Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2018 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
This is bit long but please bare with me if possible.

People hate Bakugou for reasons like he's a bully or rude to everyone and angry most of the time. It is understandable to hate him at first (which we are supposed to) but later as he progresses still hating on him is just stupid and unwillingness to accept a character than can reedem itself.

Now this might be a bad example but lets take someone who's born in a extremely religious family and was told their entire life by their parents and people around them that god is almighty and nothing is greater than him. Any other person telling them (like an atheist) that god isn't real it is made up, would sound bs to them and really hard to accept and understand. Similarly in Bakugou's case he was told that he was the best by everyone around him and anything else saying otherwise would feel extraterrestrial. Now I'm not saying it is a complete excuse for his behaviour, which gives his character room for development. Does every character have to be a nice guy to be likable? He's redeemable. It would stupid if he completely changes in an day. So he's developing slowly, he doesn't bully izuku anymore and acknowledges his power. He indirectly praised Ochako by saying she's not a frail girl when everyone else was calling her weak. The change isn't sudden, it's slow. Which makes it realistic. His character doesn't need a super sad backstory to stand out. He stands out on his own. I'm not saying to like him but I think it's stupid to hate him without understanding his character.

Even other than that he's arguably the best in class in terms of combat. Makes the use of his quirk in best and creative way. He isn't just a hot head but smart, possibly smarter than our protagonist. He's hero costume looks badass. He himself is a badass! He has a simple ideology, to be no. 1

People are just blinded by the hatred they had for him at the start. Which makes them not see the best of his character. Also the anime adds a lot extra scenes of him raging unnecessarily for comedy which gives them the wrong impression.

I personally think he's a really interesting character.
Sep 11, 2018 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
Counter-argument: he is a cunt, and even if he has some sob-story behind it, he's still a cunt.
To top it off, he's easily one of the most insufferable cunts in anime history.
Sep 11, 2018 1:35 PM

Mar 2018
I 100% support your statement, Bakugo is definetly one of the best aspects of MHA as a whole.

As far as I read the manga, he's got two huge character defining moments :

We've seen the first one in this season, it's when he's being held captive by the vilains and blows off Shigaraki after what he says "I want to win like like All Might" (which was honestly way better portrayed in the manga). Which is the proof that he definetly won't turn the vilain way.

And the other one which will happen next episode and that I of course won't explicit here.

And what I like the most about these moments is that they're payoffs for Bakugo's personnality flaws. You spend a huge amont of time thinking he's only an asshole, and then suddently a new aspect of his personnality is revealed, usually in a very effective way via panneling and facial expressions.

I always kinda liked him but those moments completly changed my opinion on him.

After episode 23 I don't think you'll be able to think he's not a great character, which is different from liking him. Some people will still think him as an asshole, but I hope that at the very least they'll understand him.

PS : The most ironic thing is that sometimes I see people angry at Bakugo the same way he's angry at everyone.
Sep 11, 2018 1:38 PM

Jan 2013
CondemneDio said:
Counter-argument: he is a cunt, and even if he has some sob-story behind it, he's still a cunt.
Yep. I pretty much think BnHA would be mega better if he just didn't exist or wasn't a 2nd main character. He's easily the worst in the series
Sep 11, 2018 1:40 PM

Apr 2017
CondemneDio said:

boom ya boy just took the words outta my mouth

the most well-written dick of all time is still a dick

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ πš–πšŠπš•'𝚜 π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš—
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš‹πš˜πš˜πš™ !
πš’ πš πš’πš•πš• πšŒπšŠπšπšŒπš‘ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŒπš’πš‹πšŽπš› πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš— !
Sep 12, 2018 1:05 PM
Jun 2014
Well, this show radiates that deku is the character the creator was forced to have as a protagonist, but bakugo is the one he likes the best. A bit like with Naruto and Sasuke. I have only watched up to episode 54 and what have Deku done through all these episodes? Not really much to be honest. Even without his control and using full power, others pretty much managed to counter him nonetheless. I'm not sure where the creator is going with him, but unless it's some dragonball shit where he goes beyond his 100%, he'll be useless. This was a bit besides the point though :P

Bakugo is a huge cunt, there is no denying it. He's a bully, he's arrogant and straight up suffers from narcissism. How someone can like such a person is truly beyond me. What do you think about truly spoiled children who always gets what they want and start a serious tantrum when they get their first car and it's not really the color they wanted? Or people who just can't help blame you for everything they do wrong because they CAN DO NO WRONG. I'm sure you won't call them great people.
Sep 12, 2018 1:32 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
How on earth is an extremely egotistical, self-centered, aggressive, anti social jerk a good or well written character?
Also, just because someone is skilled in combat doesn't mean they're a good character.

