Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 4, 2018 12:39 AM
May 2016
Is it really necessary to watch any of the other Fate series to understand this particular one?
If so, I have no clue what the order is. I have heard some say that they don't really connect, but I'm just not sure. Everybody is saying different things! @.@
Feb 4, 2018 1:34 AM

Oct 2014
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1681246

I've watched 1 ep and my answer remains the same for now, but I can't tell you for 100% sure since it was announced to be anime-original, even the people who played the game can't predict how it will go now.

Some characters from Fate/stay night appear in this, and it's nice to recognize them when you see them. so if you want to be safe you either watch UBW which can be just as confusing due to how it was adapted and it being the second of 3 routes total, or you read the entire FSN visual novel then come back to this, lol.

Edit: Watched ep 2. It would be better if you watched something else before this, it's not as newcomer friendly as I initially thought it would be.
It gives you an explanation of the setting, however, it's really fast and there are some details that were missed.
AdatiusFeb 6, 2018 4:35 AM
Feb 4, 2018 2:58 AM

Feb 2016
It would help at the very least to watch UBW (2014) since there are some FSN characters like Rin, Shinji and Kotomine
Feb 4, 2018 5:45 AM
Sep 2016
jy94 said:
Is it really necessary to watch any of the other Fate series to understand this particular one?
If so, I have no clue what the order is. I have heard some say that they don't really connect, but I'm just not sure. Everybody is saying different things! @.@

For the concept and additions to it....yes
For the story...no
1.1.Six
Feb 4, 2018 8:15 PM

Nov 2012
People would say you won't have to watch other series because they're not related.

However, I strongly suggest at least watch the mainline titles (Fate/stay night 2006, Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works tv series, and Fate/Zero).

Even though Fate/Extra's story is that of a totally different and parallel world with core elements being different, you still need to see them for some reasons which if explained will be spoiler.

They're good and enjoyable, just watch them.

And NO, you better watch the 2006's series. Leaving it out is a crime.
Feb 5, 2018 12:12 AM

Dec 2017
It has its own original story from the other Fate anime so not necessarily.

What it does have in common though is its premise, namely in the Holy Grail War, Heroic Spirits, Servant Classes, etc. I'd probably recommend watching at least FSN 2006 first at the very least so you can better understand the series' premise and background, but it's not really necessary.
Feb 5, 2018 12:28 AM

Dec 2017
Shayon said:

I've watched 1 ep and my answer remains the same for now, but I can't tell you for 100% sure since it was announced to be anime-original, even the people who played the game can't predict how it will go now.

Some characters from Fate/stay night appear in this, and it's nice to recognize them when you see them. so if you want to be safe you either watch UBW which can be just as confusing due to how it was adapted and it being the second of 3 routes total, or you read the entire FSN visual novel then come back to this, lol.

While that was a very well written post, I would honestly disagree with watching UBW 2014 first.

Disregarding the VNs and going solely with the anime, I think the best watching order would be:

FSN 2006, Fate/Zero, Fate Stay Night UBW 2014, then the upcoming Heaven's Feel trilogy. (I'd say watch the FSN UBW DEEN movie just for the hell of it if you want to, but UBW 2014 did such a great job of adapting UBW that it's not really necessary, especially since DEEN's version of UBW is essentially a poor man's version of Ufotable's UBW adaption.)

I'd recommend watching FSN DEEN 2006 first because even though it's not a perfect adaption of the Fate route from the VN and while it does have its share of issues, it does still do an admirable job of setting up the overall premise of Fate Stay Night, something that UBW 2014 lacks. It sets up the important characters that will be encountered in the other routes and adaptions, such as Shirou, Rin, Sakura, etc. And for other more obvious reasons, its production quality is much lower than that of Ufotable's adaptions and you just really can't go back to it after watching Fate/Zero or UBW first.

Fate/Zero is better watched before the other Ufotable adaptions as the story is set up in a way that it is better experienced before watching the other series. Even though it is essentially a prequel to DEEN FSN 2006 as well, the story of Fate/Zero is structured to where you should already have the knowledge of what occurred in the story of DEEN FSN 2006 first to fully enjoy its story. As a result, DEEN 2006 paves the way in to Zero, while Zero sets up the story for the other Ufotable adaptions.

Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Extra Last Encore do not really fit into the overall continuity so they can be watched on their own order, though they should still be watched after FSN DEEN 2006.

