Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 1:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh I like this new OP song. A lot of hype in it with the characters and lyrics by Uverworld is catchy. Nice to see some spotlights of the villians too.

We got reintroduction of the heroes and everyone as usual. Now I did wish they didn't reuse footage from the previous season for this episode but whatever. Lol, the episode had fan service. Shirtless guys and girls in swimsuits. This season knows what the audience wants!

It was a fun start timo. Not very serious but got me back into the mood of the show again. I'm excited to see more episodes for the main plot soon!
Apr 7, 2018 1:51 AM

Jan 2012
And so the time has come at last for the third season of My Hero Academia to begin! And we do begin with "Game Start," the 39th episode overall. Inspired largely off of an extra double-page spread at the end of Volume 5 of the original source manga it's time for some anime-original pool antics! And I gotta say, I do sympathize with Mineta and Kaminari's desires. I mean the girls look fantastic in swimwear, especially Momo my god! XD But all of them do really. Well I suppose it was nice to start back into the series, recap bits aside, but I'm certainly ready for things to begin progressing even more with the main storyline next week! Oh, and yeah, fun op/ed. Visuals were very nice in particular.
animefan8800Apr 7, 2018 2:58 AM
Apr 7, 2018 2:00 AM

Dec 2017
Good episode to start off the season even if it was filler. Love the OP and the visuals of the ED.
Apr 7, 2018 2:25 AM

Nov 2013
the episode back is a filler but not a bad .I enjoyed
Apr 7, 2018 2:49 AM

Jul 2016
The new Free! is looking good.
Apr 7, 2018 2:57 AM

Dec 2012
Great to see this show back for a 3rd season. OP Song is awesome. Loving the visuals & the ED song is nice.

Didn't mind the recapping for the 1st episode. The pool episode was nice.

Can't wait to see the upcoming arcs get animated.

Plus Ultra!
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 7, 2018 2:58 AM
Sep 2016
Trashy overhyped shounen needs trashy filler recaps... No surprise there

Gotta please the fujos with a "beach" episode I guess
JudoJDApr 7, 2018 3:04 AM
1.1.Six
Apr 7, 2018 2:59 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Not bad knowing it was a recap. I like how they integrated it with some fanservice and break fun. The good content. It's just something we'll have to get used to with us getting these seasonally instead of all the time.

Good shit though. Though did anyone else think the op and ed were pretty mellow considering what's to come in this arc? Or was it just me??
Apr 7, 2018 3:01 AM

Nov 2016
Nice to have this back.

There was a lot of recapping
I'm kinda salty that the image I saw beforehand was just the imagination of Kaminari and Minetayet it was still a good start and especially for what it was.

The swim competition was without a doubt the highlight,even tho Eraserhead had to interfere just when it got exiciting at the end.

Opening was pretty good,the problem is that I'm a bit spoiled by the greatness of the first two openings,but this one was at least better than season 2's second one,so I hope it will grow on me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 2018 3:06 AM

Dec 2014
BnHA is back! :D

The OP is fire! Uverworld ftw!

I knew that the first episode was gonna be a recap but hey it was pretty damn good for one. XD
Seems like Bones know how to do a good recap episode, just like how they did for Mob Psycho. :3

Mineta and Kaminari in the beginning with their ingenious plan to catch the girls in their swimsuits had me laughing. 'Let's invite Deku so that teacher's things we're actually gonna train', gold stuff man. XD
Too bad they didn't get the view they were looking for but hey Mineta's right, School swimsuits are good too. XD

I like how they put the competition stuff in there for the fun of it between the recap portions and it was pretty interesting that they decided to recap events out of order as well. I kinda wish we got to see that final race though.

Glad to hear the glorious soundtrack again. <3

Can't wait till things really begin in the next episode. This season is gonna be lit and I'm even more certain after seeing the OP visuals. Question is how much are they gonna adapt into these two cours.
Lelouch0202Apr 7, 2018 3:09 AM
Apr 7, 2018 3:10 AM
Nov 2017
Ight let’s be honest . The episode was boring until bakugo showed up .
Apr 7, 2018 3:12 AM

Dec 2013
The visuals for the new opening was hype but I didn’t care for the music. It felt out of place.

The anime original bits were fun a time least. Nice timing by Aizawa at the end.
Apr 7, 2018 3:13 AM

Jan 2016
Lol, loved it! My Hero Academias filler wasn't half bad. Recap while having a pool training segment.

This season is gonna be lit! I remember that the tournament arc wasn't anything special until the anime aired it, can't wait to see what they'll do with the next 3 arcs. We're all in for a ride!
Apr 7, 2018 3:15 AM

Feb 2018
This episode is OK. But the real thing will appear next episode.
Apr 7, 2018 3:16 AM

Feb 2018
Deku already looks like he is much more muscular now just imagine him with all mighty body xd
Apr 7, 2018 3:17 AM

Mar 2008
Mineta up to his perverted tricks again. lol Can't wait for the next episode. Go Beyond, Plus Ultra!
Apr 7, 2018 3:18 AM

Aug 2016
Hm pretty much a recap/beach(pool) epsiode.
Wasn't too bad tho but I can't wait till we get to the summer camp arc.

