Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 27, 2007 1:53 PM

Nov 2006
So...depressing episode...

Nia was...interesting...glad she's not a wimp or anything.
The other chief beastmen/the Spiral King are interesting, glad we got to see them, and I'm glad Chimiruf really died, haha.

Still not over Kamina. :(
I'm glad they kept a pic of him in the ED though, the OP change was massively depressing.

Thought it was a pretty good after-death emo episode, glad Simon was acting the way he was.
...and lol at Forehead as the new pilot. :(

Gattai! ;_;
May 27, 2007 8:45 PM

Mar 2007
Yoko seriously needs to be the new pilot, not Rossiu :(

And they changed the OP? Crud, the one time I skip it and it gets changed >_>;

May 27, 2007 10:45 PM

Jan 2007
Pretty good post death/emo episode. Watching Simon act all emo is kinda hilarious. The meeting between Simon and Nia was cute. Nia seems like an awesome character. Didnt expect her to be the Kings daughter. I like the idea of Simon x Nia. Anyways, looking forward to the next episode.
May 28, 2007 3:59 AM

Apr 2007
Simon looks terrible,he definitely needs more sleep and the appearance of Nia would definitely do him some good,so that his mind wouldn't keep focusing on Kamina all the time and being all emo.
May 28, 2007 5:14 AM

Mar 2007
I thought emo Simon was funny. And I was a bit shocked when he was yelling at Rossiu about god not existing and being a Ganmen, since I'm sure Rossiu has already realised that.

May 28, 2007 7:46 PM

Apr 2007
The animation style looks different. Perfectly appropriate for the episode's atmosphere though.

May 29, 2007 4:28 AM
Apr 2007
Faust721 said:
I like the idea of Simon x Nia.

agreed...i would love to see this pairing since it's obvious that yoko loves kamina so it'll be good for simon to abandon chasing after yoko since i don't see her changing her feelings even after kamina died...

MasterChief said:
Simon looks terrible,he definitely needs more sleep and the appearance of Nia would definitely do him some good,so that his mind wouldn't keep focusing on Kamina all the time and being all emo.

yeah...nia showed up at the right time...i feel like she's gonna be emotional support for simon so her character was needed...

i also really liked this episode...loved the melancholy feeling through the first half with the dreary, dark backgrounds and enjoyed seeing how characters like simon and yoko deal with kamina's death...the tone in this episode was really well done...i already like nia too...her eyes are awesome...like a pink flower in her pupils...can't wait for the next episode too...the new enemy captain's laser whip thing looks kick ass already... :D
Jun 23, 2007 2:56 PM

May 2007
I also like the mood of this episode. Really dreary, the angst, sadness, the rain... Then, the rain stops... and some lights shine through, almost hinting there is some ray of hope left for our young hero with his new friend. Of course, a Ganmen had to emerge, somehow stealthily, and this calm and hopeful feeling is replaced with a huge adrenaline rush to get to safety and survive.

Both Yoko and Simon are both suffering from Kamina's death. Although Yoko cries during the shower scene, she seems to be the one who is looking forward. I think leaving Simon alone for now and making sure he doesn't get himself killed is best. What he needs is time... or someone else to heal his heart.

I guess in comes Nia... love the eyes as well. Those pink flowers in her pupils are pretty cool, but isn't that a dead giveaway that she's not "human". I had a feeling that she was Helix King's daughter, but I'd liked to really know why she was dumped--rather safely-- into the ravine.

I'm not suspecting anything here... I think she's kind-hearted and innocent of any evil intentions. I think the Helix King still cares enough for his daughter.
Jun 23, 2007 3:01 PM

May 2007
windy said:
I'm glad they kept a pic of him in the ED though, the OP change was massively depressing.

Oh yeah, I noticed the change in the OP the first time around. I noticed no yawning, so I didn't skip through and watched the whole thing. I thought to myself... "Woo a new character!" Nia looked interesting from the very start.
Nov 29, 2007 8:02 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah I suspected as well that she was the Helix King's daughter.

