, that got retold a lot in the VN.
He wanted to travel to the future where a time machine was made that would him lead to the past. Ironically he did travel to the past, but not only a few years as he would have liked to. He did not want to kill himself that time, but he wanted to save Rinne (Island).
In the time of Never Island, where he thought the constraction of Rinné's device would take him back in time (about a few month), he wanted to kill himself before he could meet Rinné
He was found by her after traveling from the future (Island) to the past (Never Island) and lost all his memories besides one name "Rinne". His arrival caused the complete distruction of Never Island.
The only way to save his beloved young girl "Rinné" in his mind was to prevent everything that happened on Never Island by making sure he would never meet her by killing Setsuna (himself) who woke up in the cold snow of Never Island. Unfortunately that was not the case, he traveled to the future instead, but a part of his memories was still there. He knew he had to kill someone and to save a girl

Oniikami said:

2) on that matter, you mentioned that after the first full loop Setsuna went back in time and couldn't meet his previous self since his previous self disappeared in a manner that would allow his current self to exist in the past? or did this already happen even before the first loop where Rinné's bro disappeared before MC Setsuna arrived?

Following Sarah Garlando's theory it was the cause of the time travel itself. The world was changed (or he traveled to a different world) through the first full loop. That lead to the death of the original Setsuna of Never Island. Before the first loop Setsuna did disappear, too. Of course he did, because he wanted to travel to the past (went to the future instead).

Oniikami said:

3) going along with that, shouldn't Setsuna been allowed to meet his previous self? i know you said that after Setsuna used the CSC it created a sort of butterfly effect, but with the chronoquake essentially resetting to a time before the butterfly effect could happen, wouldn't there be no butterfly effect at all if you're traveling to a time before you did the butterfly effect? or is the story going along with that the CSC affects both before and after it was made/used.

The problem is the time reset in itself caused the time paradoxon. This caused that a exact same person exists two times in the same time. Setsuna (the traveler) was not supposed to exists there and normally the reset would have prevented it, but through the chamber he was protected. That lead to the change of the world. Setsuna (the traveler) became a part of it, while the other self died before he arrived there.
That way there was never a time where two versions of himself exists in the same age - the time paradoxon was repaired as Sarah Garlando would call it.

Oniikami said:

4) does this world operate on a one time line or parallel world scenario? cause if it's the former, then that means that Setsuna is "reimpregnating" (for the first time multiple times?) the same Rinné every time he goes into the past... nice. like a 50 first dates type of thing but kinkier

That is the thing here, because the VN Island does not deal with only possible theory. Sarah Garlando and Setsuna (Protagonist, traveler) were speculating a lot and they came to 3 possible outcomes :

#1 Setsuna arriving in the past cause the world to repair itself via changing events that could lead to a time paradoxon. In this theory there exists only one world, that will always prevent possible time paradoxons.

#2 Setsuna traveled to a iron copy of the original world, that would change through his actions. This would mean there exists a lot of possible parallel worlds.

#3 Travelling to the past would cause a time/space divergence that would lead to total nothingness (okay, that did not happen here though, but it was still mentioned by Sarah Garlando)

The VN did not truly choose one of the two options here, so it would be possible with either theories.

Oniikami said:

5) for clarification, does Rinné first find Setsuna first in the CSC (as in the VN starts off with a loop and its origin is a loop) or that first time Rinné actually find Setsuna before any CSC's are made?

Setsuna the time traveler was first found in the CSC by Rinné, at least in the world that was caused by the time loop (Besides that he originally might lived with her in the same age in the same household, in the original world. They were brother and sister after all)

Oniikami said:

6) regarding consecutive loops, when Rinné found Setsuna in the CSC, did she already have that same CSC back in the lab still being worked on. in other words was Setsuna found in an older version of a CSC while its same self was also being worked on by Rinné (two of the same CSC existing in the same time)?

Rinné created in the age of Never Island the prototype, the iLander (it was not a chamber more like a cockpit, but it did protect it's user with a organic liquid, but it did not contain the time reset protection).
Setsuna was always found in the final version of the iLander, the CSC with time reset protection.
In the age of Island Rinné got her memories back and started to work on her old model iLander, again. Setsuna always travelled with the CDs with the blueprints of the iLander. In that time before the first loop, she managed to improve her old model and create the Cold Sleep Chamber with the time reset protection. And yeah she still always works on it, in each loop again.
In the VN it was only mentioned once in the true route, but she still works on the CSC.