I will actually rate this series a 10 if the author kills him off.

CondemneDio said:

Exactly what this guy said.
Sep 12, 2018 1:35 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
The people in this thread being all "he's a big cunt" need to read the manga. The anime portrays him with little tact and not enough care for his emotions and how he states his words. He's 14 when the series starts and is 16 now. Of course he's a fucking brat. Teenagers are. Shocking. It's only been 4 months since the start of the series. Y'all expect him to do a 180?

Stormen said:
Well, this show radiates that deku is the character the creator was forced to have as a protagonist, but bakugo is the one he likes the best. A bit like with Naruto and Sasuke. I have only watched up to episode 54 and what have Deku done through all these episodes? Not really much to be honest. Even without his control and using full power, others pretty much managed to counter him nonetheless. I'm not sure where the creator is going with him, but unless it's some dragonball shit where he goes beyond his 100%, he'll be useless. This was a bit besides the point though :P

Bakugo is a huge cunt, there is no denying it. He's a bully, he's arrogant and straight up suffers from narcissism. How someone can like such a person is truly beyond me. What do you think about truly spoiled children who always gets what they want and start a serious tantrum when they get their first car and it's not really the color they wanted? Or people who just can't help blame you for everything they do wrong because they CAN DO NO WRONG. I'm sure you won't call them great people.

?????

What. Yes Bakugou has been stated to be Horikoshi favorite but Deku design and basically his prototype has been the lead in all 3 drafts of the series and a character Hori has said he spent a lot of time on while reflecting his own journey. Considering Kishimoto said similar stuff as to Naruto being himself because of his own depression and not even wanting to add Sasuke but his editors forcing his hand to make a rival for Naruto, your statement makes 0 sense.

And how have you not seen Deku growth as a person and his power? You sound like you want some over powered bullshit like DB to his your high for you. This story is very character and relationship focused.

dragonx1 said:

With an annoying personality, no major backstory,no proper development, and no depth whatsoever, calling him a great character is a stretch. Also "leaving room for development" doesn't qualify him as a great character yet until we get that development.

This Shonen, hell the anime community is too babied by sad sob backstories. Other then Todoroki and a few villains like Twice the sad backstories are non existent. Bakugou is grounded cause he's an ego boosted driven teenager whose built off of toxic masculinity. Its very real. Yes he gets more chill after this season but its beyond that too, try watching episode 1-2 and see that he's steps above different, just because he still gets upset and frustrated doesn't mean he hasn't developed.
Sep 12, 2018 1:43 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Stripes said:
The people in this thread being all "he's a big cunt" need to read the manga. The anime portrays him with little tact and not enough care for his emotions and how he states his words. He's 14 when the series starts and is 16 now. Of course he's a fucking brat. Teenagers are. Shocking. It's only been 4 months since the start of the series. Y'all expect him to do a 180?

Stormen said:

?????

What. Yes Bakugou has been stated to be Horikoshi favorite but Deku design and basically his prototype has been the lead in all 3 drafts of the series and a character Hori has said he spent a lot of time on while reflecting his own journey. Considering Kishimoto said similar stuff as to Naruto being himself because of his own depression and not even wanting to add Sasuke but his editors forcing his hand to make a rival for Naruto, your statement makes 0 sense.

And how have you not seen Deku growth as a person and his power? You sound like you want some over powered bullshit like DB to his your high for you. This story is very character and relationship focused.

dragonx1 said:

With an annoying personality, no major backstory,no proper development, and no depth whatsoever, calling him a great character is a stretch. Also "leaving room for development" doesn't qualify him as a great character yet until we get that development.