Also some nice Tomura scenes, I think around this time I really started liking his character in the manga.
Apr 7, 2018 3:19 AM
Sep 2017
first episode was the recap.....
Apr 7, 2018 3:21 AM

Jul 2017
Love the OP a lot. Not a bad episode but I'm excited to see what happens with the training camp now.
Apr 7, 2018 3:25 AM

Feb 2018
Also that last race was just a fckn tease :/
Apr 7, 2018 3:25 AM
Sep 2017
Love the new OP. The episode was good. Excited for the next episode.
Apr 7, 2018 3:30 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yeeeepaaaa here is the third season!!!
Like the new OP!!!
Well, nice first episode between the introduction and the fanservice, for to me, i seemed cool ( or i was very exciting hope the premiere)!!!! kekeke
Mountain, training and .... new enemies for this season!!! kekeke
Apr 7, 2018 3:31 AM

Aug 2015
Uneccessary and complete garbage filler episode. I thought it can't get worse than episode 19 of season 2, this proved me wrong.

Apr 7, 2018 3:37 AM

Feb 2018
Corvus8 said:
Uneccessary and complete garbage filler episode. I thought it can't get worse than episode 19 of season 2, this proved me wrong.

Yea I also thought that was kinda stupid I mean the manga readers already knew what's gonna happen but at lest keep the others a little in suspense.
Apr 7, 2018 3:39 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
OP visuals are so lit that I'm on fire (spoiler-heavy af tho). The song itself is kinda weak, since it doesn't quite match with the OP visuals all the time. UVERworld can make more energetic OPs than that.

As for the episode itself, it was okay. It's filler, but it's a fun way to start the series. Considering that the season is 25 episodes, if they want to end at chapter 120, they'll need to have a lot of anime-original stuff to pad it out.

3/5
Apr 7, 2018 3:39 AM

Mar 2018
Basically a recap episode, but I'd be lying if I didn't have the biggest smile on my face seeing the cast growing up with their new T H I C C bodies. Got a couple of laughs out of me too.

So happy it's back.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 3:42 AM

Sep 2017
RECAP EPISODE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh well, I suppose that the real story begins next week. I mean Hajime no Ippo had a bunch of these kinds of episodes and it was still a really good shonen, so knowing the fights to come I hope that they are animated as well as the sports festival arc, and if they are, this season is going to be even more hype than the last one. Don't let me down, Hero Aca!
Apr 7, 2018 3:55 AM

Apr 2011
It was more like a recap episode
even though I thought it would be a fanservice one judging by swimsuit images...
nevertheless BNHA is finally back!!!! :>
Apr 7, 2018 3:59 AM

Mar 2018
I hoped somewhat that they wouldn't do the recap thing but it was done quite nicely.

However I have mixed feelings about the OP, the song is not that catchy and most of the time doesn't suit the imagery, and the imagery, despite being awesome, definitly shows too much.

I have big expectation on this season because it'll adapt two of the most amazing arcs in the manga.
Don't worry, it'll be great.
Florent3571Apr 7, 2018 4:31 AM
Apr 7, 2018 4:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Well if you're going to do a recap episode to refresh people's memories, I suppose this is better than most.

Bakugou once again showing that he's the most insufferable, pedantic, immature piece of garbage character in the cast. I wish I could mute his rants/screaming without turning the volume down for the rest of the cast.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 7, 2018 4:01 AM
Mar 2016
xShinigami3125 said:
Corvus8 said:

Yea I also thought that was kinda stupid I mean the manga readers already knew what's gonna happen but at lest keep the others a little in suspense.

Why are you complaining as a manga reader?
It's obvious that openings are spoiling stuff, that's nothing new. The first opening of season 1 spoiled All Might vs Noumu, the first opening of season 2 spoiled Deku vs Todoroki, the second opening of season 2 spoiled Deku, Iida and Todoroki vs Stain. Plus similar to the Deku vs Todoroki spoiler, it might be hard to notice for someone who doesn't know the context.

Anime-onlies will most definitely skip the opening if they don't want to get spoiled.
Apr 7, 2018 4:08 AM

Jan 2009
a recap filler episode but its nice to be reminded of what happened in earlier seasons
Apr 7, 2018 4:09 AM

May 2015
The OP was lit and I didn't mind the recap/filler episode, I liked it. It was nicely done.

PLUS ULTRAAA!!
ArtG1Apr 7, 2018 4:20 AM
Apr 7, 2018 4:11 AM

Aug 2015
TheEnhancedExe said:
xShinigami3125 said:

It's obvious that openings are spoiling stuff, that's nothing new. The first opening of season 1 spoiled All Might vs Noumu, the first opening of season 2 spoiled Deku vs Todoroki, the second opening of season 2 spoiled Deku, Iida and Todoroki vs Stain. Plus similar to the Deku vs Todoroki spoiler, it might be hard to notice for someone who doesn't know the context.

Anime-onlies will most definitely skip the opening if they don't want to get spoiled.

