Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 8, 2018 4:36 PM

Mar 2017
Are the light novels any different than the anime? A lot of people hate on SAO so I was wondering if the light novels are any better.
Feb 8, 2018 4:44 PM

Nov 2008
Well.........

I, for one absolutely love them. I do think they are better than the anime. There is a TON of world building, there is more explaining of things, there are more rational reasons as to why characters come to like Kirito and why Kirito has a lot of skill.

Best of all is Kirito's "first person" narration. You are placed in his head. And he can be very snarky and hilarious sometimes which makes him a LOT more fun to go on the journey with and you get to know him WAY better too.

Kawahara REALLY has a knack for painting a picture in your head with pretty words. Particularly just the way he expresses an action or scenery.

If you like that kind of writing, definitely go for it.

The official licensed version is better than the scans though.

Feb 8, 2018 4:46 PM

Mar 2017
Chiibi said:
Well.........

I, for one absolutely love them. I do think they are better than the anime. There is a TON of world building, there is more explaining of things, there are more rational reasons as to why characters come to like Kirito and why Kirito has a lot of skill.

Best of all is Kirito "first person" narration. You are placed in his head. And he can be very snarky and hilarious sometimes which makes him a LOT more fun to go on the journey with.

Kawahara REALLY has a knack for painting a picture in your head with pretty words. Particularly just the way he expresses an action or scenery.

If you like that kind of writing, definitely go for it.

The official licensed version is better than the scans though.
I was thinking about buying some off of Amazon or something because there fairly cheap and I have some extra money lying around.
Feb 8, 2018 4:49 PM

Nov 2008
Karma1303 said:

I was thinking about buying some off of Amazon or something because there fairly cheap and I have some extra money lying around.

Yeah, I say go for it. It's really the best way to experience the series. Be sure to get Progressive too; it has more stories from Aincrad. I really liked the first volume.

Feb 8, 2018 4:54 PM

Mar 2017
Chiibi said:
Karma1303 said:

Yeah, I say go for it. It's really the best way to experience the series. Be sure to get Progressive too; it has more stories from Aincrad. I really liked the first volume.
Alright ill get the first volume then
Feb 8, 2018 4:56 PM
Jan 2017
If you love the anime, you love the light novel and vice versa. I will said the light novel is more interesting in the depth they talk about technology versus the anime which is fine since it would be just boring exposition in the anime.
Feb 8, 2018 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
I’ve heard the LN is better than the anime. Haven’t read it for myself tho
Feb 8, 2018 5:39 PM

Nov 2008
nicethings said:
I’ve heard the LN is better than the anime.

You can just assume that statement is true for every single anime adaptation ever. XD

(maybe Toradora is an exception)

Feb 8, 2018 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
nicethings said:
I’ve heard the LN is better than the anime.

You can just assume that statement is true for every single anime adaptation ever. XD

(maybe Toradora is an exception)

Yeah, as a former reader of the DRRR LNs and a reader of the Raildex LNs I’m aware of that.

The former still had a shit “ending” tho, so I pretend it doesnt exist 🤢
Feb 8, 2018 5:52 PM

May 2009
Chiibi said:
Best of all is Kirito's "first person" narration. You are placed in his head. And he can be very snarky and hilarious sometimes which makes him a LOT more fun to go on the journey with and you get to know him WAY better too.

Oh?
Well this sounds like it'd be a step up from the narrator describing how pretty the girls are.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 8, 2018 5:58 PM

Nov 2008
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Chiibi said:

Oh?
Well this sounds like it'd be a step up from the narrator describing how pretty the girls are.

Lol Asuna is the only one he describes in detail and it's rather cute. It's like....a little cheesy and overdramatic but feels what a young boy in love would say. XD Unlike the shitty Twilight novels, it doesn't feel like the author projecting his own thoughts on Asuna but it really feels like Kirito just loves her that much. And it's not constantly mentioned either....to that eye-rolling point.

Then some of the other characters get their turn to be in your head. Liz's point of view on how much Kirito pisses her off at first is particularly funny....then switches to heart-warming as she bonds with him later.

Feb 8, 2018 6:02 PM

Mar 2017
Chiibi said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Oh?

