Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Feb 12, 2018 3:03 PM
Jul 2016
For me it's one of the best anime I've ever seen. Amazing OST, animation, characters and history. I need a season 2.
Feb 13, 2018 11:52 PM

Jan 2009
damn cliffhanger ending, i hope there will be a season 2 of this since im too lazy to read its manga
Feb 23, 2018 6:02 AM
Nov 2015
I'm willing to wait forever. Please keep up the amazing art.
Feb 27, 2018 4:55 AM

Mar 2015
Oh good God what an ending to finish this season on! I really hope they work on a second season soon!! :(

I'll miss these hilarious gemstones and their personalities, and look forward to meeting more!

10/10, one of my favourites from 2017 for sure!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 4, 2018 3:15 PM

May 2012
Well this sure was something... but one thing is sure since I started this anime I disliked the horrible CGI and still find it horrible... I've got no idea why this even won the best CGI anime award from Crunchyroll but it's really awful in my eyes.

That aside, the story was a bit all over the place, some episodes were really decent and quite intense while others were just pure weak and meh.

So in the end I really did not like this anime as a whole, it lacked in various places and with such awful CGI I can't really say I enjoyed watching it.

However I am glad that I finished this, because if I didn't had any set rules, I would have probably dropped it by episode 2 already.
Mar 5, 2018 5:18 AM
Nov 2014
It was okay. For me the cg is the best thing about this show. If i was rating it solely for the animation it wouldve been a 10 no question.

Phos kept annoying the fuck out of me, but im glad they stopped being a usless piece of shit later on.

It wasnt a bad show but it wasnt as good as everyone was hyping it.

7/10
Mar 6, 2018 10:57 AM

Jul 2015
That cliffhanger though! Hopefully they'll continue and make season 2.
TheDashMar 6, 2018 11:06 AM
Mar 13, 2018 9:11 PM

Aug 2015
Houseki no Kuni is beautiful. So are blushing gems.

What a ride this has been. This show has elicited all kinds of emotions out of me, I can't wait for any sort of continuation we may get in the future.
Mar 16, 2018 5:43 PM

Sep 2011
I hoped for a more meaningful cliffhanger from this episode, but it was good nevertheless. I really liked the way Phos was trying to capture one of them so that they can talk. Did Cinnabar's power look like Phos's golden alloy because of the sunset? For a second there I thought Cinnabar acquired some new power :'D
Pretty sure Phos and Cinnabar are going to the moon, or at least will try to make contact and then go there.

- I did not expect to like this anime as much as I did. I was interested after seeing the trailer, but I didn't think it would have such an interesting plot and world, with all these details concerning gems and how they work here.
- I'm a bit disappointed in how much Phos changed, though it is understandable after the shock they went through, but I would have liked if they stayed a bit more like they used to be, and not just occasionally.
- The existential and other deep aspects of this show were quite interesting, and I wouldn't have expected such depth from this. I also liked how different and quirky every character was, some of which were also related to the gem they were (like Diamond being both beautiful and tough, but also insecure thanks to being easier to break due to their nature).
- I'm happy to see an anime were CG was correctly and amazingly used (and I don't mean occasional CG in anime, but the ones almost completely made with CG). The hair of the gems and the action scenes were all excellent, and very well made.

I'm giving the show an 8/10, and I hope a 2nd season will come later, although I might start the manga in the future if there are no signs of a new season.
Mar 27, 2018 12:32 AM

Dec 2012
231 years?
Back to sleep.
lol at Zircon.
It has eyes.
It can talk?
Cinnabar interrupted.
Phos needs Cinnabar.

