Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 8:46 AM

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think it is a great start! They covered the prologue pretty smoothly and saving a lot of time! It does feel awkward here and there and glad they kept the part where the protagonist got lost, the world transitioning I mean.

Sojiro is kinder in the anime in comparison to the game.

Loved the Rise easter egg

The Velvet room transitioning, great way to save time.

Anyway, it's pretty faithful and has good direction, plus the protagonist has more personality than Yuu in P4 judging from the first episode alone.

I have high hopes for the series, even if the castle part feels a bit rushed, it wasn't bad, they got all the important details set and presented and I liked the Kamoshida and Ryuji eye-contact before he drives off.

The OP wasn't animated, but it sounds amazing, but it was way too fast.
MxxxstationApr 7, 2018 8:58 AM
Apr 7, 2018 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
I haven't played the game before but thought this is an interesting start. First opening minutes introduced Ren.

The overall setting had a Persona feel (I've seen some of the previous Persona series before). What did impress me so far its the technical quality (especially the music) and also the way the show giving a very mysterious vibe.

Not too many characters were introduced so far but I think that's fine. It's a 2 cour show so they got plenty of time. The train scene was pretty thrilling imo and I'm hoping the show has more of those thrilling segments.

Apr 7, 2018 8:58 AM

Nov 2007
The group in action. Main guy (FukuJun) got caught, though. A lady, who seems to know the another world, asked about how he got the power.

Showing that he got some kind of trouble and got someone working in the cafe inspecting him. When arriving to the station, a mysterious app got to his cellphone and he deleted it. He dreamed of getting into another world. Many accidents...

He saw the twin tail girl and delinquent looking guy, voiced by Mamo. The app. that was supposed to be deleted, worked on its own and lead them to another world. As delinquent looking guy getting punished, he got? released? the power.

The song played at the end (OP?) is cool, like any other Persona series.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 7, 2018 9:02 AM
Mar 2014
Not bad at all.
- Beneath the Mask in 10 seconds....A little bit surprise.
- Look like Ren using Xperia instead Iphone.
- Awakening First time better than old one.
Apr 7, 2018 10:10 AM

Jun 2013
As someone who never played the game, I think they did fine introducing people like me to the series.

The supernatural effects are beautiful to watch and the main character seems pretty likable one.
Also, I like that song at the end (Probably the opening). The soundtrack is pretty good as well.

4/5 I think it's a good start to this series, I look forward to the next episodes.
Apr 7, 2018 10:36 AM

Apr 2016
The moment when you recognize the voices from the game! Holy shit man!

I know its the must for the adaptation, but i'm glad how close this is to the game (at least here in the first episode), and how it reminded me how much i love the game. They even used the same music.

Im hyped.
Apr 7, 2018 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
Played a hell lot of the game, happy with how they've handled the introduction. Great so far!
Apr 7, 2018 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
Where can I watch the raw?
Apr 7, 2018 10:42 AM

Dec 2014
That was great.

The opening sequence was lit, so much style.

I haven't played the game even though I really really want too. Not having a console does bite you sometimes. That said, great presentation overall. I'm familiar with P4 so I think I've got the gist of what happens.

The Velvet room transition along with it's classic soundtrack was fantastic.

Is the game's story also told through a flashback kinda way as it's happening here?
I assume the bodily injuries/ whatever Ren was convicted for in the past was related to him using his power?
Are the Phantom Thieves and their calls/contracts are basically for people who are affected/affiliated from the other world?

The final scene was awesome and the OP if that's what the final song was is great too. Looking forward to more.
Apr 7, 2018 10:48 AM

Feb 2018
I know they will be show Arsene (Ren Amamiya Persona) awakening in the very first episode, But i feel this episode a bit rushed. Maybe because we have 2 day in game in this episode. Cut off the day when he and uncle sojiro go to the school.

anyway i like how they show that aplication. It will be easy to understand for non-gamer viewer. And i like how they potray about Ren' case that make him in the probation.