Lol Asuna is the only one he describes in detail and it's rather cute. It's like....a little cheesy and overdramatic but feels what a young boy in love would say. XD Unlike the shitty Twilight novels, it doesn't feel like the author projecting his own thoughts on Asuna but it really feels like Kirito just loves her that much. And it's not constantly mentioned either....to that eye-rolling point.

Then some of the other characters get their turn to be in your head. Liz's point of view on how much Kirito pisses her off at first is particularly funny....then switches to heart-warming as she bonds with him later.
Do they show what happens during the time skips that were in the anime?
Feb 8, 2018 6:15 PM

Jun 2017
Alkabane said:
Chiibi said:

The light novel only shows the beggining (Anime's first episode) and then there's a timeskip of two years and the story continues (Aincrad's second half). Episodes ~2-6 (those episodic adventures with a bunch of time skips) were a extra volume with short stories that was published after Aincrad ended.
BUT there's the SAO Pogressive novels being published, a remake of the Aincrad arc without timeskips.
Feb 8, 2018 6:17 PM

Mar 2017
Daviner said:
Alkabane said:

The light novel only shows the beggining (Anime's first episode) and then there's a timeskip of two years and the story continues (Aincrad's second half). Episodes ~2-6 (those episodic adventures with a bunch of time skips) were a extra volume with short stories that was published after Aincrad ended.
BUT there's the SAO Pogressive novels beinf published, a remake of the Aincrad arc without timeskips.
oh ok, I'm interested in seeing if they make an anime adaption on the remake.
Feb 8, 2018 6:36 PM

Feb 2015
Personally I think they're just as bad if not worse... If you think SAO anime has bad pacing... Oh... Just wait till you read the novel...
Feb 8, 2018 9:53 PM

May 2009
Chiibi said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Oh?

Maybe I'll give the novels a try despite dropping the show, then.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 8, 2018 9:58 PM

Nov 2008
@GlennMagusHarvey

I hope you enjoy the first one at least. :3 I'll say this: "They got me into reading REAL books again instead of just manga which is something I haven't done since the good old days of Harry Potter ;3;"

Feb 9, 2018 2:14 AM
Feb 2018
In most cases, I've found the books for a movie/show/anime/whatever are typically better. So much more content, and as pointed out before it gives you the opportunity to get inside characters' heads much more. Content depth seems to go in descending order from anime -> manga -> novel. I prefer watching anime first though, as it's so much easier for action scenes to visualize. Plus it gives me a mental picture of the characters. I usually watch the show then go read the novel afterwords. It's great having the availability of content to consume that you haven't experienced yet.
Feb 9, 2018 2:20 AM

Nov 2016
I also wonder if the LNs are worth reading for someone who gave both SAO seasons lower than a 5.
Feb 9, 2018 4:21 AM

Nov 2011
Well, its the same story but there's more detail so things may make more sense that whatever happened in the anime.

While I love Alicization arc, I highly doubt the anime version will be as good if they try to cut corners.

Feb 9, 2018 8:35 AM
Aug 2016
Why not read them yourself and find out?
Feb 9, 2018 9:01 AM
Dec 2011
Eh, it's best to choose for yourself. Sure, there are haters but they're hateful comments amount to nothing. Pay them no heed, make your own choices.
Feb 9, 2018 11:45 AM

Feb 2015
A lot of users had been bashing the anime adaptation of the LN because it "skips" a lot of "good stuff" from the LN. Now, I dunno what the fuck that means since I also haven't read the LN.
Feb 9, 2018 12:09 PM

Nov 2012
Maybey, A-1 Pictures isn't known for making anime that surpass the source.
Feb 9, 2018 12:45 PM

Nov 2013
1. They're light novels.
2. They're Sword Art Online.

The only thing they're not terrible at is kindle.
Feb 9, 2018 12:46 PM

Apr 2016
Well if the fact that they are light novels is not something that drives you off, than you can go and read them.
Feb 9, 2018 2:33 PM

Jul 2013
I preferred it from the anime but the fairy arc was still terrible
Feb 9, 2018 5:56 PM

Mar 2013
My preference is the LN's, the original SAO arc in the novels is (Sad to say) more boring then the anime but from GGO arc onwards I prefer the LN's

Progressive is only at 3-4 LN's and I already recommend it way more, even though it's already pushing Asuna into a semi-useless girl already (Despite the fact Kirito has experience to lev 10 and Asuna is a noob they make her look to dependable)
Feb 9, 2018 11:00 PM

Apr 2017
I read it out of curiosity. It's about the same quality as the anime. Decent. Bit more detailed than the anime. Though. The 1st novel gets to the end of the Aincrad arc really quickly though damn.

