Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 15, 2018 3:00 PM

May 2016
These last two episodes were so beautiful I can't choose one between them. T_T
Those Letters remind me of another sad show that the letter arrived after the loved one's death T-T
Mar 15, 2018 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
This is one of my favorite episodes.

Even if it was kind of predictable, I still got surprised when it was revealed that Anne's mother was writing letters for her own daughter for 50 years. I gotta admit, I cried in that scene.

Also, Violet crying in the end was so sweet.
Mar 15, 2018 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
I´ve seen too many fictional moms die before so cant say this got me. The kid was great, though. Spot on writing on her. She reminded me of Anne of Green Gables a little.

This episode made me realize that I like everything about this show except Violet. Setting is interesting, characters have potential, animation is great... loli super-soldier who is suddenly superstar writer just clashes with it. I would prefer if Violet was replaced by Luculia. Now that would be interesting.

But thats just my opinion. Episode 6 still continues being personal highlight of the series.
Oh_Rusty_NailMar 15, 2018 3:20 PM
Mar 15, 2018 3:19 PM

Aug 2015
Ok after 10 Episodes I can finally say that I am tired of this show. I swear I wanted to give it chances, I didn't wanted to sound like a hater.
It's not even that I dislike the genre.
Cause I have high scores for Slow moving shows like Aria or Barakamon(which actually made me cry a bit) and I have even a high score for a show that involves a robot girl and drama in Planetarian. So I should like this show. Instead it bores me so much that I even check my phone every 5 minutes which I normally won't do.
And I don't even know why.
Maybe it is because it breaks my immersion every 5 minutes through some kind of plot convenience or plot holes.
Maybe it is the fact that Violet is a 14 year old super soldier.
Maybe through the earlier episodes I grew so numb that I even started to be picky about the voice acting of a child character or the overblown soundtrack.
Maybe it is because that everything is so bloody predictable. Especially with Ep 10 it was yep Mommy dead, writes letters for daughter and Violets gonna cry at the end.
or maybe and that is my biggest maybe it's for the fact that Violet just does not feel like a "genuine" show.
It feels like a show were some board of directors sat together. Picked a folder with "all the dramas that worked in other stories" written on it. Looked through it and picked 10-11 at random, without any regard for the stories that they came from. Cause I swear that each of those short stories that Violet presents I have seen somewhere before. Not only that, but better. Cause they had context within the story. They were not just randomly thrown together. And even if the charcters in those were only their for one episode they still felt a lot better. For example the postmen Episode in the 2nd Season of Aria did more for me then the entire runtime of Violet so far.
It feels like it tries so hard to be an epic drama that it forgets to tell a compelling story.
Mar 15, 2018 3:40 PM

Aug 2014
200 iq prediction had me knowing what would happen the moment i saw the sick mother.

Mar 15, 2018 3:52 PM
Jun 2017
There s no word. Only emotions. I cried, just cried. This anime deserves to be the best in the season. I give it 10/10. Im glad I found this anime and haven't drop.
Mar 15, 2018 4:00 PM
Nov 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Beautiful episode and easily my favorite so far.

I kept thinking that the letters were for someone who was gonna take in Anne after her Mom died but once I realized that the letters were for Anne herself I got really emotional. On one hand, the fact that she received letters from her Mom encouraging her to live strong put a smile on my face but on the other hand the whole thing was just a tragic thing that no child should've had to go through. :(

The whole final montage with Anne receiving her letters years after her Mother passed away was incredibly touching and I couldn't help but tear up at the end when Violet started crying. :(
I'm sure Anne's mother is proud that she grew up to be a proud and strong woman.

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought the letters were for someone who would take care of Anne after her mother passed away. That's why when she got her first letter I lost it. I don't know if it is because my father passed away when I was little or because it almost brings me to tears to think of my mother dying, but to see Anne's mom do something so special for her, so she could make her death more bearable for her daughter... that really brought me to tears.

When Violet began crying I was like, "I fucking know what you mean. If I had known the letters were for Anne from the beginning, I would have felt like crying the whole episode."

I get that Anne was an annoying brat most of the time, but I just find it really weird that there is people who got so annoyed by it, they felt nothing in this episode.
Mar 15, 2018 4:12 PM

Jul 2016
First the episode of the man and his dead daughter and now this one, it's very beautiful how they put episodes like this in a really good way where it's not too often nor is it extremely rare.
Also I like how the character development was fast but also felt so natural at the same time.
BTW I like how she smiled and cried at the same episode which is more than she ever did in any other episode (as far as I remember at least please correct if I'm wrong) needless to say this episode made me cry.
Mar 15, 2018 4:17 PM
Mar 2015
Best episode as for now. It really hurt me inside watching it through trying to stop tears, damn. It was just perfect in every way - story, new characters, art. outofscale/10
Mar 15, 2018 4:35 PM

Sep 2015
So letter of the week are for her.