By the way

Overall, it has pace issue but i still like it
gadboyzApr 7, 2018 10:52 AM
Apr 7, 2018 10:52 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm his past sure has him marked in society though. Kamoshida's castle sure is impressive. The armoured guards fitted well with the theme as well. The last thing the shadow expected was resistance from the prisoners though. A solid first episode. So far they got everything from the game correctly which is good. A great start to the series i think in that they managed to cover the prologue and the first days smoothly. Pace so far has been good as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 11:01 AM
Oct 2016
Episode 1 was very eh, as expected. It was not paced in an exciting manner, the cuts weren't good, and anything that I.G. did in the anime was just done worse here by A-1. The cell scene at the end was probably the best part.
Apr 7, 2018 11:03 AM
Jan 2018
i love both persona game and anime,i've play all game and watch all anime series but i think persona 5 is the best,right?
Apr 7, 2018 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't felt like it was too rushed, Kamoshida's voice freaks me out imo (I played english ver. i'm so pissed off lol)
Is going pretty well and only anime users are going to enjoy for sure imo
Apr 7, 2018 11:09 AM

Dec 2017
Wtf is this pacing? Goddamn this thing is rushed. I hope that it gets better than this, cause that was pretty awful.
Apr 7, 2018 11:12 AM

Dec 2014
What was rushed? Captured everything that was needed and scenes lasted long enough to make an impression. In fact, I thought the original game was still too slow at the beginning. Really liked this ep and can't wait for more!
I need sleep.
Apr 7, 2018 11:13 AM

Feb 2018
SomeMoron said:
Wtf is this pacing? Goddamn this thing is rushed. I hope that it gets better than this, cause that was pretty awful.

They want to show Ren awakening at first episode, it was expected like Yu awakening at Persona 4 first episode. But yes, 2 day in game in this episode feel rushed.
Apr 7, 2018 11:13 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty good start. Thought that the pacing was pretty fast, but the beginning was covered good, at least for now. Even when watching the pre-7min thought that Nijima's character looks a bit weird, still think so. Oh and Ren's eyes in the end, don't remember that it was like that in the game o0
Waiting for Makoto to appear =/
allenjkeApr 7, 2018 11:22 AM
Apr 7, 2018 11:16 AM

May 2008
GOD THAT WAS GREAT. I'M SO PUMPED. I cannot believe Tae was there in ep 1 for like 5 seconds djfgnjhkh my wife.

Maaaaaan Akira looks so damn good. I can't wait for next week already.

Apr 7, 2018 11:18 AM

Feb 2017
Loved this shit, i definitely didn't feel like it was rushed too bad. I mean come on, how do you expect them to fit 100+ of gameplay in 24 episodes? Do you really want to see Ren spend 10 minutes looking for the cafe? They cut that shit into like 30 secs while still showing everything and even slipping Takemi into the scene which was awesome.

My only concern is how it seems that they've interpreted Ren's lack of dialogue in the game (you play as him so obviously he doesn't talk much) to mean that he's a bit shy/timid. This isn't the vibe i got from his personality at all during the game but we'll see how it goes. Super hyped for the rest of the series
Apr 7, 2018 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
I haven't played the game nor have any previous experiences with the Persona franchise but I thought that this was a really good and interesting episode.

That whole thing with the castle was bizarre.
Apr 7, 2018 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
What a fantastic first episode! I am now gonna be totally hooked on this awesome series!

Despite never having played any of the games before, I am still very much a fan of the anime versions!
Apr 7, 2018 11:20 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Ah this was an awesome start. I love the game so much and seeing how the first episode treated the early material was a joy. I also had some doubts that the anime wouldn't use the OST from the game but I'm glad that isn't the case.

I'm very much looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 7, 2018 11:23 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty fast paced,but I'm intrigued.

Production values seem good too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 2018 11:24 AM

Mar 2013
not a bad start but I'm a little worried about what might get skipped or shortened. I want to hold out on this just so I can marathon it later but I can't I need to watch it right away. I wonder what other references/callbacks are they going to have because I did notice the rise one right away (at least I think that was rise).
Apr 7, 2018 11:27 AM

Apr 2015
Looking Cool Joker!!!