Oniikami said:

7) so since Rinné followed Setsuna, she effectively made 2 functioning CSC's right? or she made one, and borrowed another CSC from whatever source.

She made the prototype, the iLander and she made the improved version, the Cold Sleep Chamber.

Oniikami said:

8) in the anime in one of their flashbacks while in NI, there's a memory of Rinné finding Setsuna in a CSC in the snow on the surface. what happened to that CSC? since there's one in her secret lab on the island, and there's another in the cave off the island. would that make 3 CSC's in the same time?

The CSC in the cave was only the cockpit version, the iLander in the VN. Setsuna did use it to get from Never Island to Island. The CSC in the snow was the improved version Setsuna used to get back to Never Island and Rinné used to follow him after he used the iLander. There only were 2 time travel machines, one that only leads to the future and one that can be used (in the situation of the Chronoquake) to travel to the past, too.
In the anime that CSC in the cave was the one Setsuna used to get from Never Island to Island.

Oniikami said:

9) what are Rinné's thoughts in the VN in the regular ending with Setsuna having a child with Rinne? she cool with that? does Setsuna figure out in that route that he made his own grandkid or is it an ignorance is bliss scenario?

In that route Setsuna never made the connection with Kuon and Rinné. Kuon was not cool with that, because otherwise she would not still work on the Cold Sleep Chamber, but she never showed any anger towards Setsuna and she was okay for them to be happy.

Oniikami said:

10) how long is the interaction of Setsuna in NI and I characters? i think in Island it might've been a month or two, but in NI, at least a month or more? since if he is constantly looping, and the CSC only freezes you and doesn't reset your time, he must be accumulating a lot of age. like started out as 20 yrs old, but after 6 loops (assuming he spent a month in I and NI respectively) he'd be 21 already.

Since he himself is protected from the consequences from the time reset, this might be a great question. The Never Island Arc might be a month, the major events only take place in 1 or 2 weeks, but both did live together in the cave for some time before using the iLander.
I have not read the VN for a long while and I will re-read it for certain, but so far I know was the original Setsuna younger then 20 ( 17 or 18).

Oniikami said:

11) in the anime, a big trigger for Setsuna remembering Rinné or piecing that Kuon was Rinné was their wedding ring. in the VN, did Setsuna always have it on but didn't think about anything about it, was it lost, or was it an anime only thing? since in the anime, it seems that he wasn't wearing the wedding ring before the final loop

The ring was anime only. He did first figure it out by Maria Garlando (fake name Arima...) telling him the truth and before that he was at least not certain anymore, in the moment he did confuse Rinné for Rinne while asking Kuon (Rinné) to marry her daughter Rinne. Her reaction was pure anger and that he did know nothing about Rinne and that she was all the time alone to raise Rinne.

In the VN Rinné and Setsuna did marry, too, but the way is a little different. They exchange their necklace with their ID on it. And she still had it and later on (after already knowing the truth) Setsuna did find it in her room. She herself

Oniikami said:

12) not a question, just a side note. i was pretty amazed, in a good way, that we had an anime that essentially set it up that mc ended up with heroine's mom (obviously, the VN setted it up better, but the anime did a huge bait and switch with the last few episodes from an anime-only viewer perspective).

You cannot compare an anime adaption with the origin (VN), because the time they can fill with the episodes is way lower then the story time of the VN. Other then that, I agree that the conclusion of both versions is different then it would be the usual case. And that is a plus for sure.
CyanwasserstoffJan 6, 2019 3:11 AM
Jan 19, 2019 8:47 AM

Dec 2009
Well that was an interesting show to say the least. As a good anime watcher and fiction lover i can see far beyond what's presented directly to me. It is very clear that the biggest flaw with this anime is it did not have enough runtime to flesh out it's rather complicated plot.

Nonetheless, even despite it's constraints, while it's narrative technicalities suffered a bit, and some massive questions like why the world was resetting (imo they should have just left that out in the anime), but ultimately it was able to convey to me a lot of the emotions that it was trying to share, and ultimately not unworth. It needed more time to flesh out the Never Island plot so that we could feel their love over Island Rinne, as it turned into a bait and switch. Still though, this is the first time i've heard of the Cloud Atlas concept being combined with a massive scale time loop problem that crosses all human history. It seems like a very natural conceptual pairing.

