Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2018 2:28 PM
Oct 2014
Comander-07 said:
Implyingi said:
Ok, here's my take on things so far... (Skip below if you want a TL;DR)

Zero Two and Hiro don't work together (as a couple) and here's why I think that.

Zero Two doesn't see Hiro as a person, just her darling and there's a good reason for that. From the onset of the anime we've been presented with the premise that Zero Two and Hiro need each other as they complete each other, they are two halves of the same whole if you will. Zero Two is compatible with one other and it's Hiro. This is something Zero Two has been seeking for a long time, all those partners dead, the way people perceive her, it's all very sad and it's clearly had an impact on her mental state. Her desire to find the partner that won't die and allow her to be free is found in Hiro and to that end she has her eternal love, her "Darling".

Hiro is the other side of this parallel, Hiro perceives himself (as so do the majority) a failure. He has been raised to be a Franxx pilot something that is drilled into them form an early age, this however is seemingly the one thing he cannot do despite trying. Repeated failures and consequences of those have left him weak and down heartened. Here he meets Zero Two, a beautiful girl who is unlike any person he has seen before. Over the episodes that follow Hiro discovers his compatibility, manages to pilot and through Zero Two he is given the one thing he has striven for; piloting a Franxx to please Papa and help his friends and all through Zero Two, his missing piece if you will.

Here's the thing, turns out accomplishing that one thing you've been told to do is just that, an accomplished goal. Beyond piloting Hiro has become to feel for Zero Two and wishes to truly be by her side. He has seen different aspects of her personality, including times of weakness and wants to devote himself to this person. He has grown and gotten over the aspect of "I need to succeed piloting Franxx because I've been told that's what I'm supposed to do" and has progressed into developing his own reasons for doing that. Not because he is told but because he wants to be with Zero Two.

Zero Two has come to no such revelation, in-fact she doesn't (in my opinion) look at Hiro as a person but more of the goal of which she has been seeking, now obtained and nothing will take that goal away from her. Hiro "belongs" to Zero Two. Across these episodes there isn't dialogue in which Zero Two and Hiro communicate as people, they only speak of their wishes, goals, desires and alike, their entire romance dynamic is very fake feeling because of this.

Dr. Mech-Face Ossan (apologies I forget his name) even states in this episode not to give his emotions to Zero two because they will be eaten and my interpretation of that (and there might and probably will be many different meanings to that statement, both actual and metaphorical) is that falling in love or wishing to be loved by Zero Two isn't an outcome that can happen. Not the way Zero Two is as of right now anyway.

It's common for childhood friends to get cucked in anime and it's probably the same here but at this point Ichigo is winning the brownie points in the Hirobowl.

Closing thoughts: This could all change and I truly hope it does with as little heartbreak as possible. This is the first episode in which we see what I believe to be desire for Zero Two to fit in with the group (her staring at them from afar and having fun together). Perhaps she'll gain some humanity and realize her situation with Hiro and her treating of others up to this point has been nothing but somewhat cruel, especially if she feels no true sense of love for Hiro.

TL;DR
Zero Two is just using Hiro and the Dr's warning may actually be literal as she doesn't see him as a love interest but just means of achieving her goals.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, idk. Thoughts anyone?
what makes we wonder was the way she talked about the kiss and how its for someone special while at the same time denying hiro the kiss. It feels like she is a child playing with a toy, just that the toy is hiro

It looks like 02 make competiton with Ichigo for Hiro but only for fun. Maybe 02 only wants to play with this children
Feb 24, 2018 2:28 PM

Feb 2015
Funny and surprisingly cute episode.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Feb 24, 2018 2:32 PM

Jun 2012
It's an interesting point of view, personally I think that, as you said, 02 will learn "human" feelings. I don't really care of who will date Hiro in the end but if 02 learn feelings she might be able to fall in love with Hiro or maybe someone else. I think this anime is mostly about human relations and he always suprised me so You're point of view may be one of the logicalest but I think there too logic in it

Oh 100%, I couldn't agree with you more I think the entire premise of the show is human growth, feelings, emotions and all the rollercoasters they take you on.
Feb 24, 2018 2:36 PM
Oct 2014
Implyingi said:
It's an interesting point of view, personally I think that, as you said, 02 will learn "human" feelings. I don't really care of who will date Hiro in the end but if 02 learn feelings she might be able to fall in love with Hiro or maybe someone else. I think this anime is mostly about human relations and he always suprised me so You're point of view may be one of the logicalest but I think there too logic in it

Oh 100%, I couldn't agree with you more I think the entire premise of the show is human growth, feelings, emotions and all the rollercoasters they take you on.

Thanks ! I think the next episode will be interesting
Feb 24, 2018 2:37 PM

Dec 2016
Good, they are now officially partners.

The boys are definitely human after all, they enjoy seeing the girls in bikini's and want to kiss them.

