Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2017 4:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was an interesting finale...seeing Phos interact with Padparadscha after the recent events as the characters is now awake. (although I wish it was a bit longer)

The episode still make time to give some of the others their moments. With the action settled, the world looks more in harmony in this point. I really like the world setting as it's one of my favorites this season.

I grew to accept Phos change ever since her personalty dramatically hardened like a hard gem. Good show overall. Kinda wish this was more popular but it's definitely an underrated gem (no pun intended) of the season.
Dec 23, 2017 4:58 AM

Mar 2017
Everyone's already using the gem of the season pun :I

I'd look like a copycat if I use it now.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Dec 23, 2017 5:27 AM

Dec 2015
What beautiful art... I love how they ended with the orchestral ver. of the OP. I was hoping for them to shed more light between Sensei and the Lunarians but it looks like there is still a lot of room for another season, looking forward to it :-)

Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
This was an interesting finale...seeing Phos interact with Padparadscha after the recent events as the characters is now awake. (although I wish it was a bit longer)

The episode still make time to give some of the others their moments. With the action settled, the world looks more in harmony in this point. I really like the world setting as it's one of my favorites this season.

I grew to accept Phos change ever since her personalty dramatically hardened like a hard gem. Good show overall. Kinda wish this was more popular but it's definitely an underrated gem (no pun intended) of the season.

What channel did you watch this on? Tokyo MX seems to show some at a 30 min delay
Prim3Jan 16, 2018 2:19 AM
~
Dec 23, 2017 5:37 AM

Nov 2011
Touka__Kirishima said:
What channel did you watch this on? Tokyo MX seems to show some at a 30 min delay

At-X.

Nothing was announced for this show in the aftermath btw. Very expected but oh well.
Dec 23, 2017 7:30 AM

Oct 2012
Just beautiful. I need S2.
Dec 23, 2017 8:00 AM
Apr 2017
Waiting for Season 2
Best show in the season 9/10
I suspect the Sensei know what's Phos thinking n doing, but he allowed it to be happen
Maybe because his waiting for his judgement day...
Dec 23, 2017 8:32 AM

Feb 2014
Hope this is not delayed by Anime Strike.
Dec 23, 2017 9:11 AM
Nov 2017
Stark700 said:

they changed some timelines and character interactions;according to manga,it hard to end the original plot in 12 ep.
But it's potential to set for Season2,and it's popular in Japan,too.
Dec 23, 2017 11:31 AM

Jun 2015
Padparadscha was awake for a while and had an interesting conversation with Phos. Phos interaction with that one Lunarian was interesting as well. It looked like it wanted to say something. Phos asked Cinnabar for help to uncover the truth about Sensei and the Lunarians, but it didn't work out. This was a decent show overall. The CG was good though.
Dec 23, 2017 12:03 PM

Sep 2011
GAAAAHH I WAS AFRAID OF A CLIFFHANGER LIKE THAT!! It doesn't sound like there's been a season 2 announcement, I don't think I can wait for one, especially after the spot they left us off on... I might have to pick up the manga.

This was such an incredible show, I wish more people knew about it and that it wasn't behind the double-paywall of Anime Strike that will absolutely deter some people or drive them into watching illegally. I'm honestly not sure whether I should call this or Inuyashiki my anime of the season, I loved them both but I got such different types of enjoyment out of them that I'm not sure how to compare them to each other...

Either way, I'm sooo glad I watched this, and god I hope it gets a season 2.

One small question though: was the clipboard that Cinnabar had in her little cave the encyclopedia Phos had started working on? I think I remember her collecting the pages of that, but I'm not confident... Though I don't want any spoilers, so I only want to know what we can say about it based solely on this season...
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 23, 2017 12:07 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Wow to think that she's been asleep for around 200 years though. Thats one hell of a wish that Phos has though. To be partnered with Bort though can be a honor i guess. The rotation with Bort though is an interesting way to allow the new partners to gain experience though. So gems get education before their assignment huh. I guess in a way there are few gems that don't bear hatred towards the lunarians one way or another. Cinnabar running away from Phos though was hillarious. So Phos is determined to find the truth about this struggle and determine whether the master was lying huh. The last scenes of watching the everyday interactions between the gems was cute though. Hmm an interesting finale and with that ending i wonder will there be a sequel.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2017 12:15 PM

