Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 4, 2018 10:16 PM
Aug 2017
Chiibi said:
The plot of Violet Evergarden is "a young girl suffering from PTSD going on a self-discovering journey to find the meaning of love and other emotions".

She does not have PTSD, emotionally stunted would be closer to whatever her business is. Also, an MC going through a journey to learn how to emote is nothing new. Google is your friend for looking up similar stories of either the former or later character type going through said plot line if you're interested in finding more.
ragdollomegaMar 5, 2018 7:15 PM
Mar 4, 2018 10:18 PM

Mar 2017
I will never open a spoiler ever again :)

5/5 for the episode.

EDIT: For whoever you are, can you atleast put some spoiler tag before you say something that's a potential spoiler for the story? I know I opened some of spoiler tag already and yeah that was my fault, but if you didn't even put a spoiler tag, would it be my fault also?

Guess I was wrong for opening the forum in the first place, well then I'm not gonna open the forum for the rest of the episodes.
BlueIsLoveMar 4, 2018 10:33 PM
Mar 5, 2018 10:19 AM
Mar 2009
Daniel_Naumov said:
Fujimiya said:
Btw, is there somebody has a WW1 knowledge? Which western front battle that Violet and the Major join? The first one in this episode looks like Somme's battle but the last one somehow looks like Battle of Tsaritsyn that have no German's involvement at all...........

They obviously have nothing to do with our history at all. Made up just for the story sake.

Owww, what a pity. Because Violet's regiment and country is definitely Germany Empire at WW1, look at the rifle and handgun that they use in this episode. The handgun definitely Luger p08 and the rifle is gewehr 98 .
Mar 5, 2018 11:58 AM
Apr 2016
Fujimiya said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

They obviously have nothing to do with our history at all. Made up just for the story sake.

Owww, what a pity. Because Violet's regiment and country is definitely Germany Empire at WW1, look at the rifle and handgun that they use in this episode. The handgun definitely Luger p08 and the rifle is gewehr 98 .

If it was a Germany it would be called a Germany. And that would trigger half the globe even within that mentally rotten community that drools to beautifully drawn girls. And this is why it is not Germany. The battle itself is simply orchestrated for the narration sake - the squad enters fortified battlement on the hill, Violet slaughters everyone like a beast, they are ambushed and left together, and then Gilbert gets shot in the eye. Action, tragedy. What else would the generic consumer want?
Re:formed
Mar 5, 2018 12:23 PM
Sep 2015
I just saw 2 guys arguing LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As of now, Violet is one of the best this season or maybe it can be the best if you look at it overall. For some, the plot is the problem I'll give you that but its plot is not the worst among all of the anime that are airing this season. The art and sound is their bread and butter, I think they are at the top of that category. The cinematography is top notch it feels like you're watching a movie. As for if its entertaining, this not a show for a lot of people so maybe that is they got bored and stuff. If you think if its not the show for you and can't find its substance, maybe you should stop watching it if you really felt that you are suffering just by looking at it.

For my review at the episode: yeah it was great, I got the feels. The best episode for me because I got what I want to see(some backstory and Gilbert).

When the anime is over, I might give it a 10 because of its overall aspects, I really score high for the shows that I liked because I'm just a simple man.. As of now I lovin' it.

Mar 5, 2018 3:10 PM
Apr 2016
George_Alfaruq said:
I just saw 2 guys arguing LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You will see even more when you shove your head out of the kindergarden...
Re:formed
Mar 5, 2018 4:14 PM

May 2015
Major is so stupid. He went AFK in the middle of capturing the point. Idiot.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 5, 2018 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
I found the beginning of this episode to be very boring. But it lit up in the end (literally) and it was alright. But yeah seems rather stupid that they didn't expect an ambush and just rushed in with a total of 6 soldiers. GG that is how you die.
Mar 5, 2018 6:44 PM

Nov 2008
ragdollomega said:
Google is your friend for looking up similar stories of either the former or later character type going through said plot line if your interested in finding more.

I'm not. This series is doing its job just fine.

Btw it's "you're". :/

Mar 5, 2018 7:15 PM
Aug 2017
Chiibi said:
ragdollomega said:
Google is your friend for looking up similar stories of either the former or later character type going through said plot line if your interested in finding more.

I'm not. This series is doing its job just fine.

Btw it's "you're". :/

I'll thank you for the correction, but that's hardly relevant to the conversation.
Mar 6, 2018 5:15 AM

Nov 2007
ragdollomega said:
Chiibi said:
The plot of Violet Evergarden is "a young girl suffering from PTSD going on a self-discovering journey to find the meaning of love and other emotions".

