Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 5, 2018 6:19 AM
Jun 2016
So yeah, do I need to play it before watching? And If I do, do I have to play CCC?
Feb 5, 2018 7:31 AM

Oct 2014
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1702562
Through "Last Encore", I tried to make it something that feels different depending on whether you know the premise.

For the people who will watch this anime as their first "EXTRA" experience, I want this to be the starting point where they become interested in the original game and the comics (5 volumes in total, on sale from Kadokawa!)

For the people familiar with the original game, I want them to go "What...?" at the differences.

So people can have fun playing EXTRA after watching the anime, and people can have fun watching the anime after playing the game.

I hope we made something that can be enjoyed both ways.

Edit: @Vignette-chan Despite what Nasu said and now that 5 eps are out, Last Encore isn't turning out to be very friendly to newcomers. I think it would be better if you played the game first, this anime makes direct references to it and is kind of like a weird sequel to the game, you'll constantly find yourself wanting to know more, especially if you've been a fan of Fate source materials until now.

Fate/Extra game doesn't have the most exciting gameplay and it can be pretty repetitive and grindy, if that bothers you then you can watch a youtube playthrough or play it on easy mode, you'd probably want to pick Saber as your servant since this anime also has her.

I haven't played CCC and Extella so idk if this anime will touch upon those or not, but for now just playing the first game seems like a safe bet.
AdatiusMar 1, 2018 9:43 AM
Mar 1, 2018 6:53 PM

Jun 2013
Fate extra is boring and repetitive as said above. its not worth it. its good for fan service but a PSP game in 2018 is very whelming

i would say play Fate Grand Order instead if you are up for it. its a visual novel with RPG elements and its one of the most popular gacha games nowadays available in English

u dont really need to play any, but playing FGO would make u like Fate characters more and get to know them better

Mar 1, 2018 10:30 PM

Feb 2016
Extra is about $10 on PSN but you don't need any knowledge of it to watch the anime because it does a original story instead.

CCC is sadly Japan only so no luck on that
Mar 2, 2018 1:06 AM

Jun 2016
It's looking more and more like, despite what Nasu said, it's a distant sequel to Extra/CCC/Extella. So it's going to be confusing as all hell if you haven't at least watched a summary of them.
Mar 2, 2018 1:29 AM

Feb 2017
So far, it seems to have a self contained story. Of course their are some unexplained stuff, but the anime is still airing so people have to wait till it completely airs to say if it is a self contained story or not.

Just going to mention this here as most people don't seem to know/care about this. Despite the Fate name and Fate's perception in the west as an action anime, this anime was advertised as a mystery anime that wishes to surprise both newcomers and past players (the tags and anime description in MAL are copied from game assuming that this was an adaption when it's not)
Mar 2, 2018 2:10 AM

Feb 2018
Think of this anime as the Heaven's Feel route of Fate/Extra. You can read Heaven's Feel before reading Fate or Unlimited Blade Works, maybe even enjoy it, but it kills off a lot of characters and you won't get everyone explored to the maximum. Only certain characters get to shine, while others are left incomplete and treated as mere fodder.

Just like how you can fix that by playing Fate route and Unlimited Blade Works route, playing the games will fix that for Last Encore. It'll flesh out the characters that LE kills off quickly. LE only truly focuses on Hakuno and the setting, while the games flesh out the opposing Masters and Servants more.

Put simply, playing the games increase your appreciation of the story a lot, yes, but it is not necessary to understand it.
Mar 3, 2018 1:13 PM
Dec 2015
I just recently started playing the OG game and yeah, I think you should, but as some in this thread mentioned, it may be more on the grindy side.
And the battle system is literally rock paper scissors with every enemy type having a definitive algorithm of attacks that you must try to remember. I personally am really enjoying it, but it clearly is not for everyone.

Edit: I see the only Fate you've seen prior so far is Apocrypha and I must warn you, these are nothing alike. This is done by Shaft, the studio who are most famous for Monogatari series (LE's style is a lot like ).
If you decide to give Fate/Extra a go, you'd appreciate it far more if you read Fate/Stay Night VN or watched Unlimited Blade Works TV series before, however this is just optional and not required.
DurangaVoeMar 3, 2018 1:31 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
Apr 23, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.