So all in all, watch FSN 2006 first before indulging in the rest of the Fate anime. Unless, of course, you decide to read the Visual Novels, which is obviously still the best way to experience Fate Stay Night, since the Fate route has never really gotten a full 100% adaption like UBW did with Ufotable's 2014 adaption.
shikinoutaFeb 5, 2018 12:31 AM
Feb 5, 2018 8:59 AM

Oct 2014
yourbraveshine said:
Shayon said:

While that was a very well written post, I would honestly disagree with watching UBW 2014 first.

Disregarding the VNs and going solely with the anime, I think the best watching order would be:

FSN 2006, Fate/Zero, Fate Stay Night UBW 2014, then the upcoming Heaven's Feel trilogy. (I'd say watch the FSN UBW DEEN movie just for the hell of it if you want to, but UBW 2014 did such a great job of adapting UBW that it's not really necessary, especially since DEEN's version of UBW is essentially a poor man's version of Ufotable's UBW adaption.)

I'd recommend watching FSN DEEN 2006 first because even though it's not a perfect adaption of the Fate route from the VN and while it does have its share of issues, it does still do an admirable job of setting up the overall premise of Fate Stay Night, something that UBW 2014 lacks. It sets up the important characters that will be encountered in the other routes and adaptions, such as Shirou, Rin, Sakura, etc. And for other more obvious reasons, its production quality is much lower than that of Ufotable's adaptions and you just really can't go back to it after watching Fate/Zero or UBW first.

Fate/Zero is better watched before the other Ufotable adaptions as the story is set up in a way that it is better experienced before watching the other series. Even though it is essentially a prequel to DEEN FSN 2006 as well, the story of Fate/Zero is structured to where you should already have the knowledge of what occurred in the story of DEEN FSN 2006 first to fully enjoy its story. As a result, DEEN 2006 paves the way in to Zero, while Zero sets up the story for the other Ufotable adaptions.

Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Extra Last Encore do not really fit into the overall continuity so they can be watched on their own order, though they should still be watched after FSN DEEN 2006.

So all in all, watch FSN 2006 first before indulging in the rest of the Fate anime. Unless, of course, you decide to read the Visual Novels, which is obviously still the best way to experience Fate Stay Night, since the Fate route has never really gotten a full 100% adaption like UBW did with Ufotable's 2014 adaption.

Watching FSN 2006 first could make you despise the main character. seriously, after watching it how does OP intend to get through another TV anime and 3 movies if they dislike the main character and have such a shitty first impression of him? Shirou in Deenstaynight seems like nothing but a misogynistic dumbass, the anime only shows his outer actions but completely dismisses to show you how his mind works, as a result he ends up looking like an idiot who has no clue how the world works and has no redeeming qualities for it either.

It also spoils things from the UBW and HF routes, Instead of just adapting the Fate route, Deen attempted to make it an adaptation of the entire VN to some extent, this means touching plot-points from the other routes that weren't supposed to be touched, in favor of making their anime more stand-alone.

The watch order has been discussed many times before without reaching a conclusion and every order has it's problems. You judged that the positives of watching Deenstaynight first makes up for the negatives, I judged the opposite, better we leave it there I guess.
Feb 5, 2018 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
Shayon said:
yourbraveshine said:

Watching FSN 2006 first could make you despise the main character. seriously, after watching it how does OP intend to get through another TV anime and 3 movies if they dislike the main character and have such a shitty first impression of him? Shirou in Deenstaynight seems like nothing but a misogynistic dumbass, the anime only shows his outer actions but completely dismisses to show you how his mind works, as a result he ends up looking like an idiot who has no clue how the world works and has no redeeming qualities for it either.

It also spoils things from the UBW and HF routes, Instead of just adapting the Fate route, Deen attempted to make it an adaptation of the entire VN to some extent, this means touching plot-points from the other routes that weren't supposed to be touched, in favor of making their anime more stand-alone.

The watch order has been discussed many times before without reaching a conclusion and every order has it's problems. You judged that the positives of watching Deenstaynight first makes up for the negatives, I judged the opposite, better we leave it there I guess.

I second his argument though, I know 2006 Fate has a lot of issues, but it really gives that mystical atmosphere that UBW lacks, maybe because of the great soundtrack it has; yeah, it may make you despise Emiya but still, he has the same personality in UBW, with some minor changes, so if you're going to hate him, you will hate him in any adaptation.

For example, that TV show introduced me to the franchise and I'm still into it.

I would also like to recommend this order if OP still interested.