She does not have PTSD, emotionally stunted would be closer to whatever her business is. Also, an MC going through a journey to learn how to emote is nothing new. Google is your friend for looking up similar stories of either the former or later character type going through said plot line if you're interested in finding more.

How do you know if part of her current self is not PTSD. Her PTSD may go back before she was picked up by Gilbert's brother coupled with her animal-like behaviour.

As for Violet's journey, what if it's nothing new? It's not only the plot. It is also how things are delivered. Hollywood for instance lauded Avatar when it basically followed the same plot-line of The Last Samurai because it had incredible 3D animation and a captivating world. Although, personally I found The Last Samurai way better but that's not something I am gonna discuss.

Besides, there are plenty of stories in Movies, TV Series, Novels, Anime that follow the same pattern within and outside Japan. Former friends becoming mortal enemies. Former enemies becoming allies against greater evil. Falling in love with/trying to be the matchmaker. A new person appearing out of absolutely nowhere and making the protagonist fall in love with them instead of the person who loved them forever. Google these as well and you'll know that there is not many "new thing" that you are seemingly craving for in modern literature/entertainment. And let's not go to the Eastern European, Asian or Middle Eastern classics. A huge number of them probably won't appear in Google searches. It's the same reason why many people out there think Hollywood is the best place to find new and innovative plot-line not knowing that those things have been always there.

Violet Evergarden is doing more than fine. It had only one or two mediocre episodes (for me, just one). The rest of them are done very gracefully. The visual story telling is incredible so is the situations that the characters find themselves experiencing.

Like Luculia's brother always knew he had a reason to not live like a drunkard corpse. Back in his mind he wanted to remain a sweet brother to Luculia - his only remaining family left in this world yet he succumbed to despair for not being able to protect his parents, blaming his own inability that made Luculia an orphan and more importantly not knowing how Luculia felt about him all along. So, when he read that letter, it was the greatest insurance for him to start everything anew.

Like the number of roses in that vase in Charlotte's room represented how many letters she shared with the Prince in such a short period of time, the idea of time was represented through the fact that the roses didn't wither, that the story was apparently a romance between a Princess and her Prince Charming, and in the spur of the moment, Charlotte could give her all in pursuit for her love even though she knew the result would leave her unable to be with Alberta who brought her up and made her who she was.

Like when Leon thought he was the most unfortunate person ever to not having his parents with him, his outlook on everything started to change the moment he knew Violet was probably more unfortunate to not having met her parents at all. He might have seen Violet's ability to remain indifferent having experienced something far worse. So, suddenly he could find himself in a position where he could connect with her, and see his situation differently, and thus he wanted to talk with her and wanted to know more about her under that starry night only to find out that Violet also had her own passion and despite of not knowing what may lie ahead, she had a reason to keep on living and moving forward which changed Leon for good.

Like when Oscar and Olivia were having that conversation about running atop the leaves on the water, Olivia was already diagnosed with a terminal disease and it was her way to show that she would overcome it by pulling a miracle. Olivia telling her father that she would someday show him that miracle was her declaration that she would hang on, for herself and for Oscar.

Like irrespective of what might have actually happened to Gilbert, the gravestone was a grim reminder for Violet that the world that was Gilbert to her, that she believed she would rather be dead without, was already long gone.

These are just some small hints. There are many more to ponder. To the anime's credit, they delivered exceptionally well in stories that spanned from 15-20 minutes per story. That's rather incredible considering how much of the stories were conveyed in such small time span.

It's not about what we feel for Violet or the side characters. It is about trying to see what the characters in the story are feeling as a third person. One doesn't always have to enjoy a story putting themselves in the story. Unfortunately that is which majority are trying to do here for Violet Evergarden and in case of many anime in general. Fans try to enjoy an anime by relating themselves to the stories. But in all honesty, one should be able to see a story as a third person as well and try to pick up hints from the story as it is told to really understand the story. I cannot blame them. Everyone has their own way of enjoying what and how they want to enjoy.

In the anime itself, everyone around Violet, or those who get to know her know that she is an awkward person. The anime only small segment with Luculia from episode 6 showed that she knows how awkward Violet is but she already accepts her as is. The sympathy of characters like Claudia and more notably of Cattleya are examples of those who can sympathize with Violet even within the story.