This Shonen, hell the anime community is too babied by sad sob backstories. Other then Todoroki and a few villains like Twice the sad backstories are non existent. Bakugou is grounded cause he's an ego boosted driven teenager whose built off of toxic masculinity. Its very real. Yes he gets more chill after this season but its beyond that too, try watching episode 1-2 and see that he's steps above different, just because he still gets upset and frustrated doesn't mean he hasn't developed.

I feel like horikoshi couldn't come up with an interesting rival (both sasugay and katsushit suck), so he pulled bakugo out of his ass. Delu is a fucking idiot for not condemning bakugo for his behavior towards him and their relationsh reminds me (only slightly) of sasusaku.
Sep 12, 2018 1:50 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
DepravedMagi said:

I feel like horikoshi couldn't come up with an interesting rival (both sasugay and katsushit suck), so he pulled bakugo out of his ass. Delu is a fucking idiot for not condemning bakugo for his behavior towards him and their relationsh reminds me (only slightly) of sasusaku.

Why isn't Katsuki interesting?

Why would Deku berate/scold him? I know it's not revealed until the next episode but it's put into view that Deku followed Katsuki constantly as a child and he would constantly push Deku out of his life after he cut off their relationship. The inferiority complex and insecurities lie in both of them. It's both their fault that their relationship turned sour in a way. But they were 5. They were kids. That's the point of it all. They're fucking kids.
Sep 12, 2018 1:53 PM
Jun 2014
Stripes said:

Stormen said:

?????

dragonx1 said:

I kind of rest my case. I was pretty much right.
Sep 12, 2018 1:53 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Stripes said:
DepravedMagi said:

Why would Deku berate/scold him? I know it's not revealed until the next episode but it's put into view that Deku followed Katsuki constantly as a child and he would constantly push Deku out of his life after he cut off their relationship. The inferiority complex and insecurities lie in both of them. It's both their fault that their relationship turned sour in a way. But they were 5. They were kids. That's the point of it all. They're fucking kids.

Imagine someone tormenting and bullying you for years. How would treat that person?

Yes, and that is why I said deku is an idiot. Anyone with half a brain would dissociate themselves from people who bully him/her.

There is nothing interesting about an aggressive and egotistical character.
Sep 12, 2018 2:14 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
DepravedMagi said:
Stripes said:

Imagine someone tormenting and bullying you for years. How would treat that person?

Yes, and that is why I said deku is an idiot. Anyone with half a brain would dissociate themselves from people who bully him/her.

It's explained why he acts like that, it's not just CAUSE. It's explained why Deku has a friendship with him and why he values him despite the distance social and emotional problems have caused to both of them. It's said in episode one that he's never taken being a "bully" that far before unless he was actively provoked: taking in how Japan treats this behavior and how nobody told him at a young age how wrong it was emphasises this. Sounds like a shallow interpretation and way more hyper critical of a teenager with anger issues that stacks pressure and expectations on to himself and has failed in basically every arc thus far but you know. It wasn't spoon fed to you in the text so you probably didn't realize it.
Sep 12, 2018 2:31 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Stripes said:
DepravedMagi said:

It's explained why he acts like that, it's not just CAUSE. It's explained why Deku has a friendship with him and why he values him despite the distance social and emotional problems have caused to both of them. It's said in episode one that he's never taken being a "bully" that far before unless he was actively provoked: taking in how Japan treats this behavior and how nobody told him at a young age how wrong it was emphasises this. Sounds like a shallow interpretation and way more hyper critical of a teenager with anger issues that stacks pressure and expectations on to himself and has failed in basically every arc thus far but you know. It wasn't spoon fed to you in the text so you probably didn't realize it.