Then the author realizes that he ended the aincrad arc too quickly so he made a second volume full of short stories/vignettes such as how Kirito met Silica and how Kirito met and joined that party

Basically, half of the first 12 eps of SAO were filler moments from volume 2.

Most LN's are shit, Spice and Wolf is the best of the best though
Feb 9, 2018 11:01 PM

Mar 2017
They're more detailed than the anime. Except, I found the Aincrad arc a little boring when compared to anime.

Also, the fact that it's from Kirito point of view, I found it hilarious. They're some hidden innuendos as well.
Feb 9, 2018 11:18 PM

Jul 2008
Personally I decided to skip most of them because I didn't like Kirito as a narrator. I did however read the Mother's Rosary novel, since that was my favorite arc in the anime, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

YMMV.
Feb 10, 2018 12:10 AM

Dec 2017
ive read the first 3 light novels there really good, but i havent been able to read the rest due to my library doesn't have them in at the moment.
Feb 10, 2018 9:15 AM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.
Feb 15, 2018 9:47 AM
Jan 2018
The novels are genuinely better than the anime, but, there is a limit to their greatness. Mainly there is a huge shift between the material that was in the anime and the one that will be in the future, I'm speaking about the Alicization arc. I have major issues with world building and character development there, the latter just grinds to a halt and in case of Kirito it actually goes backwards (which is even more infuriating).

Reading everything prior to Alicization is truly awesome, the only issue I have with it is that Liz, Silica, Klein and Agil have not much more development there than in the anime which is honestly not enough. After that you will need a heavenly dose of patience, tolerance and force yourself to suspend disbelief a lot. The premise is already testing the readers ability to suspend disbelief, the deeper you go, the more broken the story gets and since for 6 whole volumes aside from Kirito there is minimal inclusion of other known characters it's difficult to keep caring about the story.

I'm sure some people have higher tolerance towards half-thought-through pseudo-scientific bullshit and can get through Alicization just fine, but if you don't have that you're in for a very rough ride...

It's not all bad, some of the new characters are quite fun to read about, but if e.g. you liked how Kirito was progressing as a character in volumes 1-8 you might just feel something among the lines "who the fuck is this guy" at some points when reading volumes 9-14, especially in volume 14, fuck that volume... (I have not read further because of the pure crazy-eyed rage vol.14 provoked in me, just how fucking stupid was that fight ffs)

The new male co-lead is also a hit-or-miss, I personally hate him, but some call him "best boy" so I guess it's not impossible to like the guy. The new female lead is cool for me, but I bet some are going to call her a "Saber Clone" (you can screencap this, it's gonna happen).

To sum it all up, I loved volumes 1-8, the character interactions are absolutely magnificent and they made me smile and/or tear up numerous times while reading. Everything after that though starting from volume 9, even though I gave it an enormous amount of trust and kept reading, even though it has some truly great moments, even though it has some good characters and some good chemistry between them. Despite all those things, it's a chore to read and the culminations of some of the plot points are so ridiculous I had an urge to scream out of anger, to me anything beyond vol.8 is non-canon and didn't happen, until such time I come to terms with it and try to approach it again. Right now I cannot forgive Kawahara Reki for this atrocity of an outcome...

TL:DR - Volumes 1-8 are "must read" and are awesome enough to forgive them some little faults, everything beyond that is a hit or miss, you might just like it, I certainly didn't...
Mar 6, 2018 4:21 PM

Jan 2012
Progressive is really great. It's a manga from Asuna's perspective, with a slow pace. I like it because it shows Asuna's character and strengths a lot more than the anime, where she is cool but constantly needs to be saved. Since I'm up to date with Progressive, I'll give the LN a try, too.

Although anything with really good character interactions and romance plot, I would probably like.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.