Not gonna lie though, i kinda would have liked it and would have been interesting if it did go incest as well lol. They tried to sell that premise on concept more than once in other contexts. Was funny how Rinne(Kuon) seemed almost encouraging it lol. (i like unorthodox and forbidden love, so an ideal outcome imo would have been to have both as lovers lol)

Cyanwasserstoff said:
You cannot compare an anime adaption with the origin (VN), because the time they can fill with the episodes is way lower then the story time of the VN.
That doesn't always apply. There are exceptions like Clannad. It's more about how much budget and care is put into it.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 20, 2019 7:10 PM
Aug 2018
Osten112 said:
Island hmmm

the mindfuck is real

Dude this was me at the end of the episodes
Mar 8, 2019 4:32 PM

Jan 2017
can anybody tell me the name of the music used when Setsuna tells Rinne that he is her father.
Mar 17, 2019 7:35 AM

Dec 2018
One thing I can't understand that why and how the fuck he came to the island in the first place(Episode 1).

5/10
Apr 15, 2019 3:36 AM

Jan 2018
Man, that's gotta be one of the worst ending i've ever seen aside from Erased and I felt betrayed both times heck I ain't going to watch any time-related stuff like erased or island anymore because I'm going to disappoint my self at the end of the day the first 11 episodes are not soo good but they are also not that bad 5/10 for first 11 episodes and 0/10 for that fucking shit ending so 2/10 well, that same thing happened to erased too lol.
May 30, 2019 1:37 PM

Dec 2012
Whaa??? What a shock! I really like what they did with the time travel twist albeit it seemed like the show itself had run out of time trying to fit everything into this condensed ending. It probably could have benefited from having a thirteenth episode to make this less of an info dump.

Well, the actual concept ended up being great - it's just that the execution was more than wanting. Still, I came into this expecting typical loli harem antics and left with a happily ever after love story that transcends all time.

7/10
Jul 9, 2019 8:36 PM
Jul 2011
weird time travel, but ok.
Jul 23, 2019 1:43 AM
Apr 2013
I was wrong, but can we just say it was time travel. The other explanation sucks. Also MILF for the win!
Sep 27, 2019 5:52 PM

Jan 2017
I saw just watching part of the dub when Setsuna walks in and Rinne is singing. They switch from Tamura Yukari singing to English it was terrible.
Oct 1, 2019 2:52 PM
Jul 2017
Cyanwasserstoff said:
Oniikami said:

In the VN there was never a true certainty about the origins of the protagonist Setsuna, besides he came himself to the conclusion that the brother of Rinné (NI) might be him. Combined with the theory of Sarah Garlando, that Time Travel will repair itself to erase possible time paradoxon, that would explain how everything could have started. It would also fit the fairy tale about a love that was not allowed to happen, that got retold a lot in the VN.
He wanted to travel to the future where a time machine was made that would him lead to the past. Ironically he did travel to the past, but not only a few years as he would have liked to. He did not want to kill himself that time, but he wanted to save Rinne (Island).
In the time of Never Island, where he thought the constraction of Rinné's device would take him back in time (about a few month), he wanted to kill himself before he could meet Rinné
He was found by her after traveling from the future (Island) to the past (Never Island) and lost all his memories besides one name "Rinne". His arrival caused the complete distruction of Never Island.
The only way to save his beloved young girl "Rinné" in his mind was to prevent everything that happened on Never Island by making sure he would never meet her by killing Setsuna (himself) who woke up in the cold snow of Never Island. Unfortunately that was not the case, he traveled to the future instead, but a part of his memories was still there. He knew he had to kill someone and to save a girl

Oniikami said:

Following Sarah Garlando's theory it was the cause of the time travel itself. The world was changed (or he traveled to a different world) through the first full loop. That lead to the death of the original Setsuna of Never Island. Before the first loop Setsuna did disappear, too. Of course he did, because he wanted to travel to the past (went to the future instead).