Zorome was a little too eager lol.

It's fine to have a nice relaxing episode like this every now and then.

I want to see shooting stars sometime.
Feb 24, 2018 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
Get a scary feeling that zero-two is the Main girl but they will go with a ichigo route in the end becasue just for the fun...Damn that would suck :/ The Japanese seem to like ichigo more (don´t understand why. Boring girls/characters exist so much anyway.

Great episodes anyway and that explain (for those who still wonders) about their view on sex and love.
SweanimeFeb 24, 2018 2:44 PM
Feb 24, 2018 2:40 PM

Sep 2014
Shaser_99 said:
Comander-07 said:
what makes we wonder was the way she talked about the kiss and how its for someone special while at the same time denying hiro the kiss. It feels like she is a child playing with a toy, just that the toy is hiro

It looks like 02 make competiton with Ichigo for Hiro but only for fun. Maybe 02 only wants to play with this children
that seems to be more like her personality liking to pick on her, after all ichigo only really showed romantic interest in hiro after zero two was all over him. The rivalry (lol can we even call it that? Hiro ditched her multiple times) with ichigo is more like a bonus thannthe reason
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 24, 2018 2:48 PM

Oct 2015
That what I call a great beach episode !

Beautiful and fun to watch . Most show fail to deliver this because it will be the lame fan service if you done it wrong.
Feb 24, 2018 2:49 PM
Oct 2014
Comander-07 said:
Shaser_99 said:

that seems to be more like her personality liking to pick on her, after all ichigo only really showed romantic interest in hiro after zero two was all over him. The rivalry (lol can we even call it that? Hiro ditched her multiple times) with ichigo is more like a bonus thannthe reason

02, Hiro and 15 are such a great triangle but looks like it may going to be fun
Feb 24, 2018 2:52 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
Good episode! It was nice seeing them relax & be able to relieve stress, glad that they had fun!
I don't think this will last much though, more like "the calm before the storm" I think Dr.Franxx had some sort of intention when he decided to let them go to the beach.

It seems like 02 is having a hard time connecting with the others, seeing as how she's keeping some sort of distance + she looks cute with a ponytail ♡!

Ichigo looked adorable as well & Poor her, seems she still hopes for Hiro to understand her feelings, though I do think that she'll end up getting hurt as usual! It's obvious that Hiro doesn't think of her that way!
Must protect, I just want her to be happy ;;

It was interesting seeing them slowly trying to learn things such as "Love or Kiss". Goro is starting to have feelings for Ichigo it seems & Uh When Kokoro picked the book "My first Childbirth", I bet they will soon learn about pregnancy which may be a sign that something will happen, maybe between both Kokoro & Mitsuru!

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Feb 24, 2018 2:53 PM
Jul 2017
How are the guys finding the swimsuits exiting?? It doesnt seem like they have been through sex ed, since they have no idea what a kiss is or how babies are made so seeing the girls «secret parts» shouldnt be affecting them the same way it would normal boys. Am i missing something here?
Feb 24, 2018 2:56 PM

Mar 2013
I am the only one that thinks this one was full of death flags?
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 24, 2018 3:00 PM

Aug 2014
BLaCkGuN69 said:
I am the only one that thinks this one was full of death flags?

A hint of a little "final fantasy type-0" ;)
Feb 24, 2018 3:05 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
This was actually a pretty great episode. Usually episodes after the last one always disappoint simply because the previous was so well received. But this served so many different purposes.

Really nice bonding between the group, they really needed it considering how divided they've been.

So happy we finally got some world building. It looks like people evacuated in a hurry. Judging by the foliage and what the town looked like, it seems like it's been abandoned for around 50-100 years. That gives us some kind of idea how long this all has been going on. It seems that Klaxxosaur's rose after humanity began to harvest magma energy.

Kokoro found a book about childbirth, I have to wonder if that will actually lead to possible sex in the future? I wonder if Dr. Franxx planned for them to find this city in the first place...

Ichigo and Hiro's talk was much needed for their relationship. Ichigo was so cute, especially when walking in Hiro's footsteps. She sort of had a little confession at the end there.

A much needed episode for character development and world building. It was nice to relax this week.
Feb 24, 2018 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
Shaser_99 said:
Revvie-chan said:
ps.: oh so the love war isn't over for Ichigo. That's nice.

I think she is going to be in the friendzone

That's obvious, but the ending doesn't matter.
Feb 24, 2018 3:09 PM

Apr 2015
Implyingi said:

Zero Two has come to no such revelation, in-fact she doesn't (in my opinion) look at Hiro as a person but more of the goal of which she has been seeking, now obtained and nothing will take that goal away from her. Hiro "belongs" to Zero Two. Across these episodes there isn't dialogue in which Zero Two and Hiro communicate as people, they only speak of their wishes, goals, desires and alike, their entire romance dynamic is very fake feeling because of this.