Jul 2017
anyone know where this last ep leaves off in the manga
Dec 23, 2017 12:19 PM

Nov 2014
The ED is so nice.
My only wish at this moment is the continuation of this Best of Fall 2017 anime.
Dec 23, 2017 12:24 PM

Sep 2015
I really liked this show, a 9/10 for me, so much so that I went and read the Manga and bought all volumes that are out now. I'm somewhat sad that no one I knew seemed to really talk about it. I really hope for a 2nd season, there would be enough material to make one more season

P.S. For anyone who wants to pick up the manga where the anime left off. You can start with chapter 32.
Dec 23, 2017 12:27 PM

Dec 2010
Zerity said:

Chapter 32, they change some events from the manga, like twins killed the tsukijin and not shinsha and added filler dialogues and scenes. The manga art improved a lot so you should give the manga a try, i'm surely read it from now on (is scanned till chapter 62).

Overalll is a good serie, 8/10, but i doubt they will do a second season with this finale even if there is a lot of chapters left to animate.
Fn76Dec 23, 2017 12:35 PM
Dec 23, 2017 12:28 PM

Nov 2009
This show was the best surprise of this fall and it desperately need a second season!
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 23, 2017 12:29 PM

Nov 2017
That finale... I want a S2 right now damn. Anyway, we're in front of a great masterpiece.
Dec 23, 2017 12:32 PM
Sep 2017
Zerity said:

Caretoffel said:

P.S. For anyone who wants to pick up the manga where the anime left off. You can start with chapter 32.

Chapter 32 seems like a good start, since episode 12 kinda went all over to wrap things up nicely
Dec 23, 2017 12:41 PM

Apr 2016
Damn, a cliffhanger !!
One of my personal favourites this season and it's been a while since I saw a character development like Phos'.
8/10
Dec 23, 2017 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
This is another one of the interesting 'last' episode of any anime for me. It didn't felt anything conclusion until the way it ended in monotone voice during last minutes.
In any case, this is one of the best hidden gem or might be(didn't watch RakugoS2 yet to clarify this claim) the best anime of 2017 for sure! Adaptation and pacing and development seemed so organic ,reminds me of MiA, but sadly this didn't reach decisive conclusion. Also this became one of my favorite 'coming-of-age' theme ever I watched.
9.5/10 from me. I really hope we get to see season 2 somewhere within two or year later...
removed-userDec 23, 2017 12:48 PM
Dec 23, 2017 12:49 PM
Feb 2015
God dammit, it's going to be a long and arduous wait for season 2 (if there is one, here's hoping).

Also, that new version of the OP was beautiful, wish we had heard it more often.
Dec 23, 2017 12:51 PM

Sep 2013
I really want 2 season, and Ghost Quartz.
Dec 23, 2017 12:55 PM

Jul 2016
I'll use an overused pun...

This Anime was clearly, both literally and figuratively, the gem of the season!

Dec 23, 2017 1:00 PM
Jun 2017
Zerity said:

Start at chapter 30, there were significant deviations from the manga starting there.
Dec 23, 2017 1:06 PM

Nov 2013
Two things I can't wait for, season 2 and the OST. Ep12's ED acoustic version of the OP was rather nice.
Dec 23, 2017 1:08 PM
Nov 2017
For reference to those wanting to continue with the manga, the anime covers ch 1 up to the middle of ch 31 and half of ch 36 tacked on for bookends purposes.

Hmm... They definitely mixed up and condensed a few chapters to wrap this season up in a bookends fashion. Can't say I dislike it, but I was really hoping it'd end with Phos trying to get the Lunarian to talk and cut it off right there. The last segment is anime original to wrap things up. It's a nice take to see how far Phos came, but sad all the same. I know we all miss our little miss snarker. Don't worry.

On the other hand, season 2 should it come will skip over New Work (ch 36) and backtrack a bit to just after the Lunarian scene. Thinking about it though, I can see how ch 36 really can fit anywhere since it almost looks like a flashback in the manga (but not really).