And that was the end. It was better than I expected.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 27, 2018 8:05 PM
Oct 2017
I hope a season 2 will be made, because I need more of this wonderful series.
Apr 5, 2018 9:38 AM

Jan 2013
I feel like I've watched a different anime than most of the people here, hell I should've dropped it after the 4th episode when I already started to feel that it's not going to be anything interesting. But I though that maybe something happens later, something that hooked so many people, but nah. This last episode was such a chore to watch. Nothing was explained, the anime had no specific direction, hell I feel like nothing has changed since the 1st ep, only that Phos randomly got new limbs and also a mental scar to force some developement to make her/him/it look like he/she/it's always bored. Events had absolutely no meaning, like she was swallowed by a snail and it made her learn they speach and what? Nothing. A lunarian randomly got turned into puppies and sensei made some weird comment forshadowing a mystery and what? Nothing. Some things meant to be flesh are supposedly kidnapped and kept on moon and what? NOTHING. A gem woke up after 200+ so they can chat for 2 minutes and what? NOTHING. I'd normally expect events in a show to have some meaning and actually influence something, but nah not here. I just can't. I won't even write about how dull the characters were, I'm done.
Apr 16, 2018 12:43 PM

Nov 2012
FUCKING UNDERRATED MOTHERFUCKER

Do you like Geology?
Do you like cute characters?
Do you like little masterpieces ?
you came to the right place

this is the type of anime that by the time you realise it, you already finished the whole episode bcos you cannot remember you had pressed the next episode button. this make me sooooo hookeddd.
Apr 20, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
CGI...feels like playing with lag lol.
7/10.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Apr 22, 2018 5:53 AM
Sep 2017
I would have give it a much higher score if the show didn't end with the cliffhanger. The initial part of the story felt slow and dull. Phos was a very annoying character. It changing into a sort of better character was the only thing which was the only good thing which came out at the end. A little info about the relation between Shiro and Sensei would have been nice. The CGI was amazing imo and hoping for another season.

6/10
May 1, 2018 4:53 AM
Jun 2014
Main char had plenty of development, but the plot kind of went nowhere. Can't get myself to give it more than a 6/10 since it was somewhat enjoyable nonetheless.
May 16, 2018 10:58 AM
Jul 2015
I feel sorrow for the lonely cinnabar. Oh my, look on how she blushed, so gorgeous <3 Also i missed the old cute & spoiled little phos.
May 17, 2018 2:24 AM
May 2018
I absolutely loved this anime. It's just so beautiful, I can barely handle it
May 18, 2018 2:04 PM

Jun 2012
Bizarre, enthralling, intelligent, poignant, and fun, I need a 2nd season of this show yesterday

-Gold, heavy and malleable. There's something appropriate about Phos' body becoming such. And in many ways our lead is ahead of everyone else, with the capacity to bend but never break carrying the weight of something they all suspect

-And not just with Adamantine, but needless to say the Lunarians aren't all..."bad"

-It ends right as Phos and Cinnabar are about to team up. It didn't go the way either of them intended, and the bright-eyed idealism is long gone. But after everything that's happened, a rough-edged conclusion such as this is quite appropriate
Aug 17, 2018 12:59 AM

Jan 2016
What an incredible show that tantalises all the senses. The OST and visuals are all beyond amazing. The world they've created seems so stoeck but yet is filled with so much life.

No idea what the season 2 plans are but I think I'm going to cave and dive into the manga. I'll miss the grand yet elegant OST dearly.
Sep 13, 2018 4:00 AM
Sep 2017
Gonna miss that diamond
Sep 18, 2018 5:46 PM

Jan 2013
Cool how the finale mirrored episode one
Sep 23, 2018 10:01 AM

Sep 2011
From cheerful Phos to dead inside Phos.

Damn cliffhanger ending. I think this series isn't for me because I just couldn't grasp the story or maybe it's just because there are lots of questions on this series. At least it's engaging because it makes me curious about lots of stuff and want to know the answer. This better have a 2nd season.

Sep 28, 2018 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
Oh my God, that cliffhanger...REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I need more of this. A second season, a movie, OVA. Anything will do, I just need more! Just like with Little Witch Academia, I also fell in love with this show, and that's something rare. I really hope they give it some form of closure in the future.
Dec 13, 2018 5:47 PM

May 2013
Dammit, it's over TT^TT

I loved this anime sososo much.