Good thing Violet are good enough to handle a little kid now.
Into the Internet!
Mar 15, 2018 4:40 PM

Dec 2013
Easily the best episode to date! I actually teared up... which was quite a while ago.

Mar 15, 2018 5:21 PM

Sep 2016
Amazing episode, awfully realistic kid, why do people hate kids?

I teared up.

5/5
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 15, 2018 5:29 PM

May 2015
Chapter 2 beautifully adapted. One of my favorite chapters as well. Anime hit the feels really good just like the chapter did.

KyoAni has undoubtedly been on a roll these past few episodes in my opinion.

Mar 15, 2018 5:33 PM

Mar 2015
Very beautiful. Another episode finely crafted and expertly executed.
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 15, 2018 5:34 PM

Aug 2012
LOL, cannot believe they fucked this arch up so much compared to the novel, KyoAni went full rtrd by not letting Hyouka director Takemoto, Yasuhiro direct the series as he wanted and then they had the FFF courage to remove the scene were Violet cleans her gun because it offends Americans that a woman can clean guns, thanks Netflix and thanks to all the people who went behind scenes to uncover why Violet Evergarden has turned into most likely the biggest disaster that has struck KyoAni since Clannad.

Japan community is up in fire over this nonsense crap, I suppose its not a big issue for those who never read the novels, good for ya. As for the rest of us I guess we just have to cut ourselves in despair for what could have been KyoAni's greatest series yet directed by none other than God director Takemoto, Yasuhiro.
That man makes my testicles tickle
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Mar 15, 2018 5:35 PM

Aug 2015
what an amazing episode, really hope they can keep this up for the last few episodes
Mar 15, 2018 5:46 PM

Sep 2017
When an anime episode can make a grown ass man tear up it's a goddamn good episode! Amazing!
Mar 15, 2018 5:55 PM

Sep 2017
Oh man I did not see that ending coming with the letters being for the daughter. That was super sweet. Really touching episode; liked it a lot.
Mar 15, 2018 6:00 PM

Aug 2012
stupid ninja cutting onions

amazing
sad
beautiful

in time like this i think about my parents and the passing of time
when my dog was put to sleep i cry for nearly week...
Mar 15, 2018 6:11 PM

Apr 2013
I'm not crying, you're crying. (and so did Violet. TT^TT )
Mar 15, 2018 6:42 PM

Nov 2012
I saw the how it was going to end in the first 5 minutes. Still couldn't help but cry in the end though.
Mar 15, 2018 6:43 PM

Aug 2008
I'm still tearing up....and I've finished watching the episode 10 minutes ago T_T

10/5
Mar 15, 2018 6:57 PM
Dec 2013
BlueSkylark said:
Ok after 10 Episodes I can finally say that I am tired of this show. I swear I wanted to give it chances, I didn't wanted to sound like a hater.
Cause I have high scores for Slow moving shows like Aria or Barakamon(which actually made me cry a bit) and I have even a high score for a show that involves a robot girl and drama in Planetarian. So I should like this show. Instead it bores me so much that I even check my phone every 5 minutes which I normally won't do.
Maybe it is because it breaks my immersion every 5 minutes through some kind of plot convenience or plot holes.
Maybe through the earlier episodes I grew so numb that I even started to be picky about the voice acting of a child character or the overblown soundtrack.
Maybe it is because that everything is so bloody predictable. Especially with Ep 10 it was yep Mommy dead, writes letters for daughter and Violets gonna cry at the end.
or maybe and that is my biggest maybe it's for the fact that Violet just does not feel like a "genuine" show.
It feels like a show were some board of directors sat together. Picked a folder with "all the dramas that worked in other stories" written on it. Looked through it and picked 10-11 at random, without any regard for the stories that they came from. Cause I swear that each of those short stories that Violet presents I have seen somewhere before. Not only that, but better. Cause they had context within the story. They were not just randomly thrown together. And even if the charcters in those were only their for one episode they still felt a lot better. For example the postmen Episode in the 2nd Season of Aria did more for me then the entire runtime of Violet so far.
It feels like it tries so hard to be an epic drama that it forgets to tell a compelling story.

Nothing has to be unique nor unpredictable to be good though. You've stuck for 10 episodes and by now you should know what this show is about.

