Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2018 8:59 AM

Jun 2015
This was quite the heartbreaking episode, especially the ending with Shirase. So many unread emails...
Mar 20, 2018 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
I am not crying

Mar 20, 2018 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
The most heart-wrenching episode yet...with the final closure that Shirase's mom, Takako, didn't make out of Antarctica alive after all that while...and crying buckets...

Aside from the inner expedition into Antarctica with the crew, the main thing about Shirase walking in her mum's footsteps is a "one step forward, two steps back" scenario, with the 1 million yen that she earned with her hard toil of work the past 3 years ever since her mum's disappearance and that heavy burden heart with Gin fulfilling what Takako couldn't.

Guess it was needed that the other girls helped console Shirase with words that may hurt or insult, but the truth has to be let out of the bag in order to move on.

Quote of the episode:
"At the end of the day, those ideas we latch on to aren't enough to motivate us. But when we run around on the injustices of reality, they're the only thing that can break through, make the impossible possible, and allow us to move on."

The final episode next week...how would things end off with a solemn note at the ending this week? Hopefully we too get a good closure to this anime.

Another 5/5 in the books and already AOTS status.
Mar 20, 2018 9:01 AM

Feb 2018
Jaeger07 said:
AbeldeMedici said:

Thanks! Some comical relief in this genki-dama of feels.

Also could be taken literally, since why not when you can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zty50I6iRD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4dZKCNfMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtJjvXTDsic

I didn't know that expression, it doesn't exist in my mothertongue. That's why I was like "wtf is she doing?"
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 20, 2018 9:07 AM

Nov 2012

>peeling onions
Now THIS is FORCED DRAMA. Take notes, VEG.

And just for that subtle metaphor with layers I give it a rating of 11/01

KANLen09 said:

Guess it was needed that the other girls helped console Shirase with words that may hurt or insult, but the truth has to be let out of the bag in order to move on.

Next episode gonna be full of words of encouragement.
SeaJaegerMar 20, 2018 9:20 AM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 20, 2018 9:25 AM

Jun 2016
Oh My God

This show is already in my top 5 favorite anime of all time. It's just so beautiful.
Mar 20, 2018 9:28 AM

Apr 2016
Speechless.
I fucking cried my eyes out. Damn!
5/5
Mar 20, 2018 9:29 AM
Jul 2009
Jaeger07 said:
CheezWhizLuis said:

Woah, Takako forgot something back at the base? What episode was that said?

Darn, I missed that detail that could've made the last scene more impactful...

14:46 This episode

yea, when I was watching it I just thought her mom was just going back for some random item... until reading here that it's most likely the laptop w/photo.... linking the two together, I went like "shxx..... double the trauma!"
Mar 20, 2018 9:32 AM

Nov 2012
HOLY SHIT I ONLY NOTICED JUST NOW, THERE'S STILL 1 MAIL IN THE OUTBOX!!

OH NO OH NO OH NO I DON'T WANT TO READ THAT IN THE LAST EPISODE OR I'LL BAWL MY EYES OUT NOOOOOOO!

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 20, 2018 9:38 AM

Feb 2018
Just rewatched the episode and felt it even more. Now there's one part that's just wonderful and above everything else in the show: Kimari thanking Shirase for bringing her there so she could enjoy her youth, taking us back to the beginning of the story... and Shirase's speech to her mum with the images of the girls playing and singing at sunset...
I just wanted to mention it, now I'll go rewatch that scene for like the 10th time and continue to cry.
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 20, 2018 9:45 AM

Jun 2016
Nope, not crying. Nope, nope, n-
eff it.

Mar 20, 2018 9:47 AM

Nov 2012
AbeldeMedici said:
Just rewatched the episode and felt it even more. Now there's one part that's just wonderful and above everything else in the show: Kimari thanking Shirase for bringing her there so she could enjoy her youth, taking us back to the beginning of the story... and Shirase's speech to her mum with the images of the girls playing and singing at sunset...
I just wanted to mention it, now I'll go rewatch that scene for like the 10th time and continue to cry.

And that will more or less conclude Kimari's thread in this already flawless knot that is called Yorimoi. The staff really deserves a standing ovation, and it looks like the locals already did theirs.

Mar 20, 2018 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
I felt like crying.

Best episode. But at least Shirase has her friends now.

Mar 20, 2018 9:57 AM
Oct 2014
Goddamn!! TEARS!!! manly tears!