Wish Ruby was conscious for a longer period of time ;A; she was just oozing amazingness so effortlessly <3

There was a lack of including the other gemstones, but Phos developed well :') and I'm glad this anime set itself apart by not making Bort jealous of Phos' upgrade and how it's a breathtakingly beautiful CGI anime. The storyline is unique. I always felt a little nervous when the Lunarians showed up bc of the music LOL. Soundtracks were nice.

All in all,
10/10

I would've normally docked off a point if an anime neglects its side characters too much or introduces a new character last minute who falls short bc there's not enough eps left to develop them, but for this anime, it just straight up deserves a 10 haha xD Plus, Rutile already explained before that Ruby doesn't keep her consciousness for very long, so it was perfectly fine in this case

The way they did the cliffhanger was a very gentle rise :) I don't feel any frustrating hype, which is nice hehe ;P

Hoping for a S2 *O*
Kokoro_KotashimaDec 13, 2018 5:53 PM
Jan 9, 2019 2:42 AM

Oct 2012
I always like a story where it end like when it all started
I mean it's not exactly ending, but well

I'll miss all glorious female seiyuu voices in this anime, what a treat xD
I wish there's an event for this anime.. oh wai-
"Signature removed"
Jan 30, 2019 6:29 PM
Apr 2018
Well, the cliffhanger was expected but I felt the episode a bit boring.

Overall, I liked the action scenes and the gems' butts, the world was quite interesting with a lot of mysteries. I hated how they changed Phos: such a boring facial expression and attitude to me (although I kinda understand. Kinda), the rest of the characters weren't as appealing as her.

Looking forward to a season 2.
Feb 4, 2019 12:59 AM

Nov 2013
Ahh I feel so empty after finishing this series, time to read the manga,..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Mar 22, 2019 1:51 AM

Aug 2014
Binged watched it all today. Very interesting and different from what I'm used to. Definitely hoping for a season 2 or I'll have to look into the manga and get some progression there. Cliffhanger is kind of a bummer, but I'm hope this means they plan on continuing it in the near future. I'd give it a solid 7/10.
Mar 29, 2019 10:10 AM

Mar 2015
YoJerm said:
Binged watched it all today. Very interesting and different from what I'm used to. Definitely hoping for a season 2 or I'll have to look into the manga and get some progression there. Cliffhanger is kind of a bummer, but I'm hope this means they plan on continuing it in the near future. I'd give it a solid 7/10.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I got really invested in Phosphophyllites journey and lack of conclusion is really bumming me out. Might in fact need to pick up the manga.
Apr 3, 2019 10:12 PM

Sep 2018
The ending was so hanging.

Girls are so cute, their outfits are cute but I notice the shots were over sexualizing the girls lol there are weird camera angle and all .
I'm angry when Lunarians capture Antarcticite. (I like her character)
Phos old self is troublesome but funny, I'm happy she became strong but she's not her old self anymore :(
I feel sad for girls for always fighting Lunarians but Sensei seems a villain too, he keep secrets.

So many questions, no revelation until it ends :(
May 16, 2019 1:53 AM

Apr 2015
Amazing anime. Everything about this anime is great, especially the characters.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 27, 2019 12:56 AM

Oct 2013
Contrary to the post above mine, the worst part about this show to me was the characters. I felt like we kept jumping back and forth between different characters like whiplash and the only constant was Phos. At least she got some level of development, even if she was a useless Pepega for the first half of the show.

This anime kept me interested until the end, despite much "what the fuck" moments and only getting some semblance of direction towards the very end. Basically, I found myself thinking "this anime has potential" just as it was ending. The classic example of an anime being a mere trailer for the manga.

It feels like there's supposed to be some deep symbolism here, but either I'm too dumb to see it and it possibly doesn't amount to much of anything, or it's simply too cryptic for any real depth to be gleaned from it.

The CGI was oftentimes cool, despite some awkward character movements. Many wallpaper-worthy screenshots and dazzling effects, as well as some very cool fights/sequences.