Oniikami said:

The problem is the time reset in itself caused the time paradoxon. This caused that a exact same person exists two times in the same time. Setsuna (the traveler) was not supposed to exists there and normally the reset would have prevented it, but through the chamber he was protected. That lead to the change of the world. Setsuna (the traveler) became a part of it, while the other self died before he arrived there.
That way there was never a time where two versions of himself exists in the same age - the time paradoxon was repaired as Sarah Garlando would call it.

Oniikami said:

That is the thing here, because the VN Island does not deal with only possible theory. Sarah Garlando and Setsuna (Protagonist, traveler) were speculating a lot and they came to 3 possible outcomes :

#1 Setsuna arriving in the past cause the world to repair itself via changing events that could lead to a time paradoxon. In this theory there exists only one world, that will always prevent possible time paradoxons.

#2 Setsuna traveled to a iron copy of the original world, that would change through his actions. This would mean there exists a lot of possible parallel worlds.

#3 Travelling to the past would cause a time/space divergence that would lead to total nothingness (okay, that did not happen here though, but it was still mentioned by Sarah Garlando)

The VN did not truly choose one of the two options here, so it would be possible with either theories.

Oniikami said:

Setsuna the time traveler was first found in the CSC by Rinné, at least in the world that was caused by the time loop (Besides that he originally might lived with her in the same age in the same household, in the original world. They were brother and sister after all)

Oniikami said:

Rinné created in the age of Never Island the prototype, the iLander (it was not a chamber more like a cockpit, but it did protect it's user with a organic liquid, but it did not contain the time reset protection).
Setsuna was always found in the final version of the iLander, the CSC with time reset protection.
In the age of Island Rinné got her memories back and started to work on her old model iLander, again. Setsuna always travelled with the CDs with the blueprints of the iLander. In that time before the first loop, she managed to improve her old model and create the Cold Sleep Chamber with the time reset protection. And yeah she still always works on it, in each loop again.
In the VN it was only mentioned once in the true route, but she still works on the CSC.

Oniikami said:

She made the prototype, the iLander and she made the improved version, the Cold Sleep Chamber.

Oniikami said:

The CSC in the cave was only the cockpit version, the iLander in the VN. Setsuna did use it to get from Never Island to Island. The CSC in the snow was the improved version Setsuna used to get back to Never Island and Rinné used to follow him after he used the iLander. There only were 2 time travel machines, one that only leads to the future and one that can be used (in the situation of the Chronoquake) to travel to the past, too.
In the anime that CSC in the cave was the one Setsuna used to get from Never Island to Island.

Oniikami said:

In that route Setsuna never made the connection with Kuon and Rinné. Kuon was not cool with that, because otherwise she would not still work on the Cold Sleep Chamber, but she never showed any anger towards Setsuna and she was okay for them to be happy.

Oniikami said:

Since he himself is protected from the consequences from the time reset, this might be a great question. The Never Island Arc might be a month, the major events only take place in 1 or 2 weeks, but both did live together in the cave for some time before using the iLander.
I have not read the VN for a long while and I will re-read it for certain, but so far I know was the original Setsuna younger then 20 ( 17 or 18).

Oniikami said:

The ring was anime only. He did first figure it out by Maria Garlando (fake name Arima...) telling him the truth and before that he was at least not certain anymore, in the moment he did confuse Rinné for Rinne while asking Kuon (Rinné) to marry her daughter Rinne. Her reaction was pure anger and that he did know nothing about Rinne and that she was all the time alone to raise Rinne.

In the VN Rinné and Setsuna did marry, too, but the way is a little different. They exchange their necklace with their ID on it. And she still had it and later on (after already knowing the truth) Setsuna did find it in her room. She herself

Oniikami said:

You cannot compare an anime adaption with the origin (VN), because the time they can fill with the episodes is way lower then the story time of the VN. Other then that, I agree that the conclusion of both versions is different then it would be the usual case. And that is a plus for sure.

Hey, since you read the VN, can you tell me what the endings are?