The themes in this episode were something that people who have experienced loss can relate to. If you say that this is a normal thing and nothing special that you are so disensitized about it then I'm sorry to hear that.
Mar 15, 2018 7:00 PM

Jun 2017
I saw where this episode was going almost from the beginning. Still cried a few times at the end.
Mar 15, 2018 7:57 PM
May 2015
never in my life have i been more disgusted by an episode of anime.

you could predict the entire episode, and no I don't mean the general direction, I mean quite literally the exact progression and outcome, from within the two minute mark.

incredibly manipulative. anyone could write a random, episodic, and overwhelmingly simple, sad story about a young girl watching her mother die of illness, but it takes an abhorrent lack of ambition and creativity to actually pull the trigger and execute it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2018 8:02 PM
Sep 2017
man this episode was great i not someone who doesn't cry easy but this episode got me
Mar 15, 2018 8:33 PM
Jul 2018

The feels train has no brakes...
Mar 15, 2018 8:35 PM
Dec 2013
KingKatsura said:
never in my life have i been more disgusted by an episode of anime.

you could predict the entire episode, and no I don't mean the general direction, I mean quite literally the exact progression and outcome, from within the two minute mark.

incredibly manipulative. anyone could write a random, episodic, and overwhelmingly simple, sad story about a young girl watching her mother die of illness, but it takes an abhorrent lack of ambition and creativity to actually pull the trigger and execute it.

I fail to understand when you're complaining about drama being manipulative. Drama itself is full of manipulative motifs to amplify people's empathy towards the character and the situation.

Just because they used a kid and dying mother doesn't mean it's unimaginative. The unimaginative part is failing to tell the story in a meaningful way to which it seems to not be the case, judging by the reaction of the viewers.

Draigg said:
Lelouch0202 said:
Beautiful episode and easily my favorite so far.

I kept thinking that the letters were for someone who was gonna take in Anne after her Mom died but once I realized that the letters were for Anne herself I got really emotional. On one hand, the fact that she received letters from her Mom encouraging her to live strong put a smile on my face but on the other hand the whole thing was just a tragic thing that no child should've had to go through. :(

The whole final montage with Anne receiving her letters years after her Mother passed away was incredibly touching and I couldn't help but tear up at the end when Violet started crying. :(
I'm sure Anne's mother is proud that she grew up to be a proud and strong woman.

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought the letters were for someone who would take care of Anne after her mother passed away. That's why when she got her first letter I lost it. I don't know if it is because my father passed away when I was little or because it almost brings me to tears to think of my mother dying, but to see Anne's mom do something so special for her, so she could make her death more bearable for her daughter... that really brought me to tears.

When Violet began crying I was like, "I fucking know what you mean. If I had known the letters were for Anne from the beginning, I would have felt like crying the whole episode."

I get that Anne was an annoying brat most of the time, but I just find it really weird that there is people who got so annoyed by it, they felt nothing in this episode.

The anime wasn't clear about this but they just gave you vague hints about it. The first visitor that we see was someone offering to take care of Anne. However in reality that wasn't their pure intention as they are much more concerned about the mansion. In the anime, Anne only states that she doesn't like visitors since she felt that her mom was spending too much time with them however in reality people were approaching her mom because of her property.
aiemMar 15, 2018 8:53 PM
Mar 15, 2018 8:45 PM

Jun 2014
I literally burst into tears watching this. You knew what was coming, but when it showed the future where she started reading the letters, I couldn't hold my tears back.

This Anime makes me so emotional.

Mar 15, 2018 8:46 PM

Nov 2013
i cried... T.T

this was the first time i paused an anime and cried...
Mar 15, 2018 8:48 PM
Jun 2017
Best episode of the series, until now VE was a "meh, has good ideas" but this episode was like an upercut without defense, emotive, devastating.
Mar 15, 2018 9:03 PM

Nov 2011
Like I was honestly annoyed with Anne in this episode, but everything that unfolded throughout the episode made me love this anime more and more. Anne knows her mother is about to die, and all of the emotions come out. Damn dude crazy!

Meanwhile the letters were obviously going to be to Anne, BUT OVER FIFTY YEARS!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!

Add in the fact that Violet was holding back the feels the entire time...great great GREAT character development. Sheer Brilliance. I know it's still early but this is a strong contender for AOTY
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 15, 2018 9:09 PM

Nov 2017
dor1806 said:
Where can I watch this episode? Please someone tell me i'm dying to see it :(
kissanime/netflix
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Mar 15, 2018 9:22 PM

Apr 2017
How many times does this anime plan to make me cry.
cunnysseur
Mar 15, 2018 10:37 PM

Jul 2017
Is it only me that kinda didn't like the little girl? Like she acted so spoiled it kinda got on my nerves a bit.

But that ending tho. OH GOD THAT ENDING WAS SO GOOD!

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Mar 15, 2018 10:48 PM

Dec 2016
why someone always has to be dying
Mar 15, 2018 11:09 PM

Nov 2007
Rudan said:
why someone always has to be dying

No one died in Charlotte, Erica or Iris's stories. And we don't know if Leon's parents died as well. So, saying why someone always has to be dying is not true. Unless you meant it as a general observation regarding the stories those had the most impact on the viewers (i.e. Episodes 3, 7-10).
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 15, 2018 11:34 PM
Oct 2017
an anime hasn't made me cry in ages, but the end of this episode did
Mar 15, 2018 11:38 PM
Dec 2017
Every episode since EP7 has been great. This one was one of my favourites so far. I can't wait to see next week's episode.
Mar 16, 2018 12:35 AM

Apr 2017
Not ashamed to say that I cried with Violet a bit. Also guys and gals do you not remember being 7? Sorry but I have strong doubts you kept your composure at all times and we're never selfish.

