Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2018 7:04 AM

Oct 2017
Before I started watching I've heard that it's a great series that you'll want to rewatch..but now I cant wait for it to be over!
I was very interested in the plot when I read about it,but it's such a slow series and get's very repetitive. Currently,i've watched 20 episodes and I have 6 episodes left and I barely have any interest in it left at all,but I'm one of those people that wants to finish something when they start it.
Is it worth watching until the end? Does something major happen in the end?
Jan 19, 2018 7:11 AM

May 2015
Jigoku Shoujo is pretty repetitive throughout the series. It's only when you reach the last few episodes in each season where the plot begins to kick in. Might as well finish it. But whether you want to continue to the next season or not is up to you since each season basically does the same thing. Season 2 is good though...
Jan 19, 2018 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
Well, it depends: Do you personally like the concept of episodic anime or not? There are many more anime of this kind. ^^
It's quite unfair to judge an anime about what it should be. I mean, it was made to be episodic, but it has some overall plot and backstories here and there, especially in the 2nd season.
Jan 19, 2018 7:20 AM
Mar 2016
I have already dropped it it was really hard to continue the pacing is slow episodes are repetive and not interesting characters.
Jan 19, 2018 7:23 AM

May 2009
The first and second season were alright imo

Then again I didn't mind the episodic nature because I liked following Ai around at "work" lol
Jan 19, 2018 7:24 AM

Oct 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
Well, it depends: Do you personally like the concept of episodic anime or not? There are many more anime of this kind. ^^
It's quite unfair to judge an anime about what it should be. I mean, it was made to be episodic, but it has some overall plot and backstories here and there, especially in the 2nd season.

Yeah thats the thing tho,this is actually the first episodic anime that I watched so I wasnt sure what I was getting myself into,but now that I watched it I'm sure it's not my thing. I prefer plot heavy ones

Rogh said:
I have already dropped it it was really hard to continue the pacing is slow episodes are repetive and not interesting characters.

Exactly! The characters are oh so bland

Tarotist said:
Jigoku Shoujo is pretty repetitive throughout the series. It's only when you reach the last few episodes in each season where the plot begins to kick in. Might as well finish it. But whether you want to continue to the next season or not is up to you since each season basically does the same thing. Season 2 is good though...

Hm,yeah now that you mention that I'll stick around and see what the end is like. So far I dont see myslef whatching the second season lol

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NexuJan 19, 2018 12:25 PM
Jan 19, 2018 7:34 AM

Nov 2009
For an episodic anime, the MC has character development unlike Mushishi.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Jan 19, 2018 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
ReshmutGatazari said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Yeah thats the thing tho,this is actually the first episodic anime that I watched so I wasnt sure what I was getting myself into,but now that I watched it I'm sure it's not my thing. I prefer plot heavy ones

I guess, it's just not for you, but I also think that there are better episodic anime. It got weaker for me, epecially after the 2nd season.

But for Enma Ai and also Ren... I don't think that they are bland and imo, she is characterized through these little things she does and says between the lines. Can't remember it properly, because it has been 10 years or so since I have watched it, but her backstory should be in the 2nd season. ^^

Vyzass said:

Yeah, also this. But I don't think that Ginko needs any. He is just the observer.
Jan 19, 2018 7:43 AM
Mar 2016
Vyzass said:
well i don't know mabey i didn't like the atmosphere of the hell girl.
Jan 19, 2018 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
ReshmutGatazari said:
Rogh said:

Exactly! The characters are oh so bland

I haven't watched it yet, so I dunno how "bland" the characters are.
But the source material was published in Nakayoshi, which basically aims at girls bellow 13-14, ie the youngest audience of the shōjo category. From my experience of Nakayoshi or similar magazines (Ribbon, Ciao…), the characters tend to be pretty simplistic or one-dimensional with some exceptions (Ai Yazawa's works come to mind).
It's not expected to have complex characters or deep psychology in that kind of magazine. It's not Margaret, Hana to Yume for a more intermediate readership of shōjo, without speaking of the higher-audience like Flowes.
removed-userJan 19, 2018 10:11 AM
Jan 19, 2018 10:07 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah I dropped it too a while back... It wasn't that horrorish at all and just super repetitive... It got boring...

I would drop~
Jan 19, 2018 10:19 AM

Mar 2015
If a show ain't doing it for you, you drop it. Ditch the stupid watch-it-all policy.

lady_freyja said:
I haven't watched it yet, so I dunno how "bland" the characters are.
But the source material was published in Nakayoshi, which target 8-14 years old girls, ie the youngest audience of the shōjo category.

The manga is not the source material of anything.
If you look at the dates, the anime aired 2 days after the manga started serialization. And the mangaka is not credited on the anime's pages at all, not here, not on ANN.
It's just an accompaniment/advert to the anime series, which was most likely in production long before the manga was even considered.
Jan 19, 2018 10:32 AM

Feb 2015
While you're still on the EP01, please do so if you feel like it.
Jan 19, 2018 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
DoubleMangekyo said:
The manga is not the source material of anything.

Oh, I didn't pay attention to the dates. Thanks.
Jan 19, 2018 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
If the idea interests you, the individual plots, then I don't think you should. Don't rush. Watch an ep once in a while.

Tarotist said:

Season 2 changes things up?
Jan 19, 2018 12:25 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.
Jan 19, 2018 12:44 PM

May 2015
NihilisticLoner said:
If the idea interests you, the individual plots, then I don't think you should. Don't rush. Watch an ep once in a while.

Tarotist said:

Season 2 changes things up?

Season 2 delves more into the backgrounds of Ai and her supporters which make the stories more interesting. And her supporters have a more active role in the second season where they try and convince Hell Girl's summoner to not get revenge which makes you wonder if they'll do it or not. Other than that, it's pretty much the same repetitive formula.
Mar 12, 2018 8:49 AM
Mar 2018
The story could develop so much more that it did and it is very predictable the end of each episode. I watch all the seasons in hope if finding more meaning to it, but it was worthless. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, sorry :/
Mar 28, 2018 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
I kinda like the show. Feels like an anthology but with a little subplot connecting some episodes and making one big story around Ai and her assistants.

Actually, the only reason I like the show is because I like revenge stories and certain people getting what they deserve.

Can you at least see it through the season?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

79 by JoaoPedru »»
May 13, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

B25Mitch - Nov 2, 2008

72 by JoaoPedru »»
May 13, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.