Hey!

I'm heavily disagreeing with this. You want a revelation from Zero Two but we are not even in any position to see her inner thoughts yet. We're limited to the people she interacts with and how she present herself in front of them and as we know that's not exactly representative of what she truly feels. The closest we get to it is through Hiro's perspective and that has gradually become more and more intimate as he changed his goals and eventually became a wing for her in Episode 6.

I don't see how that degrades her view on him to that of a mere obstacle. She was interested in him, he made her realize that unlike all the others, he views her differently, she accepted him and forged a bond with him in Episode 1. Afterwards she tested him, ironically on exactly what you're accusing Zero Two of. Does he merely want to pilot a FranXX and she has the means to fulfill that wish or is it her that he wants? That's what was clarified in Episode 4, he wants not to pilot with anyone even if he could but with her. That was enough for her to know that he really cares about her rather than piloting. Episode 6 then rounded things off where on the verge of death he altered his purpose in life to not ever leave her side.

With that the Jian motif has become complete and if you go back to Episode 1 you hear it from Zero Two herself what it means to her. Look up what Jian means and suddenly you find out that a bond equal to marriage and life long dependency is a way of life she finds profoundly beautiful. She seeks that connection with someone. In this Episode 7 she calls him her wing which in context to the Jian means her other half, her soulmate, that does not sound objectifying to me but rather trusting and loving.

Yes she is possessive of him but why wouldn't she? She has lived god knows how long with partners that don't value her beyond a tool to perform outstanding on the field and even if she was to grow familiar and friendly with someone he would die after the 3rd time anyway. Now here is someone who for the first time finds the side that makes other people look in disgust at her actually attractive and who didn't leave her alone by herself after the 3rd time. Anything other than her clinging onto him would worry me.

I don't know about you but part of falling for each other is to get to know each other and that also includes wishes, goals, desires and more especially now that they have to depend on each other even on an official level. Heck, she even tries to soften him up so he would talk with her on a more down to earth level. She teases him and teaches him about what kissing means effectively telling him that she wants him to do the first move ( which he does not get at this point ). She has problems getting into the group, so she distances herself. When she told Hiro she would go swimming, she wanted him to say he would tag along, read the situation you know. But he didn't. To me she desperately tries to communicate and get closer to him on a personal level.

What you may see as fake and objectifying is to me a lonely girl trying to close distance between herself and the first person who sees her in a positive light and commits himself to her...problem is he's a unaware, oblivious boy who was raised to not know a single thing about physical or emotional intimacy.

Dr. Mech-Face Ossan (apologies I forget his name) even states in this episode not to give his emotions to Zero two because they will be eaten and my interpretation of that (and there might and probably will be many different meanings to that statement, both actual and metaphorical) is that falling in love or wishing to be loved by Zero Two isn't an outcome that can happen. Not the way Zero Two is as of right now anyway.

I don't think that interpretation is fitting at all.

We know that Zero Two is no blind follower of Papa and this whole cultic society. She does her thing and as long as she's left alone she abides on as much as she can..but we also see that she is absolutely willing to go against any rules or orders for whom? Hiro. And that's the key point. She has proposed twice to him so far to run away with her. In Episode 6 Dr.FranXX ( that's his name btw ) mentioned how Hiro might just be able to fulfill Zero Two's wish. What Dr.FranXX seems to be referring to here is that if Hiro falls for her and gives his all to her she will lead him down a path that collides with Papa, this society, his entire environment and possibly even his teammates. She will eventually take him with her, break out of this literal birdcage and be free, fulfill her wish and so on.

FappaFeb 24, 2018 3:17 PM
Feb 24, 2018 3:13 PM

Apr 2015
Troll12345678966 said:
How are the guys finding the swimsuits exiting?? It doesnt seem like they have been through sex ed, since they have no idea what a kiss is or how babies are made so seeing the girls «secret parts» shouldnt be affecting them the same way it would normal boys. Am i missing something here?

Just because they've been held unaware about any sense of physical or emotional intimacy does not mean their natural instincts can't kick in. That's deeply wired into our brains.

They view things differently since they aren't surrounded by media and people that influence them in these aspects which I think the show actually tries to make a point with because both Ichigo & Kokoro find media about things they weren't taught by the Adults. Still that does not mean they can't be attracted to the opposite gender.
Feb 24, 2018 3:18 PM

Feb 2018
I totally agree with Fappa.

Children must follow orders without asking questions.
Rebellions are forbidden, and they must believe what they are taught, whether it is the truth or not.
We see that the feelings are banned, while Hiro and 002 share visibly more than friendship.
For me, they are pawns.
002 is not a pawn, and Hiro can allow her to break this dictatorship.