Other then his eyes in that scene, he didn't seem very beasty, did he? 'Course makes you wonder how she ended up in a crate that had a hole that was made for Simon's Lagann Key, eh?

I really hate emo simon. He needs to fix that :P
Great episode though! Awesome animation as per usual!
Dec 10, 2007 7:15 PM

May 2007
CanadaAotS said:
he didn't seem very beasty, did he? 'Course makes you wonder how she ended up in a crate that had a hole that was made for Simon's Lagann Key, eh?

xD Exactly same thoughts.

CanadaAotS said:
I really hate emo simon. He needs to fix that :P

Hell yeah.

Man, Nia's voice is a bit frustrating. Its annoying and some how, makes my ears hurt. =P
(Maybe they already hurt cuz Kamina screamed all the time like a ...... dunno, something... =P)
Apr 8, 2008 9:08 PM

Dec 2007
Was pretty good, really wished that it showed more the immediate time after Kamina's death. Simon's rage killing all the Ganmen reminds me of someone else but I can't really put my finger on it, it's kinda like Anakin's rage killing the sand people in Star Wars episode II but there's something else even similar I can't think of. This Nia character is going to change a lot if she sticks with the brigade because the king will either want her back or want her dead.

Also did anyone else notice the guy with the SOS Brigade armband on that one guy when everyone was rushing to see Nia?

#NBHNC
May 1, 2008 8:14 PM

Oct 2007
OP change was a little upsetting :( i liked it when it started out with them yawning.

nia seems like a real interesting character :)
May 28, 2008 6:41 PM

Feb 2008
I feel so bad for Simon T__T
Sing an Emo song for the Death of Kamina

as shown in my pic^_^
Jun 5, 2008 12:45 PM

Mar 2008
Oh look, OP change. :D

But anyways, this episode was enjoyable, even if it was depressing at times. I don't really blame Simon for being "emo"; Kamina became an inspiration and like a brother figure to him, so he's obviously going to be taking this much harder than the others. And it looks like Yoko's also really struggling with this, considering she fell in love with Kamina, he reciprocated and promised to return her kiss "ten times over" after the battle, yet he couldn't; though she seems to be more controlled in her grief than Simon.

Nia looks like an interesting character-innocent and curious. Though I fear she might lack any character development and turn into the flat "pretty perfect princess" character stereotype, I hope not. I admit it was pretty funny when she she cheerfully asks, "What's that? :D " to Simon while he then looks back and OHSHI--IT'S A GANMEN! It looks like she might be the character to "save" Simon and help him in her own way.

Btw, did anyone else notice the DNA symbollism/allusions? Yeah, they've been prevalent during the whole entire series so far, but just got boosted with the names of the rest of the generals, as well as Adiane having a close bond with Thymilph (like the adenine/thymine bonds in DNA).
Jun 14, 2008 4:21 AM

Mar 2007
This version of Simon is better than the pussy version of the last 8 episodes. Sure he's a bit obnoxious but its better than a crying pansyface pusspot (wat?).

OMG when i heard Nia's Voice it immeidately reminded me of hanako-chan from Massugu ni Ikou Even her personality is kind of like Hanako's, ignorant but innocent. It's hard to like a girl when she reminds you of a bitch (female dog). But she is cute as all hell though in a creepy kind of way.

Finally getting decent.

Oh btw whats with that clown saying fire fire fire all the time... it looks like comic relief but looks more rediculous than anything.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 25, 2008 10:37 PM

May 2008
yoko got less cute... :/

but yay nia saves the day and in the end simon looks like less of an emo. yatta!
Jul 16, 2008 8:54 PM

Jan 2008
Simon with the whole tired look is actually kind of attractive and cool :) Never expected me to say that, but he really was!

I actually really enjoyed this episode, one of my favourite ones yet!
Aug 8, 2008 10:51 PM

May 2008
RAAAAAAAAAGE
Gotta love rage.