I think Takako left something which is her laptop, so she tried to go back. But, she either couldn't see the station because of the blizzard or she got caught from the blizzard.
The laptop is laying at the floor inside a sort of storage room, why is that?
Mar 20, 2018 9:58 AM

Feb 2018
Jaeger07 said:

OH NO OH NO OH NO I DON'T WANT TO READ THAT IN THE LAST EPISODE OR I'LL BAWL MY EYES OUT NOOOOOOO!

Oh, crap on the Nile, more feels incoming.
But you want to read it, you know it, or we'll never find peace.
Mar 20, 2018 10:03 AM
Oct 2014
Jaeger07 said:

I just rewatched it and I noticed there was an outbox. Ugghhh. the feels isn't over. So she did went to the station.
Mar 20, 2018 10:27 AM

Apr 2015
AbeldeMedici said:
Jaeger07 said:

Oh, crap on the Nile, more feels incoming.
But you want to read it, you know it, or we'll never find peace.

Do you know that moment before she dies while communicating with Gin (the tall black hair lady) and Shirase's mom said 'So beautiful', can she be referring to the email in the draft? Or a picture of Shirase? I do not know.
Mar 20, 2018 10:38 AM

Nov 2012
Man I rewatched the first half and damn gotta love how complex the drama is; I love how it's not as straightforward as blatant sentimentality. It's so perfectly in line with the theme of the show that Shirase starts accepting that there's no big revelation waiting for her, that she getting closure isn't as simple as trying hard enough, and then her friends say no, screw the cynical mature perspective, there has to be something. And then they find something small and simple and real. So sublime.

Mohammadalmannai said:

Do you know that moment before she dies while communicating with Gin (the tall black hair lady) and Shirase's mom said 'So beautiful', can she be referring to the email in the draft? Or a picture of Shirase? I do not know.

Ofc she's talking about Antarctica before her last moments (and probably seeing the aurora australis at the same time).

Mar 20, 2018 10:58 AM

May 2016
The ending man. It killed me. My god.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Mar 20, 2018 10:58 AM

Jun 2016
"Haa.......... ha-uh......... uf......... huf............. huh-haah!......... hurgh......... ukaa-san! ....UKAAA-SAAANN!!!"
Mar 20, 2018 11:05 AM

Apr 2010
A nice ending tho i doubt a computer would run after years in extreme cold.
But for the story it was nice Shirase breaking down for a moment.

It was a good episode.
Mar 20, 2018 11:09 AM

Jul 2017
They need a hug. Oh my it's going to be real sad when next episode is the last one.

Please what happened to the usual upbeat ed this weak? I was not prepared for feels

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Mar 20, 2018 11:15 AM

Jan 2012
We're nearing the end now and all that's really left is the Shirase's momma drama. What has become my least favorite aspect of the series. Well I guess tackling it was unavoidable. All the unread mail, and the neverending tears. Sad. Alright, one more to go.
Mar 20, 2018 11:15 AM

Oct 2013
What an episode...
I tried no to cry...but I cried.

Every day for the past 3 years, Shirase wrote a mail to her mother.
-----

I think the reason Takako went missing is because she tried to retrieve her laptop at the outpost.
Mar 20, 2018 11:34 AM

Jun 2016
Zahylon said:

I think the reason Takako went missing is because she tried to retrieve her laptop at the outpost.

Which is exactly why this is so sad

Mar 20, 2018 11:41 AM

Nov 2012
akiraaisha said:
Jaeger07 said:

I just rewatched it and I noticed there was an outbox. Ugghhh. the feels isn't over. So she did went to the station.

Yes, but she already wrote this probably on the way to the observatory site or during their stay there. I'd reckon they were about to go back to the base when that blizzard struck them, and it was at this moment...that Takako f*cked up.

Mar 20, 2018 11:44 AM

May 2015
Wow, the mail scene. So simple, yet speaks volumes.
Mar 20, 2018 11:47 AM

Jul 2017
omfg that ending legit brought to ficking tears.
Mar 20, 2018 11:55 AM

Jul 2017
One of the best episodes I've ever seen in my entire life.

It's been forever since I cried but alas, that golden streak ended after this episode.

Seeing Shirase and that laptop with all those mails broke me :( . I'm guessing we will see what her mom meant to send to her in that outbox.