How did the anime adaptation change from the VN, especially its ending? How did it change the VN's true ending? We know in the VN's True Ending, Setsuna is still stuck the time loop when Real!Rinne found hin in the age of Never Island. Hope to hear from you soon.
Oct 4, 2019 12:21 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
rick1-2 said:

rick1-2 said:

You have the usual character endings of Sarah Garando, Karen Kurutsu, then Rinne 1st (where you lost her during the events of Island and which will continue with Never Island), Rinne 2nd where Setsuna is living happily with her together, having a little daughter with the illness , while Kuon (Rinné) did not tell them anything. Then we have two additional endings after the Never Island Arc, Rinne (3rd) and Rinné (true). A few bad endings are also part of the VN, but they lead to nothing (Setsuna killing himself, Maria Garando killing Setsuna, failing to solve the conflict between the major and Karen Kurutsu,...)
rick1-2 said:

How did the anime adaptation change from the VN, especially its ending? How did it change the VN's true ending? We know in the VN's True Ending, Setsuna is still stuck the time loop when Real!Rinne found hin in the age of Never Island. Hope to hear from you soon.

The anime completely removed the fairy tale about Rinne and Setsuna in the Never Island Arc and the possible connection towards the missing Setsuna on in that time. The anime did change the aspect of the sleep cold chamber and the iLander from Rinné. In the anime there is only the CSC and there are two of them. (VN:) While the iLander cannot protect from the earth time reset, the CSC does protect the user from the time repair. In the anime the time does not get reset, but the 40.000 years are stuk in a endless cycle.
Oct 7, 2019 6:13 PM
Jul 2017
Cyanwasserstoff said:
rick1-2 said:

rick1-2 said:

You have the usual character endings of Sarah Garando, Karen Kurutsu, then Rinne 1st (where you lost her during the events of Island and which will continue with Never Island), Rinne 2nd where Setsuna is living happily with her together, having a little daughter with the illness , while Kuon (Rinné) did not tell them anything. Then we have two additional endings after the Never Island Arc, Rinne (3rd) and Rinné (true). A few bad endings are also part of the VN, but they lead to nothing (Setsuna killing himself, Maria Garando killing Setsuna, failing to solve the conflict between the major and Karen Kurutsu,...)
rick1-2 said:

The anime completely removed the fairy tale about Rinne and Setsuna in the Never Island Arc and the possible connection towards the missing Setsuna on in that time. The anime did change the aspect of the sleep cold chamber and the iLander from Rinné. In the anime there is only the CSC and there are two of them. (VN:) While the iLander cannot protect from the earth time reset, the CSC does protect the user from the time repair. In the anime the time does not get reset, but the 40.000 years are stuk in a endless cycle.

What are these Rinne 1st, Rinne 2nd, Rinne 3rd, and Rinne True? So many Rinne. Do you think that we'll get a sequel VN. Seriously, I felt there's more to be told, and the Rinne True was obvious sequel baiting.

So, it's agreed that the anime adaptation removed a lot of important plot points out? Considering that the iLander and Cold Sleeping Chambers are important to the plot, you'd think that explanations are given, but they aren't. Hope to hear from you soon.
Oct 7, 2019 10:53 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
rick1-2 said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

What are these Rinne 1st, Rinne 2nd, Rinne 3rd, and Rinne True? So many Rinne. Do you think that we'll get a sequel VN. Seriously,

Rinne 1st is actually part of the true route, he needs to loose her in Island-Arc to get the need to continue his travel to Never Island.

Rinne 2nd is like a good ending that will lead to almost non explanations of the story. Instead of helping the people of the Island, Setsuna choose to stick to Rinne and both become a couple with a child. Their daughter will also suffer from the Soot Blight Syndrom. Kuon aka Rinné from Never Island never told them, that they are actually father and daughter, but she also did never give up to finish the Cold Sleep Chamber, either.

The true route will split in the second Island, or After-Never-Island Arc. He meets Kuon aka Rinné from Never Island to ask her for permission to marry her daughter Rinne.
If he says that he understands Rinne and want to make her happy, then Kuon will accept and support them. This leads to a wedding with Rinne and their future. Both will never know the truth.

If he says that he understands Rinné and want to maker her happy, Kuon will loose herself in extremely anger and says to Setsuna, that he would not know Rinne at all and that Kuon had to raise her all alone, while he was not there to support her. In the end she would never accept him to marry Rinne.
This leads him to investigate both even more. With the help of Arima he managed to get to know that Rinne was his daughter, while Kuon was Rinné his lost girl-friend from Never Island. And both will slowly repair their relationship at least to a friendship level. He choose to repeat his endless cycle and will return to the time of Never Island, again to meet Rinné to start everything, again. He hopes to not loose his memories this time, but it is not shown.

rick1-2 said:

I felt there's more to be told, and the Rinne True was obvious sequel baiting.