Sorry if my english is bad ;)
TomloraFeb 24, 2018 3:22 PM
Feb 24, 2018 3:21 PM

Oct 2013
Enjoyable episode. The show is always at it's best when it focuses on the character's chemistry. The strong direction and attention to detail (Ichigo following Hiro's footprints) really helps fleshing out the character's personalities.
Feb 24, 2018 3:26 PM
Oct 2014
Fappa said:
Implyingi said:

Hey!

I'm heavily disagreeing with this. You want a revelation from Zero Two but we are not even in any position to see her inner thoughts yet. We're limited to the people she interacts with and how she present herself in front of them and as we know that's not exactly representative of what she truly feels. The closest we get to it is through Hiro's perspective and that has gradually become more and more intimate as he changed his goals and eventually became a wing for her in Episode 6.

I don't see how that degrades her view on him to that of a mere obstacle. She was interested in him, he made her realize that unlike all the others, he views her differently, she accepted him and forged a bond with him in Episode 1. Afterwards she tested him, ironically on exactly what you're accusing Zero Two of. Does he merely want to pilot a FranXX and she has the means to fulfill that wish or is it her that he wants? That's what was clarified in Episode 4, he wants not to pilot with anyone even if he could but with her. That was enough for her to know that he really cares about her rather than piloting. Episode 6 then rounded things off where on the verge of death he altered his purpose in life to not ever leave her side.

With that the Jian motif has become complete and if you go back to Episode 1 you hear it from Zero Two herself what it means to her. Look up what Jian means and suddenly you find out that a bond equal to marriage and life long dependency is a way of life she finds profoundly beautiful. She seeks that connection with someone. In this Episode 7 she calls him her wing which in context to the Jian means her other half, her soulmate, that does not sound objectifying to me but rather trusting and loving.

Yes she is possessive of him but why wouldn't she? She has lived god knows how long with partners that don't value her beyond a tool to perform outstanding on the field and even if she was to grow familiar and friendly with someone he would die after the 3rd time anyway. Now here is someone who for the first time finds the side that makes other people look in disgust at her actually attractive and who didn't leave her alone by herself after the 3rd time. Anything other than her clinging onto him would worry me.

I don't know about you but part of falling for each other is to get to know each other and that also includes wishes, goals, desires and more especially now that they have to depend on each other even on an official level. Heck, she even tries to soften him up so he would talk with her on a more down to earth level. She teases him and teaches him about what kissing means effectively telling him that she wants him to do the first move ( which he does not get at this point ). She has problems getting into the group, so she distances herself. When she told Hiro she would go swimming, she wanted him to say he would tag along, read the situation you know. But he didn't. To me she desperately tries to communicate and get closer to him on a personal level.

What you may see as fake and objectifying is to me a lonely girl trying to close distance between herself and the first person who sees her in a positive light and commits himself to her...problem is he's a unaware, oblivious boy who was raised to not know a single thing about physical or emotional intimacy.

I don't think that interpretation is fitting at all.

We know that Zero Two is no blind follower of Papa and this whole cultic society. She does her thing and as long as she's left alone she abides on as much as she can..but we also see that she is absolutely willing to go against any rules or orders for whom? Hiro. And that's the key point. She has proposed twice to him so far to run away with her. In Episode 6 Dr.FranXX ( that's his name btw ) mentioned how Hiro might just be able to fulfill Zero Two's wish. What Dr.FranXX seems to be referring to here is that if Hiro falls for her and gives his all to her she will lead him down a path that collides with Papa, this society, his entire environment and possibly even his teammates. She will eventually take him with her, break out of this literal birdcage and be free, fulfill her wish and so on.

well in all cases we need to wait for more hiro development and more 02 development, I think you're right saying that 02 is still waiting for hiro's moves
Feb 24, 2018 3:35 PM
Dec 2014
Implyingi said:
Ok, here's my take on things so far... (Skip below if you want a TL;DR)

Zero Two and Hiro don't work together (as a couple) and here's why I think that.

Zero Two doesn't see Hiro as a person, just her darling and there's a good reason for that. From the onset of the anime we've been presented with the premise that Zero Two and Hiro need each other as they complete each other, they are two halves of the same whole if you will. Zero Two is compatible with one other and it's Hiro. This is something Zero Two has been seeking for a long time, all those partners dead, the way people perceive her, it's all very sad and it's clearly had an impact on her mental state. Her desire to find the partner that won't die and allow her to be free is found in Hiro and to that end she has her eternal love, her "Darling".

Hiro is the other side of this parallel, Hiro perceives himself (as so do the majority) a failure. He has been raised to be a Franxx pilot something that is drilled into them form an early age, this however is seemingly the one thing he cannot do despite trying. Repeated failures and consequences of those have left him weak and down heartened. Here he meets Zero Two, a beautiful girl who is unlike any person he has seen before. Over the episodes that follow Hiro discovers his compatibility, manages to pilot and through Zero Two he is given the one thing he has striven for; piloting a Franxx to please Papa and help his friends and all through Zero Two, his missing piece if you will.