Referring to your first statement regarding teenagers and for us haters to read the manga:

-come on, there are a lot teenagers that are brats and even then most are not as aggressive as katsushit
-not all of us are willing to read manga and that statement is pretty weak. One season is enough to have a solid opinion on bakugo.
Sep 12, 2018 2:37 PM

Apr 2016
I'm personally not a huge fan of his. The problem is that the author made him this super over the top bully with a superiority complex with no justifiable reason other than the fact that Izuku needed a rival. In fact, I feel like Todoroki is a better rival to Izuku than Bakugo could ever be.
Sep 13, 2018 9:47 AM
Mar 2016
Florent3571 said:
As far as I read the manga, he's got two huge character defining moments :

We've seen the first one in this season, it's when he's being held captive by the vilains and blows off Shigaraki after what he says "I want to win like like All Might" (which was honestly way better portrayed in the manga). Which is the proof that he definetly won't turn the vilain way.

And the other one which will happen next episode and that I of course won't explicit here.

Actually, I would say that he has three huge character defining moments. I would rate the moment from the remedial course as a huge character defining moment as well.
Sep 13, 2018 5:31 PM

Jun 2015
Honesh to god, lovable, LOYAL, goofy, comic relief. literally likeable are usually things side kicks or deutragonists have...
Krillin,
kuwabara
some steal the show
itachi
killua....

and then theres this dick.

hes deku's osananjimi, HE gave him the name deku. a jerk an asshole and a jackass. he is getting sawft a bit tho... maybe begrudgingly respect deku.....

thenk fully they dont give him too much screen time in s3 so thats a plus abt this season.

he's basically endevour 2.

except endevoue is hero rank 2 [now 1 post fizzle out]
but actual endevour 2 [shoto] will tak ethat spot later.... and he will be stuck at 3.

but behavior wise, hes just an endeavor copypasta
Sep 13, 2018 11:05 PM
Feb 2012
he's a piece of shit and so are the people who like him
hopefully he's offed... but shounen manga so there goes my dreams
Sep 13, 2018 11:40 PM

Aug 2017
ahneeme said:

Mature....... very mature.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Sep 14, 2018 12:56 AM

Mar 2018
ahneeme said:

You're exactly like him so I assume you dislike yourself too
Sep 14, 2018 1:10 AM

May 2015
ahneeme said:

Damn you're pathetic.

Sep 15, 2018 3:05 AM

Mar 2018
Any Bakugo haters left ?
Sep 15, 2018 9:28 AM
Feb 2016
Been liking bakugo since the sports thingy
I feel like im fired up whenever he’s yelling
Sep 15, 2018 9:42 AM

Nov 2014
Aster- said:
CondemneDio said:

boom ya boy just took the words outta my mouth

the most well-written dick of all time is still a dick

a dick who's willing to change is a good dick.
Sep 15, 2018 8:40 PM

Jan 2013
Florent3571 said:
Any Bakugo haters left ?
Don't you worry about it, the "haters" are still around.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 16, 2018 12:09 AM

Jan 2018
Reading this entire thread has literally given me some diseases. Bakugou is a well written character, simple as that, but the haters make it too obvious that it's gotten to the point where they are embarrassing themselves.
Sep 16, 2018 1:02 AM
Jan 2016
Hahaha this is an interesting topic...every person has their own style to express their feelings, Bakugo is like a hardcore-tsundere type maybe...I've predicted that this fight will happen someday and it really happened but it's normal, really normal, and with this fight, the relation between Deku Kacchan and All Might can be opened and everything will be better than before. I believe the relation of Deku and Kacchan can surpass Naruto and Sasuke, it's similar but really different...
Sep 16, 2018 6:25 AM

Aug 2017
I love the harsh line between people who love him and those who hate him, that shows how interesting a character he is
Sep 16, 2018 7:21 AM
Nov 2016
I knew this discussion was gonna come up once the deku vs bakugou fight had aired.

The same thing happened when the fight happened in the manga.
Sep 16, 2018 7:42 AM

May 2014
I think he's a very simple character, but that doesn't mean he's bad. I like him a lot. I just can't help but be reminded of Naruto and Sasuke when Bakugo see's Deku getting stronger and stronger and fights him over it ^^;;
Sep 16, 2018 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
thesarcasticguy said:
I knew this discussion was gonna come up once the deku vs bakugou fight had aired.

The same thing happened when the fight happened in the manga.