All in all, a decent watch but I wish there was more direction, focus, and that it didn't end just as things started getting interesting. 5/10
_AisuMay 27, 2019 1:05 AM
May 27, 2019 12:58 AM

Oct 2013
ok, after marathoning this over two sessions, my thoughts on the good:
- The art & animation was very impressive. Took a few episodes but it really grew on me. Some very impressive stills.
- BGM often stood out; that's always a plus.
- Setting and lore (what little we got of it, anyway) were certainly unique.
- The flashes of character introspection and religious themes were exciting.
- Phos grew into a developed, likable character.
- Sensei is neo-Gendo, which is a cool twist.

and the bad:
- entire anime is a 12 episode trailer for the manga because it ends just when it's actually starting to get exciting and the "plot's" gears are finally beginning to turn
- THE FUCKING ANIME SCHOOLGIRL MEME TROPES

It became clear to me during the epilogue when we saw all the characters being anime schoolgirl memes that this is it, this is why I had a hard time getting into this show.

This moe anime girl meme is ruining anime TBH. I get the feeling the entire anime community trend-hops according to cute girl shit and when you get a cute girls doing cute things anime with phantom depth like this show it's "omg AOTY." Which is ironic, because I can get into a good cute girls doing cute things show within its own context, but the stuff in, like, this, or Sora Yori, ends up forming a sore dichotomy that just does not gel. Instead, we end up with something trying to be neo-Evangelion except all of the meaningfully complex, dynamic & believably weak characters are replaced with the cast of every moe anime released between now and 2012.

And the entire supporting cast of characters are absent for most of the show and are very poorly characterized beyond their obvious one-dimensional, excessive, idiosyncratically anime bullshit over-the-top, superficial quirks. None get enough screentime to rise behind those quirks, either. Cinnabar was looking like she's an integral, plot-centric character but then she disappears between episodes 1 and 12 except for a couple of times she saves Phos' life again and the anime ends right when it looks like she's actually going to become important. RIP

Diamond was cute though. I liked Diamond. Not because she was any better written, mind; just because I like her brand of moe. And she had vibrant hair.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 29, 2019 3:38 AM

Dec 2017
I sincerely hope there's a second season, because as much as I loved this series' story and world building, it really needs a continuation to continue the plot it established, otherwise the ending it leaves off at simply won't do. I really hope it doesn't leave off as a typical "read the manga ending" because I feel this story was best experienced with its beautiful art and music. A story with such a fascinating established world and plot deserves it. A second season is a must!
shikinoutaMay 29, 2019 3:41 AM
Jun 1, 2019 10:42 AM
Dec 2017
So it ended with the classic "go read the manga" finale. Overall I thought it was okay. I give this series extra points for having lots of potential and trying something different. score 7/10.

If there's ever a second season (which I doubt) movie or OVA I would watch it.

Houseki no Kuni has some similarities with Steven Universe. Yes I know they're two very different stories. But I can't help but wonder who came up with this Gem idea first.

Jul 23, 2019 1:23 AM

Jun 2015
Ended on a big cliffhanger. I am glad the quality stayed throughout the whole series.
:)
Aug 31, 2019 4:18 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
An unexpected calm and rather melancholic episode, quite enjoyed it.
Really liked mystery presented so far, really really have to go read the manga now, but hopefully we get a S2.

It is rather hard to put in words but I really grown to like the setting, it is very unique, and filled of interesting characters, also props to composer because the sound was just superb here.
Phos metamorphose was when the series started to feel a bit more mature, with her now having to deal with all that, and now teammate with Cinnabar (cute blush there) to unravel the truth being this world, I m very much invested on this series now.

Trying to do something as different and unique as Land of Lustrous definitly paid of for the mangaka, what an wonderful time I had seeing the anime.

9.2/10 = 9
Oct 4, 2019 1:52 AM

Oct 2009
BIGGG cliff.
RIP. Season 2 please ;-;

Hoping to see more Phos and Cinnabar in action. and the anime ended. i cri ;-;
Dec 1, 2019 12:16 AM

Jan 2011
first cinnabar made small phos now phos makes small cinnabar- omg she still keep phos' note!
Kiss her Phos!