Here's the thing, turns out accomplishing that one thing you've been told to do is just that, an accomplished goal. Beyond piloting Hiro has become to feel for Zero Two and wishes to truly be by her side. He has seen different aspects of her personality, including times of weakness and wants to devote himself to this person. He has grown and gotten over the aspect of "I need to succeed piloting Franxx because I've been told that's what I'm supposed to do" and has progressed into developing his own reasons for doing that. Not because he is told but because he wants to be with Zero Two.

It's common for childhood friends to get cucked in anime and it's probably the same here but at this point Ichigo is winning the brownie points in the Hirobowl.

Closing thoughts: This could all change and I truly hope it does with as little heartbreak as possible. This is the first episode in which we see what I believe to be desire for Zero Two to fit in with the group (her staring at them from afar and having fun together). Perhaps she'll gain some humanity and realize her situation with Hiro and her treating of others up to this point has been nothing but somewhat cruel, especially if she feels no true sense of love for Hiro.

TL;DR
Zero Two is just using Hiro and the Dr's warning may actually be literal as she doesn't see him as a love interest but just means of achieving her goals.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, idk. Thoughts anyone?

Totally on point! Zero Two is the perfect image of a sociopath.
She can't conform to social norms, impulsive, aggressive and disregards the safety of others.
She is possessive as hell, she looks at Hiro like a "belonging" not like her love! She doesn't have feelings, she will drop Hiro the moment she finds someone better, she only toys with him as long as she finds it entertaining. That's why Doctor Franxx said Hiro not to let her consume his emotions because he will be left and forgotten by Zero Two. Even competing with Ichigo makes it more fun and interesting for her, just look at how she likes to tease Ichigo when it comes to Hiro.
She will turn sides when the time comes, I'm sure she'll be a 'villain' for a couple of episodes but in the end she will make up for it somehow and will be on Hiro's side.
I loved this episode very-very much because now we can see where this one goes. Like with Gurren lagann and Kill la kill we will see a mind-blowing turn of events in the second half of the show. I can't wait to find out more about their World and how they are misinformed about everything they knew and believed in!
Poor Ichigo won't get the guy. She'll constantly support Hiro "no matter what". I just hope she'll realize how much Goro cares for her and accepts that Hiro's heart only beats for Zero Two. I guess they just don't want to ruin the love triangle way too early.
Feb 24, 2018 3:38 PM

Apr 2015
What I also find very interesting how this episode builds a very intense contrast between fore and background.

On the foreground we have this seemingly happy beach setting with occasional fanservice that makes you just think of it as a happy go lucky SoL episode, nothing out of the ordinary.

But in the background it probably did the most in terms of foreshadowing rather dark developments and events that are hiding tantalizingly close beneath the surface.

Everyone seem to get along, bonds are deepened, new ones are made. The moral seems at its highest peak just how Ichigo says. After anxious and serious times it's the first time they could just "let go" but in reality things are worsening. What is slowly growing in the background are the seeds of discontent.

We have Ichigo & Zero Two clashing as they both hold dear feelings for Hiro, it will mean inevitable conflict between these three.

We have Goro who is starting to fall for Ichigo despite not understanding it yet. He will eventually clash with Hiro & Ichigo's situation.

We have the Kokoro/Futoshi/Mitsuru situation going on and on top of that the topic of pregnancy has entered the fray. What will happen once they learn about it? Will it spark a wave of doubt towards Papa & this system? Will it change how everyone views their relationship as team mates?

Zero Two and her self imposed isolation, her hesitation on getting into the group dynamic which is probably based on her knowledge that these guys won't have long to live anymore.

Mitsuru digging on information on what everyone's stance is on Hiro. He might become a problem later down the line if Hiro's doubt towards Papa keeps growing.

Zorome and his almost brainwashed dedication towards Papa and the strong believe that they will reach adulthood. This will obviously clash with Hiro's growing doubts sooner or later which is a juxtaposition to Zorome finally accepting Hiro in this very episode.

Ikuno's strangely open behavior around Ichigo which might actually lead into a subplot about her having feelings for Ichigo which in the eyes of this society won't work. Will she be deemed a failure and be disposed of if others find out?