Finally, we cannot expect the anime to have 20+ episodes like ARIA, Natsume Yuujinchou or MushiShi, some classic examples of episodic anime to show a lot of experiences the protagonists of those stories go through. Of course, Violet's character may not come as captivating as Akari, Natsume or Ginko's character but she is very mysterious. That alone makes her a very fascinating character for me, personally.
shanimebibMar 6, 2018 5:25 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 6, 2018 6:25 AM

Jun 2017
Easily one of my favourite episodes so far. I love how they depicted the battlefield atmosphere and her relationship with Gilbert. Though I need to know how and where the military even found Violet gsfkaskfgfghdkl;
Mar 6, 2018 9:14 AM
Aug 2017
shanimebib said:

How do you know if part of her current self is not PTSD. Her PTSD may go back before she was picked up by Gilbert's brother coupled with her animal-like behaviour.

We don't need her pre-Gilbert backstory to observe how she behaves in the present. That backstory would give the root cause of why she behaves the way she does, which is still important, but would not change that she doesn't show any of the symptoms that strongly indicate PTSD in the present. She could still develop it from past or new trauma, though I think that is an unlikely development at this point.

As for Violet's journey, what if it's nothing new? It's not only the plot. It is also how things are delivered. Hollywood for instance lauded Avatar when it basically followed the same plot-line of The Last Samurai because it had incredible 3D animation and a captivating world. Although, personally I found The Last Samurai way better but that's not something I am gonna discuss.

Nothing wrong with not being completely new. That sorta thing is just not possible with the sheer volume of stories that have been made. I agree that it's the execution that's important. Also how well the little twist that differentiates a story from its peers is implemented.
Mar 6, 2018 10:08 AM

Dec 2016
Amazing backstory! These episodes are getting better and better ^^ It was nice to learn more about Violet and Gilbert's past :)
Mar 7, 2018 6:35 AM

Oct 2008
This episode is a pure War Picture! nuff said.
5/5.

Mar 7, 2018 2:04 PM

Nov 2007
ragdollomega said:
shanimebib said:

Nothing wrong with not being completely new. That sorta thing is just not possible with the sheer volume of stories that have been made. I agree that it's the execution that's important. Also how well the little twist that differentiates a story from its peers is implemented.

Twist or not, they have already connected everything that has happened in the anime with the next episode (ep. 09). Not everything needs a twist. Whether Gilbert is left dead or brought back from dead. I was skeptical myself but I will keep my score at a 9/10 at the very least for this one no matter how bad or good the remaining episodes turn out to be. Episode 5-7 already got me back in good feel about the anime. Episode 8 made me a bit reassured. Episode 9 nailed it. I would be pondering between a 9 or a 10 if episode 9 ended up becoming the final episode. The rest of the 5 episodes will be bonuses for me.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 7, 2018 3:16 PM
Aug 2017
shanimebib said:
ragdollomega said:

Twist or not, they have already connected everything that has happened in the anime with the next episode (ep. 09). Not everything needs a twist. Whether Gilbert is left dead or brought back from dead. I was skeptical myself but I will keep my score at a 9/10 at the very least for this one no matter how bad or good the remaining episodes turn out to be. Episode 5-7 already got me back in good feel about the anime. Episode 8 made me a bit reassured. Episode 9 nailed it. I would be pondering between a 9 or a 10 if episode 9 ended up becoming the final episode. The rest of the 5 episodes will be bonuses for me.

I feel there's a misunderstanding on my position toward the show. I don't think badly of Violet Evergarden. I don't think it's the beez neez either, but it has been fairly entertaining.

I guess twist isn't the right word I'm looking for. I don't mean a plot twist, but whatever tweak to the formula a show uses to differentiate itself from its peers.
Mar 7, 2018 9:55 PM

Mar 2009
People still think the show is trash after an episode like this one?

And the music continues to be godly.
Mar 8, 2018 3:08 PM

Jan 2008
"You were just a tool to him!" said the older brother who's name I can't be bothered to remember...

...No, that was all you. I mean c'mon; did the brother just willfully ignore how the major literally took her by the hand away from him forcing her to bow during their first meeting? The Major was the only one to treat Violet like a person during the war, with Claudia a close second (still can't get over his name that doesn't suit him at all).

I've said it before, but people like the older brother is among the top of my list of people I hate the most: hypocrites, and those who constantly project their own faults or accusations onto others while lacking self-awareness.
Mar 9, 2018 1:06 AM

Nov 2012
This was..... beautiful.

This episode is significantly better than the rest of the anime. the budget, the music, the directing.. every single aspect is on a whole different level.