Only 1 more episode left in this journey... I'm really gonna be depressed after this beautiful adventure ends.
Mar 20, 2018 12:04 PM
Oct 2011
I was not ready for this episode. My heart was NOT ready for this episode. Left me in a sobbing mess ;~;
Mar 20, 2018 12:06 PM

Sep 2013
The whole dead mom situation still feels like a dream to shirase but she finally lets her emotion out in the end :'(
They came for themselves and that's the conviction you need most of all.
Mar 20, 2018 12:08 PM

Oct 2010
This show is amazing at tackling and eventually expressing latent emotions. I can't get over how well-structured the emotional discourse of this series is and this episode was if not the best, one of its top tier examples.

I know the kind of feeling Shirase was going through during this episode. After various years of anguish and rage she gets to the Antarctica and her emotions are completely drained to the point she can't even care. It sucks. It's so frustrating to feel like that and not even be able to bring yourself to a moment of catharsis. So glad she could at the end, painful as it was. It was for the better.

This episode is so touching, so gracefully written, so excellently acted (all hail Hana Kanazawa) and staged that it's even hard to believe. I also appreciate Yumiko for putting into words what makes the friendship in this series so special: the sense of respect for intimacy and personal space the four girls have for each other. Their mutual help is never invasive or unwarranted and they are left enough time alone to deal with their own emotions. It's so refreshing to watch something like this and a series that understands this as a key element of friendship.
Mar 20, 2018 12:11 PM

Feb 2013
I never cry at the "this is where you cry" moments and this episode was no exception, but I liked it.

Gotta say, I was more engaged with the series before they reached Antarctica. Will rewatch the whole series this week to prepare for the last one, so I hope that will be more rewarding. This is a series that seems to reward second watch with little details you havent noticed the first time.
Mar 20, 2018 12:17 PM

Jun 2016
I'M SO SAD! This series is one of the most underrated of the season.

Mar 20, 2018 12:19 PM

Dec 2017
Didn't cry but the end sums up why this series is so good.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 20, 2018 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
I cried. I absolutely cried. This is powerful stuff and I'm glad to see Shirase and her mom finally getting this episode. Next week is the end, isn't it? I'll probably bawl. This show is beautiful and human and I absolutely love it.
Mar 20, 2018 12:27 PM

Oct 2009
I don't even feel like writing.....I'm just crying.....
Mar 20, 2018 12:29 PM

Nov 2012
AbeldeMedici said:

True, this is one of those very rare shows that reward you with the smallest details on your next rewatch.

Mar 20, 2018 12:37 PM

Nov 2012
This show had no business being this good. One of the best of the season for sure.
Mar 20, 2018 12:38 PM

Nov 2017
I finally understand what it meant for shirase to be looking for her mother. Alongside the obvious of needing to break that barrier in her head and fully accept that her moms really gone.
She needs to go to Antarctica to find understand. I be able to understand who her mom really was, and subsequently who she really is after this.

This series might've broken me. I'm honestly a little distraught after this episode. I haven't teared up/cried so many times in a single episode , let alone a whole series, let alone like ever in my TV viewing history.

I.... Need some time...
Mar 20, 2018 12:49 PM

Nov 2017
Jaeger07 said:

>peeling onions
Now THIS is FORCED DRAMA. Take notes, VEG.

And just for that subtle metaphor with layers I give it a rating of 11/01

You won't get me with that subtle "rating"
You goddamn onion ninja
Mar 20, 2018 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
I knew that the feels train would come eventually as I mentioned this a few times earlier in the series, but when it hit, it hit me really hard. ='(

They might be slow as hell, but the Snowcats were still pretty impressive. They're like gentle giants who help you move along tough terrain safely and keeps you secure during the day and night. Plus, the girls were able to see the beautiful sun pillar as well. That was a perfect screencap moment for me. =)

But the feels eventually made its arrival. After arriving at the inland base, the girls were able to find Takako's specially-built laptop stored inside the base. Shirase was able to access her mother's file by using her birthday, November 1st, as the password. When she opened the e-mail, that's when the music went into feels mode and the tears started to form. It got more and more emotional the more e-mails that were received from Shirase over the years arriving all at once, plus one response in the outbox that was never sent, and like with Violet Evergarden's episode 10, I was pretty much crying with the girls. T_T

Now it makes me sad that there's only one episode left, but thanks to this excellent episode, this show is close to being my AOTS. Violet Evergarden and Yuru Camp are my other contenders, but this show is really something special. =D
Mar 20, 2018 1:08 PM