A couple of minor nitpicks that would have fleshed this episode out a little more would be Yellow's self reflection about spoiling Zircon. It's really minor, but I feel like it would add a little characterization. The Hollow Sunspot event also was relatively minor, and the important bits were probably appropriately extracted from it.

All in all, while the last 1 and half episodes may feel awkward to anime-only viewers, there's not much that can be done about it considering the 12-episode format. From here on though, things really heat up.

If you want to keep anime-only, hope for a season 2 announcement. I know I'm waiting for it. Otherwise, please continue to the manga for more answers. You won't be disappointed.
Dec 23, 2017 1:12 PM

Feb 2015
The ep was nice. I liked how they recycled some moments from 1st ep but used new models with them, like when Morga called for Phos or when Phos was at sensei's place.

The show had few fails, the cgi -drawing mix wasn't always perfect as there were scenes that would look a lot better if they weren't drawn imo but it was generally enjoyable. Every ep has 24min but it never felt so long which means that it was never boring for me and so, even if it wasn't perfect it will stay in my favs. That blushing Shinsha was cute too.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 23, 2017 1:21 PM

Mar 2016
I NEED A SEASON TWO SO BADLY LIKE OH MY GOD

i want phos to find out the truth..... such a gem of a show

9/10
Dec 23, 2017 1:26 PM

Nov 2011
bruh, wheres my season 2.
Hate Keeps me warm
Dec 23, 2017 1:33 PM

May 2014
Padparadscha and Phos's talk was the highlight of the episode for me. Even though they were only awake for a short time they made a big impression. Romi Park being their voice actress probably helped XD Definitely in need of a season 2. It's a shame it wasn't announced immediately after the last episode. We'll just have to wait and see~

Overall this adaptation was amazing! I'm a big fan of the manga, so when it was first announced that it was going to be in cg, i was dreading another Berserk 2016. But i'm super happy it's pretty much set the bar for cg anime. I'm really glad it's got such a positive reaction. The mal score climbing up to over an 8 is great too^^

9/10 from me.
Dec 23, 2017 1:39 PM

Nov 2014
No.....NOOOOO! I need a Season 2 right now!
Pad's voice though.........OMG, it sounds so dreamy! He only really appears briefly but he made such an impression on me the first time I read the manga. Definitely one of the favorite characters. They mixed up the adaptation a bit and included "New Job", as expected.

9/10. Hoping for a Season 2. The manga has enough content for it.
Dec 23, 2017 1:44 PM

Apr 2014
i want my S2 now damnit
Dec 23, 2017 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
Second season, please please please!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2017 2:01 PM
Dec 2015
That was quite a nice ending. While I would have preferred if they ended it with Phos capturing the lunarian to serve as a cliffhanger for a possible season 2, making the story go full circle helped the anime obtain some sort of closure in case there is no further seasons.

I'm also surprised to know that that gem in the flashback was Heliodor all along. I always saw people speculate that it was perhaps a young Diamond, Morga, or some other unknown gem, but there was never a way to confirm.
I do wish we could get a closer look at the 3D model, though.
ApsidelosDec 23, 2017 2:04 PM
Dec 23, 2017 2:07 PM
Mar 2015
The ending felt like we are getting Season2
Dec 23, 2017 2:32 PM
Oct 2017
There are two translation that didn't went so well I want to talk about.

First is when Phos told CInnabar he will find him a new job, it's supposed to a "fun" job, not "better". Phos forgot the "fun" part and the memory lost is supposed reflect the personality change. However, because they botched up the translation in the first episode they now ruined it in this episode where it has important implication.

Second is when Phos said "okay/yes". It's supposed to have a joke which is how newborn Phos couldn't speak properly yet, but the translation didn't shpw that at all.
Dec 23, 2017 2:43 PM

Dec 2016
Sad to see the anime end but knowing I own the 3 volumes of the manga that are out and that I have the next two preordered is a nice thought and thing to have. God I loved this show and this way by far the most unknown, pardon the pun, gem of the entire 2017 year imo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 23, 2017 2:59 PM

Aug 2014
liked it and caught up with the manga after episode 3 orso because i couldnt wait but im a litle sad they never got to the lapis lazuli parts..
Dec 23, 2017 3:26 PM

May 2012
I started to watch this anime this week cause i saw a post on facebook then i decided to look at the trailer and i liked the art (yeah i don't have problems with CGI like others have) and the story seemed interesting enough.