Hope the rest of the episodes is as good. the first half of the anime was quite disappointing. there's still a chance to make up for it with the 2nd half.
Mar 9, 2018 3:26 AM

Aug 2016
Kinda saddening to see Violet's past :(

Now that is one way to end an episode.

Set by SenpieX
Mar 9, 2018 8:01 PM

Jul 2007
well, I cried a lot. beautiful episode T-T
Mar 10, 2018 4:57 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Nice to finally see Gilbert and Violet's backstory and relationship given proper screen time. Gilbert was the only one who saw Violet as more than just a weapon, he's a genuine guy.

War really is a horrible thing.
Mar 11, 2018 7:16 AM

Apr 2015
Wow that sad past got me quite a bit lol. Kinda wonder how violet's parents were and what she did in her childhood because it seems kinda weird to just a find a cute girl somewere in the open field and bring her in.

Anyway 10/10 episode.
Mar 14, 2018 11:06 AM

Sep 2015
This is such an aesthetically great show. The art direction, the music it all creates a moving emotional experience. But as we delve into Violet's backstory I can't help but feel the series is drowning in cliches. Some parts of her flashbacks spoke to me. I liked the scene with the gem in the bazaar. I liked a lot of Gilbert and Violet's later interactions. But when they first show up to the mansion. And he's teaching her basic words. It felt like a Jane Austen novel starring ET. But only slightly less hilarious than that sounds.

I also felt this episode was stretched a bit thin. It might have benefited from being a pure flashback episode. Or a pure looking for Gilbert episode. Rather than cutting in between. Especially when we briefly establish her coworkers are looking for her in the first half of the episode. And then they're never seen again. Not sure which would come first though. Or if that would even work that much better.

The series wears its heart on its sleeve. And sometimes it just actually face plants. Because it's trying so hard to be an emotional resonant experience. But I think it's still great enough of the time that this is forgivable.
Mar 15, 2018 5:03 PM

Oct 2012
Weird to close the episode in such way.. Also, they still didn't show any fatal wound as this was just splinter from the bullet that hit his helmet and ripped his eye. Also, how did she lost her hands?So they basically split up her backstory to two episodes? I guess to be continued then. Or are we expected to follow with ep1 after this? But even then, she would bleed out A LOT faster with torn hands than her major with his injuries.

Anyway, the backstory was interesting although nothing special, one superpowered girl trope on the battlefield (still thinking that it would be better if they made the setting WWI instead). The bit with the brooch was nice although we already saw it in ep1 too.

Mar 20, 2018 3:42 AM

Jul 2013
First of all why does their military even use a fucking kid as a soldier? Didn't they have human rights or whatever back then? I mean she's good at fighting yeah although it's also questionable how they even found out about it but still she's a kid. This is unlike Tanya from The Saga of Tanya the evil cause that mofo is actually a middle aged man from another dimension and also it's fucking fantasy with magic and shit. Second, and this is what really baffles me, if she's that good at fighting then why treat her like shit? She's a major fucking asset if I've ever seen one. It's like in a basketball team, you don't treat your mvp like a waterboy or a benchwarmer cause he can throw the game or join the other team. This is bullshit.
Mar 22, 2018 6:32 PM

Jul 2012
These scenes may look really cool without context, but I just couldn't help but feel very sad for Violet throughout the whole episode, especially when she was killing all of those people :/
Mar 24, 2018 9:41 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Watched Violet how a war-dog, was very sad :/
Mar 24, 2018 6:31 PM
Jan 2011
PrimeX said:
First of all why does their military even use a fucking kid as a soldier? Didn't they have human rights or whatever back then? I mean she's good at fighting yeah although it's also questionable how they even found out about it but still she's a kid. This is unlike Tanya from The Saga of Tanya the evil cause that mofo is actually a middle aged man from another dimension and also it's fucking fantasy with magic and shit. Second, and this is what really baffles me, if she's that good at fighting then why treat her like shit? She's a major fucking asset if I've ever seen one. It's like in a basketball team, you don't treat your mvp like a waterboy or a benchwarmer cause he can throw the game or join the other team. This is bullshit.

Maybe because she heartlessly killed their soldier before? Gilbert's brother did mention that she slaughter his comrade tho.
Mar 30, 2018 8:03 PM

Jul 2014
I see no reason whatsoever why this couldn't have been episode one. We gained nothing by putting the other episodes before this. Baffling.
Mar 30, 2018 9:24 PM
Mar 2018
Didn't like it as much as the previous one, but it was a good episode.
Mar 31, 2018 4:35 PM
Mar 2012
Oh cool a Luger, & Thanksgivng.
Violet learns to read & write, what's beautiful, and gratitude.
Finally see Claudia in the old days, really close friend with Gilbert.
Wow Violet's gar with that nimble speed.
They should probably plan over the hq map better, since big open spaces is quite dangerous for them invaders. The battle's presented quite intense & feels realistic tho a bit dark to see anything.

