Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2018 3:54 AM

May 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have read the original novel and I'll try not to compare the novel and the anime movie, but I think the anime movie is a good adaptation and is more true to the novel compared to the live action.

I found this anime very enjoyable. I myself am not social and don't have much of a presence, so there were quite a lot of moments where I can relate to the main character.
I really liked Sakura's answer to MC's question "What does it mean to live?" . For some people I would think it was a generic and obvious answer, but I think it's something that can be forgettable during times when all you can think is about yourself.
I don't have too much to say about the animation, but I really liked the fireworks scene. Very beautiful. Both the OP and ED songs were nice as well.
The scene where Haruki reads the will was....interesting. It's been years since I read The Little Prince, but I'm guessing the scenery showed the progress of the book? I'm not sure if I liked what they did there, but it was kinda captivating.

I recommend this anime movie. Really enjoyed the character development of Haruki :)

Sep 1, 2018 4:52 AM

Feb 2018
Kisaragi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have read the original novel and I'll try not to compare the novel and the anime movie, but I think the anime movie is a good adaptation and is more true to the novel compared to the live action.

I found this anime very enjoyable. I myself am not social and don't have much of a presence, so there were quite a lot of moments where I can relate to the main character.
I really liked Sakura's answer to MC's question "What does it mean to live?" . For some people I would think it was a generic and obvious answer, but I think it's something that can be forgettable during times when all you can think is about yourself.
I don't have too much to say about the animation, but I really liked the fireworks scene. Very beautiful. Both the OP and ED songs were nice as well.
The scene where Haruki reads the will was....interesting. It's been years since I read The Little Prince, but I'm guessing the scenery showed the progress of the book? I'm not sure if I liked what they did there, but it was kinda captivating.

I recommend this anime movie. Really enjoyed the character development of Haruki :)

What option will you recommend? Waiting this anime (airing in my country/BD) or try watch Live Action Movie.
Sep 1, 2018 7:01 AM

Jul 2017
@Kisaragi - If you don't mind, I'd like to ask some questions about the film, since I'm extremely curious. Don't worry about any spoilers though, I've read the manga and novel.

Many thanks to you in advance.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Sep 1, 2018 2:21 PM
Jun 2017
I think live action movie is much better.
7/10.
Sep 3, 2018 5:59 AM
Dec 2015
It’s gonna be quite the wait for it to be released.
Sep 16, 2018 4:03 AM

Jun 2015
Saw this today and it wasn’t bad, it’s something I might watch again once it’s released but it’s nothing mind-blowing. It’s a sweet, somewhat cliche story about life and loneliness, and ends on a bittersweet note, but it was certainly enjoyable and definitely made me feel something. (6-7/10)
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Sep 16, 2018 8:03 AM
Oct 2016
@TheLonelyCynic I take that you watched it at Madman premiere screening event, if so I was there too :) (if I'm wrong then please ignore and sorry about that)

Back to the topic, I came in with high expectations as this movie was being touted as the next movie hit like Your Name or A Silent Voice, I'm afraid I shouldn't have because it somewhat ruins the experience.

It wasn't inherently bad, it's just wasn't good enough. There are various factors (cliched-riddled plot, characters felt too unrealistic) that explains why. However they do delivered the message well and had some emotional moments done right. The movie in my opinion is essentially

tl;dr decent but not great, don't go in with any expectations and the movie will be enjoyable. 7/10
Sep 23, 2018 4:52 PM
Sep 2018
Why is the manga rated so high while this one is rated so low? I haven't watched it yet but I read the novel and manga, and I also watched the live action. The three seems ok to me but this rating for the anime seems so low
Sep 30, 2018 8:34 AM

Jan 2017
Katharsiiis said:
Why is the manga rated so high while this one is rated so low? I haven't watched it yet but I read the novel and manga, and I also watched the live action. The three seems ok to me but this rating for the anime seems so low

I think its bcoz the anime was still released in Japan. Though I still dont know why its this low but I think it would eventually increase in rating once its released in other countries.
Dec 14, 2018 10:23 PM
Jan 2018
it makes me cry as fuck man
Dec 14, 2018 11:49 PM

Dec 2015
Not bad but not good enough and i don't feel anything until the end of movie.
7/10
Sorry for my bad English

Humans see what they want to see
Dec 17, 2018 6:05 AM

Feb 2018
Honestly, I didn't expect Sakura to die when she went to see Haruki. Even though I thought she would die according to her illness.
Dec 18, 2018 2:49 AM
Dec 2017
I am a man. I can do this. I will do this. But why? Why it have to begun on shigatsu? ;-;
"Life isn't always bright as daylight, the real personality of every person is when the night comes and the moonlight that shines through the dark hours."

