Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2018 7:52 PM

May 2013
tldr; why is Devilman Crybaby so hyped and is the hype justified? (apologies in advance if this is more appropriate posted elsewhere pls hit me and tell me where to put my rants senpai)

I just finished Devilman Crybaby, was this supposed to be good and I just don't get it? It's a decent adaptation that much is for sure, the animation is pretty good (albeit subpar imo for something with Masaaki Yusa's name on it), I get that's a call back to a classic work for a new generation, I understand it's importance as an influence on the medium of manga/anime, and the implications it could have for ONAs in the future is promising. But why is everyone raving about it?

Masaaki Yuasa's talent was squandered imo and the source material is dated. Viewing it through the lens of history of course it's good, but today due to it's influence a million other anime have tried similar things and pulled it off better. The sound design wasn't stand out which is sad considering Eriko Kimura of Kaiba fame directed the audio. Mood-breaking engrish voice acting. The plot isn't paced well and the character deaths are portrayed and discussed about as if they are supposed to have emotional impact, but for me and others I've shown this to this is not the case. It's not the runtime's fault either because newer anime have been able to establish emotional connections with the characters in less time. Not to mention the whole catch of Devilman was the gore which they watered down despite it not having to conform to Japanese broadcasting content restrictions.

Overall, I sort of enjoyed watching it the issues e><pressed here were glaring me in the face the whole time, it wasn't really painful though. So, did I watch something different? Or am I a pleb? Please let me know sempai-sama~
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 16, 2018 10:04 AM

Jun 2014
I don't get the praise for it either, it didn't connect with me at all. Utterly illogical decisions for the most part and the "grand" plot, especially the rubbish that was the ending was just too much. I read the reddit episode discussions about it beforehand to get a sense of what I was going into and it appears that I got the exact opposite experience.
Apr 18, 2018 1:04 AM

Jul 2014
Estheliel said:
I don't get the praise for it either, it didn't connect with me at all. Utterly illogical decisions for the most part and the "grand" plot, especially the rubbish that was the ending was just too much. I read the reddit episode discussions about it beforehand to get a sense of what I was going into and it appears that I got the exact opposite experience.

I think I found the point where things went wrong.

On topic, I found the ending kind of made the rest of the show redundant. A lot of things leading up to that point were kind of entertaining. It was definitely worth my time, just not this life changing experience people were banging on about.
Apr 24, 2018 5:04 PM

Nov 2011
It's important to realize that it's a shortened adaptation of a manga from the 1970's and is a commentary on war and the draft and all that. It is also EXTREMELY influential, having been the groundwork for Berserk and my favorite manga, also on our enlightenment manga list (at least I think it still is), X/1999.

The new anime was made as an anniversary celebration of Go Nagai's works, much like Sailor Moon Crystal or (insert an anime remake that was way better received than SMC).

The reason it may not seem original to you is simply because the novel ideas that Devilman introduced have become so ingrained in anime culture, with works like Berserk, Witchblade, X, etc etc. But it IS the original, Muria has admitted he was very heavily inspired by Devilman in creating Berserk. Guts IS Devilman and Griffith IS Lucifer.

It's one of those series where the background behind it helps to increase it's value. 8)
Apr 29, 2018 8:47 AM

Mar 2009
Animeweedboner.
May 4, 2018 4:24 AM

Jun 2014
I suppose that's fine, it was influential to other works, but I still don't get why it was so great and what exactly was great about it. If all it has is past influence then that's not much to carry around.

I mean influential movies like Rocky/Rambo/Alien are big names and obviously others have learned from them and appreciate them, however I would find it really strange if it was remastered this year and people praised it being incredible and giving it a straight 10. Movie critics would have a field day with it.
Oct 2, 2018 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think it's the best thing ever. It has a memorable soundtrack, a good story, and good art. It's nothing above an 8/10 for me.
Oct 2, 2018 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
Tozzy said:

On topic, I found the ending kind of made the rest of the show redundant. A lot of things leading up to that point were kind of entertaining. It was definitely worth my time, just not this life changing experience people were banging on about.