I don't care about the pacing, i love it.
Ryuji and Ann *-*

oh... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Apr 7, 2018 11:32 AM
Jun 2014
As someone who has played up to the 4th palace (working on finishing, but busy with Uni), the pacing is fine. But for people new to P5, it would kind of be hard to follow and understand. Hopefully the next episode shows what is happening and explains more.
Apr 7, 2018 11:33 AM

Nov 2016
Interesting first episode showing the true personality of the main char. I never played the games before but I enjoyed what I watched. That ending song is catchy.
Apr 7, 2018 11:35 AM
Apr 2014
ScarRufus said:
Looking Cool Joker!!!

Ryuji and Ann *-*

oh... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not sure,
Apr 7, 2018 11:38 AM
Apr 2015
Pretty good start, it actually has nice directing which is surprising coming from A-1 Pictures.
Though, I felt like the last 5 mins or so didn't capture the atmosphere at all, and the awakening scene wasn't as intense as it was in the game. But maybe the game just raised my expectations too high.
I also liked the small details like the random Takemi walking in the city and that *cough* paper that fell from Kawakami.
Apr 7, 2018 11:39 AM

Apr 2015
JaimeC said:
ScarRufus said:
Looking Cool Joker!!!

Ryuji and Ann *-*

oh... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not sure,

hmm..
Apr 7, 2018 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
That was great.

I haven't played the game even though I really really want too. Not having a console does bite you sometimes. That said, great presentation overall. I'm familiar with P4 so I think I've got the gist of what happens.

Is the game's story also told through a flashback kinda way as it's happening here?
I assume the bodily injuries/ whatever Ren was convicted for in the past was related to him using his power?
Are the Phantom Thieves and their calls/contracts are basically for people who are affected/affiliated from the other world?

The final scene was awesome and the OP if that's what the final song was is great too. Looking forward to more.

-Yes, the game is told through flashback, but the story continues after the day he got caught

-His injuries were made by that agent guy who kicked him, unless you were talking about the mask thing? That's what happens in every awakening

-Not exactly, it'd be a spoiler to tell
Apr 7, 2018 11:41 AM

Sep 2017
ahhh i already realllyyyy like this,the art and nimation just looks so refreshing and nice,i cant wait for the next few episodes where the story starts to add up and make sense (incase you haven’t played the game)

Also,how can Ren be so beautiful?even when he’s covered in bruises he just shines˚✧₊⁎⁎⁺˳✧༚

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Apr 7, 2018 11:44 AM

Dec 2014
Bigaku said:
Pretty good start, it actually has nice directing which is surprising coming from A-1 Pictures.

Think it helps that the director's the same one that did Shin Sekai Yori.
I need sleep.
Apr 7, 2018 11:45 AM

Apr 2012
Lol, I finally watched Persona 5 in ongoing. I only have one question, why is the first episode so poorly and awkwardly animated? I feel like I'm watching a video in the game itself and some of it reminded me very much of Tsuki ga Kirei with it's slow animation.
Apr 7, 2018 11:45 AM

Oct 2011
Amazing episode.
Apr 7, 2018 11:46 AM

Jan 2016
LOVED IT! GOTY, do we have an AOTY here? Probably not but this will be a fun ride.

And please ffs, if you have the opportunity to play the game, do yourself a favor and buy it!

Saturdays are gonna be fun!
Apr 7, 2018 11:47 AM
Aug 2015
This was a fantastic first episode, love all the suttee hints to the other games and the wait was worth it.
Apr 7, 2018 11:52 AM

Aug 2013
OOOOOHHHH this was so amazing. i have goosebumps.
i love the game so much, and i really can't believe the anime is finally airing!! i'm so happy!

we finally get to see the gang animated! and i love that they use the game's soundtrack and even the art style (like when he was going to yongenjaya, it was just like the game)

really can't wait for next week!!
Apr 7, 2018 11:56 AM
Jun 2017
I haven't played game but opening was really interesting. Art was awesome, ı really attach Persona 5
Apr 7, 2018 11:57 AM

Jan 2018
I really enjoyed this and I'm surprised that they managed to keep it relatively well paced. I'm really excited to see how the rest of the series turns out. I also liked that little preview for the next episode lol.
Apr 7, 2018 11:58 AM

Dec 2014
Syrhar said:
Lelouch0202 said:
That was great.