Actually i'm not really complaining about the opening scenes in itself, i'm confused why the decided to already show the biggest fight scene of the NEXT arc. The biggest fight of this arc is
, which is also shown, but why didn't they show
in the 2nd opening?
Apr 7, 2018 4:12 AM
Oct 2017
Ohh Look it's Free with superpowers :3

Filler episode but was not that bad. Looking forward to the rest of the season
Apr 7, 2018 4:12 AM

Oct 2009
A bit sad. Was looking forward to this and ep 1 ended up being a flash back episode >.> but oh well :3

and I like how the villain is always turning off the TV xD
Apr 7, 2018 4:24 AM

Sep 2009
I had been dying to hear UVERworld's new song! They have created another awesome work. The animation looks nice for the OP. I can't unsee the part where Kacchan just appears in the middle and Todoroki flying across the screen that Ishikawa Kaito was saying during the LINE Channel live broadcast.

There are mixed feelings when it comes to filler episodes but I would say this one is not bad for a start, because we know that the upcoming episodes would be tensed as heck... Although I haven't started on the manga, hearing the seiyuu talk about the upcoming episodes is tempting me to start reading it.

I had high expectation for the 50m pool race but it turned out quite bad for my taste. :(

But overall, it's a good watch.
Apr 7, 2018 4:25 AM
Nov 2016
Corvus8 said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

Actually i'm not really complaining about the opening scenes in itself, i'm confused why the decided to already show the biggest fight scene of the NEXT arc. The biggest fight of this arc is
in the 2nd opening?
Both fights will be covered in the first cour.
Apr 7, 2018 4:27 AM

May 2017
Midoriya shounen.

Greatness! This was a good recap in my opinion. Im ready for the next week.

Great Opening Visual not sure about the song though.

Remember there is a scene after the ending
Apr 7, 2018 4:30 AM
May 2013
decent filler. looking forward to some real story content next week. just glad to have MHA back.
Apr 7, 2018 4:36 AM

Nov 2016
Despise being original/recap this was a good introduction episode, showing the characters growing over the past two seasons. I don't know how to feel about the opening, some parts are good but there are others that don't suit.
Can't wait for more episodes!
Apr 7, 2018 4:39 AM
Nov 2017
Farabeuf said:
Well if you're going to do a recap episode to refresh people's memories, I suppose this is better than most.

Bakugou once again showing that he's the most insufferable, pedantic, immature piece of garbage character in the cast. I wish I could mute his rants/screaming without turning the volume down for the rest of the cast.
Lol ... considering he made the episode actually not boring and he’s the most popular character this comment was a joke .
Apr 7, 2018 4:41 AM
Nov 2017
Corvus8 said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

in the 2nd opening?
Why would they show all night vs OFA in the 2nd opening if that’s gonna happen in the 1st cour . The arcs aren’t that long and considering there’s gonna be a bunch of fight and action scenes , some episodes are gonna adapt 3+ chapters . If they pace it the way it’s supposed to be they are gonna end at chapter 121
Mar 2016
Corvus8 said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

in the 2nd opening?

Jun 2014
Not sure how I feel about the OP just yet. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to see if it'll grow on me but right now I'm just not feeling it.

It sucks that the first episode back is a recap/filler but thankfully it's just one episode out of 25. And despite it being a filler recap, it was still pretty enjoyable. Really looking forward to the rest of the season, and I can't wait to see the (arguably) best fight of the series animated.

Also, I find it interesting that some people are worried about the OP "spoiling" certain fights. All I have to say about that is, it's literally only a few seconds out of the entire OP. Non-manga readers most likely won't even notice or care, and even if they do, I doubt seeing a few seconds will ruin the entire experience for them once the story gets there. After all, it's not like the whole fight is being shown. They're just showing a glimpse to create hype.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 7, 2018 4:44 AM
Sep 2016
8.8 - 8.7 recap episode?

Lol.. The MHA cancer is real XD
1.1.Six
Apr 7, 2018 4:50 AM

Jan 2016
I love the opening! Ending was probably good as well but not really memorable for me.
Wanted to see the race between Todoroki, Bakugo, and Midoriya though :(

Season 3 will be the death of me. KiriBaku was so alive in this episode!
Apr 7, 2018 4:51 AM

Feb 2018
The anime I had been anticipating the most finally aired YEEEEE

Apr 7, 2018 4:55 AM

Oct 2017
And we're back with the heroes! That was a sweet and entertaining episode, even if it was half recap. Seeing that opening sequence really hyped me up. Perhaps more than the first one of Season 2. Uverworld did a great job singing that song. Ending song was nice too, liked the comic-styled scenes there.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 7, 2018 4:56 AM

Mar 2010
Am i the only one annoyed that during the introduction Midoriya says: "This is the story of how i became the greatest hero." I mean: It is such a spoiler! Also, it is not even proven, not even in manga, that he will become the greatest hero (so far). So why do they spoil it so?
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Song name?

infinite_Shadows - May 27

8 by matthewy2006 »»
May 28, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Aug 8, 2018

124 by Darzaka »»
May 26, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

188 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

161 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2018

262 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.