I watched it all already and i really liked everything in this anime, the characters, the setting, the interactions...everything was really fun to watch.

Padparadscha is the cool type of character, it's a pity she was asleep and was only able to stay awake for a short period. I wanted to see she interacting with all the others.

I really hope we get a second season.
KaeUBWDec 23, 2017 3:30 PM
I despise woke people.
Dec 23, 2017 3:43 PM

Aug 2014
but whyyyyyyyy??? I hate when i'm left with this curiosity. So this means there's gonna be a second season? I can't wait
This has become one of my favourite animes ever, I'm giving it a 10.
Dec 23, 2017 4:19 PM
Jul 2014
I'm so happy . Its score now is 8.40 :3
Dec 23, 2017 4:33 PM

Jan 2014
WHAT THE HELL. The score just shot up by .30 lol. Whoever said the score would easily be around 8.40 in a previous thread, well you were right. I'm so happy for this show. It was extremely good and surpassed all my expectations. The CGI brings in some nostalgia, for sure. I'm really hoping for another season. This was easily one of the best shows of 2017 imo.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 23, 2017 4:43 PM

Dec 2016
I was excited by the awakening of Padparadscha, didn't last for long though, oit went back to sleep pretty quickly.

That was funny seeing Alex in sensei's clothes.

Wow Cinnabar wiped them out so quickly.

Phos did make some progress, that lunarian does have eyes and and tried to speak.

That was funny watching Cinnabar running away from Phos.

Looks like Cinnabar has decided to finally open up a bit to Phos though, hope to see more of those 2.

Interesting looking island they are on.

Defintely one of the best animes this season for me 9/10.

Really hope there is a 2nd season sometime.
Dec 23, 2017 4:59 PM

Apr 2009
Ain't that the biggest "read the manga" ending ever

Good thing I already did though, it's so good
Dec 23, 2017 5:17 PM

Aug 2013
Welp time to read the manga. This was actually the best of the season for me.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 23, 2017 5:25 PM

Sep 2013
Not the most climactic of finales, and that ending. Hoh boy, that's some serious sequel bait right there.
Dec 23, 2017 5:33 PM
Dec 2015
Niello said:
There are two translation that didn't went so well I want to talk about.

First is when Phos told CInnabar he will find him a new job, it's supposed to a "fun" job, not "better". Phos forgot the "fun" part and the memory lost is supposed reflect the personality change. However, because they botched up the translation in the first episode they now ruined it in this episode where it has important implication.

Second is when Phos said "okay/yes". It's supposed to have a joke which is how newborn Phos couldn't speak properly yet, but the translation didn't shpw that at all.

Yeah, the way they changed "fun" with "better" really didn't have the same impact.

As for the other one,

Dec 23, 2017 5:38 PM

Jun 2013
Goodbye Cinnabar, always with you ;_;

I liked Houseki no Kuni a lot, but I feel it very limited, I'm still not sure if it was because of the setting presented or just because of the adaptation.

8.4/10
AOTS, imo

Armisrael
The fate of Destruction▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Deviant
is also the joy of Rebirth ▬ ▬▬Beast
Twtr
Arael
Dec 23, 2017 5:40 PM
Apr 2016
Oh man this show is freaking awesome! It'll be my contender for anime of the year along with Made in Abyss.

It's amazing how organically the plot and dialogue flows, much as it happens in real life, and the animations are incredibly fluid too. It's just so masterful with sound, camera work, characters, action and everything else!

I really want to know what Sensei was going to say to Phos, but even without knowing it was a really nice but unusual ending in that it felt mostly like a regular episode up until the last 5 min.

For me, this is an easy 10/10, up there with Made in Abyss this year
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Dec 23, 2017 6:04 PM
Jul 2017
Alex-senpai

I need a second season.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The opening is a masterpiece

meyve - May 14

17 by m4th_tuberculose »»
May 16, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

110 by chandlergray »»
May 16, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

107 by ViSpace »»
May 14, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2017

104 by ViSpace »»
May 14, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

210 by ViSpace »»
May 13, 2:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.