Mar 31, 2018 6:08 PM

May 2010
Violet looked like a shota in her millitary clothes. Reminded me of Alois from Kuroshitsuji II :o

Poor Gilbert got shot right in his eye, but I'm way more interested in seeing how the heck did Violet lose both of her arms!
Apr 2, 2018 11:55 PM

Jun 2016
Quite possibly my favourite episode so far tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2018 4:23 PM

Oct 2017
PrimeX said:

I mean its a fictitious setting and how Violet does most of things she can do is pretty ridiculous but so is many things in anime. In the historically inspired period that Violet is supposed to take place in letting women in general fight would be controversial (exception being Russia) but as for age Britain had tons of kids fighting in WW1 who were like 14 years old somewhat around her age some even younger. Lots of recruiting offices offered benefits to getting more and more people to sign up so many officials just overlooked you if you could pass for older.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/brave-story-youngest-soldier-ww1-3927739

BilboBaggins365Apr 5, 2018 4:29 PM
Apr 7, 2018 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode. Finally, we got to see some of Violet's past.
I better get ready for feels :(
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 8, 2018 12:35 AM

Jun 2013
Finally War past of Violet and Gilbert and start of what just happened in that "Place"

tough oh damn, Violet really was emotionless fighter....and Gilbert got her loyalty for being kind....tough I can understand that. after life time of abuse and hard-ship, 1st show of kindness will usually makes them bat-shit loyal. Psychological stuff that I don't know much but that is my opinion at least.

And like hell she is going to just accept that Gilbert is just dead...tough personally think that he is....
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Apr 8, 2018 12:12 PM

May 2012
Holy moly, this was intense as hell! That backstory and all those emotions! She would definitely have like a mental breakdown after all this, and I sure am surprised she didn't up till now! Really fantastic episode, let's see what's next.
Apr 10, 2018 5:45 AM

Apr 2011
Violet's past is heavy on the feels. Really shows how deadly on the battlefield she is.
Apr 14, 2018 3:04 AM

Dec 2015
maybe its just me but im pretty sure every episode has made me sad.... cant even binge this, my face hurts too much
Apr 14, 2018 3:53 AM
Apr 2018
Tarotist said:
Violet must have went through some harsh training to be that good. And she charged into the cathedral while under fire from the enemy on the high ground and picked off one after another...with a rifle...while moving...

Aren't there more "weapons" like her? Just send a group of them in like a special forces squadron and wreck house! Then again, since these weapons have seemingly no emotions and no will of their own, you'd need someone to command them...

So Violet being treated like a tool until Gilbert began treating her like a human being. I liked the progression in this episode. Great sound effects with the military warfare too.

Now I hate to nitpick, but I'm going to ask a bit about that eye-shot...

Gilbert was standing at the edge of the wall/balcony or whatever:

He gets shot at his right eye. The direction that the shot came from was directly in front of him. This is proven when Gilbert's head jerks back:

These two enemy soldiers were nearby, although where they were standing in relation to Gilbert's position is unknown. It looks like they were either behind Violet and Gilbert or somewhere to the right of Gilbert. But the shot came from the front...:

And the barrel of this soldier's gun is smoking, which means he just fired:

Uhh....I guess we'll have to find out next episode...

Gilbert doesn't get shot in the eye. Considering the era style of the anime with the clip fed rifles, it was common for soldiers to be equipped with iron helmets. Depending on where the shot hit, these helmets could usually withstand the impact from low to medium caliber ammo. The shot at Gilbert's head grazed above the curved lip of the helmet and part of the helmet sharded into his right eye. If he was shot in the eye, the bullet would've blown out from the side of his head.
Also, it should be pretty clear that Violet was standing behind Gilbert while he was facing the edge. He turned back to look at her and he was shot. The metallic sound should also make it pretty clear that his helmet was hit.
Akechi001Apr 14, 2018 4:01 AM
Apr 14, 2018 9:03 AM

May 2015
Akechi001 said:
Tarotist said:
Violet must have went through some harsh training to be that good. And she charged into the cathedral while under fire from the enemy on the high ground and picked off one after another...with a rifle...while moving...