-His injuries were made by that agent guy who kicked him, unless you were talking about the mask thing? That's what happens in every awakening

I'm referring to those short cuts where we see some guy and a woman and it looks the latter is being attacked. I'm referring to reason for which the protagonist was kicked out of his old school and eventually his house.
Apr 7, 2018 12:00 PM

Feb 2018
RobertBobert said:
Lol, I finally watched Persona 5 in ongoing. I only have one question, why is the first episode so poorly and awkwardly animated? I feel like I'm watching a video in the game itself and some of it reminded me very much of Tsuki ga Kirei with it's slow animation.

In-game cutscene animation was made by Production I.G. This series is by A-1 Pictures. Different studios and different animator. And A-1 Pictures is a studio with a lot of project. they can't focus on one project. because of it sometimes A-1 anime is good like Shinsekai Yori or your lie in april but sometimes its terible like SAO II
Apr 7, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
Syrhar said:

I'm referring to those short cuts where we see some guy and a woman and it looks the latter is being attacked. I'm referring to reason for which the protagonist was kicked out of his old school and eventually his house.

Do you want to bo spoiled? i ask it first
Apr 7, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2018

I understood that he is trying to remember, and that it was all flashbacks, and that the prosecutor is probably a part of his team.
No idea about the awakening, but i suppose it will be explained later, so I am not so worried.
Thank you :)
A_Haiku_UnlooseApr 7, 2018 12:11 PM
Apr 7, 2018 12:04 PM

Apr 2012
ade-pewe said:
RobertBobert said:

In-game cutscene animation was made by Production I.G. This series is by A-1 Pictures. Different studios and different animator. And A-1 Pictures is a studio with a lot of project. they can't focus on one project. because of it sometimes A-1 anime is good like Shinsekai Yori or your lie in april but sometimes its terible like SAO II

I see... Well, I'm just pretty worried, since this game seems to me the most enjoyable of the franchise. But the first episode is noticeably narmy when it comes to the animation of some scenes.
Apr 7, 2018 12:05 PM

Dec 2014
ade-pewe said:
Lelouch0202 said:

Do you want to bo spoiled? i ask it first

I'd rather not but a vague answer of whether I'm on the right track or not would be appreciated. XD
Apr 7, 2018 12:05 PM

Feb 2018
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Well, as someone who hasn't played the game (or any game of the franchise), it was pretty confusing and hard to follow.
The blue butterfly is *very* original, though.
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Well, as someone who hasn't played the game (or any game of the franchise), it was pretty confusing and hard to follow.
The blue butterfly is *very* original, though.

Basically the story is Ren try to memorize the origin of this power and all of that moment (later) while he is interogated by that prosecutor.

if you confused about awakening in the end, Yes because you didn't play this game or franchise before
Apr 7, 2018 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
You're not on the right track then. Actually, in the game that was explained before the awakening so it probably won't be long until it is explained here
Apr 7, 2018 12:08 PM

Apr 2015
RobertBobert said:
ade-pewe said:

I see... Well, I'm just pretty worried, since this game seems to me the most enjoyable of the franchise. But the first episode is noticeably narmy when it comes to the animation of some scenes.

No matter what, the medium is different and on top of that, I am glad that A-1 is faithful with the animation rather than giving them A-1 generic faces like P4G had.

Plus, it felt fast yet nothing important was left out, it was amazing plus the directing is good for the first episode. Just wait and see.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

33 by Shota_Thighs »»
May 7, 10:57 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

143 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 15, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

40 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

6 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 21, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

4 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 16, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.