Dec 18, 2018 5:17 AM

Feb 2017
So the female lead dies? In Anime and live action? (not watched either yet)
Dec 18, 2018 5:55 AM

Oct 2015
Sorrowsenpai said:
So the female lead dies? In Anime and live action? (not watched either yet)
Yep. Although not the way you expected her to die
Dec 18, 2018 12:49 PM

Sep 2017
Them ninja's cutting onions again...

Dec 18, 2018 1:25 PM

Dec 2014
So, regarding the ending though, Kyoko is dating Shiga or the gum guy?

Kyoko said to Shiga, are you confessing to me in front of her grave.

Then Kyoko throw a gum to Shiga and told him that she won't engage in a relationship until exam is over.

Shiga then replied to Kyoko, so "he" will be motivated in the exam.

So, the "he" is the gum guy?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Dec 18, 2018 2:13 PM

Apr 2016
I'd say it's a unique adaptation of the novel... It was pretty good.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Dec 18, 2018 2:15 PM

Apr 2016
aLotQuestion_ said:
So, regarding the ending though, Kyoko is dating Shiga or the gum guy?

Kyoko said to Shiga, are you confessing to me in front of her grave.

Then Kyoko throw a gum to Shiga and told him that she won't engage in a relationship until exam is over.

Shiga then replied to Kyoko, so "he" will be motivated in the exam.

So, the "he" is the gum guy?

I've been thinking the same, which is why I replayed it just to see clearly again. It seems like it. I don't think this was in the novel or the manga. Maybe they wanted to reinforce the fact that they are just friends? But tbh I wouldn't expect her to fall for that guy...

Dec 18, 2018 2:19 PM

Dec 2014
Major_Gilbert said:

Ah! It was you again, I remembered asking whether if you will appear in the anime but you said "Wait for it."

But, in the end, you didn't appear. I hope I will see you in 2 years for the movie.
Dec 18, 2018 2:31 PM

Jul 2017
@realnibba - I believe the movie was an adaptation of the novel, not the manga.
The manga took several liberties and told a somewhat different story with a unique tone.

Not really an excuse, but this is the main guy's voice actor's debut.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 18, 2018 3:36 PM

Sep 2011
The title of this movie is certainly and weirdly catchy, and even though it was kind of awkward at first, I was glad when the title was kind of 'explained' in the beginning, and when it came to hold a big meaning too. I didn't like how extremely extroverted Sakura felt at first though, but I guess we were getting to know her through Haruki's eyes, and this feeling was gone before I realized it, so it's fine.

Now, to the heart of this tale: Sakura and Haruki's relationship, something that they weren't comfortable enough to describe as love or friendship. It was beautifully constructed, and its development was gradual, and heartfelt. Being on the hospital at the same time was a coincidence, but just like Sakura I believe that their bond came to exist because they chose so.

I'm sure she was saved by him, but she also changed his life. She was suffocating, or at least I believe so. Finding herself unable to share the truth with her best friend, or anyone else, and having to see her family trying to cope with the fact that she would soon be gone. There is no way it was easy, she was no longer able to truly "connect" with someone without putting on a bravado, so Haruki having read about her disease by accident/choice ended up becoming a light to her.

Haruki was also a great character, and his personality hit close to home. Having no interest in others, people also had no interest in him, but the worst part was the condescending way they judged him. Kyouko even treated him as if he wasn't even a human being back at that shop, and that double-faced guy who punched him also believed to be better than him. But Sakura was assertive, and didn't give up on having a connection with Haruki. I loved when she shared her answer about what "living" meant to her. Because it was all about connecting, and so Haruki wasn't really living according to this, but he decided to change because he met her.

They came to care deeply about each other, and in the end the poor girl had her life claimed by a murderer even before her disease could do it. I liked the way they pretty much talked to each other one more time as Haruki read the farewell letter she left to him, and how we revisited their moments through her words as he read the diary; it was so poignant and I was also relieved when he finally broke down crying. It was pretty human for someone like him who didn't really let his emotions show if he could help it, though Sakura was able to bring them out during their short-lived relationship.

I also thought that Kyouko was going to end like an insufferable jerk, blaming him until the end, but he truly made an effort to become someone like Sakura, and he was able to become close to her, just like she wanted because they were both important to her. I'm also glad Kyouko ended up with the gum guy, it would be hard to take if she started dating Haruki just like this.