PS: As the time of writing this D.O recorded 51 doujinshi of this series, Suruga have 101 with the most recent published November. And among those all only 4 is uploaded in e-h. with 32/101 avaliable in Suruga.
If anyone know upcoming Houseki no Kuni doujinshi for comicket, post it into my wall, I might pick it up

5/12 3 unscanned R18 avaliable in suruga, one of which is Amethyst x Phos novel
HyoroemonDec 4, 2019 2:26 PM
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Dec 28, 2019 4:37 AM
Nov 2016
Just finished this anime and it had potential but as the episodes kept going I kept losing interest in it. The only good thing about this anime is the visuals, Orange studio really knows how to make use of the CGI so they were spectacular with it on this anime.

Unfortunately this had other problems like a mediocre uninteresting story that dragged that didn't got anywhere, lacking good emotional moments (I couldn't care less about what happened with that "Ice Boy", the emotional moments were cringie), it had lots of unfunny jokes at unappropriated times (which got old pretty fast) and the OST was mediocre, the animation is the only good thing I can come up with.

4/10
xZabuzaxDec 28, 2019 2:51 PM
Jan 11, 2020 1:46 PM
Jan 2018
just because this series has gems doesn't mean its anything like Steven universe
Jan 24, 2020 2:46 PM
Dec 2018
Zadion said:

And the entire supporting cast of characters are absent for most of the show and are very poorly characterized beyond their obvious one-dimensional, excessive, idiosyncratically anime bullshit over-the-top, superficial quirks.

It's almost as if every gem besides Phos can't actually change or develop as individuals. Almost as if it was done on purpose.

:thonk:
Jan 24, 2020 10:06 PM

Oct 2013
jaw201 said:
Zadion said:

And the entire supporting cast of characters are absent for most of the show and are very poorly characterized beyond their obvious one-dimensional, excessive, idiosyncratically anime bullshit over-the-top, superficial quirks.

It's almost as if every gem besides Phos can't actually change or develop as individuals. Almost as if it was done on purpose.

:thonk:

I don't know how it being intentional makes it less of a con.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 25, 2020 9:04 AM
Dec 2018
Zadion said:

I don't know how it being intentional makes it less of a con.

I'm trying to say that the lack of the ability to grow/change is a major theme in the series. All gems (besides Phos) stay the same from when they are born. Their personalities don't change over time like humans. The gems themselves are stagnant, and that becomes more and more important as the series goes on. As a gem, Phos is special because they can actually change as an individual and develop as a character.
jaw201Jan 25, 2020 12:01 PM
Jan 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Aug 2018
What a wonderful series.

Am I the only one who liked Phos' original appearance better? I understand they had to grow and change (hell; that's the theme of the whole season), but I miss innocent Phos' look.

Season 2 please.

9/10
Set SCE to AUX
Jan 26, 2020 6:23 PM

Nov 2011
12 episodes to end up with a cliffhanger.
So much to explain and not even a single clue was given in the end.

I don't read mangas so now I have to wait years to get answers (if we ever get a 2nd season). The show was decent, deserves a 8 imo, but this major ouside-of-the-anime-itself problem makes it frustrating so 7.

From now on, I'll probably check if an anime has (or will have) a second season or everything explained in one before starting it.
I'm a cat
Feb 25, 2020 10:02 AM
Jun 2019
Without a doubt, a work of art. A unique and beautiful animation style, very beautiful, especially the hair in contrast to the live scenes. Great world-building, soundtrack, unique characters and well characterized, one of the best character cores I've ever seen. Just perfect, 8/10. Phosphosphylite is one of the best characters ever written.
Mar 1, 2020 1:13 AM

Apr 2015
pls season 2 I need it
Mar 5, 2020 7:17 AM
Jun 2019
Ugh. I finally got around to watching this and boy... the lack of a second season hurts. I’m glad Beastars is getting a second season, but I don’t know if it makes Houseki more or less likely to get one..?
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» The opening is a masterpiece

meyve - May 14

17 by m4th_tuberculose »»
May 16, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

110 by chandlergray »»
May 16, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

107 by ViSpace »»
May 14, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2017

104 by ViSpace »»
May 14, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

210 by ViSpace »»
May 13, 2:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.