Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Seven Deadly Sins
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 24, 2018 11:50 AM
Nov 2015
The Seven Deadly Sins is a series that has always been somewhat generic and yet the first season was actually very good. The clichés were quite well executed to begin with and it introduces the main characters quickly but individually for the most part so that the viewer could almost immediately grow to like their personalities yet want to understand more about them. The pacing was never great, but it meant that story built up fast enough to keep me invested yet not so fast that I barely kept up with it. Furthermore, the comedy was actually decent in the first season and though the fights were never amazing, they were always entertaining.

However, this does not change the fact that this series is generic and unfortunately, so far the second season is not only more generic, but doesn't add anything to the anime and doesn't even have the same charm as the first season. So what exactly is wrong with it?

-There's little death and basically no reason to worry about anyone.

-The main characters are all overpowered and the side characters are pretty useless to make them look stronger. There's also a lot of powering up and convenient 'training' for them to easily beat the more experienced villains. I'm guessing this is because the writer is too lazy to think of a good reason for them to power up or to come up with an actual strategy.

-The only real character development that's been shown so far is Meliodas overcoming his emotions. It was generic and felt rushed. Not even Elizabeth who's been near enough useless so far has begun fighting for herself.

-Crappy villains that have no motive other than to 'destroy'. They aren't even particularly intelligent or merciless.

It's only on season two and it's already feeling too repetitive due to the above reasons and other things I've probably forgotten about. As it becomes more boring, it becomes increasingly hard to actually care and yet I can't bring myself to hate it because of how much I liked the first season. As someone who watched and enjoyed Fairy Tail, another generic yet fun series, I can genuinely say that it has better character development and pacing than The Seven Deadly Sins currently does.

If you've read this far, I'd just like to say thanks. This is the first discussion I've ever done so you'll have to excuse me if I've repeated myself or if it's not that well-written.
Amber Brett
Apr 24, 2018 2:18 PM
Feb 2017
*Meliodas' voice* Sate sate sate...
I agree with all your statements. I really liked the first season but I dropped on the second episode of the second season. I have a feeling I've already seen everything and the only thing that really kept me interested was Meliodas' backstory and the last sin but I figured out that we won't be seeing any of that soon so I just forgot about starting the second season entirely. The anime really had potential but also some major flaws that weren't so noticeable in the first season, but now that people want to se more they will also see more of these flaws that are just being more and more repetitive. I'd still give The Seven Deadly Sins a solid score but I don't think I'll be begging for more any time soon.
Sending you love ❤
Apr 24, 2018 2:23 PM

Feb 2017
We're not even halfway into this Arc and you're already complaining about character development and the Villains having no motives. Be a little patient. There'll be more depth to the villains and the other sins.

For the first 2 points: Welcome to the Fighting-Shounen genre. I mean yea, NnT is kinda generic in this regard, it always was. But it's still better than most other fighting Shounen.

When you swim in the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's a moray!
Sep 17, 2018 12:31 AM

Feb 2018
Change is becoming to was always.
Sep 24, 2018 6:30 PM

Sep 2008
It was always generic. Most Shounen are. Heck, most anime are generic and derivative, especially the popular ones.
Also, the second season is a notch above the first one, barring a few hiccups here and there. I think it adds a lot in terms of story, lore, character development, etc and is an improvement over the first one.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 29, 2018 4:02 PM

Jan 2015
Really weird to see someone who has generic overrated academy in its favorites say this. Nice joke thread
Jun 30, 2021 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
it's the most pathetic and boring show I ever watched especially due to the annoying characters like Diane, Elizabeth, King... Diane's backstory was the least interesting one and these 3 made the show extremely irritating and painful to watch, unnecessary love stories yuck
removed-userJul 1, 2021 8:07 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu Episode 21 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

24 by modboy »»
May 26, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2018

61 by Foressss »»
Mar 23, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

69 by Butterball2305 »»
Mar 16, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2018

65 by hidingfrom_BIBI »»
Feb 29, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu Episode 24 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

46 by GearheadOtaku »»
Feb 6, 2:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.