Oh shit Tozzy! I haven't seen you in ages. How's it bee--

>Posted Apr 18, 4:04 PM

Ah shit.

On the note of the ending, I actually found that to be the main thing that made me like the show. I was amazed at the balls it took to end the show/manga like that. Not enough to make me LOVE the work, but enough to garner my respect. The somber atmosphere along with the campy nature of the situation. It allowed it to be very absurd without being overly edgy.
Oct 2, 2018 2:38 PM

Oct 2010
It was quite great but the amount of instant praise and canonization it got, with all this "AOTY" spammage in fucking early January, reeks of desperation to me. I can't get out of my mind the idea that it ended up like this because the anime was supposed to be amazing, because it's Yuasa and because it adapts a classic from a respected author. Plus the whole Netflix involvement and mainstream reach.

What I like about it the most is when it's allowed to be full Yuasa, and that's at its most visceral, crude and surreal. Not when characters pause and reflect on their drama, not when they experience growth, but when they explode in some way or the other, like in the party at the beginning or the bombastic conclusion. This is where you can see a fully expressive Yuasa, and as much as he may be interested on the original story, it left me with the feeling that Go Nagai didn't really mesh with his style too well, and at times I just didn't understand the value of Yuasa adapting this story, since it didn't seem like his thing. The middle third in particular suffers from a severe lack of character focus to make the drama resonate. The supposed sad scenes just happen and they don't have emotional weight.
Oct 7, 2018 1:41 AM

May 2018
Reason: It's overrated
Oct 13, 2018 2:04 PM

Jul 2008
Amberleh said:
It's important to realize that it's a shortened adaptation of a manga from the 1970's and is a commentary on war and the draft and all that. It is also EXTREMELY influential, having been the groundwork for Berserk and my favorite manga, also on our enlightenment manga list (at least I think it still is), X/1999.

It's not really all that shortened, though. I'm only halfway through the manga at the moment, but it's just 5 volumes and all that has been removed so far are the random time travel chapters. The rest was expanded.

This is not really my type of show, but I'm happy it was somewhat successful. Yuasa deserves a break once in a while with all the financial busts and it allowed for Seven Seas to publish Go Nagai (related) works in English for the first time ever. I'm happy I'll be able to have 3 Devilman works, 2 Cutie Honey works and even a new Getter Robo release by the guys who did the new Ultraman manga (which I'm enjoying) in my bookcase thanks to Crybaby.

Oct 14, 2018 1:03 AM

Jul 2014
Ducat_Revel said:
Tozzy said:

Oh shit Tozzy! I haven't seen you in ages. How's it bee--

>Posted Apr 18, 4:04 PM

Ah shit.

On the note of the ending, I actually found that to be the main thing that made me like the show. I was amazed at the balls it took to end the show/manga like that. Not enough to make me LOVE the work, but enough to garner my respect. The somber atmosphere along with the campy nature of the situation. It allowed it to be very absurd without being overly edgy.

Just logged in for the first time in a while.

Life and everything it entails getting in the way!
Oct 14, 2018 1:30 AM

Oct 2012
Tozzy said:
Just logged in for the first time in a while.

Life and everything it entails getting in the way!

Tell me about it. I'm trying to finish Takarajima and Macross but I don't have any time...
Oct 25, 2018 1:06 PM

Aug 2010
i thought the original devil man was overrated.
Its classic edge. If you like edge, you'll like devilman.
Personally all I really liked was the old astro boy kind of art style the original used. Crybaby doesnt appeal to me at all with its quick sketchy like style in a story i already found underwhelming.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Mar 23, 2019 11:32 PM

May 2018
Shitty overrated anime that won best series in Crunchyroll LMAO
Mar 25, 2019 3:22 AM

May 2018
BYEBYE!!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.