Even though it is not shown if he will this time not forget his memories, it is highly indicated that he will just be lost in this endless cycle. In this term it is not a sequel bait, because we already know what will happen. All the events will constantly repeat itself in eternity.

rick1-2 said:

So, it's agreed that the anime adaptation removed a lot of important plot points out? Considering that the iLander and Cold Sleeping Chambers are important to the plot, you'd think that explanations are given, but they aren't. Hope to hear from you soon.

The anime version did rewrite the ending completely. That is even different then only leaving important plot points out. Instead of the time travel events it is just human history repeating itself again and again with the excat same outcome. Their are not the same persons, but evolution would always repeat itself the same way to the same civilisations.

While in the Visual Novel Setsuna is travelling through the time, from the future Island to the past of Never Island. That is why the difference between the iLander and the Cold Sleep Chamber is very important.

Oct 26, 2019 6:20 PM

Sep 2015
the fact she was his daughter only makes it better ;3

you've taught me how to breathe again

Jan 2, 2020 11:56 AM

Jun 2017
That twist caught me off guard. The whole thing has some plot holes. They say that it isn't the past because there isn't another version of Setsuna. But then reveal that they are continuously moving into a future that repeats itself. So where is the future version of Setsuna? There should be one right? We have future version of all other characters in the story.

The anime also had some obvious pacing issues and questionable direction. Would have benefited more by having 24 episodes. Would have loved to see a bit more about "never island" time period.

But surprisingly I loved the emotional side of the story. This is something I will remember for quite a long time. Not sure how exactly I should rate this. First time I can't decide the score of an anime easily. I will rate it 7/10 for now. This is rewatchable after all.
Jan 29, 2020 3:59 AM
Sep 2015
Chrome_Falcon said:
That twist caught me off guard. The whole thing has some plot holes. They say that it isn't the past because there isn't another version of Setsuna. But then reveal that they are continuously moving into a future that repeats itself. So where is the future version of Setsuna? There should be one right? We have future version of all other characters in the story.

The anime also had some obvious pacing issues and questionable direction. Would have benefited more by having 24 episodes. Would have loved to see a bit more about "never island" time period.

But surprisingly I loved the emotional side of the story. This is something I will remember for quite a long time. Not sure how exactly I should rate this. First time I can't decide the score of an anime easily. I will rate it 7/10 for now. This is rewatchable after all.

One can assume that the "future version" of Setsuna is Rinné's brother, the one who went on an expedition and never came back.
Do remember that Never Island is the past, though.
So, it could also be Setsuna Ohara, the one who died on the other island, who knows...
TerakoJan 29, 2020 4:10 AM
Jul 13, 2020 10:04 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Terako said:
Chrome_Falcon said:

One can assume that the "future version" of Setsuna is Rinné's brother, the one who went on an expedition and never came back.
So, it could also be Setsuna Ohara, the one who died on the other island, who knows...

The VN highly suggest that Setsuna is or better was the biological brother of Rinné. Because time does repair itself and one person should never exist more then one time in the same time period, Setsuna's returning to Never Island resulted in the disappearing of Setsuna from that time.
Jul 13, 2020 3:40 PM
Jul 2017
So, all the events in the VN will repeat for all eternity? Setsuna and the others are forever trapped in this endless time loop with no ways to escape from it?

The anime changed so much from the source that it's not funny. The ending was changed as well, as you said. Would you even say that the anime ending was good in terms of writing and pacing? To me, a fat No. It's strange to see the anime end with Setsuna and Kuon marrying each other, an event that doesn't happen whatsoever in the VN.
Jul 13, 2020 3:41 PM
Jul 2017
Cyanwasserstoff said:
Terako said:

The VN highly suggest that Setsuna is or better was the biological brother of Rinné. Because time does repair itself and one person should never exist more then one time in the same time period, Setsuna's returning to Never Island resulted in the disappearing of Setsuna from that time.

So, basically to prevent time paradoxes, right?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» About the adaptation

TEMPEST_1 - May 10

3 by ptero93 »»
May 10, 1:31 PM

Poll: » Island Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2018

81 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:14 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2018

67 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2018

85 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:12 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

51 by Miki42 »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.