There is this strange sense of unease now hanging in the air to which these character are completely oblivious to for the most part.
An episode that may seem rather happy and without clear direction on first glance is actually doing lots of work to lay the groundwork for many conflicts to come in the future.
Feb 24, 2018 3:41 PM

Dec 2015
I didn't expect a beach episode this soon, but at least it wasn't completely uninteresting. It made me wonder what exactly happened with the klaxiosaurs and if there could be survivors, living out there.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 24, 2018 3:49 PM

Feb 2018
pandidora said:

Totally on point! Zero Two is the perfect image of a sociopath.
She can't conform to social norms, impulsive, aggressive and disregards the safety of others.
She is possessive as hell, she looks at Hiro like a "belonging" not like her love! She doesn't have feelings, she will drop Hiro the moment she finds someone better, she only toys with him as long as she finds it entertaining. That's why Doctor Franxx said Hiro not to let her consume his emotions because he will be left and forgotten by Zero Two. Even competing with Ichigo makes it more fun and interesting for her, just look at how she likes to tease Ichigo when it comes to Hiro.
She will turn sides when the time comes, I'm sure she'll be a 'villain' for a couple of episodes but in the end she will make up for it somehow and will be on Hiro's side.
I loved this episode very-very much because now we can see where this one goes. Like with Gurren lagann and Kill la kill we will see a mind-blowing turn of events in the second half of the show. I can't wait to find out more about their World and how they are misinformed about everything they knew and believed in!
Poor Ichigo won't get the guy. She'll constantly support Hiro "no matter what". I just hope she'll realize how much Goro cares for her and accepts that Hiro's heart only beats for Zero Two. I guess they just don't want to ruin the love triangle way too early.

"She can't conform to social norms, impulsive, aggressive and disregards the safety of others. "

I think it's normal when everyone says she's a monster, and they only look at her by her abilities...

"She is possessive as hell, she looks at Hiro like a "belonging" not like her love! She doesn't have feelings, she will drop Hiro the moment she finds someone better, she only toys with him as long as she finds it entertaining. "

I still think it's normal.
Hiro is the first person among all those she found, who has a different behavior with her in her daily life but also inside the robot (3rd ride).

If you think that you will never find another person like him ... Inevitably, you will be possessive.
Feb 24, 2018 3:59 PM

May 2015
Honestly didn't expect a beach episode in this show, but fortunately, it felt more than "just another obligatory beach episode" in the end. Had some good moments.

Decent episode.

Feb 24, 2018 3:59 PM

Mar 2012
Nice and relaxed episode. Sooo hyped for what's to come.
Feb 24, 2018 4:00 PM

Jun 2016
That's a good obligatory beach episode. I never liked those kind of filters until this one...
Aside from the beach scenes, this episode pretty much explains that there is something going on outside the plantation. Can't describe how many clues did this episode has been shown but that makes up for the Extreme Feels Rollercoaster
By the way, Ichigo death/tragedy flag raised... plsdontletthebestcharacterdiealready
Feb 24, 2018 4:05 PM
Jan 2015
Its cute people still think Ichigo has a chance lol, her love is so one sided its not even funny. But hey, at least she has Gorro to fall back on.
My Queens

Feb 24, 2018 4:07 PM
Jan 2018
That has to be the first beach episode I've actually enjoyed in quite a while.

Despite having the obligatory fan-service shots and cliche beach lines, the surprising amount of character development and ep 6.5 shots really helped to keep the anime on track.

I'm not going to go into detail about the 002/Hiro/Ichigo triangle, but I'm fairly certain that will be resolved at some point in this arc, probably in a dramatic fashion (Death flags for Ichigo?).

On the topic of the oni-aids, I still don't think Hiro's entirely done with it. Especially with that ominous warning from the Doctor (who appears to have a single, covered horn. Don't know how I missed that before).

4.8/5 - I don't mind a bit of fan-service in my anime, but that beach ball scene felt a bit out-of-place.
Feb 24, 2018 4:10 PM

Jul 2016
1/5

Complete waste of time.
Feb 24, 2018 4:15 PM
Jan 2018
Vindicater said:
1/5

Complete waste of time.

*Insert your profile pic here*
Feb 24, 2018 4:21 PM

Dec 2015
Well just service in the franxx today , not that i mind . Ppl said a lot of deathflags , i’ll just keep it in mind , what pique my interest is the childbirth book lol
Feb 24, 2018 4:23 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Exactly the episode I wanted, delivered when I wanted... what a nice breakout from all the action.
There are still people in denial but I think this one proves it, this anime will easily become a masterpiece if it keeps it going.

Amazing episode, not only it was welldone fanservice and lighted hearthed in the first pace, then it catch up with a more mysterious vibe with the cast questioning the world surrounding them, why all humans left the surface, what is love.

The music was spot on this show, same for visuals, nicely done execution to, it truly feels like the studio is putting their all on this.

02 is still the star but other characters are also improving, I enjoyed alot of Ichigo in this episode and even felt a bit bad when 02 bullied her (02 is so fierce at times).

I m all in for 02 x Hiro, but Ichigo is definitly also growing in me, same for even the cast I disliked more.

This show is lit, and the reason while adaptations are enjoyable, we also need shit like this, originals that try to do something different and stand for themselves.

Brobot said:
Enjoyable episode. The show is always at it's best when it focuses on the character's chemistry. The strong direction and attention to detail (Ichigo following Hiro's footprints) really helps fleshing out the character's personalities.