Also, Nia is adorable. She was one of the main reasons I looked forward to watching this show, and I finally get to see her. And I wasn't disappointed in the least.

But if neither Yoko or Nia get a Ganmen in the near future, I'm gonna RAGE as well.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 22, 2008 10:29 AM

Jun 2007
Come on guys, acting emo is when you get all mopy for no reason. I should think Simon has sufficient reason to be depressed. That is called grieving, not acting emo. Mind you, why was Yoko so upset? I know she was interested in Kamina, but she didn't know him that long.

Nia is the daughter of LordGenome? Well, I wonder how that will pan out...
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Sep 28, 2008 12:01 PM

May 2008
New Character Nia cool.
i was i little surprised in at the end...
Oct 5, 2008 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
aww... I miss Kamina... sigh.

The demon king kind of looked like Jet from Bebop...

Oct 9, 2008 2:21 PM
Apr 2008
I saw that twist coming a mile off O_O

Unfortunately no one can replace Kamina but Nia does a passable job and isn't a bad characater from what I can see. I hope they cheer up a bit though. Kamina's death is the single saddest moment in any anime ever that i've seen.

Oct 17, 2008 7:32 PM

Oct 2008
They changed the opening o.o. Nia is interesting haha
<('-'<) <( '-' )> (>'-')>
Nov 11, 2008 2:58 PM

Sep 2008
Simon and Yoko are getting on my nerves a bit. I mean, I understand why they're acting the way they are, but still...
the OP changed? Dangit, the first time I actually skip it and it changes! D:
Nia's voice annoys me for some reason. It's so high pitched it hurts my ears! She seems like an interesting character, though.
Nov 19, 2008 1:10 AM

Nov 2008
- Robots can vomit too. XD

- Kittan's Ganmen looks surprisingly like a banana. (At first I thought a starfish, but no, a banana, lol!)

- Love Yoko more and more.

- Simon shows some promising fighting spirits, needs more adjustment tho. :D

Interesting episode, it acts like an interlude for this series, me thinks. :P
The wind is my voice, the moon is my heart. I'm here... So close to you... - "Lullaby", Yuki Kajiura
Nov 19, 2008 1:17 PM

Nov 2008
Starrlightx3 said:

Nia's voice annoys me for some reason. It's so high pitched it hurts my ears!

Agree! I don't like her voice.

+ Her eyes... lol... Speechless. XD
The wind is my voice, the moon is my heart. I'm here... So close to you... - "Lullaby", Yuki Kajiura
Nov 27, 2008 9:47 AM
Apr 2008
Not bad post death episode. Simon looks really emo and so does Yoko.
Nov 27, 2008 1:45 PM

Mar 2008
I don't really like these emo and depressed characters. The episode was interesting thanks to Nia's first appearance. She's so cute and i like her voice. It seems a bit too expected she's the Spiral King's daughter...
akuma2002Nov 27, 2008 1:48 PM
Jan 2, 2009 11:53 PM

Jun 2008
Starrlightx3 said:
Simon and Yoko are getting on my nerves a bit. I mean, I understand why they're acting the way they are, but still...

akuma2002 said:
I don't really like these emo and depressed characters.

Are you guys kidding or something? Simon and Yoko in this episode are accurate renditions of how most functioning human beings behave and feel after losing someone close to them.
Jan 3, 2009 3:11 AM

Jun 2008
Grmo said:
Are you guys kidding or something? Simon and Yoko in this episode are accurate renditions of how most functioning human beings behave and feel after losing someone close to them.

Realistic != Likeable

Look at Shinji.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Mar 12, 2009 4:16 PM

Jan 2008
Shinji was far worse in his depression. Not to mention he got said depression for about half of the Evangelion episodes.

Also, Nia is cute ^.^.
Mar 17, 2009 5:29 PM

Jan 2009
In a way, I'm a little disapointed in Yoko's actions. Simon has a completely rational reaction to Kamina's death. He loved him like a brother, and Yoko loved him romantically. Shouldn't she be all depressed like Simon? I get it she wants to be strong and all, but the girl needs to break down sometime.
I think Nia is so adorable, I'm glad shes no panzy like Simon at heart. Hahaha, I guess since Kamina is gone we need another strong character to fill in his spot.