Stay Night 2006 > Fate/Zero > UBW 2014
Feb 5, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2017
Shayon said:
yourbraveshine said:

I mean, to be fair Shirou is pretty much the same in all routes, just with slight differences. I wouldn't necessarily call him misogynistic, it was just his ideals being expressed in an exaggerated fashion. By the end of the series he actually does develop into something similar to UBW, where he sees how capable Saber actually is. Shirou is kind of an idiot in the beginning of all the routes, that's kind of the point for his development.

As for the spoilers, it's kind of a double edged sword no matter how you look at it. If you watch UBW first you'll be spoiled to some elements from Fate/Zero, if you watch Fate/Zero first you'll be spoiled to some elements from Stay Night, etc. IMO watching DEEN 2006 first is the lesser of two evils as even though it tried to incorporate too much from the other routes and made a mess, it still does the best job of all the Fate anime of introducing Fate lore to the viewer.

Okay, fair enough, it's really up to OP how he wants to watch the series anyway. I'm just giving my insight into it.
Feb 5, 2018 10:23 PM
Jul 2017
Can i watch this if i only watched fate zero?
Feb 5, 2018 11:17 PM

Jan 2017
To be fair, I didn't start watching the Fate series until last week. I've finished all (25) of F/Z, watched the UBW movie, and I'm over halfway through UBW series. (plus all the little extras-sidestuff-carnivalphantasm.

But I, nor people I've talked to about this, think it'll make a ton of difference if you haven't watched the rest of it.

Feb 6, 2018 9:33 AM

Jun 2013
Alone_Rider said:
Can i watch this if i only watched fate zero?

You can.

But your enjoyment from watching 2006 FSN, UBW anime and HF movies will be much less expressed becasue Zero spoils everything you would not know in FSN if you watch it first.

I can proudly say that I am one of the rare fans who go into series by watching 2006 anime first and not knowing Saber's true identity. When it came it blew my mind away. For most newer fans ( as in 2012 and onward ) that is ruined.
Feb 6, 2018 9:38 AM

Jun 2013
Shayon said:

Yeah... I will just say no...

People should start with 2006 first, at least until Ufotable makes a remake.

In short:
-it is not bad anime at all.
-Shirou is not hated becasue he acts the same in VN and nobody has problem there becasue we can read his inner thoughts.
-2006 anime does not spoil UBW an HF routes at all, that is urban legend that was proven false by people who actually played VN.
-Every Saber fan should watch it as it is essentially her own route and explains her much deeper than any other Fate anime.

So yeah, OP should watch this as well. And people who suggest to new fans not to watch it are only doing harm to the franchise as a whole.

Pretty much the only work I would say to avoid is UBW movie, because anime has much more time to explain entire story as it should.

Feb 6, 2018 10:37 AM

Apr 2016
Complete secondary here. I watched the first season of UBW, dropped the rest and then watched Zero. I'm inclined to say that you don't need much to get into Last Encore. Fate/Zero has a (double) first episode filled with all the exposition you need - which is the Holy Grail War concept. What you really need to get into LE is to give it all the attention you can spare while watching it. Experience with previous Shaft shows is strongly advised. While the show has a nice flow, you can miss important details really fast since exposition is kept to a minimum, and the story, unlike in ufotable Fate adaptations, will not be spoonfed to you.
Feb 6, 2018 11:21 AM

Oct 2014
BrotherCoa said:
-2006 anime does not spoil UBW an HF routes at all, that is urban legend that was proven false by people who actually played VN.

Sure

It totally doesn't spoil those at all, I remember having these things revealed to me in the Fate route of the VN.
BrotherCoa said:
Every Saber fan should watch it as it is essentially her own route and explains her much deeper than any other Fate anime.

Should watch it later if they want, but not first.
Feb 6, 2018 4:17 PM
Jan 2016
I'd say you can watch it without any prior Nasuverse experience. Sure, being familiar with some of the other iterataions may make this more enjoyable for you, but ultimately the Extra continuity is so different that there's not much for you to miss out as long as you pay attention to all the explanations in the show as far as how the 'world' they're in works and what's at stake. Any prior experience is mostly just an addded bonus to your enjoyment of the show.

Shayon said:
BrotherCoa said:

Sure

It totally doesn't spoil those at all, I remember having these things revealed to me in the Fate route of the VN.
BrotherCoa said:
Every Saber fan should watch it as it is essentially her own route and explains her much deeper than any other Fate anime.

Should watch it later if they want, but not first.

You both should just drop this. Deen's adaptation is legendary for having certain issues (among them the spoilers, which are there and their existance can't be denied), but the secondaries that started with it are still very fond of it. Both sides can attack/defend it vehemently until borement, but that's not relevant to this topic so it's pointless.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
Apr 23, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.