Exactly, they nailed the action, but we were getting so much of it, I wanted to see an episode more like this, and they delivered with the same quality they did for action scenes, it has to be praised that they are putting this much care in every departament and not only the more flashy action scenes or pervy fanservice.
PlaycoolFeb 24, 2018 4:27 PM
Feb 24, 2018 4:27 PM
Feb 2018
Woah its ep 7 already?
Feb 24, 2018 4:29 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
jwinter01 said:
Last time I saw a a mecha anime, after the beach/onsen episode happened stuff also happened...
Just saying...

TTGL!!
FUCK, I hope that doesnt happen again. T_T
Feb 24, 2018 4:30 PM

Feb 2013
Ugh. It's THAT espisode...
Feb 24, 2018 4:48 PM
Nov 2017
Woo beach ep. Fan service galore. Managed to still keep a decent tone though. The kids seem to be somewhat wondering about their ignorance which is good and could become quite interesting as time goes on. When say they finally start questioning Papa etc.
Feb 24, 2018 5:43 PM

Sep 2017
Beach setting was very suitable for another character focused episode. The previous one - ep 5, had a totally different atmosphere, lots of scenes in enclosed spaces and that moment between Zero Two and Ichigo at night just as it started to rain. For the type of world and character building we were getting here though, open spaces and vibrant colours was the more suitable ambience.

For Zero Two I don't think we've even started with her development yet. She found the darling she wanted in episode 1, and is partnered with him by the end of episode 6. Now she has a long way to go before we find out if she ends up able to have stable emotional relationships, goes off in some other direction, or ends up having to reevaluate her initial motivations and goals.

Ichigo has made a lot of decisions already, had moments where she's been unable to keep it together and picked herself up again afterwards. However things go for her, I really hope she's able to maintain the same attitude at the end - all of them will probably be knocked down emotionally at some point and have to come back up. Right now she still wants what she wants, but isn't letting it control her.

For Hiro I think the majority of his development will alongside development for Zero Two, she's the new element in the mix, and the one who changes the already established relationships he has with the rest of the group. He still seems a little unsure and on edge around her, in contrast to Ichigo where he's so chill he doesn't even notice anything.

Goro was solid again as he has been in every episode, and the others all had their moments to further the connection and investment in them as characters. I'm still not sure about Mitsuru, but he did go looking for Kuroko and despite what he said, seemed concerned for her safety.

Pretty much all stuff that wouldn't have been delivered in an action episode, and wouldn't have worked so well in the plantation area that we've already seen.

I spent a long time today cutting an Ichigo render for a Delphinium wallpaper, but ended up using it with a shooting star/meteor theme as well. I'l linky them here in case anyone wants them

https://arcaedes.deviantart.com/art/Ichigo-Delphinium-Wallpaper-1-732616837
https://arcaedes.deviantart.com/art/Ichigo-Wallpaper-2-732624687

Preview

Feb 24, 2018 5:49 PM
Jun 2017
Not many Zero Two scene, just let me see her more.
Feb 24, 2018 5:49 PM
Feb 2018
ichii_1 said:
UMI DAAAA
What's the meaning of a kiss and finding an old city makes hiro have some doubts.
I'm kind of dissapointed that Ichigo n Hiro didn't tell the others including Zero Two that they already kissed once. 😢
Feb 24, 2018 6:15 PM
Jun 2017
I really hope that death flag is not for Ichigo
Fire Emblem anime when
Feb 24, 2018 6:21 PM

Jan 2017
Tomlora said:
OP changed a little bit.

https://i.imgur.com/jeuBjEQ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/4Hx7HQ9.gifv

The diamond is now black at the end while he was white before.

I dunno, it may not mean something... But if it does, going in line with the OP sequence; it probably has something to do with zero two being a femme fatale -as suggested by doctor franxx saying to Hiro that he should not let zero two consume his emotions
Feb 24, 2018 6:25 PM
Feb 2018
MethodMike20 said:
firemagnet said:

9. Ichigo's death flag has officially been raised.

If Ichigo dies, this show will be nothing to me. Not gonna watch her struggle and suffer just for her to die. Thats bullshit.
Ichigo die in episode 21 or 22. Hiro die in the last episode. Then we'll see an after-scene where they holding hand n kissing in heaven. Nice girl win in the end😁😂
Feb 24, 2018 6:27 PM
Feb 2018
DivineLion said:
I really hope that death flag is not for Ichigo
Tbh it does sound to be hers, but it could be Hiro's too since Zero Two already said the same thing to Hiro in 07:15... Unless that's probably Zero Two own tragedy flag?
Feb 24, 2018 6:29 PM
Feb 2018
Arcaedes said:
Beach setting was very suitable for another character focused episode. The previous one - ep 5, had a totally different atmosphere, lots of scenes in enclosed spaces and that moment between Zero Two and Ichigo at night just as it started to rain. For the type of world and character building we were getting here though, open spaces and vibrant colours was the more suitable ambience.