I don't know, I'm not even sure if I commented on everything I wanted, but it was impactful for sure. I liked the three songs too, especially the one that played during that beautiful fireworks display, and the last one, especially the ending one. Their names were kind of interchangeable too, she was waiting for Haruki, for spring, to bloom; but he was also waiting for her to bloom as well. They lived to meet each other, I loved this detail, quite an experience!
Dec 18, 2018 3:49 PM

Dec 2016
As an original LN reader, damn this was a really good anime adaptation, surprisingly much better than the live-action. If you're deciding between the two, definitely watch the anime one.
Dec 18, 2018 5:41 PM
Jun 2016
I don’t know if it’s because I’m fairly older or what... but this probably won’t get me depressed for weeks like shigatsu wa kimi no uso. That being said, her alternate death really got to me, she was such a likeable character.

It’s been a while since my last decent drama, this was pretty good :) curious about how much better the novel is though.
Dec 18, 2018 6:24 PM
Mar 2015
I liked it a lot. The manga really did not do anything for me. Her love for life really came through and in the end made a difference in both their lives Loved her answer to "What does it mean to live?"
Dec 18, 2018 7:42 PM
Jul 2009
I'm posting a spoiler from the sequel novel that was given as souvenir from theaters in Japan during the movie's release

Dec 18, 2018 10:23 PM

Dec 2014
Koshi_Inaba said:
I'm posting a spoiler from the sequel novel that was given as souvenir from theaters in Japan during the movie's release

Ahh I see, so it was the gum guy. That visit grave scene was confusing.

By the way, I got something that I don't understand.

Regarding Sakura's ex boyfriend during Junior High.

There was a scene where Takahiro and Haruki are fighting in the rain.

Haruki then ask Sakura whether if he was her ex, although Sakura didn't admit head on but remain silence, I take it as a "yes".

Sakura and Kyoko were friend since Junior High and Kyoko also knew who was the ex boyfriend.

However, when Takahiro made his first appearance by borrowing Sakura a CD, Kyoko said why don't you date someone like him.

If Takahiro was Sakura ex boyfriend, there is no way Kyoko will say something like that.

Was that a mistake from the author or Takahiro wasn't actually Sakura's ex?
Dec 18, 2018 11:35 PM

Jun 2016
Having read the manga already, i knew i going to cry again- the manga felt somehow sadder to me, maybe because it was my first time seeing the story, i guess.
There were scenes i think could have been handled better but the director made a pretty great job overall. When the credits started rolling i was worrying they wouldnt show the scene with them at sakura's grave but thank god i was wrong lol
In the end it really is a touching story that makes people have some more thought on what life is, just like what haruki asked sakura ;_;
Dec 18, 2018 11:51 PM

Apr 2016
Koshi_Inaba said:

Interesting. Is it pretty short?

Dec 19, 2018 12:02 AM
Jul 2009
Major_Gilbert said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

yes it is, just 63 pages.
Dec 19, 2018 2:49 AM
Jun 2016
aLotQuestion_ said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

Haruki then ask Sakura whether if he was her ex, although Sakura didn't admit head on but remain silence, I take it as a "yes".

Sakura and Kyoko were friend since Junior High and Kyoko also knew who was the ex boyfriend.

However, when Takahiro made his first appearance by borrowing Sakura a CD, Kyoko said why don't you date someone like him.

If Takahiro was Sakura ex boyfriend, there is no way Kyoko will say something like that.

You gotta a point, also the way both Sakura and Takahiro interacted in that scene didn’t seen like Ex couple or anything tbh
Dec 19, 2018 6:28 AM

Dec 2014
Kokorowagurasu said:

You gotta a point, also the way both Sakura and Takahiro interacted in that scene didn’t seen like Ex couple or anything tbh

Yeah, that is why I felt weird and trying to seek answer here.

Maybe manga and live action have difference interpretation.

If they happened to be difference case, then it must be a mistake from author.
Dec 19, 2018 8:07 AM

Oct 2015
Koshi_Inaba said:
Major_Gilbert said:

yes it is, just 63 pages.
The marriage of gum guy and Kyoko was shown in the live action but haruki became a teacher in the live action
Dec 19, 2018 8:37 AM

Jul 2017
For a first effort for a movie, studio VOLN really made this outshine at its finest.

Although the Shigatsu feels are there, some are generic, but it wasn't as bad as I'd hoped.

Had been waiting since early this year, and can call this an Xmas wish granted, and it delivers, sio much better than the live-action film narratives.
Dec 19, 2018 10:14 AM

May 2017
Eh, I almost thought it was a little better than that overrated Kimi no na wa, then that shit cemetery scene happen, I'd rather Kyouko end up with him not some irrelevant bum who was just there to ask people if they want some gum smfh that's just bad writing, bumass gum guy exist just for that, his whole existence on this movie, very disappointing

5/10
LairucremDec 19, 2018 5:29 PM
Dec 19, 2018 11:48 AM

Feb 2011
They anime version was okay but I prefer the live action version
Dec 19, 2018 4:18 PM

Oct 2013
About what I expected, overrated melodrama.