Feb 2018
Meta_Yoshi said:
Now it makes me sad that there's only one episode left, but thanks to this excellent episode, this show is close to being my AOTS. Violet Evergarden and Yuru Camp are my other contenders, but this show is really something special. =D
One question: I dropped Violet Evergarden at episode 2 because I felt honestly bored (not to offend) and didn't get where was it heading to, specially the protagonist felt quite shallow to me. Does it get more interesting further on, so I consider giving it a second chance? (I know I have little patience, but I've got tens of pending series and drop the ones that don't catch my attention early on)
Mar 20, 2018 1:26 PM
Nov 2016
Okay in this episod I'll admit I'm crying... TAT
Mar 20, 2018 1:34 PM

Sep 2013
In this episode we learned that Shirase is a spam bot.
Mar 20, 2018 1:39 PM

Nov 2012
To round up Hinata's waxing poetic:

"If you can still turn back, it's not really a journey. When you hit the point of no return, that's the moment it becomes a journey."
"It's a thin line between self-assertion and selfishness."
"Never think the stars you see are all the stars there are."
"Sometimes, people are just mean. Don't fight mean with mean. Hold your head high."
“Keeping busy is the best way to speed the clock’s hands!”
“To act is not necessarily compassion. True compassion sometimes come from inaction!”

Also Hinata:

Bonus points for the whole cast ridiculing her meaningful yet random quotes. Truly pottery.

Also,

Is this the Secret Society BLANKET Antarctic Chapter? Looks like their influence is spreading fast.
SeaJaegerMar 24, 2018 10:44 PM

Mar 20, 2018 1:41 PM

Jul 2017
AbeldeMedici said:
Meta_Yoshi said:
One question: I dropped Violet Evergarden at episode 2 because I felt honestly bored (not to offend) and didn't get where was it heading to, specially the protagonist felt quite shallow to me. Does it get more interesting further on, so I consider giving it a second chance? (I know I have little patience, but I've got tens of pending series and drop the ones that don't catch my attention early on)

The first 5 episodes are OK, possibly due to being (mostly) anime original stuff and 6 is good (the first full adaptation episode), but 7-10 have been very good to excellent with 8 & 9 finally showing some much needed back story and then tying everything up from before nicely and 10 showing just how far Violet has come since those initial episodes.
Mar 20, 2018 1:47 PM

Jan 2016
Wow. This show is just amazing. It's gonna be very sad to part away with this show and the characters :(
Mar 20, 2018 1:52 PM

Nov 2007
Such a beautiful episode. This was so beautiful. I was expecting to see something like this from the very first episode and it sure delivered. When the messages started to appear one after another I could hardly contain myself. I was crying endless tears at the end of the episode. So, so damn sad and beautiful at the same time.

Meta_Yoshi said:

I think this is the first time anikore got the best three anime of the season right. All three anime have been so damn good. I bawled at the end of episode 10 for Violet Evergarden. This one was very close to get me on the same situation and I did ended up crying. Amazingly both episodes had the same connotation in so many levels.

@AbeldeMedici:

Every episode since episode 5 has been either very good or excellent. Episode 10 is probably the episode of the season.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 20, 2018 1:52 PM

Feb 2018
D1tchd1gger said:
AbeldeMedici said:

The first 5 episodes are OK, possibly due to being (mostly) anime original stuff and 6 is good (the first full adaptation episode), but 7-10 have been very good to excellent with 8 & 9 finally showing some much needed back story and then tying everything up from before nicely and 10 showing just how far Violet has come since those initial episodes.

shanimebib said:
@AbeldeMedici:

Every episode since episode 5 has been either very good or excellent. Episode 10 is probably the episode of the season.

Thanks, guess I'll give it a second chance when I can.
Jaeger07 said:
To round up Hinata's waxing poetic:

"If you can still turn back, it's not really a journey. When you hit the point of no return, that's the moment it becomes a journey."
"It's a thin line between self-assertion and selfishness."
"Never think the stars you see are all the stars there are."
"Sometimes, people are just mean. Don't fight mean with mean. Hold your head high."
“Keeping busy is the best way to speed the clock’s hands!”
“To act is not necessarily compassion. True compassion sometimes come from inaction!”

Truly pottery.

Also,

Is this the Secret Society BLANKET Antarctic Chapter? Looks like their influence is spreading fast.

Hinata will be studied in the future as one of the great philosophers of history. Don't mind if she's not real, nor is Sherlock Holmes and he's still the best detective of all time.
LOL for the BLANKET society, I didn't make the connection, my mind was too busy trying to process all the feels it was being given. I'd go as far as saying these are the counterparts of Yuru Camp girls in another dimension in a CLAMP-like multiverse.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM

» Am i the only one who dropped this after 4 episodes?

Damazien - Jul 28, 2020

20 by MathMols »»
Feb 3, 1:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.