Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 8, 2018 11:23 AM
Haruhiist

Sep 2016
On my first watch-through of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I made the decision to watch it in the original 2006 broadcast order (+Season 2). I was naturally quite confused at first due to the seemingly random jumps to different events. But after a few episodes, I made sense of the chaos and began to really enjoy it.

I believe any watch-through of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya should begin with The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00. When I first watched Haruhi, I was greatly confused by it, but I feckin’ loved it and was immediately hooked. “What is this? Is this anime about a film club? Mikuru beamu! Why is the witch girl tackling Mikuru? Was that a talking cat?!” These were my initial thoughts going into the series, and I’m glad I watched the series this way.

In the chronological 2009 rebroadcast order, the important exposition and most engaging part of the story is over in about 6 episodes, then it just becomes Haruhi and the brigade doing stuff. Sure, there’s an episode here and there that’s narratively important (including the infamous Endless Eight), but the majority of the episodes are comparatively mundane stuff. Then it ends on Someday in the Rain… which doesn't really feel like an exciting end, does it?
In the original broadcast order, the action actually feels like it’s rising, and ends on a high note, then you go on to watch season 2. That makes a lot more sense in my head.

I feel like watching the series in this order on my initial run ultimately made the experience more memorable for me. The confusion, the intrigue, and the payoff when I got to Melancholy Part 6; I remember my first run quite fondly. If you are watching the series for the first time or recommending it to someone, broadcast order is the way to go.
Feb 8, 2018 11:29 AM

Oct 2013
Nice try unpurist
the Great Cronus will forever deem chronological order the true path to enlightenment

As long as you enjoyed the show it doesn't really matter I guess
Feb 23, 2018 4:00 PM

Sep 2015
That's exactly my experience, you're 100% right.

Here's the broadcast order: 25, 1, 2, 7, 3, 10, 9, 11, 28, 4, 27, 26, 5, 6, 8, 12-24 -> The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Hint: It requires a rewatch, but it's worth it.
Mar 14, 2018 10:59 PM

Jan 2018
Draconix814 said:

Here's the broadcast order: 25, 1, 2, 7, 3, 10, 9, 11, 28, 4, 27, 26, 5, 6, 8, 12-24 -> The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

I realize this is an old post but I have to ask, do you think this order is better for someone like me who's never seen it? Or should I just watch it starting at episode 1?
Mar 15, 2018 3:25 AM

Sep 2015
Tubbyman said:
Draconix814 said:

I realize this is an old post but I have to ask, do you think this order is better for someone like me who's never seen it? Or should I just watch it starting at episode 1?

Yes, watch it this way. Broadcast order. It's like that for a reason, and it is also more fun this way. It just requires a little more paying attention to minor details to get the best experience, you'll notice flashbacks and conversations reference stuff you haven't seen yet, and it is fully intentional because it builds up the mystery, suspense (and excitement) one clue at a time by building off what you see in the previous episode.
The second season is a bit different, but I recommend watching the Endless Eight in one sitting, and if you could, also the Sigh arc...
Mar 15, 2018 12:45 PM

Jan 2018
Draconix814 said:
Tubbyman said:

Yes, watch it this way. Broadcast order. It's like that for a reason, and it is also more fun this way. It just requires a little more paying attention to minor details to get the best experience, you'll notice flashbacks and conversations reference stuff you haven't seen yet, and it is fully intentional because it builds up the mystery, suspense (and excitement) one clue at a time by building off what you see in the previous episode.
The second season is a bit different, but I recommend watching the Endless Eight in one sitting, and if you could, also the Sigh arc...

Alright cool, thanks for the help!
Feb 5, 2019 7:45 PM

Jun 2017
Now I'm even more confused weabs.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jun 8, 2019 10:21 PM
Apr 2018
Old post, but screw it. I watched it in broadcast order and it was fine for the first season, HOWEVER, when I got to the next one, it was an absolute mess. S2 episodes are set between S1' eps so it's not exactly a sequel and S1's high note finale is useless because of Disappearance, which takes place at the end of both broadcast and chronological order. The difference is that BO doesn't lead right up to the movie, something which watching it chronologically does.

And the mundane episodes are mundane no matter what. They killed the excitement imo as I watched them in the middle of important arcs.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

StabbyPWNS - Jun 30, 2008

175 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 3, 12:35 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

102 by Rahul_101 »»
May 22, 10:26 PM

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

35 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.