5/10
Dec 19, 2018 6:17 PM
Mar 2018
One question about the ending, also obvious spoiler warning. Who stabbed Sakura? Was it the class president guy, I don't remember them saying anything about who did it.
Dec 19, 2018 8:18 PM
Aug 2018
penisretard69 said:
One question about the ending, also obvious spoiler warning. Who stabbed Sakura? Was it the class president guy, I don't remember them saying anything about who did it.

It's the serial killer
Dec 19, 2018 8:52 PM
Oct 2017
this movie is really evil and sinister
Dec 19, 2018 8:55 PM

Dec 2013
dc22 said:

Drop the "drama" part.
This movie was kinda... emotionless?
Dec 20, 2018 3:01 AM
Mar 2018
It's basically your lie in April but focuses a lot more on the romance and teaches how the bonds we make in our lifetime is what proves our existence, and also without the annoying, extra childhood friend chasing the protagonist who has mummy issues and PTSD from playing the god damn piano.

In conclusion, it was literally your lie in April with the best parts and done right. Even though, I agree that it was kinda of cliched, I felt that this was what made it more relatable and realistic. Hence, I loved it
ChunChunMaruXDDec 20, 2018 3:05 AM
Dec 20, 2018 6:27 AM
Jun 2017
A MUST WATCH MOVIE!!! I LOVE THE STORY OF THIS ONE AND GUESS WHAT, its ending is like YOU LIE IN APRIL kind of thing. I also love how Haruki improved his socialization and way of life thanks to Sakura...

Great movie..
Dec 20, 2018 6:55 AM

Oct 2013
Kamiyan3991 said:
dc22 said:

Drop the "drama" part.

Well it tried to be.
Dec 20, 2018 7:02 AM

Dec 2013
dc22 said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Drop the "drama" part.

Well it tried to be.

Fair enough.

PS: I already don't get these comments. Kimi no Suizou should come across as... average movie? And now I see people giving it 9/10 and calling it a masterpiece, a tearjerker, or something like that. Almost feels like I've seen a different story. Or maybe I'm just too old for this...
Kamiyan3991Dec 20, 2018 7:10 AM
Dec 21, 2018 2:34 AM
Dec 2018
It's hard to put it in words how i feel after seeing this movie. But it certainly does leave a bittersweet feel once everything's over. It was good but it didn't have what it takes to make me cry, i almost but i couldn't
Dec 21, 2018 9:47 AM

Dec 2018
The ending somehow didn’t satisfy me. I loved the movie overall, however. It somehow made me reflect on what living really is...
Dec 21, 2018 1:51 PM

Jan 2014
Beautiful movie......I knew this was gonna be one of those sad anime because well, it opened up with her funeral. I told myself that I wasn't gonna cry, but I ended up crying like 5 times while watching this movie

2 of those times I started bawling and I had to wipe my eyes cause I couldn't see the screen.

Fuck Kimi no Na wa, this is WAY BETTER and actually made me feel something....

a 10/10 for fucking sure
Dec 21, 2018 3:43 PM

Jul 2015
The novel is amazing, the manga is amazing, the anime is amazing, I was worried for the adaptation for things I read beforehand but they just proved out to be wrong, they really did make a great job with the movie.

I love the themes of the story so much, seeing Haruki change over time thanks to Sakura is so beautiful, this movie is pretty much just interactions between both and they sure are amazing from start to end.

Giving it a 9.5/10 as the other two got, wouldn't be surprised to see it get the 10 on a rewatch that I'm sure will eventually do.

Please, appreciate everyone you have around, you never know when you will never see them again!
Dec 21, 2018 8:23 PM
Sep 2018
aLotQuestion_ said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

Sorry but i don’t speek english very well. I will explain to you if you remember when sakura in the beginning told haruki she broke up with her ex and he is with him in the class and they still just friends not lovers, So that explain the fight and the CD just friends. Also i think in my opinion, the guy who kill sakura i think her ex. I was hopping the film show the bastard who kill her :( . In the end i was hopping just one kiss XD omg just hug. šŸ˜«
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» That video game song

Masta_Don - May 9

4 by Masta_Don »»
May 11, 3:12 PM

» *SPOILER* did anyone cry in this movie? ( 1 2 )

ichigo23sterling - Apr 11, 2021

92 by KamijouToumaIB »»
Apr 21, 4:19 PM

» The only movie I refuse to rewatch.

dmdm597 - Jul 21, 2022

48 by v-ega »»
Apr 17, 11:58 AM

» Please explain me the ending (Spoilers)

Anime_lover_2004 - May 8, 2020

16 by Atsunome »»
Jan 11, 5:26 AM

» Anime like this

spasoklab - Sep 10, 2023

29 by that_kool_kid »»
Nov 11, 2023 11:18 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.