Aren't there more "weapons" like her? Just send a group of them in like a special forces squadron and wreck house! Then again, since these weapons have seemingly no emotions and no will of their own, you'd need someone to command them...

So Violet being treated like a tool until Gilbert began treating her like a human being. I liked the progression in this episode. Great sound effects with the military warfare too.

Now I hate to nitpick, but I'm going to ask a bit about that eye-shot...

Gilbert was standing at the edge of the wall/balcony or whatever:

He gets shot at his right eye. The direction that the shot came from was directly in front of him. This is proven when Gilbert's head jerks back:

These two enemy soldiers were nearby, although where they were standing in relation to Gilbert's position is unknown. It looks like they were either behind Violet and Gilbert or somewhere to the right of Gilbert. But the shot came from the front...:

And the barrel of this soldier's gun is smoking, which means he just fired:

Uhh....I guess we'll have to find out next episode...

Gilbert doesn't get shot in the eye. Considering the era style of the anime with the clip fed rifles, it was common for soldiers to be equipped with iron helmets. Depending on where the shot hit, these helmets could usually withstand the impact from low to medium caliber ammo. The shot at Gilbert's head grazed above the curved lip of the helmet and part of the helmet sharded into his right eye. If he was shot in the eye, the bullet would've blown out from the side of his head.
Also, it should be pretty clear that Violet was standing behind Gilbert while he was facing the edge. He turned back to look at her and he was shot. The metallic sound should also make it pretty clear that his helmet was hit.

I get the bullet clashing with the helmet. My real question is where the shot came from in relation to where the enemy soldiers were standing.
Apr 14, 2018 11:28 AM
Apr 2018
He is still alive i guess... coz Hodgins said they never found major body in there.. plus i am pretty sure while i watch the trailer again, the major have a scar on his right eye and he used a black eyepatch
Apr 15, 2018 12:33 PM

May 2013
I liked this backstory (: more Gilbert is always a plus cuz I wanna know more about his and Violet's bond <3 they're sweet. Esp how he got emotional over her admiration for his eyes since Day 1 :') awwhhh.

Sucks that he got shot in one, but at least he doesn't die from it (yet) ;A;
I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up later alive though :3 but hopefully not bc Violet needs to learn to grow without him
Kokoro_KotashimaApr 15, 2018 1:07 PM
Apr 16, 2018 12:31 AM

Nov 2017
Another great episode, a little more on the backstory of Gilbert and Violet. The battle scenes were pretty well done, and the story is flowing nicely to this point
Apr 16, 2018 12:57 AM

Dec 2017
Witnessing Violet in denial of the news about Gilbert was a tragic thing to experience. This episode used its time wisely and showed us pretty well why Shipley has such a strong connection with “The Major”
Apr 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Aug 2010
Tbh im slightly disappointed, this arc was the one i enjoyed most in the LN and the adaptation just didn't make it for me (still better than most the other sidestories they put up)
Apr 28, 2018 5:39 PM

Apr 2014
-Nice to see more into her past, especially the events that occurred on that fateful day.

-Empty grave :o

-Violet seemed so feral not too long ago. Not only could she not read or write, which was understandable, she also hardly talked to the point where they thought she couldn't. I want to know about her earlier past. If they just found her at a war front already possessing such deadly capabilities, then there has to be others out there like her. Secret project of some other government creating weapons out of children.

-Poor Violet in such grief and denial :(
Apr 29, 2018 12:49 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
The pacing was lightning. Make me mad the KyoAni doesn't do more action in their properties. Granted I see the nitpicks in the setting and op of Violet but it's more the intensity and entertainment of it for once that I find enjoyable.

The entirety of Gilbert/Violet coming together was flawless and honestly this is how all the relationships in the story should feel; unique. And majority of Gilberts emotions ARE NOT SAID OUT LOUD you can tell how he feels just how he looks and her and his hesitation. I honestly think this entire series would boost in quality if a lot more was told not shown.

And granted I don't really care about the war/battle jargon but it feels so sporadic that, I'm not sure the series knows what it wants to do with it. They can't just have it as window dressing because of what goes on but it's so little that it seems almost bare minimum. Feel like there could've been a good compromise on how to handle.

I want to call these nitpicks but after the episode it makes me think to heavily on what I just watched rather then shut up and take a back seat for the ride.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2018

298 by xyntho »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

570 by xyntho »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

320 by Jumpre24 »»
Today, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

286 by Cleints »»
May 13, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

620 by chiransh_agarwal »»
May 6, 11:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.