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Mar 16, 2018 1:19 AM

Jul 2009
Oh man....this episode was so beautiful and heartbreaking. The time-skip was just...ugh. ;~;
Mar 16, 2018 2:00 AM

Feb 2013
SMGJohn said:
LOL, cannot believe they fucked this arch up so much compared to the novel, KyoAni went full rtrd by not letting Hyouka director Takemoto, Yasuhiro direct the series as he wanted and then they had the FFF courage to remove the scene were Violet cleans her gun because it offends Americans that a woman can clean guns, thanks Netflix and thanks to all the people who went behind scenes to uncover why Violet Evergarden has turned into most likely the biggest disaster that has struck KyoAni since Clannad.

Japan community is up in fire over this nonsense crap, I suppose its not a big issue for those who never read the novels, good for ya. As for the rest of us I guess we just have to cut ourselves in despair for what could have been KyoAni's greatest series yet directed by none other than God director Takemoto, Yasuhiro.
That man makes my testicles tickle

Could you elaborate on this please? I havent read the novel.
Mar 16, 2018 2:28 AM

Dec 2015
Quite a simple plot, carried by great storytelling as with all the other episodes :)

I was quite surprised to see Violet breakdown, I kind of prefer her her lack of emotions/doll-like-manner which makes her character unique.
~
Mar 16, 2018 2:53 AM

Feb 2017
Great and really sad episode. I got teary-eyed when Anne started reading mother's letters and when Violet started crying I started too.

It is so nice to see Violet developing more and more as a person each episode.
Mar 16, 2018 3:06 AM

Jun 2016
boy the replies on this thread are something. Firstly i get the people saying it is OTT with its sadness and melodrama, but on the other hand cant you just enjoy it for even just a little bit? i really really loved this episode just for the emotional aspect alone.
Why hello there
Mar 16, 2018 3:16 AM

Aug 2015
aiem said:
BlueSkylark said:

Nothing has to be unique nor unpredictable to be good though. You've stuck for 10 episodes and by now you should know what this show is about.

The themes in this episode were something that people who have experienced loss can relate to. If you say that this is a normal thing and nothing special that you are so disensitized about it then I'm sorry to hear that.

I mean I agree with the first part uniqueness is not a criteria that a story should be judged. In the end Lord of the Rings is also mostly a re-imagining of the heroes journey.
And yeah I am stuck 10 Episodes in, cause I really wanted to like this show and by now it's no use dropping it cause with like 4 Eps left there is no point to it. ^^'

Oh and if you take this forum as a sample size, on the discord of my Guild we barly have anyone that even tries to defend this show anymore. xD
Last time I checked it wasn't even in the Top 5 of the season anymore. Far behind stuff like Sora Yori or Sangatsus S2.

For the second part I am not disensitized in that aspect:
Clannad AS

and even if we look at it under the "you just don't like drama heavy short stories". Then why would I like something like this which is far more poetic than this episode.
Thirty and a Half Minutes

For me Violet is just a heartless and soulless show.

BlueSkylarkMar 16, 2018 3:22 AM
Mar 16, 2018 4:00 AM
Oct 2014
I would just like to say that this episode, of this series was the first show literally ever to make me cry. It was a single tear, but it's the only show that's accomplished that. For that, I will give this as much praise as I can possibly give it.
Mar 16, 2018 4:24 AM

Jun 2017
I cried like a bitch in this episode and ep 3. The letters were just…
Mar 16, 2018 4:29 AM

Mar 2013
This Episode caught off my guard with that ending... Legit cried after She's receiving the letter when She's 8 years old... T_T

Was expecting the mother writes the letters for Anne, but I didn't think It'll be this emotional... Probably the best Episode so far imo.
Mar 16, 2018 4:49 AM

Jan 2017
I'm so glad they adapted chapter 2. I have a soft spot for mothers and the novel already got me. Seeing Violet crying, I just can't hold back my tears anymore.

SalmonSandwich said:
Please next chapter be Aiden's story please... D:

I bet Violet will cry a lot again. Iirc in the novel, that's the first chapter where Violet showed some 'emotions'.

Also, I think the only thing that Chapter 10 can add is some background on Violet's identity.

Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» AMV

TokeiSenpai - May 14

2 by MDR- »»
Yesterday, 7:12 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

286 by Cleints »»
May 13, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

319 by NubFix »»
May 2, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.