I'm still upset about it, btw-_-
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3
Mar 21, 2009 12:05 AM

Jun 2008
Awh, poor Simon. I only teared up when Yoko teared up, I'm glad she's taking this strongly though, poor baby. Nia is fucking cute as hell. The daughter of Lord Genome whatever his face is, interesting.
Jun 24, 2009 10:00 AM

Jun 2009
Hatet Gainax...
No Kamina?
No Lol.
No Life.

Anywhere, his death was rly some kind of pointless... even to make Emo Simon stronger, another one must die... I did'nt get his, Dude!
Jul 12, 2009 9:34 PM

Feb 2009
-Sigh-

What a bold move, to kill the life of the series so early on. Actually, to kill Kamina at all was a very, very bold move.
Jul 15, 2009 9:15 AM
May 2008
I loved Simon's crazy/depressed eyes... anyway, kind of a slow episode. I think that is what this series needed though... at least once in awhile.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 4, 2009 5:53 AM

Sep 2008
Good after-death episode, and even though Yoko held some interest in Kamina, I don't see why she had to be THAT upset. At least, Simon has more of a right to be more upset about it than she does; it seems like he's known Kamina his whole life - I'm guessing since they lived in that same village underground...

I like Nia. Maybe she can help Simon out of his grieving-ness. Hopefully she'll prevent any YokoxSimon-ness and we'll get SimonxNia instead... :P Wonder how it'll go over with the DAI-Gurren Brigade and Simon that she's the Helix King's daughter?
Aug 29, 2009 2:17 PM

Aug 2009
Sep 23, 2009 8:54 AM

Jul 2009
Well Simon is having his emo/rebellious phase which is a given for any mecha anime protagonist. Nia seems interesting though...if she's a human doesn't that make the helix king human too? O_o
Nov 13, 2009 8:09 PM

May 2009
I don't want to watch this any more... Kamina is gone... Not fun anymore... Only 8 episodes, he died. I thought some epic resurrection would happen in this episode... But, NO.
Dec 30, 2009 5:59 PM

Dec 2009
ha man........ my favorite caracter is dead!!! should i continue whating this??
Jan 5, 2010 5:12 AM

Aug 2009
I'm a bit pissed they took Kamina out of the Opening, there was no need to do that.
Feb 1, 2010 2:58 AM

Jan 2010
Either The Helix King is actually human and Nia is too, or he is a beast man and Nia is not human or at least half human.
Feb 19, 2010 11:12 PM

Jan 2009
EPIC Nia!

Apr 5, 2010 2:28 PM

Jan 2010
werr-y said:
Either The Helix King is actually human and Nia is too, or he is a beast man and Nia is not human or at least half human.

I suspect that the Helix King is human...idk why, it's just a hunch.
Apr 15, 2010 7:13 PM

Nov 2009
ukonkivi said:
But if neither Yoko or Nia get a Ganmen in the near future, I'm gonna RAGE as well.

why the hell would you? ~__~ what would be so bad about that...

Also I love Nia so far <3 And I'm already shipping Simon x Nia XD
SapphireStar26Apr 16, 2010 12:06 AM
Apr 15, 2010 7:57 PM

Apr 2010
Ceraphix said:
werr-y said:

I suspect that the Helix King is human...idk why, it's just a hunch.

I think so too, but some background explanation from the developers would've help

Apr 18, 2010 9:20 AM

Jun 2009
Nia !! <3

Simon needs to stop being Emo, I mean how many times did Kamina tell him that he should be strong?!

I feel sorry for Yoko though.
Jun 13, 2010 5:51 AM

Feb 2009
After a super intense episode, we're now getting character and plot development, at a more slow paced as was to be expected... do want!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

23 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.