But I made this thread before that episode.
Sep 16, 2018 9:05 AM

Oct 2017
Every character gets hate by people, so it's the same here. Doesn't bother me at all. If people want to hate someone before knowing them completely then so be it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 16, 2018 10:01 AM

Oct 2013
At best that makes him an adequate character
then if you like him or dislike him is up to subjective opinion really when observing him as he is

you can call a character great all you want but you can't look past their faults and then say to others that dont see much value in their small somewhat redeeming qualities that they shouldn't hate that character for who they are
Sep 16, 2018 12:15 PM

Aug 2008
Bakugo suffers from inadequate screen time and focus much like too much of the cast. I think his concept his good, but the execution is too spaced out to make him someone I can ever fully get invested in to care about. As such his negative traits are far too emphasized over any positive traits he rarely displays.

It's a problem with the scope of the series in general. If your name isn't Deku or All Might, you're kinda out of sight, out of mind before long (arguably Todoroki as well).
Sep 19, 2018 9:01 AM

Feb 2016
In response to the OP, what do you mean by "great"? Is it great as to how well-written he is or great as to how complex he is or great as a character as a whole? "Great" can be taken into many context and I think what made you post this thread in the first place is the fact that Bakugo has a lot of haters.

I personally LIKE Bakugo as a complex character and how he played out his role in the story. But that doesn't mean I am blinded by the faults he has made. He is a bully, self-absorbed, and has inferiority complex. He has a problematic attitude that needs to be taken care of. Personality-wise, he is not likeable at all. For this reason, I can see why he has a lot of haters and I don't blame them at all. But nevertheless, Bakugo is a complex character. And by "complex", I meant he undergoes an important change as the plot unfolds and which change can be slow or abrupt, and which change in him may be good or bad. Hence, in the end of the story, he could be highly developed as a character.

The fact that Bakugou gets so much love and so much hate is because he’s a really complex character, which makes him interesting -- likeable or not. Bakugo is inspiring, because he’s smart, strong-willed and passionate and displays higher level of competence in fights with his incredible abilities, BUT this doesn't erase and excuse the fact that he has a terrible attitude, especially towards Deku, so people are divided. Loving him or hating him depends on one's own experience and beliefs.

There are actual reasons as to why he’s behaving the way he does, and his behavior itself is not likeable at all. Since Bakugo is a complex character to look objectively through, you can’t help but be drawn to things you don’t understand and try to make sense out of it, at least when you’re interested and curious.

Despite all this, you can still HATE a character after understanding him fully although "hate" is a strong word. However, within the context of the story, he is able to deliver his role. I personally think he is well-written so far as the story progresses and is just befitting to be Deku's rival as they are like two sides of the same coin --- two individuals both dream to be heroes yet possess different inner strengths wherein Deku's strength is his urge "to help and to save" whereas Bakugo's strength is his urge "to win" like All Might does. However, in the world of My Hero Aca, to be a great hero, you are to hone and possess both traits in order to both win and save, achieving real victory -- a symbol of "Peace". Just like a coin on the floor, it can't stand with only either side is shown (defeat), but a coin standing straight up (victory) shows both side of it. And I really think it's a good theme and contrast between the two.
DarkAngel035Sep 19, 2018 9:50 AM
That feeling when you feel you know the feeling of not feeling any feel at all. Get the feeling?
Sep 19, 2018 9:08 AM

Mar 2015
No matter how well-written he is he's still a cunt and it's completely understandable why people dislike him.

It's possible to hate a character while still admitting they're well written.
Sep 22, 2018 6:55 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Thorf said:
Reading this entire thread has literally given me some diseases. Bakugou is a well written character, simple as that, but the haters make it too obvious that it's gotten to the point where they are embarrassing themselves.
You took the words right out of my mouth
Jan 11, 2023 7:21 PM
Jan 2023
I love Bakugou the most out of any anime ever! I want him to choke me and fuck me!

More topics from this board

» Song name?

infinite_Shadows - May 27

8 by matthewy2006 »»
May 28, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Aug 8, 2018

124 by Darzaka »»
May 26, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

468 by AndoRando »»
May 16, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

188 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

161 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.