For Zero Two I don't think we've even started with her development yet. She found the darling she wanted in episode 1, and is partnered with him by the end of episode 6. Now she has a long way to go before we find out if she ends up able to have stable emotional relationships, goes off in some other direction, or ends up having to reevaluate her initial motivations and goals.

Ichigo has made a lot of decisions already, had moments where she's been unable to keep it together and picked herself up again afterwards. However things go for her, I really hope she's able to maintain the same attitude at the end - all of them will probably be knocked down emotionally at some point and have to come back up. Right now she still wants what she wants, but isn't letting it control her.

For Hiro I think the majority of his development will alongside development for Zero Two, she's the new element in the mix, and the one who changes the already established relationships he has with the rest of the group. He still seems a little unsure and on edge around her, in contrast to Ichigo where he's so chill he doesn't even notice anything.

Goro was solid again as he has been in every episode, and the others all had their moments to further the connection and investment in them as characters. I'm still not sure about Mitsuru, but he did go looking for Kuroko and despite what he said, seemed concerned for her safety.

Pretty much all stuff that wouldn't have been delivered in an action episode, and wouldn't have worked so well in the plantation area that we've already seen.

I spent a long time today cutting an Ichigo render for a Delphinium wallpaper, but ended up using it with a shooting star/meteor theme as well. I'l linky them here in case anyone wants them

https://arcaedes.deviantart.com/art/Ichigo-Delphinium-Wallpaper-1-732616837
https://arcaedes.deviantart.com/art/Ichigo-Wallpaper-2-732624687

Preview

nice artwork. But could you make another one with Hiro by her side or hugging her? 😆
Feb 24, 2018 6:34 PM

Jan 2017
Today's episode does not, in any way, reflect nor suit this anime's aesthetic.
One of the characters even said, "I'm surprised that this area survived the klaxosaurs."

What scares me though is ichigo...
She's been narrating the story for quite a while. Frankly. It gives me the chills.
It's like Armin in SnK... You just get the vibe that they're the survivor in some sense whilst the others have died.

On the other hand, it's jokes how there's a shift in power between Hiro and that the other guys when it comes to learning about kissing... And of all people, Hiro; he gets flustered as f**k when it comes to these sorts situations.

I love that chibi Zorome though, he's got that midget rage to him that I know all to well.
Feb 24, 2018 6:39 PM

Nov 2008
Ichigo continues to be the Narrator, so that suggests to me that she will survive until the end.

Right now I'm betting that Zero Two and Hiro stay together until the end and then they will either die together "gloriously" or "escape" together as Zero Two has already suggested a couple of times.

As far as the rest of the team goes, I'm betting on the "Betterman" ending for them. (Another strange anime with male/female teams piloting mecha, but much, much scarier than this series.)
Feb 24, 2018 6:42 PM

Sep 2014
I'm getting the feeling that Zero Two is going to pass away, for some reason. :( There are some shows that are similar if that does happen, but I don't want to name them because they may be spoilers for others.
Feb 24, 2018 6:58 PM

Dec 2017
what a dilemma, as a slice of life fan i approve the beach episodes, but not in this show, it just doesn't fit the genre
Feb 24, 2018 7:02 PM

Dec 2017
firemagnet said:
Notes as I'm watching the episode:

6. At 14:42. There's something much more profound going on here. The city (obviously Japanese) is mostly intact, so much so that there are still posters on the walls for the last product placement. Which begs the question: what happened to make people abandon the city like that? People don't abandon livable areas like that unless some sort of significant disaster occurs, like Chernobyl or Fukushima Daiichi. I can only imagine what would require such a cultural shift as to move from modern cosmopolitan to a quasi-cult where even the basics of romantic love have been forgotten.

7. 18:01 and here we have the seeds of doubt. What Mitsuru is saying is obviously the [i[Big Lie(TM)[/i] that's been peddled to them. Somehow, the Klaxosaurs are being created to enforce the cult, which is fueled by magma energy, not the other way around...the cast will undoubtedly find this out in due time.

I suspect that the reason Dr Franxx sent the children to the beach is for them to find out about human civilization and start questioning things. The plantation is how human are extracting energy from the Earth and transform the environment. The situation maybe like the movie Oblivion, the Papa are alien. They never show other people in plantation city though, maybe the plantation is just a huge machine and only a few people are guarding it.
Then somehow they find out the truth and start rebellion against Papa, Dr Franxx is the man behind all this. Like the Hunger games.
Im pretty sure that at some point there will be Franxx vs Franxx battle.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

331 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

37 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

66 by otakuanity »»
May 14, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

258 by otakuanity »»
May 14, 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.